IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
bhaktajoy

Vrindhavan site

Rate this topic

I believe Friends of Vrindavan is run by a devotee named Ranchor Prabhu in England. I'd be curious of any first hand knowledge of their progress to reforest Vrindavan.

Also, didn't that devotee lady who inherited the Duke money, wasn't she going to set up a trust fund to protect the animals of Vrindavan? I seem to recall hearing this, but don't know the details.

Thanks for the wonderful link, bhaktajoy! I just did a browse but will definitely return. I lived in the town of Leicester, which is the sister town to the FOV in Vrindaban, for seven years, and it has a large Asian population, and many temples. The section of town we lived in was like little India. I was so pleased to see that Sanatan Mandir, which was a few blocks away from us, contributed to the Vrindaban fund, and am extremely curious to hear more about the Vrindaban gardens which they put in the city park, which has a beautiful lake with boats, water lilies, swans, ducks, and aggressive geese. Now I hear they have this Vrindaban Gardens. Amazing.

The town government is pretty amazing too, as far as freeing parks around town for big Hindu celebrations, including the shooting of Ravana, who is built an evil fifty or so feet high. And one year every single school in this large town, of all nationalities, mostly English though, took part in a citywide project of creating giant fifteen-foot puppets that you get inside, for the Ramayana play. So for weeks everyone was meditating on the pastimes of Rama. They involved the devotees too, so I built two five foot high heads for Sita and Rama. A bit off the subject here maybe, but I thought it would add color to the subject by knowing a bit of background to one of the towns involved in the Friends of Vrindaban project.

It's a pretty progressive and very melting pot type of town, especially for England, and it became the first environmental city, as a pilot for the rest of the country, when the town hired an English devotee to head it up. Amazing, really.