IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
mark

kriya yoga

Rate this topic

Does anybody here have any experience with practicing Kriya Yoga and the teachings of Paramamsa Yogananda? If so, could you please share your thoughts with me. I just got the book, Autobiography of a Yogi and I'm starting to read it so I don't know a whole lot about this method of God Consciousness yet. Thank you.

Mark

Guest guest

I read that book a decade or so back. Though I forgot the details, I remember it is an interesting book. There are much greater yogis still living in the Himalayas. But would suggest not to waste time on that. Even though there are many yogis and they have good things to offer, the best of them is Yogeswara. Yogeswara is another name of Krishna, the Supreme God. All mystic perfections emanate from Him only. Bhagavad Gita, last verse yatra yogeswara krishna talks about the fruit of being Krishna Conscious.

When one chants

hare krishna hare krishna krishna krishna hare hare

hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare

he engages the toungue, ears, mind, hands, legs (if sitting/walking), eyes and nose (smelling the agarbathi) in perfect meditation. More than that one is invoking the infinite energies of the names of the Lord which is divine and blissful. Harvard Medical Report talks about the positive effect of japa meditation on the humnan nervous system, effect on overall attitude toward life and ability to cure psychosomatic diseases. There are many books on japa meditation and holy names which you will find in many ISKCON centers. Developing love for God is the easy way to meditate on Him and chanting His names is a recommended process for developing that love.

[This message has been edited by ram (edited 06-01-2002).]

Parmamahamsa Yogananda wrote a translation and commentary on Bhagavad Gita which he finished in 1932. He died in 1952 and the work was published in 1995 as 'God Talks with Arjuna The Bhagavad Gita Royal Science of God-realization by the Self -Realization Fellowship, which was originally founded in 1920.

He quotes extensively from the teaching of Jesus in his purports and accepts him as a divine avatar. He wrote several other books besides the well-know 'Autobiography of a Yogi and his lectures and talks have been published under such titles as 'Man's Eternal Quest, The Divine Romance, Wine of the Mystic (The Rubaiyat of Omar Kayyam-A spiritual interpretation), Whispers from Eternity, The Science of Religion, How You Can Talk With God, Metaphysical Meditations ( a compilation of over 300 mediations and prayers). Definetly not an impersonalist and (in my opinion) in the Bhakti line.

Sri parahamsa yogananda.. 's way is one of the several ways leading to the divine.. One should practice the yoga that his nature has a natural inclination to... A person who likes to work..reaches god through karma yoga. A person who lives in emotions.. reaches the god easily through bhakti.. One who lives in the mind, reaches the lord through jnana yoga.. the destination for all these paths are the same.. More often than not, the aspirant practices all these ways... in part to reach the god.. Eventually everything is to be dedicated to him..to live in his conciousness entirely..

Jnâna-Yoga is a path oriented towards realizing the eternal in its transcendent aspect. The emphasis of Jnâna-Yoga is on the discernment of pure awareness from nature and all temporal phenomenon. The jnâna-yogin seeks to uncover his true Self, the âtman, in its state separate from body or mind. He believes that anything which undergoes change is not his Self, and should be transcended. Shankara and Ramana Maharshi are two of the best known exponents of this path, and the principal texts are the Brahma-Sûtra and some of the Upanishads.

The sâdhana of the jnâna-yogin consists in the practice of applying the maxim neti neti, "not this, not this," to anything which is not eternal. By denying what is transient, he hopes to abide in the eternal. He seeks not so much to grow towards a spiritual goal, but to transcend all modifications of nature, that which has the potential for growth or decay.

The advantage of Jnâna-Yoga is that it provides a strong focus on the goal of Self-realization. Because the jnâna-yogin seeks the transcendent, he can remain detached from the emotional traumas, physical problems, and the desire for the fruits of Yoga practice (such as siddhis or paranormal powers) that plague aspirants on other paths. The disadvantage of Jnâna-Yoga is that it can easily draw the aspirant into a deluded mental condition. It is easy for the inexperienced aspirant to confuse the elevated state of transcendence of body and mind with his own psychological condition of dissociation from body and personality. The former is a state of enlightenment, the latter is closer to autism. Immature jnâna-yogins often fail to recognize that God has two aspects: eternal stillness and eternal activity.

By falling down on one side of the fence, by focusing solely on being, they fail to realize the joy of doing, the aspect of God in activity. Râja-Yoga, literally "kingly Yoga," is that branch of Yoga which focuses primarily on meditation. The goal of Râja-Yoga is the attainment of samadhi, a state of God awareness accessible to the still, contemplating practitioner. The râja-yogin seeks to quiet all aspects of his body and mind, and enter into a transcendent state beyond nature. Some schools define the highest samâdhi as taking place when the breath has stopped, obviously necessitating that the body be in an immobile posture. Patanjali is generally recognized as the foremost exponent of Râja-Yoga, and his Yoga-Sûtra are the primary text of this discipline.

The advantage of Râja-Yoga is that it is a very precise system which is accessible to anyone, regardless of current spiritual status. Râja-Yoga is a science, in which each stage of accomplishment brings an increasing degree of peace and wisdom. Any beginner can grab hold of the ladder of Râja-Yoga and undertake practices which will eventually lead to the summit of samâdhi. In addition, Râja-Yoga has been so well explored that its system has been mapped very clearly, making it possible for the aspirant to work within a contextual framework in which he can understand his accomplishments and obstacles.

The disadvantage of Râja-Yoga is that to truly climb its summit one would do well to live a rather isolated existence. Râja-Yoga requires great periods of time for meditation in a form which is best done in seclusion. It also demands extensive sâdhanas for which the contemporary aspirant likely does not have the time.

Hatha-Yoga is a branch of Yoga that requires the aspirant to devote colossal amounts of time to physical processes, such as prânâyâma (breath and energy exercises), and âsanas (physical exercises). Hatha-Yoga attempts to purify the nervous system and strengthen the body to such a degree that the hatha-yogin attains a state of freedom from heat or cold, pain and pleasure, even hunger and thirst. Accomplished hatha-yogin can remain without food or water for periods of time unreachable by the untrained human being. The Hatha-Yoga tradition also claims that its adherents can attain great siddhis, such as the ability to walk on water or fly in the air. Two of the most renowned texts of this tradition are the Hatha-Yoga-Pradîpikâ and the Gheranda-Samhitâ.

The advantage of Hatha-Yoga practice is that it transforms the ordinary human body into a powerful vessel capable of great vitality and long life. In this way, the aspirant is not delayed in his sâdhana by illness or physical discomfort. In addition, by extending the period of life the aspirant will, in theory, have enough time to complete his course of spiritual practice. Some schools even seek to create a physical, or super-physical body capable of corporeal immortality.

The disadvantage of Hatha-Yoga practice is, like Râja-Yoga, a matter of quantity rather than quality. Hatha-Yoga can certainly bring a person to enlightenment, but its demands are unsuited to all but those who are ready to commit themselves to severe discipline. The true hatha-yogin must live in isolation from ordinary society and undertake radical practices requiring fasting and potentially dangerous austerities. His sâdhanas will take most of his day and night, leaving little time for other activities. If the Hatha-Yoga tradition is still being practiced in its authentic form, it is taking place in remote regions of wild areas, inaccessible to the curious or mildly determined.

Karma-Yoga is the Yoga of service to others and to God. It is a suitable orientation for those of an active nature, those who wish to work for the manifestation of the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth. The main thrust of the practice is the renunciation of fruits of action. That is, activities are undertaken for their own sake, the results being left to God. Activities are assumed for the benefit of the greater good, without concern for personal benefit. The path of Karma-Yoga is described in detail in the Bhagavad-Gîtâ.

The advantage of Karma-Yoga is that it transforms activity from selfish, goal based-action that results in binding karma, to selfless, ego-free action which produces no karma. In addition, Karma-Yoga is suitable for everyone. As Shri Krishna points out in the Bhagavad-Gîtâ, no one is free from action for even a moment. Life in a body is based on action, and even the most reclusive hermit is constantly involved in some form of activity, no matter how subtle. The applicability of Karma-Yoga for the busy modern person, whose responsibilities certainly exceed those of the hermit, is thus apparent.

The disadvantage of Karma-Yoga is that it can quickly become a slippery slope of workaholism in the guise of spiritual endeavor. The world is always going to need healing. If one were to work at service twenty-three hours a day, when he laid his head down to rest on the twenty-fourth hour there would still exist a multitude of uncompleted tasks and projects. Shankara's objection to Karma-Yoga was that no amount of activity can produce spiritual growth because spiritual growth is the result of wisdom born of inner stillness. If this stillness is lost to an outer focus, regardless of good intentions, then Karma-Yoga becomes a force of positive social action, but nothing more profound.

Bhakti-Yoga is the path of love and devotion. The beauty of Bhakti-Yoga is that it is so accessible to anyone, regardless of spiritual development, because the aspirant is free to establish a relationship with God in any form that he finds attractive. In addition, it satisfies the primal craving inherent in the soul of all beings — the desire for love. Bhakti-Yoga satisfies this urge within a spiritual context, permitting love and devotion to be cultivated and directed in a healthy manner. The Nârada's Bhakti-Sûtra and portions of the Bhagavad-Gîtâ outline this path.

[This message has been edited by bhaktajoy (edited 06-02-2002).]

I too have wondered about what is kriya yoga. I have asked people before, but not once have I been given a good explanation. Like what are the fundamental principles, practices etc.... A Kriya Yogi, what does he do on a day to day basis as a spiritual practice? I really would be interested if anyone knows.

Autobiography of a Yogi has a chapter specifically about Kriya Yoga.

A kriya yogi, someone initiated into the technique, practices kriya daily in morning and night meditations. One correctly practiced kriya, as explained in the AY, takes about a half a minute and is the equivalent of one year of natural evolution. The liberating technique enables even the beginning devotee to have direct personal communion with God.

Kriya yoga is part of the Raja Yoga how-to-live system taught by Paramahansa Yogananda, who in 1920 founded Self-Realization Fellowship to spread the teaching worldwide and preserve their purity. Yogananda called kriya the airplane route to God. I would suggest browsing the SRF site for more information.

http://www.yogananda-srf.org/aboutsrf

To be able to practice Ky with any benefit, one needs to learn from a proper teacher. Parmahansa's techniques are taught at several centres- if you tell us where u are, perhaps we can locate a center close to you. I certainly would not advise you to learn from any book- if available. The autobiography you will notice does not give specifics of the technique and this omission I believe is intentional to prevent the uninitiated from harm.

Guest guest

I am afraid that there is no centre that I am aware of near Bangalore. However, you could try contacting any of the following_

Yogoda Satsanga

Ashram Center,

Dakshineswar

Yogoda Satsanga Math, 21, U.N. Mukherjee Road Dakshineswar KOLKATA 700 076 WEST BENGAL

Tel: 91-33-2564-5931

91-33-2564-6208

91-33-2564-2366

Yogoda Satsanga

Ashram Center,

Dwarahat

Yogoda Satsanga Sakha Ashram Dwarahat 263653 District Almora, Uttaranchal

Tel: 91-5966-258271

Yogoda Satsanga

Ashram Center,

Ranchi

Yogoda Satsanga Branch Math, Paramahansa Yogananda Path, RANCHI 834 001 JHARKHAND

Tel: 91-651-246-0074

91-651-246-1578

91-651-246-0071

Best of luck

Kriya Yoga has several connotations. One common one is associated with Swami Yogananda Paramahansa- and the addresses I have given is in that connection. Another commonly used connection is that of the Bihar School of Yoga- founded by Swami Satyananda Saraswati- Kriya Yoga has a different meaning in this context. The traditional Hatha Yoga tradition also deals with Kriya but that is generally limited to the Shatkarma. (six actions) which are body cleansing processes.

As to whether it has any special meaning in ISKCON I have no idea, since I am not a follower of the ISCKON school.

I usually do not like to cut and paste- but in this case the best explanations is in the words of Yogananda Paramhansa himself:- Quote

My guru, Sri Yukteswar, liked a chant that I have translated, two lines from which go, "Pranayama be thy religion. Pranayama will give thee salvation."

"Pranayama means control of the energy in the body, and its direction upward through the spine to the brain and to the Christ center between the eyebrows. This alone is the pathway of awakening. It isn't a matter of dogma or belief. It is simply the way we were all made by God.

"The consciousness enters the body by way of the brain and the spine. When the sperm and ovum unite to create the physical body, they do so at what becomes the medulla oblongata, at the base of the brain.

"From this medulla, the life force moves out into the brain, down the spine and into the nervous system, then on to the muscles, etc., creating the body.

"The way out of the body, then, is to reverse this process. The difficulty in doing so lies in the fact that the life force is already conditioned by birth to continue its outward direction— through the senses and onward to the environment as it is perceived through the senses. Thus, we think to possess the world and to enjoy it through the body.

"We can never experience anything outside ourselves, however, except vicariously, as the senses report their impressions to the brain. We may try to expand our understanding of the world by study, or our enjoyment of it through sense pleasures. The fact remains, we can never know anything except through the medium of the senses, so long as the life force remains trapped in the body.

"There is a way out, however. It is for the life-force to merge with the cosmic energy; for the consciousness to merge in the infinite consciousness.

"The way to accomplish this end is to withdraw the life force from the senses, and center it in the spine; to direct it upward through the spine to the brain, and thence out through the Christ center between the eyebrows.

"The ego is centered in the medulla oblongata. This is the negative pole of self-consciousness. The positive pole is situated at the Christ center. Concentration at this center—in the spiritual eye, the seat of spiritual vision—projects the consciousness beyond the ego into Infinity.

"The spine is the highway to the Infinite. Your own body is the temple of God. It is within your own self that God must be realized. Whatever places of pilgrimage you visit outwardly, and whatever outward rituals you perform, the ultimate 'pilgrimage' must be within. And the ultimate religious rite must be the offering of your life-force on the altar of inner God-communion.

"That was why Jesus said, 'Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.' 'He spake,' the Bible adds, 'of the temple of his body.' (John 2:19,21) "This is the path of Kriya Yoga."

Guest guest

I am the param disciple of yogananda.

Means My guru - Hariharananda is direct disciple of yogananda.

Experience is nice. I am least affected by unnecessary

emotions. Life is cool.

Ofcourse some psychic and subtle experiences.

you can communicate with me by email :

ychinmay@

phone : ( India ) 09342857472 / 91-80-57600514

Guest guest

hi there, i did my second level kriya yoga course in bangalore in 2002. this is another school started by babaji.

though there are political problems among the various major kriya schools, the fact is that they complement each other. thus it is best to take the best from each school and concentrate on practice and trust in god.

contact info :

"Babaji's Kriya Yoga Order of

Acharyas Trust", Post Box No. 5608 Malleswaram West,

Bangalore 560 055 tel.+91-(0)80-2356.0252

Email Neelakantan at info.in@babaji.ca

also see http://www.babaji.ca/english/

Guest guest

you better write a letter to yss india requesting to send details of kriya yoga. they will send you form to get initialisation course . this initial course will extend for one and half years then only u will get diksha

Guest guest

What is the differences and relations between the different kriya yoga schools? Bihar tradition? Yoganada Parahamsa? Babaji?

Anyone know of somewhere in Singapore to learn kriya yoga?