IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
leyh

The Future

Rate this topic

Amazing. Mama and mommy (maamee) both mean mother in Canada. Uncle is mama and aunt is mami here.<font color="#f7f7f7">

[This message has been edited by gHari (edited 02-25-2002).]

I think, you are confusing between Mamaa and Maamaa. When you pronounce Mamaa, then it is mother. When you pronounce Maamaa, then it is mother's brother.

Similarly, when you pronounce Maamee, it is Maamaa's wife. When you pronounce Mammi or Mommi, it is mother. Posted Image

Perhaps, you are trying to say that God knows all possibilities about future. I agree that this is not contradictory to free will. But, if God knows exactly what is going to happen at a given place and at a given time in a given universe, then again, we have no free will.

You're approaching the answer. Don't stay any longer in Newton's age. A solid matter in macroscale consists of particles in irregular movement in microscale. If future is thoroughly fixed, all prophercies are insignificant; if it is thoroughly unknown, all prophets are cheats. These are the explanations of "God is/isn't omniscient."

Don't stay any longer in Newton's age.

Which post of mine shows that I am staying in Newton's age?

A solid matter in macroscale consists of particles in irregular movement in microscale.

I know.

If future is thoroughly fixed, all prophercies are insignificant

If future is thorougly fixed, then may be it is fixed that there would be prophecies.

if it is thoroughly unknown, all prophets are cheats.

Agreed.

These are the explanations of "God is/isn't omniscient."

Are you trying to say that God is knowledgeable about those things in future that are fixed but not about those that are not fixed?

It is thought that whenever we ask "Does God know ... ?", the answer should always be in affirmative. After all He is God. So, He has to know everything? But, what if we are asking if God knows something that does not exist?

How can we answer in affirmative if we ask:

Does God know the color of donkey's horns?

A donkey does not have horns. So there is no meaning of the 'color of a donkey's horns'.

Some may say, "A donkey has horns but we ordinary mortals do not see those. God can see those."

May be it is true. But it is possible that there is something that we do not observe and which really does not exist. What if ask if God knows its properties?

Not having the knowledge of something that does not exist is not contradictory to One's omniscience.

The Katha Upanishad says the Lord is the witness in the heart. As far as my understanding goes, the Lord comes to know of what I am going to do as soon as I think that I am going to do a ptclr activity. The paramatma sanctions my option. I can take or reject it. And as soon as I make up my mind, the paramatma immediately gets to know of it. So, the Lord is a knower of the past present and future.

Abhi

And as soon as I make up my mind, the paramatma immediately gets to know of it. So, the Lord is a knower of the past present and future.

According to what you say, God knows what you are going to do after you have made up your mind and not before. So, God does not know EVERYTHING that is going to happen in future.

Clarification:

I wrote above: "So, God does not know EVERYTHING that is going to happen in future."

I meant this according to the example that abhi gave. It is quite possible that God knows EVERYTHING that is going to happen in future and therefore future is completely pre-determined.

Originally posted by Avinash:

Clarification:

I wrote above: "So, God does not know EVERYTHING that is going to happen in future."

I meant this according to the example that abhi gave. It is quite possible that God knows EVERYTHING that is going to happen in future and therefore future is completely pre-determined.

Avinash, I had this question in my mind too, when I wrote the post. But, I feel there are 2 ways of looking at this.

1. God does not know everything that is going to happen

2. God does not need to know every small incident that is going to happen, anyway he is the santioner of everything.

The 2nd point is similar to the example of a big company, he might not know what his workers are exactly doing, but if they have to do something more than their granted freedom, they might have to take the specific permission of the MD or even his juniors.

If Krishna wants to fix everything he can fix. But, he has given a little freewill which we can use and misuse. He knows the extend to which we can use it and misuse it. So, in that way he has used a variable within a limit. We can say that the future is partly fixed by our previous activities and partly a variable due to our present activities and desires.

Krishna directly interferes only in a devotees life. "karmany nirdahati kinthucha bhakti bajam". The process of devotion can burn to ashes all the previous karmas. This is Krishna's mercy.

My conclusion will be, Krishna cares for his devotees and plans the way for them to come back for him. For the mediocre demons, Krishna cannot care less, he just remains a sanctioner. For the big time demons like those in the Mahabharatha, Krishna had already decided to kill them. So, in a sense Krishna has also directly planned their future.

Its confusing, just that I am sharing my thoughts here.

Abhi

I ought to tell you why I'm so active at this topic -- It's a deep question. You won't solve it as long as you keep attaching to the senses & notions from the outer world, Avinash. Delicate logic is of no use.

[This message has been edited by xvi000 (edited 02-27-2002).]