IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
jijaji

Bhagavad Gita controversy

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Originally posted by karthik_v:

Ram prabhu,

Reproducing below what I had posted earlier. Does this not mean that the realization attained, that is Brahman realization as found from 5:24-5:28, the highest? Another request - can you please use quotes, bold and italics to improve readability. That helps in long posts.

As far as the verse 5.28 goes Sankara's words are sada muktha : sa: na thasya mokshaayaanya: karthavyo'sthi

Basham is not only using Sankara's bhashyam in the place of Gita as I said earlier. He is using half the sentence so that he can build his story. Sankara clearly says karthavyo'sthi to link it to the next verse bhoktaaraam yajna tapasaam. That way he establishes the activities performed by such a jivan mukta. Had Basham atleast read Sankara's commentary, he would not have thought that the verses 5:28 and 5:29 are without link. Children find it difficult to put together a jigsaw puzzle not adults. Similarly, an indologist may find it difficult to link the words of the Lord but not the acharyas.

Originally posted by ram:

Sankara clearly says karthavyo'sthi to link it to the next verse bhoktaaraam yajna tapasaam. That way he establishes the activities performed by such a jivan mukta. Had Basham atleast read Sankara's commentary, he would not have thought that the verses 5:28 and 5:29 are without link. Children find it difficult to put together a jigsaw puzzle not adults. Similarly, an indologist may find it difficult to link the words of the Lord but not the acharyas.

That is a powerful and valid argument. I agree that this certainly exposes ALB's basic premise as flawed. Also, my earlier response that multiple paths to realization can also be found in SU negates ALB's basic premise. Can you write more on how the successive verses are linked to present a series? Perhaps, you or others can present the writings of Sankara and other Vaishnava or GV acaryas in this specific regard.

Guest guest

... Can you write more on how the successive verses are linked to present a series? Perhaps, you or others can present the writings of Sankara and other Vaishnava or GV acaryas in this specific regard.

I think this is a thread by itself. If no one else starts it, I hope to try it some time. Why dont you proceed with the next argument ?