IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
shvu

Namadeva

Rate this topic

Namadeva is one of the many Indian saints who lived in Pandarpur, Maharashtra [Western India] sometime during the 13h century. He was a contemporary of the famous Jnaneshwara, the author of Jnaneshwari [a commentary on the Gita]. As in the case of others, his story is hagiographic too. He was a great devotee of Lord Panduranga [Vishnu] and according to legends when Namadeva offered food to the Lord, the Lord appeared in the form of a boy and actually accepted his offering.

Consequently, Namadeva grew headstrong and one day Panduranga did not appear to accept his devotee's offering. Namadeva was distressed at this, after which he was told to go to a village Amvadya and meet a great saint named Vishobakesha. When he reached the village he was directed to a Shiva temple and when he walked into the temple, he found a old man lying asleep with his feet on the Shiva-linga.

Namadeva became angry at this sight and woke up the old man rudely, shouting at him to remove his feet from the Linga. The old man asked, "I am old and weak. Can you do me a favor by moving my legs someplace where there is no Shiva?" Namadeva consented and lifted the old man's legs to place them elsewhere, when a Linga appeared just where he was about to place the legs. He tried to place the legs in different places and everytime a Linga popped up in that spot, making it impossible for him put the legs down.

Suddenly Namadeva realized what was going on. He told the old man, "How ignorant am I! Where is the place where there is no Shiva! My head full of ego and ignorance is the only place where there is no Shiva." Saying thus, he place the old man's feet on his own head. The old man said, "Although a great devotee of the Lord, there was some ego in you until now. But now that is gone too."

After returning to Pandarpur, Namadeva did not visit the temple, but stayed home. Some days went by and not seeing Namadeva at the temple, Lord Panduranga Himself came to his devotee's house and knocked at the door. "Namadeva," he called, "Please open the door. Where have you been so long, I'm missing you!" From inside, Namadeva called back to Panduranga: "My dear Lord, I have seen through your game. You won't fool me again. You made me believe the temple was the only place to see you. But now I know that all is You and there is nothing but Yourself!" Panduranga laughed and blessed Namadeva.

[This message has been edited by shvu (edited 01-28-2002).]

Namadeva consented and lifted the old man's legs to place them elsewhere, when a Linga appeared just where he was about to place the legs. He tried to place the legs in different places and everytime a Linga popped up in that spot, making it impossible for him put the legs down.

It is very difficult to know how many of these incidents are really true. I have heard more than one such incidents. Only the saints differ. As an example, I have heard about such an incident regarding Guru Nanak.

Visoba Khechar

The name of the saint in question is not Visobakesha but Visoba Khechar. Formerly Visoba Chati was a learned man and a neighbour of Gnaneshwar but due to his ignorance he got into the ritualistic aspect of the religion leaving aside the devotional aspect. Once when Gnaneshwar wanted to eat Mande (special chapathis made from maida with sweet stuffing) and asked Mukta (his sister) to prepare. Mukta needed an earthen pot to roast Mande. The whole Alakapur (present Alandi near Pune) was against the family as their father had become Grihastha after accepting the vows of Sanyasa, including Visoba Chati. Visoba warned the potters not to give any pots to Mukta. Disappointed Mukta returned empty handed and told Gnaneshwara everything. Thereupon Gnaneshwar, a great yogi, asked Mukta to roast Mande on his back, which was red hot due to Panchagni from within. At last, when the family sat eating Mande, Visoba watched them with envy. Finally, he pounced upon the few pieces in Gnaneshwara's plate, when Gnaneshwar exclaimed, "Oh! you get out! you Khechar (mule)". The words were meanigful. Gnaneshwara had asked Visoba to get out of the mere rituals and see the underlying principle. Thus the name stuck. Visoba Khechar became his disciple.