IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Sirona

Peacock feather for Krishna?

Rate this topic

You may consider this to be a dumb question but I'll ask it anyway to obtain your advice.

I have a kind of altar decorated with an image of Krishna and Arjuna and some candles and flowerpots around it. This morning I bought 2 peacock feathers to put into the flower pots. Now I am asking myself whether his is a suitable object to give to Krishna because it comes not from a plant but from an animal presumablely dead.

In the Gita Krishna says: "Whosoever offers Me a leaf, a flower, a fruit, or water with devotion; I accept and eat the offering of devotion by the pure-hearted. (9.26)"

I bought the feathers just for this purpose because otherwise I would consider them to be kitsch. But in this special case I thought about Krishna being often portrayed with peacocks and having a peacock feather in his hair. My motivation was if I do this my Krishna image "would not mind" being situated in a country so far away from India.

I do not know Indian traditions well and therefore I ask your advice. Thank you also for inevitable "funny" remarks.

I did not find the question as dumb.

A real peacock feather has to come from a peacock and not from a plant. So, I do not find anything wrong in decorating Krsna with that.

The Gita verse you have provided talks about making offerings to Krsna and not about decorating Him.

How is the weather there? Is it cold? If yes, how about making a sweater for Krsna? Posted Image

Dear Sirona,

it is very nice to hear that you are worshiping Lord Krishna on the altar, together with Arjuna.

"an animal presumablely dead" does not have to be truth, because those beautiful creatures leave their feathers around all the time, while they are still living.

Lord Krishna is always decorated with peacock feathers on his head, on his crown. Those feathers are always in the directon of Srimati Radharani.

You can find your inspiration in Delhi deities Sri Sri RAdha Partha Sarathi (Sri Krishna, the driver with his beloved Srimati Radhika).