IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
leyh

"The spirit indeed is willing,but the flesh is weak."

Rate this topic

"The spirit indeed is willing,but the flesh is weak."(Matthew 26:41)

Sometimes we knowingly take the posion of sense gratification even when we know it is poison.That helpless feeling of having succumbed to material desire yet again is so sickening.

Is it by our own efforts or do we have to stop trying and totally rely on Krsna's mercy to transcend maya? I still like to think that its a two way thing.You get as much grace as the effort you put into spiritual practice.But what if you want to put in effort,but you just can't seem to summon the energy to even try? For example I have been trying to chant a few rounds of the maha-mantra every morning when I wake up,I'm so saturated with sleep and lust,that it is virtually impossible to go get my beads...

[This message has been edited by leyh (edited 01-26-2002).]

Keep your beads with you always, except in the washroom of course. If you are unable to chant, just hold onto those 108+ gopis and cry pitifully...most of us are yet suckling babes in need of close nurturing. The more we admit our absolute helplessness and complete dependency on unconditional mercy and His Unlimited Divine Grace, the more that precious milk will flow. Only our foolish pride stands in the way!

A baby cannot be placated with mere words or some cheap plastic pacifier. Nothing but Mother's breast will do and he is not at all shy about demanding it! That tangible experience is what we're all so hungry for. She's freely available to each of us, so why fool ourselves into thinking we can be satisfied with anything/anyone else?

First we must learn to take full shelter of Radhika, then we may be ready to take on Krsna. In case you haven't noticed, He can play a little rough at times, to put it mildly...

------------------

Radhe Radhe always Radhe!

amanpeter@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by valaya (edited 01-26-2002).]

Haribol Leyh,

A couple of things came to mind when I heard your candid appeal. I wouldn't doubt that Sri Krsna also appreciates your sincerity.

The first was the JAPA SANDWICH, namely ending the day with a few rounds and awaking and continuing where you left off, with a few more rounds.

The other was that when you have this thought that I am going to chant a few rounds every morning, right then, drop everything, take bath, brush your teeth, and begin chanting. There's nothing to make us want to chant, more than chanting itself. And what is so important that it can't wait a little while, while we put the whole game back into perspective? Nothing.

It seems you've already realized that there is no other way, there is no other way, there is no other way. A few rounds would drive that home again.

Out in the world with the users and abusers pulling us this and that way, it is much more difficult than being surrounded by divine gentle vaishnavas. That one chanting is who we really are, the one we really want to be, the only one we really enjoy being. Just sometimes we forget that, having to hide our true selves from the wicked world for just too too long.

Of course, there is always reading some good inspiration from Prabhupada, chanting Panca Tattva right after brushing (my favorite), playing tapes or MP3 files, remembering Krsna even when the nonsense is happening (or at least the Panca Tattva), and I'm sure we could all come up with hundreds of little tactics to beat the big bad modes.

But as you mention, begging the Mahamantra from Lord Caitanya may be the most powerful approach. Then it will pour out of your mouth with no effort; just sit back and listen. This is my desire for you ... and for anyone else who wants to chant as much as you do.

gHari<font color="#dedfdf">

[This message has been edited by gHari (edited 01-27-2002).]

valaya and gHari prabhus:

Please accept my humble obeisances and thanks for your advice. All Glories to Srila Prabhupada!Valaya,I particularly like your reference to the japa-mala as the 108 gopis.I did know that the 108 beads represents the gopis but your imagery of holding onto those gopis and crying pitifully" will stay in my mind hopefuly forever.Even if I cannot summon the strength to complete even one round,I'll think of the gopis' devotion for the Lord and try to draw inspiration from their love.

gHari,you wrote:"Out in the world with the users and abusers pulling us this and that way, it is much more difficult than being surrounded by divine gentle vaishnavas. That one chanting is who we really are, the one we really want to be, the only one we really enjoy being. Just sometimes we forget that, having to hide our true selves from the wicked world for just too too long."That is so true!So many times,in the midst of my non-devotee friends,I have found myself softly murmuring the maha-mantra or some bhajan like Jaya Radha-Madhva while we are engaged in some boring,mundane discussion.But at the same time,I have this fear that this constant chanting might cause me to be labelled as a fanatic/freak.This fear probably goes to show that I have no love for Krsna.

If only we lived in a world where chanting anywhere and everwhere is socially acceptable...

Despite the fact that I am a contaminated offender,I can still get a little (but only a little) thrill from thinking about the magnanimous nature of Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu and His devotees...May I be blessed with the desire and humility to beg the gift of the holy names from all of them.May the holy names of God be lovingly vibrated in my life and in the lives of people all over the world!

krsnotkirtana-gana-nartana-kala-pathojani-bhrajita sad-bhaktavali-hamsa-cakra-madhupa-sreni-viharaspadam karnanandi-kala-dhvanir vahatu me jihva-maru-prangane sri-caitanya daya-nidhe tava lasal-lila-sudha-svardhuni

"O my merciful Lord Caitanya, may the nectarean Ganges waters of Your transcendental activities flow on the surface of my desertlike tongue. Beautifying these waters are the lotus flowers of singing, dancing and loud chanting of Krsna's holy name, which are the pleasure abodes of unalloyed devotees. These devotees are compared to swans, ducks and bees. The river's flowing produces a melodious sound that gladdens their ears." [sri Caitanya-caritamrta, Adi-lila 2.2]

I love the pastoral imagery of the above verse. Posted Image

Lehy,

I agree it is very difficult at times to get motivated. For one there are many pressures in the world that act upon us (whether it be work, family, health etc...). I think part of trying to live a regulated life is that if we order our life in such a manner, then the very ordering of it helps to keep us going. If on the other hand we life a disorganized life, then the strains of work, family, health are even greater and cause even more problems to get motivated spiritually. So one solution might be better time management.

Gauracandra

From my current favorite book "The Imitation of Christ", I thought this quote applied:

And truly, to live in this world is but misery, and the more spiritual a man would be the more painful it is to him to live, and the more plainly he feels the defects of man's corruption. To eat, to drink, to sleep, to wake, to rest, to labor, and to serve all other needs of the body is great misery and great affliction to a devout soul, who would gladly be free from the bondage of sin, so that he might without hindrance serve our Lord in purity of conscience and in cleanness of heart. The recollected man is greatly grieved because of the necessities of his body in this world, and so the prophet David desired to be delivered from such necessities; but woe to those who love this wretched and corruptible life. Some love it so much that, if they might live here forever, though they would earn their living but poorly with labor and begging, they would never care for the kingdom of heaven. Oh, insane and unfaithful creatures are those who so deeply fix their love in earthly things that they have no feeling or taste except in fleshly pleasures.

Originally posted by Gauracandra:

From my current favorite book "The Imitation of Christ", I thought this quote applied:

Beautiful! Whatever we do, depends on Divine Grace. Whatever we long to do, depends on Divine Grace. Wherever, whenever we always depend on Divine Grace regardless. Ultimately we are not the doers, yet all things are possible through Divine Grace. Not knowing Divine Grace personally, my life is bereft. Not seeing Divine Grace everywhere, my whole world is empty. My only prayer is for complete oneness in Divine Grace, that I may see and be nothing but...

valaya

------------------

Radhe Radhe always Radhe!

amanpeter@hotmail.com

Originally posted by Tarun:

"The Spirit is willing, so have flesh once a week?"

Hmm. Sounds like RAma-KRSNa Mission's weekday sannyAsis.

Still better than pre-Pope Paul Catholics meatless Fridays.

What prompted this nonsense? Really, Tarun...!

I find all the posts above at least 80% sedated. And dated.

"Oh the miseries of this world!"

"Oh, if only HarinAm was accepted by general public!"

If there were no miseries + HarinAm aceptance or embrace?

Our mission would be pretty much asccomplished on this plane, no?

HarinAm's greatness is it cannot even be understood by strict sannyAsis.

Not even gurus can understand HarinAm unless...

They do it.

If they make excuses:

"My back hurts, the people might complain, our public image..."

Diarrhea pravachan: kick it in the mouth, but quick!

HarinAm sankItrtan kahe Narottama dAs...

What does Narottam mean?

What is the goal of life?

How high can you fly? Only flesh high? Your spirit too weak?

Regain your spiritual strength by ...?

Most important words in whole Bible?

"When 2 or 3 are gathered in My Name, I'm there among them."

True or False?

All the rest, Old & New, is meant to convince us of this.

I rest my choir case.