Sign in to follow this  
leyh

Kanti-mala

Rate this topic

Originally posted by Citta Hari:

Yes, that's correct.

[This message has been edited by Citta Hari (edited 02-25-2002).]

Thanks for the confirmation,Citta Hari Prabhu. Posted Image

Two rounds for initiated devotees. It is said that the two rounds represent Radha and Krishna.

In ISKCON three is the standard, but in most Gaudiya Maths and in the other branches of the Caitanya tree, two rounds is the most common.

last year i am with my dying father and he has always kept a picture of me with Prabhupada on his desk and always said hari bol Hare Krishna aftyer each time we say goodbye on the phone. he is laying there dying and i am rtying so hard not to cry when he seriously says to me "so tell mne about the mojo of this Tulasi necklace you have given me to wear". and i tell him" o dad, this is a best insurance policy you can have for where you are going...when the people there see you wearing the Tulasi the will say 'hey, wait a minute, isnt that beemasanes dad, oh bob you come over here to the good line because that Tulasi necklce means you are a good friend of Krishna and Prabhupada.' he went into a gasping of emotion and said "thanks son." and i canyt say more now so all glories to future Vaisnavas too!

Dear Beemasane,

I seem to remember that those wearing Tulasi neck beads go directly to the Kingdom of God when they leave. I'll try to find the quote that gave me that lasting impression later.

gHari<font color="#f7f7f7">

[This message has been edited by gHari (edited 03-17-2002).]

gHari you are very kind and i thank you. 5 days after my father passed away he came in a dream where i was sitting with the assembled devotees waiting for the guru to speak. it was so real when he came in thru a side door looking 40yrs old...i was stunnedand i said "hey dad, what are you doing here?" and he sat down at myleft kneeand justpointed to the gurus doorwhich was slightly ajar. he then leaned forward anxiously and then sat back sad and i said "hey dont worry he'll be out here soon." and he looked relievedand then i woke up real soon. some very, very advanced devotee also did shraddha ceremony in real life. its so very nice of you to take your time for research for me, i am hoping to hear back form you and you never know maybe i can serve you somehow. thank you all glories to the devotees who care too.

A similar statement is in the Skanda Purana, which says, "Persons who are decorated with tilaka or gopi-candana [a kind of clay resembling fuller's earth which is produced in certain quarters of Vrndavana], and who mark their bodies all over with the holy names of the Lord, and on whose necks and breasts there are tulasi beads, are never approached by the Yamadutas." The Yamadutas are the constables of King Yama (the lord of death), who punishes all sinful men. Vaisnavas are never called for by such constables of Yamaraja. In the Srimad-Bhagavatam, in the narration of Ajamila's deliverance, it is said that Yamaraja gave clear instructions to his assistants not to approach the Vaisnavas. Vaisnavas are beyond the jurisdiction of Yamaraja's activities.

(From Nectar of Devotion By His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada,Chapter 9)

Here is another, an excerpt from a SB 6.1.34 lecture Dec '70:

Similarly, the YamadUtas, they also cannot take away to the court of the YamarAja everyone and anyone. No. Only the nondevotees are taken. Those who are devotees, they are not taken. That is... You will find in the BhAgavata, SrImad-BhAgavatam, YamarAja especially instructs that "Those who are VaiSNavas, you should not go there. You should offer your respect to them." Somebody asked me that "SwamijI, why these tulasI beads in your neck or your devotees' neck?" So I replied, "Just like a pet dog has got a collar, similarly we are pet dogs of God. We have got this collar. And YamarAja will understand that ‘He is God's dog. He should not be shot down.' " (laughter)

you are all so swell. i just am jumping on the computer to see if you are there cause i was excioted but i will have to wait to fully ythank youbecause i am going to a sunday feast. thank you so much from the bottom of my heart my old dad e was so non envious of Krishna veven as he was dying he said i guess old God is teaching me a lesson here...kindness is kool..i will respond more properly thank you. bye hari bol etc the beem.

now i can thank leyh and gHari nicely...thank you vey nicely. wowee! you people are fast AND articulate. all Glories to Vrinda devi. i have to say that i am rather fussy when someone at the dr.s office says to take off my neck beads...NAAAAAAAH, i dont THINK so! tanx agin' fer the sentimant and slokes. i remain collared-ly yours, b.d.

I remember a few years back being at a bookstore and reading some books when somebody passed by and saw my neckbeads. He remarked “Tulsi beads. Very cool.” I smiled back and said “Hare Krsna”. I got the impression that in some groups/subcultures wearing Tulasi beads was kind of fashionable. Not sure if this is true (Tulsi becoming a fashion trend), but it was just by this guys reaction. Just a short little neckbeads story Posted Image

Just yesterday I have met a lady that used to be a full-time temple devotee. She approached me in the middle of the street, calling my karmi name. I did not remember her. She was wearing two sets of neck beads, wearing tilaka on her neck too, big kavacha... still I could not recognize her.

Maybe it was because of cigarette in her mouth. But, then she gave me her photo from temple days and then I could remember her.

Just because her guru left spiritual path, and because she wanted time-off (she married and I saw her small daughter with her), for some very short period of time, we fall from spiritual path.

Her faith in institution is stronger then her faith in herself or in the truth.

I realized that all the signes from outside can not help her, all tilak and mala, all kavachas of this world will not help her, if she does not approach a realized sadhu.

I think often when we fall down we revert back to our old habits. Still, it is a good sign that this lady was still wearing tilak and neckbeads. Atma has related some stories in the past of how devotees who have fallen away, somehow manage to once again receive the association of devotees (often when it is very necessary, like at the time of death).

Traditionally only those that have received diksa wear tulasi malas. GM/ISKCON started a new standard by having pre-initiates wear kunti-malas. I personally have no problem with that particular innovation, but others may find it objectionable, since having diksa is according to tradition a requirement for the right to wear such symbols as tilaka, mala, etc.

somebody recently told me that those tulasi necklaces with the holy names on them were not so good. he was a little shoddy with details...can anybody elaborate. also i see some devotees with coral spaced every 5 or 6 beads....? good/not good?

Tulasi beads on our necks should be all same: not too small and not so big that we can not breathe.

There shold not be any other beads but Tulasi: no metal, no rosery, no sandal wood, no neem.

Only persons who follow 4 regulative principles are qualified to wear Tulasi neck mala. Smoking does not work well combined, nor drinking alcohol, nor having illigal sex enjoyment.

It is also offensive to wear tulasi beads as bracelet or around feet.

There is no harm in having Holy name written on the beads. I read in sastras that it is very auspicious to have Holy Name written on the body (which we never do).

Yes, you are perfectly right. In the Bhagavad Gita Krishna tells Arjuna to declare boldly that his devotee never perishes. Even if we fall down in our sadhana in this life, we will continue again from where we had left. So, it's always advantageous when you are with Krishna and his devotees.

when i was living in hawaii in i had the exremely good fortune of being on 31 consecutive morning walks with Srila Prabhupada. on one of these walks, Hayagriva das had come to see Srila prabhupad and i watched Srila Prabhupada crying tears down his face while he embraced Hayagiva saying " you have come back". All Glories to the Most Merciful Srila Prabhpada! with love and affection to all the fallen Vaisnavas, Prabhpada is waiting for you.

[This message has been edited by beemasane (edited 03-22-2002).]

Originally posted by Yashoda_dd:

Tulasi beads on our necks should be all same: not too small and not so big that we can not breathe.

There shold not be any other beads but Tulasi: no metal, no rosery, no sandal wood, no neem.

Only persons who follow 4 regulative principles are qualified to wear Tulasi neck mala. Smoking does not work well combined, nor drinking alcohol, nor having illigal sex enjoyment.

It is also offensive to wear tulasi beads as bracelet or around feet.

There is no harm in having Holy name written on the beads. I read in sastras that it is very auspicious to have Holy Name written on the body (which we never do).

I was told that one who is not following the regulative principles may wear neem kanti-mala and chant japa on neem beads.

I was told that one who is not following the regulative principles may wear neem kanti-mala and chant japa on neem beads.

================================

One who is not following the regulative principles should not wear any mala. This is what I heard from many years back. Of course, I can ask my gurudev and let you know fresh answer. I will do that if you want me to.

One who is not following the regulative principles can and SHOULD chant the Holy name on anything he can, if it helps him to overcome mundane, worldy atmosphere. As long as it is not Vrinda devi.

Lord Caitanya used to make knots on his dhoti instead of beads (or He also chanted on his fingers).

Originally posted by Yashoda_dd:

================================

One who is not following the regulative principles should not wear any mala. This is what I heard from many years back. Of course, I can ask my gurudev and let you know fresh answer. I will do that if you want me to.

One who is not following the regulative principles can and SHOULD chant the Holy name on anything he can, if it helps him to overcome mundane, worldy atmosphere. As long as it is not Vrinda devi.

Lord Caitanya used to make knots on his dhoti instead of beads (or He also chanted on his fingers).

Yashoda Mataji:

Thank you for your instruction.I am having trouble following the regulative principles because of my own weakness and circumstances (my family are not vegetarians).Sometimes I wear a neem kanti-mala (a gift from a devotee)and it looks like I may have to stop wearing that...

May I ask who your gurudev?

[This message has been edited by leyh (edited 03-23-2002).]

hmmmm...seems like i might have a market for neem japa malas right about now...have your people call my people...sincerely, His Holiness Krpacharyaanandamargdevandi guessneckbeadsdidn'tdoanygoodformydeaddadtoo?gosvaminaharaja. ps. for goodness sakes, i almost forgot to honor all Vaisnavas...oops.

[This message has been edited by beemasane (edited 03-23-2002).]