IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
leyh

HE LIVES FOREVER BY HIS DIVINE INSTRUCTIONS

Rate this topic

The following is a chapter from The Art of Spiritual Life by Jadurani dasi,one of the first American female disciples of His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada (1896-1977),the Founder-acarya of the International Society for Krishna Conciousness.The book can be found online at www.gaudiya.net/art/

Cryptic Sign

On May 5th I was assigned the duty of bringing the mrdanga, karatalas and sankirtana painting to Prabhupada's important engagement at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology that evening. Unfortunately, I became so engrossed in the painting of Mohana Madhuri that I lost track of the time. When I eventually looked at my watch, it was so late that I only had half an hour to get to MIT. I ran the two blocks to catch the trolley to Cambridge, but as soon as I was aboard, I realized I had forgotten the instruments and painting. When I arrived at the college, I was out of breath and empty-handed.

Prabhupada was sitting on a raised platform. He looked at me and I could see the disappointment in his face when he realized I had not brought the instruments. He made do, however, and performed the kirtana without karatalas by having several devotees accompany him with clapping hands, and by playing his Hare Krsna album in the background. I was painfully aware of the large U-shaped metal stand that stood empty on the stage throughout the program, as it was supposed to have supported the painting.

I had, however, remembered to bring my tape recorder. When the kirtana ended, I turned it on and taped Prabhupada's lecture as he began, "Today I am very glad to meet you. You are all students of technology."

MIT was the world's foremost technological and engineering school. Its contribution to Boston's economy was enormous, because its classrooms and laboratories issued a stream of highly trained scientists and engineers who staffed the numerous technological firms in the city. The facilities and brainpower of MIT had attracted large federal and private research contracts, and the school's presence in Cambridge was a major contributing factor to Boston being chosen as the site for the NASA center for electronics research. But Prabhupada also knew something the school, the city, and NASA did not know-how useless their successes were, and how much they needed Krsna consciousness.

He told them, "This Krsna consciousness movement is also another technology. In the modern state of civilization there are different departments of knowledge. There is a department of teaching medical science, and a department for teaching engineering. There is department of education in many things. Unfortunately there is no department for distributing knowledge in the science of the soul. But that is the most important, because the soul is the mainstay, the background of all our movements.

"The idea is that in the present consciousness I am thinking that I am this body. Actually, I am not this body. This is ignorance. Body means senses; bodily activities mean sensual activities. But if you go deep into the matter, the senses can only act when the mind is sound. If the mind is not sound, a crazy man cannot use his senses properly. So, first of all there is technology of the senses, and then the higher technology is of the mind, which is known as psychology-thinking, feeling, and willing. And, above this mind, above the mental science, there is the science of the intelligence. Above the science of the intelligence, the background is the soul. Unfortunately, we have got technology for the bodily senses and for psychology, but we have neither any technology for intelligence nor for the science of the soul. This technology is wanting in the modern civilization."

Although Prabhupada clearly analyzed the urgent need for the students to adopt Krsna consciousness, during the question period, instead of asking a philosophical question, a student merely pointed at the large metal U-shaped stand and asked, "What is the meaning of the sign at your back?"

I cringed.

Prabhupada looked at the stand, and then back at the student. With mild annoyance he said, "Oh, this? I do not know. That is not my sign. That is a technological symbol. It is your sign." Everybody laughed.

At the end of the program, while we were all putting on our coats in preparation to leave, I heard several people shouting. Worried that there might be some difficulty for Prabhupada, I turned to find him. Prabhupada was fine, but he was being heavily challenged by a small group of students and teachers. He looked delicate, but after all he had God on his side. One student was insistently shouting, "All is one!" Others supported this assertion with a variety of angry expressions.

Prabhupada attempted to convince the student logically that although everything is one, within that one there is variety, but the student obstinately continued arguing. So Prabhupada angrily grabbed his shirt collar and loudly said, "You say everything is one. But is this cotton shirt the same as a cotton ball? Why don't you wear a cotton ball instead of this shirt?"

Prabhupada appeared to be angry, the students were angry, and we were angry because we felt that the students were insulting our spiritual master. A few of us sought a taxi so we could extricate Prabhupada from the insulting confrontation, and while someone paged a cab, the others separated Prabhupada from the students.

Satsvarupa rode back in the taxi with Prabhupada, who thought the evening a success. Of course it was, for his anger had been displayed simply for the purification of us all.

"Without Krsna, matter cannot develop. Atheistic scientists say that life comes from matter, but that is nonsense. Matter is one energy of Krsna, and spirit is another. The spirit is superior energy, and matter is inferior energy. The matter develops when the superior energy is present. For example, two or three hundred years ago the land of America was not developed, but because some superior living entities from Europe came here, America is now very much developed. Therefore the cause of development is the superior energy. In Africa, Australia, and many other places there is still vacant land that is undeveloped. Why is it undeveloped? Because the superior energy of advanced living entities has not touched it. As soon as the superior energy touches it, the same land will develop so many factories, houses, cities, roads, cars, and so on.

The point of this example is that matter cannot develop by itself. That is not possible. Superior energy must touch it, and then it will be active. To give another example, a machine is matter--it is inferior energy--and therefore unless an operator comes to touch the machine, it will not act. One may have a very costly car, but unless a driver comes, in millions of years it will never go anywhere.

Thus it is common sense to understand that matter cannot work independently; it cannot work unless the superior energy, the living entity, touches it. So how can we conclude that life develops from matter? Rascal scientists may say this, but they do not have sufficient knowledge."(Teachings of Queen Kunti By His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta SwamiPrabhupada,Chapter Eleven:The Touch of Superior Energy)

"Mahajano yena gatah sa panthah. Mahajanas, great personalities, what they have done, you cannot imitate them. You have to follow them. You have to follow the instruction of Krishna or His representative, but you cannot imitate them. Then you'll fall down." (His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada,Lecture, 1 May 1969, Boston)

Rukmini: I feel so far away from you, you know, when you're not here, Srila Prabhupada.

Srila Prabhupada: Oh, that you should not think. If...the words...there are two conceptions: the physical conception and the vibrational conception. So physical conception is temporary. The vibration conception is eternal. Just as we are enjoying or relishing the vibration of Krishna's teachings. So by vibration He is present.(After a lecture in Montreal on 18th of August 1968)

Originally posted by leyh:

The following is a chapter from The Art of Spiritual Life by Jadurani dasi,one of the first American female disciples of His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada (1896-1977),the Founder-acarya of the International Society for Krishna Conciousness.The book can be found online at www.gaudiya.net/art/

There already is a thread dedicated to discussions of this book:

http://www.indiadivine.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001012.html

------------------

Radhe Radhe always Radhe!

HARIBOL! HARIBOL! HARIBOL!

"Knowledge in Krsna consciousness is so perfect that if one performs work in Krsna consciousness and yet does not attain perfection, in his next life he takes up from wherever he left off. In other words, actions performed in Krsna consciousness are durable. On the other hand, material achievements, because they pertain to the body, are vanquished at death. Knowledge that pertains to designations does not endure. I am thinking that I am a man or a woman, an American or Indian, a Christian or Hindu--these are all designations pertaining to the body, and when the body is finished, they will also be finished. We are actually spirit, and therefore our spiritual activities will go with us wherever we go." (Raja Vidya: King of Knowledge By His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada,Chapter One)

"Don't follow blindly. Following blindly something, that is not good. That will not stay. But one should take everything with logic. But the servants of God, they put everything in logic. Caitanyera dayara katha karaha vicara. If you study the Caitanya's philosophy with logic and argument... Don't go by sentiment." (Prabhupada's Lectures Srimad-Bhagavatam 1971 710106SB.CAL)

Karandhara: ...Vaisnava earlier.

Prabhupada: Oh. What is the price of this?

Gargamuni: No charge.

Prabhupada: No. What do they sell?

Gargamuni: Oh. This drum was broken, but he gave it to us free. I do not know what the...

Prabhupada: It was, it is broken?

Gargamuni: It was broken, but we fixed it.

Prabhupada: Oh. All right. When they give in charity, they give something broken. (laughter) (Bengali) Khana goruke brahmanake dana (?). In India there is a..., charity is given to the brahmanas. So a man saw that his cow is blind. "All right, give it in charity." So charity means... Charity should be the first-class thing if it is really charity. But nowadays people give in charity just for name. "Oh, I am giving something." This charity... You have read Bhagavad-gita. There are three kinds of charity: sattvic, rajasic, tamasic. Sattvic, charity in goodness, is with due consideration that "Here should be given the charity." Just like the Vedic injunction is to give charity to the brahmanas. Why? That is the worthy place, to give charity in the hands of brahmanas and Vaisnava. Real brahmanas. I don't say caste brahmana. Because they will employ whatever you give them in the service of the Lord. Therefore charity, that is sattvic charity. There is no question of profit or name. But, "Charity should be given here. Here is something, God's service." That is sattvic. And rajasic means for the sake of name. "Oh, people will say I am so charitable." That is rajasic. And tamasic, one who does not know where the money is going... Just like in the Bowery Street some, that drunkard comes and polishes the motorcar, and somebody gives five dollars, and he immediately goes to drink. That means this charity means give him impetus for drinking. So if charity creates such drunkard, oh, that is very dangerous. He has to suffer, the man who is giving in charity. Therefore in charity also there must be consideration. It must be sattvic. So anyway, it has come here. So it is sattvic. Whatever his mind may be, anyway, he has given to this temple; so it is sattvic. Chant. (Lecture given by His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada,February 2, 1968, Los Angeles, California)

"Liberated souls have no interest in materialistic activities. The impersonalist theory that after liberation one becomes inactive and needs hear nothing does not prove that a liberated person is actually inactive. A living soul cannot be inactive. He is either active in the conditioned state or in the liberated state. A diseased person, for example, is also active, but his activities are all painful. The same person, when freed from the diseased condition, is still active, but in the healthy condition the activities are full of pleasure. Similarly, the impersonalists manage to get freed from the diseased conditional activities, but they have no information of activities in the healthy condition. Those who are actually liberated and in full knowledge take to hearing the activities of Krsna; such engagement is pure spiritual activity." (From Introduction to Krsna, The Supreme Personality of Godhead By His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada)

"So if you can create that central attachment for Krsna, then it is Vrndavana. Then you can create Vrndavana anywhere--any family, any society, any country. Just make the point of attachment Krsna, and it is Vrndavana. That is required. That is Krsna consciousness movement." (His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada,From 75-128-A Vrndavana 12/10/1975 Srimad-Bhagavatam Class)

"Devotional service to the Supreme personality of Godhead is explained in the Bhagavad-gita,where the Lord says that a self-realized person is always in the transcendental state known as brahma-bhuta,which is characterized by joyfulness.When one is self-realized he becomes joyful.In other words,he is free from the material contamination of lamentation and hankering.As long as we are in material existence, we lament for the losses in our life and hanker for that which we do not have. A self-realized person is joyful because he is free from material lamentation and hankering." (From Purport to Narada Bhakti Sutras, Sutra 1 By His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada)

"One does not become spiritual master by his own whims. That is not spiritual master. He must be ordered by superior authority. Then he's spiritual master. Amara ajnaya. Just like in our case. Our superior authority, our spiritual master, he ordered me that "You just try to preach this gospel, whatever you have learned from me, in English." So we have tried it. That's all. It is not that I am very much qualified. The only qualification is that I have tried to execute the order of superior authority. That's all. This is the secret of success." (His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada,Lecture, Bhagavad-gita 2.2, London, Aug 3, 1973)

"Now, if I am not this body, then why should I act for this body? I should act for myself. Then, how can I work for myself? What is my position? I am consciousness. But what kind of consciousness? Subordinate consciousness--I am part of the supreme consciousness. Then, what will my activities be? My activities will be under the guidance of the supreme consciousness, just as in the office, the managing director is the supreme consciousness. For example, in the office everyone is working under the direction of the manager; therefore they have no responsibility. They have only to discharge their duties. Either pious or impious duties--never mind. In the military line, too, the order of the captain or the commander is there. The soldier has to execute it. He does not consider whether it is pious or impious. That does not matter. He simply has to act, then he is a real soldier. He acts in that way and he gets his reward. He gets title and honor. He doesn't care. The commander says, Just go and kill the enemy, and he is rewarded. Do you think that by killing one gets reward? No--it is for the duty discharged." (Krsna,the Reservoir of Pleasure By His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada)

The following is an extract from the ongoing series Diary of a Traveling Preacher By His Holiness Indradyumna Swami which can be found at www.chakra.org

Once Srila Prabhupada was walking on the beach in Mumbai with some of his disciples. At one point, a little girl walked by and with folded hands said to Srila Prabhupada, "Hare Krsna!" Srila Prabhupada smiled and turned to his disciples saying, "You see how successful our movement is?"

Confused, one devotee said, "Successful? Srila Prabhupada, only one little girl has said Hare Krsna."

Srila Prabhupada replied, "Yes, if you take just one drop of the ocean and taste it, you can understand what the whole ocean tastes like. Similarly, by this one girl greeting us with Hare Krsna, we can appreciate how far the chanting of the Lord's name has spread." (Diary of a Travelling Preacher,Volume 4, Chapter 9)

Of course, second guessing or criticizing or even giving advice to a pure devotee is offensive to Krsna. If Prabhupada exhibited anger, then we can understand that Krsna was directly or subtly being slighted. The typical scientific material mind is offensive to the Lord; denying His personal existence or supreme dominion.

"Offering all one's activities to the Lord,one should feel desire,anger and pride only with regard to Him." (Narada Bhakti Sutras,Sutra 65)

Srila Prabhupada's anger,according to his personal servant Srutakirti Prabhu,was capable of generating spiritual potency".The following is an excerpt taken from Srutakirti Prabhu's Srila Prabhupada Uvaca.

Today Devananda Maharaja came to visit Srila Prabhupada. He was given initiation by Srila Prabhupada and he was also a sannyasi. He had been his personal servant for a period of time around 1970. He was not presently a member of ISKCON. He asked to see Srila Prabhupada and was allowed darsana. When he arrived Srila Prabhupada was sitting behind his desk. Brahmananda Maharaja and I were also in the room. Devananda entered the room wearing a bright orange satin robes. When he entered he did not offer obeisances. His long hair and beard were matted. He had a very strange smile on his face. He began to speak to Srila Prabhupada in such a peculiar way that I couldn't understand anything he was saying. While speaking he was moving his hands about as if he were doing some type of mudra. It was too bizarre to watch. It seemed that he may have had too much intoxication.

Srila Prabhupada tolerated his nonsense for a few minutes. There was no conversational exchange as Devananda was incoherent. Finally, his all merciful spiritual master, Srila Prabhupada, said, "If you want to come back, you do like him." He pointed to Brahmananda Maharaja and continued, You shave your head and face, put on a dhoti and then it's all right. You may come back."

Devananda started flailing his arms about, again and said, "No. This is not why I am here." He continued to move his body about while speaking nonsense. Srila Prabhupada had had enough. He shouted, "Get out." At the same time he started to shake with anger. Brahmananda Maharaja grabbed him and forcefully escorted him out of the room. Srila Prabhupada was furious. I felt like I was just struck by lightning even though Srila Prabhupada's anger was not being directed at me. Just being in the vicinity was frightening. If I could have disappeared now was the time to do it. It is difficult to describe the spiritual potency generated by Srila Prabhupada's rage. His total commitment to his disciples was obvious by this encounter.

It was one of the most difficult experiences I faced while with Srila Prabhupada. It was amazing how Srila Prabhupada tolerated his bizarre behavior and offered to accept him back as his disciple even though it was apparent that Devananda had strayed far from the Krishna Conscious path and had crossed the threshold of sanity and teetered on the brink of madness. When His Divine Grace saw that he had no interest in accepting instruction, he mercifully sent him away before he could commit any more offenses.

(From Srila Prabhupada Uvaca 83 April 11, 1975: Hyderabad, India)

Note:For those who might not know,Srila Prabhupada Uvaca can be read online at http://users.aol.com/vrinda/ppduvaca/uvaca.htm

(subsequently edited for typing error)

[This message has been edited by leyh (edited 02-22-2002).]

Room Conversation, Vrindaban, November 24, 1976

Prabhupada: No, it is Krsna's service. Everyone is offering voluntary service. So not that anybody's paid and if he cannot, dismiss or...Yes. This bureaucracy is not... Train him. Train him. If he does not know, train him. But things must be done very nicely by cooperation. That is wanted. Everyone should remember that we are serving Krsna, and everyone should remember, "The other person is serving Krsna. And because he is serving Krsna, he is not my servant; he is my master." That should be always in view. Therefore we address, prabhu: "You are my master." We never address, "You are my servant." We are trained up to say my brother, that "prabhu,such and such prabhu." Prabhu means master. Nobody think himself that he is master. He should always think that everyone is his master because he's serving the master. This is our philosophy. So in this way... Now you have got good arrangement and they're all intelligent persons, young persons.

"So our acaryas in the Gaudia Vaisnava Sampradaya the Sri Rupa, Sanatana, Bhatta Ragunatha, the six Gosvamis, and if we associate with them... this book Nectar of Devotion, Bhakti Rasamrta Sindhu, if you read regularly, try to understand this means you are associating with Srila Rupa Gosvami directly; and if you act accordingly, then you are serving their lotus feet". (His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, Nectar of Devotion lecture,1972.)

San Francisco

July 5, 1970

Srila Prabhupada was attending the 1970 Ratha-yatra in San Franciso.The day was cold and windy,and about ten thousand people had joined Lord Jagannatha's procession through Golden Gate Park.Srila Prabhupada had danced in the street with thousands of participants during the parade,addressing a large crowd in an auditorium by the beach,and looked on as his disciples had distributed a free vegetarian prasadam feast to thousands.But when a devotee arrived with a half-dozen copies of Krsna,the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Srila Prabhupada was especially pleased.

Surrounded by devotees and curious festival-goers, Srila Prabhupada held one of the books,admiring the front cover,with its full-colr picture of Radha and Krsna.The volume was big,almost seven-and-a-half by ten-and-a-half inches,and its dust jacket shone,silver with large bright red letters:"KRSNA."It was a transcendental wonder in Srila Prabhupada's reverent hands.

Onlookers could barely restrain themselves from pressing against Srila Prabhupada to peer over his shoulders.And they didn't restrain their exclamations when Prabhupada smiled and opened the volume.He examined the illustrations,the print,the paper,and the binding."Very nice," he said.He fixed his attention on a page,reading.Then he looked up and announced that this greatly valuable book,Krsna,had just arrived and that everyone should read it.Holding one book in his hand,with the other copies stacked before him,he said that anyone who so desired should come forward and buy a copy.

People began clamoring,and hands with ten-dollar bills thrust forward,while voices cried out,begging for a copy.And Prabhupada promptly sold every book,not even keeping one for himself. (From Prabhupada --- The Authorized Biography by Satsvarupa dasa Goswami,Chapter Seven:Uniting Two Worlds)

[This message has been edited by leyh (edited 02-17-2002).]

Subsequently re-edited for typing error

As far as the conditioned soul is concerned, there is no wonder that he has some sinful activities in his past life, and this should be admitted and confessed before the Lord. As soon as this is done, the Lord excuses the sincere devotee. But that does not mean that one should take advantage of the Lord's causeless mercy and expect to be excused over and over again, while he commits the same sinful activities. Such a mentality is only for shameless persons. Here it is clearly said, "When I come to confess my sinful activities I become ashamed." So if a person is not ashamed of his sinful activities and continues to commit the same sinful activities with the knowledge that the Lord will excuse him, that is a most nonsensical proposition. Such an idea is not accepted in any part of the Vedic literature. It is a fact that by chanting the holy name of the Lord one becomes washed clean of all sinful activities from his past life. But that does not mean that after being washed off, one should again begin sinful activities and expect to be washed again. These are nonsensical propositions and are not admitted in devotional service. Someone may think, "For a whole week I may commit sinful activities, and for one day I will go to the temple or church and admit my sinful activities so that I can become washed off and again begin my sinning." This is most nonsensical and offensive and is not acceptable to the author of Bhakti-rasamrta-sindhu.(Nectar of Devotion By His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada,Chapter Nine)

Interviewer: The chanting of Krsna's name, the Hare Krsna mantra, seems to play a very important role in the profession of your religious belief. Right? In fact, I think I will ask you and some of your followers who are sitting here with us tonight a little bit later to chant the name of Krsna.

Prabhupada: Yes.

Interviewer: That probably would be a proper ending to this particular program. However, I'm still wondering, you know, about some of the aspects. In reading a little bit... I have not read much, of course, but in reading a little bit about your beliefs and your writings, your magazines, your publications...

Prabhupada: I may correct here that it is not my belief.

Interviewer: Well, as you interpret it in your writings. Let me put it that way. It seems to me, sir, that there is a very high emphasis placed on the relationship between the individual and God.

Prabhupada: Yes, yes.

Interviewer: Much more so than upon the...

Prabhupada: That is for everyone.

Interviewer: Yes but more emphasis on that relationship than on the relationship between one individual and another individual. Am I right in that?

Prabhupada: No. We have to establish first of all our lost relationship with God. You see? Then we can understand what is the relationship between one individual to another. If the central point is missing, then there is practically no relationship. Just like you are American. Another is American. Both of you, you feel American nationally because the center is America. So unless you understand God, you cannot understand what I am, neither I can understand what you are. So we have to first of all reestablish our lost relationship with God; then we can establish, talk of universal brotherhood. Otherwise there will be discrimination. Just like in your country, or any country, the national... National means a man born in that land. Is it not? But they do not take the animals as national. Why they have no right to become national? That is imperfect knowledge. There is no God consciousness. Therefore they think only the man born in this land is national, not others.

Interviewer: Yes. That is not necessarily based on the religious principles, of course, what you are talking about.

Prabhupada: No, that is a philosophical principle. Religion without philosophy is sentiment. (Radio Interview with His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada,July 4, 1971, Los Angeles)

"We say that in whatever occupation you may be, try to find out some time and chant Hare Krsna. This is our preaching. So it will help you. At least you will get, even if you are attached to the material activities, you will get next birth a human body, rich family, another chance, or Vaisnava family. That is also great benefit. Even there is no salvation, but he gets opportunity again." (His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada,Conversation in car,April 22, 1972, Tokyo)

"Yes, whoever you tell the chant to, it is effective. You have heard it from me and my disciples, similarly I have heard it from my Guru Maharaja, and so on, and on. Because you have heard it from a pure devotee of the Lord, therefore it is transmitted from you to another. Just as an aerial message, is transmitted from one place to another, similarly, this Guru parampara system is working. My disciples are my agents, my representatives, so by hearing it from them, you are receiving it from me. And because you are a sincere soul, those who are hearing the Mantra from you are receiving it in disciplic succession, from Lord Caitanya and from Lord Krishna." (Letter from His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada to Andrea Temple, Los Angeles

6 March, 1968)

Devotee: Why do you say that Jesus Christ performed so many miracles when he (indistinct), and you never said that Krsna performed any miracles. When Krsna lifted up Govardhana Hill, nobody said that was a miracle. But when Jesus Christ made so many things, they say it's a miracle. How is that?

Prabhupada: The difference is that in Vrndavana they are pure devotees. They knew that "Oh, this is not a miracle for Krsna. Krsna can do anything and everything." So they were not surprised. If I lift one mountain, you will be surprised because you know that "Swamiji is man. How he is lifting?" But they know that Krsna is all-powerful. So there was no surprise. It is just like natural work. They were so much affectionate to Krsna that... He was not only lifting. Every day He was doing so much great performances, and His boyfriends, they would come home, and they would narrate the story to their mothers, "Oh, mother, today Krsna performed like this. There was a great demon, and He killed him immediately." And the mother will say, "Oh, Krsna did that? He is very nice boy, very nice." (laughter) Because they were so affectionate to Krsna, they always think, "Everything is possible for Krsna. Krsna is so nice. Krsna is so great." That is their idea. So (indistinct) that is not miracle. That is ordinary thing for Him. Just like Yasoda. Krsna's friends complained, "Mother Yasoda, Krsna has eaten earth. You gave Him sweetmeat, but He was not eating sweetmeat." You know. The boys, they complain each other and again make friends. So Yasoda was..., "Oh, Krsna, I gave You sweetmeats. You are eating earth?No, mother. I have not eaten. They are telling false." And they were still, "Yes. We have seen, mother, He has eaten." Then mother asked Him, "Oh, show Your face. Open Your mouth. I want to see." So He opened His mouth, and she saw all the universe within His mouth, not only earth, the whole planets, sun and moon, and everything, within His mouth. Then she thought, "Oh, what I have seen? All right. Don't do it." That's all. (laughter) She is not at all surprised. She thought that "I saw something. Maybe I wrong or right. All right. Don't do it." That's all. So they were so much affectionate to Krsna that Krsna's this jugglery could not enchant them. (chuckles) You see? Therefore Krsna said to the gopis that "Your love is so pure that it is not possible for Me to repay." Krsna is declaring insolvent to pay their debt. "You be satisfied with your love only. I cannot repay." That is the position of Krsna. Krsna and the residents of Vrndavana so affectionately connected, that there is no such conception that "Krsna is God, Krsna can play wonderful things." They simply love Krsna. And out of love they forget everything. "All right. That's all right. That's all right." So that ecstasy of love is only possible in Vrndavana. (break) (Questions and Answers,September 6, 1968, New York)