IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Pujar

Pindadanam

Rate this topic

What is the significance of Pindadanam vis-a-vis the departed soul? Why is it done on certain specific days after the demise of the person? Why crows only need touch Pindadanam in order to let us understand the last wish of the departed soul is fulfilled or not and not other birds?

Pinddaan is the offering of food to a departed person. We know that food is a must so long a person is alive. It is believed that even after death, he has desire for food (at least for some time). Pinddaan is performed to satisfy this desire.

Though pind daan can be performed anywhere, Gaya is considered to be the most important place for it. (Padma Purana mentions Gaya). This town is situated on the banks of river Phalgu. Every September, Pitrupaksh Mela (a month-long event in which special prayers and rituals are made to honour the departed) is held. Many Hindus come there to do pind daan for their dear ones who have departed.

Note: Even though Phalgu is a river, it is almost dried up. I have gone to Gaya many many times. I have personally seen some people playing football inside the river.

Ok, I understand now. There was a discussion a short time back about just such an activity. How long is this practice supposed to last? You mention once per year some people do this observance. Is it every year, only particular times?