IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
karthik_v

Need your advice

Rate this topic

Originally posted by Sirona:

Dear friends,

knowing that the Bhagavad Gita also recommends meditation I have joined a Buddhist group because I absolutely wanted to meditate together with others. My problem is not primarily that they are Buddhists but that they are selfish people I do not like to spend my time with, and that they teach odd things about sexuality, attachment to a certain guru by profession that I have neither trust nor faith in, and a general spirit that runs contrary to my personal sentiment of bhakti. I have no alternative to go if I want to meditate in a group and I am not sure whether it would be better to drop the meditation issue at all. In this situation I have no feeling about what Lord Krishna wants from me or would recommend me to do. So I am asking you what you consider to be the best - staying in or dropping it?

Hare Krishna Sirona,

I don't know where you live, but B K S Iyengar yoga classes are available all over the USA and India. They are Shri Vaishnavas and the classes include both yoga and meditation. I believe that they don't pretend to be gurus. May be you can try that option.

Originally posted by Rati:

Meditation is not actually a group practice anyways, so there would be no loss by dropping out and doing your meditation in solitude. The group practice that the followers of Bhagavad Gita engage in is congregational chanting of the holy names or sankirtana. The meditation practiced is either chanting mantras silently while counting on a string of wooden beads or visualization of the Supreme Lord's divine sports or lila. For beginners only the mantra meditation is recommended.

Based on you comments, it does not seem that this particular group of Buddhists has much integrity anyways.

[This message has been edited by Rati (edited 04-16-2002).]

There are many nice buddhists sanghas where people participate in group meditations. And yes group meditations have been a part of buddhism for a long time..that is what the sanga is all about! ust look at the Tai Forest Meditation traditions.

It does sound like the group you are with is controlling and perhaps unhealthy I agree with Ratijiwala on this.

Lesson learned..move on,

I would recommend looking for a group that people drop in as they please and run when people ask you weird questions about your personal life!

I personally like my own solitude in meditation so if I screech out in bliss I won't disturb anyone. Posted Image

But really.. I do like my own private meditation as I tend to be a bit unorthodox and incorporate a blend of esoteric practices to reach a frenzied state which might possibly scare the general public!

Posted Image

[This message has been edited by jijaji (edited 04-16-2002).]

Maybe he could post a photo of himself in one of those trances.

I was not aware of the Buddhist group meditations. I edited my above post accordingly.

I am just having a play with words gentlemen.

But I do like and prefer to meditate alone in solitide.

Group energy can be helpful to beginners and to communities I guess on some level.

But I..

'Go the Place where Noone Goes'

To the Peaks of Inner Solitude away from the group madness called 'dogma'...

away yes away into stillness, quitetude...advaitavadin suchness and orange light what delight ;^)

Yea that's the ticket.

Posted Image

[This message has been edited by jijaji (edited 04-16-2002).]

Dear Sirona ji,

I do not think that it will be possible for you to do meditation properly in that group if you do not like people in the group. So, it is better to do it alone or join another group.

Dear friends,

knowing that the Bhagavad Gita also recommends meditation I have joined a Buddhist group because I absolutely wanted to meditate together with others. My problem is not primarily that they are Buddhists but that they are selfish people I do not like to spend my time with, and that they teach odd things about sexuality, attachment to a certain guru by profession that I have neither trust nor faith in, and a general spirit that runs contrary to my personal sentiment of bhakti. I have no alternative to go if I want to meditate in a group and I am not sure whether it would be better to drop the meditation issue at all. In this situation I have no feeling about what Lord Krishna wants from me or would recommend me to do. So I am asking you what you consider to be the best - staying in or dropping it?

Sirona,

Nothing wrong with meditation.You and the Buddhists though don't share a common object to be meditated upon.

They may want to stare at a blank wall and you may wish to view Krishna's lotus feet.

Water and oil.I suspect you know what must be done already.

Good luck,

theist

Meditation for Vaishnavas is not actually a group practice anyways, so there would be no loss by dropping out and doing your meditation in solitude. The group practice that the followers of Bhagavad Gita engage in is congregational chanting of the holy names or sankirtana. The meditation practiced is either chanting mantras silently while counting on a string of wooden beads or visualization of the Supreme Lord's divine sports or lila. For beginners only the mantra meditation is recommended.

Based on you comments, it does not seem that this particular group of Buddhists has much integrity anyways.

Originally posted by Sirona:

Dear friends,

SironaJi, if you are not able to be having the respect for the group to be discussing with them your questions directly then your question on what to be doing is already being amswered.

One must be first meditating with the Guru before one is meditating with the group. If Guru is not being there or anywhere near then one may first be meditating with the Guru Roop. For this any picture of Guru will do nicely.

Pranams.

Guest guest

Buddhist meditation, is based on trying to attain freedom from suffering.

This process is not recommended by the sages,and yogis, for this day and age.

Suffering is caused by misunderstanding the nature of reality.

The true nature of reality is revealed in the Bhagavad-Gita,Where Krishna(God) say's, "everything is in me and is mine".

This is reality,everything is part of God,and is following God's direction.

To attain freedom or nirvana,one needs to become aware of your identity, as part of the Supreme infinite consciousness.

That oneness,is not total,it is partial.

You are like a drop of water in the ocean,one with the ocean in quality,different in quantity,and ability.

Your consciousness needs to be in a reciprocal relationship with the infinite,which you are a part of,in order to fullfill your true potential,and destiny.

This is known as Yoga,which means to connect,or yoke,yourself with the infinite supreme consciousness.

Trying to alleviate suffering, by meditating on nothingness,or any desire,is useless to you,only through realizing your eternal,reciprocal relationship with your very source and maintainer,is true peace and everlasting happiness achieved.

Dear friends,

Leave.

I don't know if there are devotees in your area. But perhaps you can try starting your own meditation group. Either with devotees. Or maybe put up flyers around town, and see who you attract. Maybe you'll find some kindred spirits out there who want to meditate in a similar mood.

If you are not liking the group even after spending some days in that group, then you should leave immediately. It is not to mean that the members in that group are necessarily bad. May be that they are really bad. Or, may be that their choice is different from yours. But whatever be the reason, the bottomline is that you should like the group. As some have mentioned in this thread, a group is not necessary for meditation. But some people like to do in a group. May be that they get inspiration in a group. If you like a group, then join some other group. But try to get some first hand knowledge of the group before you join. If you do not like that group also, then you may feel demotivated. But it may take some days before you join a group which you like. In the meantime, please do not stop meditation, do it alone. That way, you will not lose interest.

The Vaishnava acaryas (preceptors) teach that the most beneficial association is sadhu-sanga (the company of saintly persons). So, you are going to have to judge any group you encounter by such a standard. If you are genuinely interested in cultivating bhakti, then you will need to seek out the association of those advanced in that process. Given that there are so many different types of meditation, and not all are necessarily of the bhakti variety, the choice of meditation to practice is also crucial. Vaishnava traditions also stress the importance of mantras that come in a spiritual lineage (sampradaya) and being inititated with mantras by a guru that comes in a recognized and authenticatible disciplic succession. If you are interested in getting initiation by a Gaudiya Vaishnava guru, he or she should be able to produce for you a list of the gurus in his/her line that goes back five centuries to one of the direct associates of Sri Caitanya, which will be either Sri Nityananda, Sri Advaita, Sri Gadadhara, Sri Gopala Bhatta Goswami or Sri Narottama Dasa.

Is it that you are all eating too many cucumbres because there is being too much of the repeating here. When I am coming to this topic again I am wanting to be seeing some different pwoints being risen. Otherwise I will be having no more choice but to be reporting your behaviours to the top.

Originally posted by Shashi:

Otherwise I will be having no more choice but to be reporting your behaviours to the top.

Hey,

Why not remain there for sometim?. Mahaprabhu has send you there, for a ptcr purpose, and his purpose is, TO PREACH KC.

Be agile while meditating, there is one soul trapped somewhere out there, and he wants to get this dear devotee back. Meditate with your eyes open and this soul will slowly get attracted to you.

On the other side, keep your association strong by reading and posting here.

Gaura premanande hari hari bol!!

Shashi, i cooked up this idea in my mind just to pls you.