IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Sarasvati

Radharani's age

Rate this topic

I need to know how "old" was Srimati Radharani when a) Rasa-dance took place, and b) when Krishna left for Mathura? I've understood She was a year older to Krishna during Their pastimes. Am I correct? I just need these details for a writing project.

Brahm-Vaivarta Puran says that, according to the curse of Sridama, there had to be separation between Krsna and Radha for 100 years. By reading the purana, I could find that the separation started when Krsna went to Mathura. But it was not clear to me when it ended. May be it ended just before Krsna left the Earth. But, I am not sure.

Thanks. But what I need to know is Srimati Radharani's age, ie. was She 9 or 10 during Rasa-lila? Was She about 15 or 16 when Krishna left Mathura? These are details I need for a kids' story. I somehow couldn't find the answers in the Krishna-book - perhaps I didn't read carefully enough.

I read whole of KrsnaJanma khand of Brahm Vaivarta Puran because I guessed that I could get the answer there. I found that Krsna was 11 years when He went to Mathura. This makes Radha's age 12 years at that time if Radha was 1 year older than Krsna. But I am not sure if Radha was one year older than Krsna.

According to Srila Prabhupada's "Krishna Book", Krishna was 7 or 8 years old at the time of the rasa dance (The words used are "during his eighth year", which according to Indian language usage could refer to the seventh year being over and eighth year commencing, or it could be the western usage of the eighth year being over).

Krishna Book is a spontaneous and flowing translation of the tenth canto of Srimad Bhagavatam, so there are no references to the verses. I believe there is probably a verse in Bhagavatam that states the age period in terms of "kaumaram", etc., thus giving a rough idea of the periods when it occured.

[This message has been edited by jndas (edited 04-29-2002).]

Originally posted by Avinash:

So this means He was 7 or 8 at the time of rasa and 11 when He went to Mathura. But what was the age difference between Radha and Krsna?

According to the Paddhati of Dhyanacandra Gosvami (he refers to Brhad-gautamiya-tantra), the eternal ages (in nitya-lila) of Sri Radha and Sri Krishna are as follows:

Sri Radha: 14 years, 2 months, 15 days

Sri Krishna: 15 years, 9 months, 7 days

In other words, Sri Krishna is older than Radha, not the other way around. It would create an awkward situation of rasa if it was so.

In his commentary on Bhakti-rasamrta-sindhu, Sri Visvanatha Cakravartipada gives the following course of Krishna's age and his pastimes:

Gokula Mahavana: Birth - 3 years 4 months

Vrindavan, Raman Reti: 3 years 4 months - 6 years 8 months

Nandagram: 6 years 8 months - 10 years 7 months

At the age of 10 years, 7 months, on the dark fortnight of the month of Caitra, Sri Krishna left to Mathura.

Sri Visvanatha Cakravartipada further explains that He stayed in Mathura until the age of 28 years, four months, and then moved over to Dvaraka.

In the Vaisnava Tosani commentary on the Srimad Bhagavata, Sanatana Gosvami explains that Sri Krishna went to visit Vraja for two months after the killing of Dantavakra and Salva, and thereafter concluded His Vrindavana pastimes, mounting on a chariot to reach Dvaraka again.

In regards to His age during the Rasa-lila, we find the following in the Krishna-book, chapter 29:

"It appears from the statements of Srimad-Bhagavatam that Krishna had to wait another year for such a moon [saradiya purnima] before enjoying the rasa dance with the gopis. At the age of seven years He lifted Govardhana Hill. Therefore the rasa dance took place during His eighth year."

However, we should understand in this regard that the ages of Sri Sri Radha-Krishna and the gopis do not correspond to the regular growth of people; indeed, reading the Gita-govinda of Jayadeva, it is obvious that the Rasa-dance is not a pastime of eight-year old boys and girls, but rather that of adolescents. Sri Visvanatha Cakravartipada explains in the context of SB 10.45.3:

"The three years and four months that Lord Krishna stayed in Mahavana were the equivalent of five years for an ordinary child, and thus in that period He completed His kaumara stage of childhood. The period from then to the age of six years and eight months, during which He lived in Vrndavana, constitutes His paugaana stage. And the period from the age of six years and eight months through His tenth year, during which time He lived in Nandisvara [Nandagrama], constitutes His kaisora stage. Then, at the age of ten years and seven months, on the eleventh lunar day of the dark fortnight of the month of Caitra, He went to Mathura, and on the fourteenth day thereafter He killed Kamsa. Thus He completed His kaisora period at age ten, and He eternally remains at that age. In other words, we should understand that from this point on the Lord remains forever a kisora."

I hope this helps.

In other words, Sri Krishna is older than Radha, not the other way around. It would create an awkward situation of rasa if it was so.

Krishna is older than Radha according to the meditation of Dhyanachandra Goswami. But in the Lord's manifested pastimes on earth, Radha appeared before Lord Krishna.

The Lord manifests according to the meditation of the devotee, so characteristics found in one's meditation does not negate other characteristics of the Lord. In other words, to Dhyanachandra Goswami, Krishna is eternally 15 years old, but to another devotee, such as Yashoda, krishna is a small child.

Though the Rasa lila occurred during the seventh or eighth year of Lord Krishna's manifested pastime (i.e. avatara), Lord Krishna manifested a form as per the gopis attachment.

When daadi amma asked this question, then by the age of Radha at the time of Rasa, she meant the amount of time passed between the time the rasa took place and the time she appeared on Earth.

Yes, you are right, Avinash. And thanks to everyone - the answers have been most helpful and interesting. Nectar :-) Hugs to all of you :-) I'm looking forward to reading even more information, if anyone has any.

Respected Daadi Amma,

Do you remember where you read that Radha was one year older than Krsna. I have read that Radha was older than Krsna, but I could not find any clue about the age difference between them anywhere? Please post the source if you remember.

Avinash

(76 year old)

Originally posted by jndas:

Krishna is older than Radha according to the meditation of Dhyanachandra Goswami. But in the Lord's manifested pastimes on earth, Radha appeared before Lord Krishna.

The Lord manifests according to the meditation of the devotee, so characteristics found in one's meditation does not negate other characteristics of the Lord. In other words, to Dhyanachandra Goswami, Krishna is eternally 15 years old, but to another devotee, such as Yashoda, krishna is a small child.

Though the Rasa lila occurred during the seventh or eighth year of Lord Krishna's manifested pastime (i.e. avatara), Lord Krishna manifested a form as per the gopis attachment.

In aprakata-lila, Sri Radha and Krishna are nitya-nava-kisora and kisori. Other ages are manifest in the prakata-lila. Viz. Govinda-lilamrta and Krishna-Bhavanamrta, in the eternal daily pastimes of Goloka Vraja, the son of Yasoda is a youngster of fifteen years of age. The form of Bala-Krishna and his other forms are understood to manifest in the prakata-lila.

Radhastami is two weeks after Krishna Janmastami. But this does not solve the question of the year of Their birth. So -- references please for the idea that in prakata-lila, Sri Radha is older than Sri Krishna.

[This message has been edited by raga (edited 04-29-2002).]

My dear grandson (70+),

I just remember hearing about a very sweet pastime. Srimati Radharani was born (ie. appeared in this world) blind (or at least she refused to open Her eyes). Only after a year Krishna appeared. When Radhika's parents went to visit Mother Yashoda to see the new baby, Radharani crawled to the cradle and for the first time saw (or opened Her eyes). Now, I might have mixed up the pastime, and it was Krishna visiting Radharani's house as a one-year old baby, and as He bent over Her cradle, She opened Her eyes for the first time. I'm sorry that I don't remember where I heard this story - it was somebody's lecture... I've understood it's a well-known pastime. I'll try to check out the source if I can.

Guest guest

it is so complicated. i now know the spiritual reason why you shouldnt ask a lady's age

The form of Bala-Krishna and his other forms are understood to manifest in the prakata-lila.

Though this is seemingly presented by certain teachers, I disagree with it, as the entire Vallabha sampradaya keeps Bala Gopala as their Ishta devata. Lord Krishna manifests the form of His devotees desire, including the Bala Gopala form. The actual janma-lila may not occur, but the Bala Gopala form is shown to devotees.

Originally posted by Sarasvati:

My dear grandson (70+),

I just remember hearing about a very sweet pastime. Srimati Radharani was born (ie. appeared in this world) blind (or at least she refused to open Her eyes). Only after a year Krishna appeared. When Radhika's parents went to visit Mother Yashoda to see the new baby, Radharani crawled to the cradle and for the first time saw (or opened Her eyes). Now, I might have mixed up the pastime, and it was Krishna visiting Radharani's house as a one-year old baby, and as He bent over Her cradle, She opened Her eyes for the first time. I'm sorry that I don't remember where I heard this story - it was somebody's lecture... I've understood it's a well-known pastime. I'll try to check out the source if I can.

I was going to mention this one, but couldn't find the source of the pastime. At any rate, the way we've heard and read it is that it was Sri Krishna who crawled to the cradle of Radhaji.

Though this is seemingly presented by certain teachers, I disagree with it, as the entire Vallabha sampradaya keeps Bala Gopala as their Ishta devata. Lord Krishna manifests the form of His devotees desire, including the Bala Gopala form. The actual janma-lila may not occur, but the Bala Gopala form is shown to devotees.

I would like to note that it is not only seemingly, but very evidently presented by many prominent Gaudiya acaryas of the past, beginning from Srila Rupa Gosvami himself.

As for the Pusti-margis, their upasana does not lead to the same section of Goloka Vrindavan as the Gaudiyas' do, to Vraja. Nor do the Nimbarkis, they say it themselves, although they worship Radha-Krishna Yugal. The spiritual sky has many dimensions, it is broad enough to accommodate each upasaka according to their preference, but the place where the ones who follow the Gaudiya path of upasana go, there Sri Krishna is nitya-kisora; this is Vraja.

The spiritual sky has many dimensions, it is broad enough to accommodate each upasaka according to their preference, but the place where the ones who follow the Gaudiya path of upasana go, there Sri Krishna is nitya-kisora; this is Vraja.

That was what I was trying to hint at. It appeared from above statements that Krishna's form in the spiritual world is the one worshipped by Gaudiya's, and everyone else just has to come to this same platform.

In aprakata-lila, Sri Radha and Krishna are nitya-nava-kisora and kisori. Other ages are manifest in the prakata-lila.

This is the quote that made it appear so.

My point is that the Lord manifests His form according to the devotion of the bhakta, and thus different devotees will see different forms of the Lord, not only the 15 year old form of Lord Krishna.

Originally posted by jndas:

This is the quote that made it appear so.

My point is that the Lord manifests His form according to the devotion of the bhakta, and thus different devotees will see different forms of the Lord, not only the 15 year old form of Lord Krishna.

<center>ye yathA mAM prapadyante

tAMs tathaiva bhajAmy aham

mama vartmAnuvartante

manuSyAH pArtha sarvazaH</center>

"O son of Pritha, as all surrender to me, I certainly reciprocate accordingly. Everyone follows my path in all respects."

(Bhagavad-gita 4.11)

<center>tvaM bhakti-yoga-paribhAvita-hRt-saroja

Asse zrutekSita-patho nanu nAtha puMsAm

yad-yad-dhiyA ta urugAya vibhAvayanti

tat-tad-vapuH praNayase sad-anugrahAya</center>

"O Master, those who are fully absorbed bhakti-yoga, they see You through their ears (by hearing about you), and You reside on the lotus of their heart. On whichever of your multiglorious forms they especially meditate on you, in this very same form you manifest Yourself to them in your kindness."

(Srimad Bhagavata, 3.9.11)

quote:In aprakata-lila, Sri Radha and Krishna are nitya-nava-kisora and kisori. Other ages are manifest in the prakata-lila.

jndas: This is the quote that made it appear so.

I should have added -- in the place where the Gaudiyas are heading, Sri Krishna eternally manifests in the form of a nava-kisora, and they only experience his other forms during the prakata-lila, though of course a remembrance of all of His life is drawn on the canvas of their memories during aprakata-lila as well.

Forgive me for this particular Gaudiya bias. I tend to forget that not everyone in IndiaDivine has taken the path of Mahaprabhu.