IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
gHari

Indian Culture

Rate this topic

I was just watching some Indian music videos on the tube. I must say I really love the music, and the dancing is also very nice. But the women were so very elegantly beautiful and so nicely dressed, I had to turn my eyes away in fear. (My bad)

I guess it is okay for a good woman to look so attractive, but is it sattvic for women in general to look so incredibly beautiful? By comparison Western women and their attire are so drab.

I mean no offense to those who enjoy Indian Cinema, but it really never "connects with me". I'm sure its just a cultural thing, plus I'm not exposed to it a whole lot. Of course, maybe if I spoke the language it would be more meaningful. Plus, and maybe I'm wrong here, but it always seems to be some form of technomusic (I don't even like European techno).

Just a quick note on beauty. I remember years and years ago reading a bio of Howard Hughes. He was among many other things a big Hollywood producer. He said (paraphrased) that when auditioning women for movies, if you wanted to see a truly beautiful woman, have her wear no makeup. If she was beautiful without makeup, then he'd put her in his movies. With make up and soft lighting, it is possible to make many "beautiful movie stars".

Gauracandra

We have an incredibly beautiful Godsister (inside and out) who Srila Prabhupada named Rukmini devi dasi. As for those Indian movies, I love the stories but could do without all those musical interludes, some woman doging around bushes and singing (I think it's usually Lata Mangaeshkar?) and the music sounds so corny to me I jsut kind of have to laugh inside. But one of my best friends just loves the music and plays tapes of it a lot, at least when she lived up here. I think they must remind her of the pastimes from the movies. Because I can not think why else someone with normally spot-on musical taste (i.e. aligning with my own) Posted Image would choose to listen to that. All I can do is respect from a distance ( Posted Image again) those who like it, and continue to wonder why.

I don't feel qualified to say much on the beautiful woman issue, as I don't remember what it is like to be a man. Men seem way way more superficial, in general, about taking a person for their looks. Men seem to let themselves go, with beer bellies and things, and still expect to have a woman who is impeccably gorgeous.

I remember once a Godsister once said to me that the men who are so attracted to the women on Sankirtan would be so surprised if they saw US in makeup. And it's true. People talk about natural beauty, but a lot of people are media-conditioned to go for stiff pulled up faces with lots of makeup on them. Posted Image

It's just kind of amusing to me that men, a truly foreign species, put so much importance on this. I even checked out a devotee personals site and the women would be seeking quality type relationships centered around Krishna, and if the men weren't advetising for slaves, they were looking for slimness, prettiness, etc. No matter how beautiful or ugly I was, I wouldn't go within 64 megabytes of such people, if seeking a mate. I would want someone as a companion who was deeper than that, and didn't see women as objects but as devotees to share Krsna consciousness with in a reciprocally encouraging way. Who, knowing better, would want to prolong their stay by having the intentions of becoming attracted like this?

I enjoy looking at cute faces, myself. But Krsna is the very cutest!

JR

Here is an anecdote related to beauty.

Once, I was given the resumes of some candidates who wanted to apply for job in the firm where I am working. Our CEO asked me to decide whom to call for interview and to interview them. Some of the candidates were females. None of the resumes contained the photograph of the candidate. I said to my CEO, "We should make a rule. Next time, when a girl sends her resume, then she must attach her colored photo in it. Then, it will be easier for me to make decisions." Posted Image

Well, he just laughed, but did not implement my suggestion. Posted Image