IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
bhaktashab

Why are Demigods allowed to engage in fornication

Rate this topic

Or,what if animals were required to follow the morality of humans? Very strange world indeed. Posted Image

Demigods are required to follow many things that humans are not required to follow and vice-versa. So, there is no biasedness.

Originally posted by jndas:

Every species has different codes of morality they must follow. Why should they be required to follow the rules of some other species? What if humans were required to follow the morality of animals? To the demigods, we are more or less animals.

Fair enough.

It just seems strange that we have a moral conscience in these human bodies which forbids us from engaging in such activities as fornication, but yet the result from living piously is that we attain devata bodies within which we are allowed to.

Thanks for the answer.

------------------

shab.

To me it is partly a question of degree of choices. For instance, I can be a complete renunciate and say "Supermodels, fancy cars, nice houses, fine food, expensive clothes... I don't need them. They hold no attraction for me." The reason I can say this is because it is easy to "be" renounced when I don't have a snowball's chance in hell of ever getting any of these things. Now, imagine you are a demigod, your level of wealth, beauty, longevity, is thousands of times greater than we can possibly imagine. They too have free will, and since it is available to them, they might succumb to the temptations.

Just to keep things clear, there are different categories of demigods. The one's who are being hinted at in the original question are not controlling devas. They are only "residents" of particular realms, such as Indra-loka.

The higher controlling devas have shaktis, or consorts. Of course it is not so important, since they are not obliged to follow our laws or morality anyway, but just for the sake of stating it, they don't engage in anything we would consider immoral.

And these "resident" demigods are not very high positions within the material hierarchy. Their life spans are quite short in relation to higher beings, some living just 10,000 years, and again falling to the earthly planet to be reborn.

In actuality, they really aren't "the demigods" as far as common usage goes. For example they are not part of the 330 million devas mentioned in the scriptures.

Just as some go to hellish realms to suffer the results of their karma, some others go to heavenly realms to enjoy the results of their karma. Both are quite unfortunate, for neither has a chance to progress spiritually.