IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

The number is a glorification of Lord Krishna

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The number pi has infinite number of decimal places. It has a central place in almost all major mathematical and astrophysical calculation. The value of pi to 32 decimal places is - 31415926535897932384626433832792. From school students to top-notch scientists every one uses pi. Actually this number pi can be seen as a glorification of Lord Krishna. This is how.

In Vedic Mathematics (much like ancient Tamil works), a number is represented by consonents (kh, m etc.) and vowels (a, e etc.) are added without affecting the values. So pi is represented in Sanskrit as follows :

Gopi bhaagya madhu vraata

Shrngisho dadhisandhiga

Khalajivita khaataava

Galahaataarasandhara

thus glorifying the Lord. For those who are interested in understanding

the details,

The coding key is given as Kaadi nav, taadi nav, paadi panchak, yaadashtak ta ksha shunyam Translated as below

letter "ka" and the following eight letters

letter "ta" and the following eight letters

letter "pa" and the following four letters

letter "ya" and the following seven letters, and

letter "ksha" for zero.

In other words,

ka, ta, pa, ya = 1

kha, tha, pha, ra = 2

ga, da, ba, la = 3

gha, dha, bha, va = 4

gna, na, ma, scha = 5

cha, ta, sha = 6

chha, tha, sa = 7

ja, da, ha = 8

jha, dha = 9

ksha = 0

For those of you who don't know or remember the varnmala, here it is:

ka kha ga gha gna

cha chha ja jha inya

Ta Tha Rda Dha Rna

ta tha da dha na

pa pha ba bha ma

ya ra la va scha

sha sa ha chjha tra gna

Thus pa pa is 11, ma ra is 52. Words kapa, tapa , papa, and yapa all mean the same that is 11. It was upto the author to choose one that fit the meaning of the verse well. Go is ga + O. Ga = 3 and O is a vowel so it hs no value. The second letter in Gopi, pi is p + e, where p = 1 and e the vowel has only poetic value. This way if we go through each letter, we get that the number pi is a glorification of Lord Krishna.

This is based on the wbsite http://www1.ics.uci.edu/~rgupta/vedic.html

[This message has been edited by ram (edited 06-23-2002).]

Has anyone read the book 'Contact' by Carl Sagan? I have heard that in the book he does give a possibility of God existing. He said that if God existed He might have left a clue in mathematics, and I think in the book Carl Sagan gives an example based on Pi. Can anyone who has read the book explain this example in simple English?

It kind of reminds me of Fibonacci number sequences that I have been told exist within nature. Its a mysterious world we live in.

I have read the book. According to the book if we convert Pi into another number system (perhaps the system mentioned is binary though I am not sure as I am forgetting) instead of decimal, then we will get the clue. In the book some scientists use computer to decipher the clue and they succeed. But, it is not written what the clue is.

Guest guest

Originally posted by Avinash:

I have read the book. According to the book if we convert Pi into another number system (perhaps the system mentioned is binary though I am not sure as I am forgetting) instead of decimal, then we will get the clue. In the book some scientists use computer to decipher the clue and they succeed. But, it is not written what the clue is.

We should pass it by Carl Sagan and see what he thinks. We dont have to convert it into a any thing other than a decimal system. All we have to do is represent it in Vedic system. It is indeed amazing that pi and the Lord share a lot of common properties :

1. pi is unique and so is the Lord

2. pi has infinite number of decimal places and also the Lord

3. Without the pi, one cannot try to understand the universe. The same applies to the Lord.

4. The decimals in pie are random - infinite variety. So is the Lord.

The list I believe is end less.

Guest guest

Originally posted by gHari:

Who'd have thought that transcendental infinity could be hidden in something as simple as a circle?

The root of the word used to denote the circle and complete is the same in sanskrit.

In case anyone didn’t know what the Fibonacci numbers are, basically they are a repeating pattern of numbers as follow: 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13 etc… basically the next number in the sequence is the prior two numbers added together. Below is a website that explains in some detail the occurrence of Fibonacci numbers in nature. It’s a bit graphic intensive but interesting.

http://ccins.camosun.bc.ca/~jbritton/fibslide/jbfibslide.htm

I don't think that there are compelling arguments to prove that pi represents God. If we want we can find many interesting properties in some other physical constant also and think that it represents God.

The material metaphor of the circle shows that there is a phenomenon that cannot be located on a line in space, and therefore mathematicians call pi a transcendental number. This perhaps alludes to the possibility that there are other things that exist which also cannot be found within the boundaries of space, and are therefore transcendental.

All roads lead to Rome. Little hints abound (the taste of water, etc.) that point us to the overwhelming Ultimate fantastic Truth, Sri Krsna.

Guest guest

Originally posted by Avinash:

I don't think that there are compelling arguments to prove that pi represents God. If we want we can find many interesting properties in some other physical constant also and think that it represents God.

Ofcourse, every thing represents Krishna.

In the case of pi. it is not just the properties. The fact that it unfolds in to a sloka in praise of the Lord is the beauty.

Speaking of mathematics, I once came across a book in the library that described all sorts of math tricks that enabled one to do very quick calculations. It was a translation of a sanskrit document of some sort. Anyways, the tricks worked quite well, though I never learned them well enough to perform on the spot. One thing it noted was that in doing calculations it is best to go from the left to the right, as opposed to the right to the left. In this way one didn't have to hold the carryover in one's mind, and so it made mental math much easier. But I don't recall any of the details.

Guest guest

Vedic Mathematics is considered as mere set arithmetic tricks. But it would be unnecessary for a primitive civilization to manipulate huge numbers. I believe Vedic mathematics can be used to create Sacred Geometry that can have subtle effect on matter.

What are the principles of sacred geometry? I remember seeing a program once about Greek notions of proportions in buildings. They had an entire science on how to balance the look of room, the structure etc... to create the most pleasing environment. I wonder if this is technically a subtle effect on the mind, or if it just looks nice so since it is pleasing it is good for the mind. I'm not sure I'm explaining it well, but is it mystical vibrations, or is it just attractive.

Something I found quickly while going through "Om Shalom" a book by Steven Rosen.

Rabbi Shimmel: Yes. Right. This is the sort of thing... Many pages have been dedicated to understanding these things. In Hebrew this is called, by the Kabbalists... this is Gematria. The letters of the Hebrew and Greek alphabets stood for numbers and were analyzed in very complex ways by the Kabbalists. Gematria. This included notarikon, or the science of the first and last letters of words, and temurah, or the science of the permutations and combinations of letters. This is taken even further today, and modern linguists and scholars marvel at the mysterious "codes" that can be found concealed in the Torah.

The letters of the Bible, it was believed, had hidden meaning - a mystic interpretation. An example is the word "money" in the text: "And the King said to Haman, 'the money is given to you...'" (Esther 3:11). The letters of the Hebrew word add up to 165, and the Hebrew word for "gallows" also adds up to 165. So the money is connected to the gallows, upon which our unfortunate Haman was eventually to hang. There are thousands of inner interpretations of biblical texts that draw on the Gematria method.

You know, you were talking about multiples of three... Actually, the number 9, which is also... it is... if you add 1+8, or 18 (since you said that 18 was an importand number), you get 9. Or ig you add the digits 108 - you get 9. It has great meaning in the Kabbalistic tradition. All multiples of 9 added together become 9. For example, 18 X 9 =162, of which 1 + 6 + 2 = 9. You can do it with any multiple of 9.

Oh, also, the ninth letter of the Hebrew alphabet is teth, which means "serpent". So this letter is closely associated with the Garden of Eden and the story of Adam and Eve with the serpent... Also Moses is often credited with transforming serpents into "upright serpents" (his staff, you know) by his special gift from God. This shows an esoteric link between teth, the number 9, and the serpent figure in biblical literature. It goes on and on... Just like that number 18 - very profound. The Gematria of Chai - the Hebrew word for "life" is 18. This is revealed in Tanya, an eighteenth century work by Rabbi Shneur Zalman of Lyady (1745-1813). This Tanya is full of mystical concepts... this is the basis of Hasidic thought, especially Lubavitch.

Satyaraj Dasa: And the word Chai - although you pronounce it with inimitable "c-h" sound, which I think is guttural... "explosive" guttural is what they call it. Whatever - but you Chai is like the root of our Chaitanya, which also means "life", or "life-force". It's interesting that this Chai is mentioned in Tanya, because if you put Chai and tanya together you get....

Rabbi Shimmel: Chaitanya. I never thought of that. [laughter]

Avinashji: avinAshi - avinAzi tu tad viddhi...

yena sarvam idaM tatam

vinAzam avyayasyAsya

na kazcit kartum arhasi

Wisse, das, was den gesamten Körper durchdringt, ist unzerstörbar.

Niemand kann die unvergängliche (indestructible) Seele töten.

===========================

I recall being perturbed early on in élementary school that diameter/circumference ratio was NOT exactly 3 or 3.1 or 3.2.

Those were my finiter days.

One NJ devotee mathematician uses e for his email: cc27183

Mathematicians think of ananta - infinity all day long 24/7.

Prime numbers fascinate them to no end.

That's y they never quite 'fit into' limited space society.

for those interested there is also a movie almost exactly based on the discussion here..

simply titled: PI

while attempting to decode the numerical pattern within the ultimate system of chaos-the stock market, a brilliant numerologist becomes pursed by a Kaballah sect intent on unlocking the secrets behind their ancient holy texts.

this movie won awards at the sundance film festival a few years ago.