IndiaDivine.org
Gauracandra

Modern Architecture & Sacred Space

Rate this topic

It'll be AWESOME. But they need to think of building up the entire area. A huge temple needs plenty of infrastructure. Its not enough for it to be on its own. They should build up education, health, sewage systems, businesses etc.... Then it will be truly amazing.

Prabhupada's vision I believe. Jaya to their service. I would imagine a lot of infrastructure would be required. having never been there i can't really get a picture of the surrounding terrain.

Guest guest

Not to mention some substance to live in the form.And just a little more cash than they have, otherwise it's all pie in the sky.

Have to admit it's nice pie in the sky though. I especially like the folliage.

Guest guest

Actually if the truth be known this was one of the visions and wishes of Srila Sridhara Maharaj that Prabhupad wanted to fulfill and i would say they both shared in their intimate exchanges. Initially the present temple that is dedicated to Prabhupad was originally the heartchild of Srila Sridhara Maharaj based on Sri Sanatans Brhat Bhagavatamrtm the idea was to show the different levels of God Realization rising thru the planetary systems and ultimately culminating in Radha Dasyam in Goloka.

But somewhere along the way the vision was changed, ambushed. I'm told by Bhavananda and perhaps others. A crying shame because all perfection is reached by doing the will of the Mahabhagavats. Everything is set right when Krsnas' devotee is pleased.

Guest guest

It would take many years just to build up the hill in that picture it's all flat ground and would take massive amounts of excavation plus it's not all that stable, alot of water flowing on both sides and underground.

But where there is a will there is a way.

A pure devotee can do it.

Based on Brihad Bhagavatamritam huh? Never heard that. That is a wonderful vision. What is it now?

People can nah say all they like, but everything we see has manifested from the conceptionual plane. It starts with a clear sustained vision.

I thought it was set on a hill at first also. i believe if you look more carefully you will see that it really is set on a flat plane. i think the trees cause the optical illusion

of the Sri Mayapur Project was born from a seed (bija) mantra spoken to srila Jiva Goswami by Lord Nityananda. The mantra, spoken 500 years ago foretells the appearance of a marvelous temple dedicated to the service of Lord Caitanya - a temple destined to have a powerful influence on the world.

eka adbhuta mandira ei haibe prakasa

gauranga nitya-seva haibe vikasa

"An astounding temple will appear and will engage the entire world in the eternal service of Lord Caitanya."

A succession of our saintly gurus has worked diligently to bring forth that vision. Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakur expanded the vision to include a temple town with residents from all countries. Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati built a major temple at Lord Caitanya's birthplace. Srila A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada defined the size and design details of the temple and town. He also bought the land, laid the cornerstone, and left the royalties from his numerous books to help fund the construction

of the Vedic Planetarium will be built 5 meters above the highest recorded flood level of the Ganges. The entire structure rests atop a poured concrete slab 2.5 mt. thick covering roughly 4 acres. This slab will act as a raft to literally float the building on the muddy Gangetic delta which makes up Mayapur. (Srila Prabhupada first conceived of a large concrete raft as a foundation for the temple in August 1971.)

The temple consists of 3 connected domes structures. The third structure, the main temple, will stand about 35 stories tall. (Prabhupada's samadhi is about 16 stories tall) This building will house a magnificent deity chamber, with altars for Radha-Madhava, life size Panca-Tattva deities and the guru-parampara. The spires and inner dome of this building will be on scale with the largert religious structures on earth, including St Paul's in London and St. Peter's in Rome

Guest guest

They had better decide which books they're going to sell, and start furiously distributing, that's a lot of books.

This picture still looks like it is on a mound to me, but if it isn't it will be all the more bricks or concrete panels that will have to go into it.

Who are the architechs and were they inspired through revelation, or do they use the 'Golden Mean' principal that many Indian temples are designed on, I don't think these particular plans were around in Prabhupads presence, were they?

It'll be interesting if we get to see it manifest in our lifetime.

architect for the sri Mayapur project is ... Sevanam Dasa, a Ph.D candidate at the Prince of Wales's foundation of Architecture in England. Around 1999, ... Sevanam, presented plans for the Mayapur Project to Prince Charles, who founded and oversees the Foundation and is well known as an aficionate of sacred architecture.

The London engineering firm of Alan baxter and associates are involved too. That firm had ingeneered contemporary constructions, restored ancient stupas, and preserved and renovated such England landmarks as St Paul's, the Tower of London, and the Houses of Parliament.

The temple will be built solely of bricks and concrete. To protect the temple from the possibility that the meandering Ganga herself could someday erode the foundation, the engineers have utilized the ingenious "rip-rap" system. Should water ever begin to undermine the ground near the temple, huge blocks of granite, pre-set around the foundation, will stop the erosion. Securing the building's foundation, these granite blocks, in effect, create a barrier wall and would make the temple an island. Many long standing bridges employ this system.

The engineers say "there is always a long gestation period for religious buildings of this magnitude. The Washington Cathedral, for example, in the capital of the most prosperous nation on earth, took nearly a century to build and was finished only a few years ago. As the project engineers, we are naturally very eager to see the temple go up in our lifetimes."

Atma: I don't know what is going on now in Mayapur about the temple, but there were lots of dedicated devotees working in many aspects of the project. ... Sevanam is one of the sweetest devotees that I ever met, extremely intelligent and really nice.

They spent here in LA $200 million for the new Catholic Cathedral that is ok, nothing spectacular. I don't know how much the Mayapur temple will cost, but for Lord Krsna, $200 million is like a drop in the ocean. It would be really nice if we can see this temple in our lifetime.

I remember that I saw the plans for the pujaris quarters near the temple with all the different areas for the men and ladies pujaris. They already were thinking how many pujaris and cooks would be needed and women were included in the plan. It was really sweet.

Guest guest

I am looking for the architect of this temple, and i cannot find it anywhere- do you happen to know who it is?

Guest guest

Haribol.I need if u can help me. Can u please tell me, what is the type of arch used in Vedic or HIndi Temples. Any explanations of why they use this type?

I`ll be thankful.

hare Krishna

Guest guest

I heard it was an Indian Architect who designed this temple to its current form. Could you tell me the name of that architect?

Guest guest

This temple project claims to be the biggest in North America. Looking at the plans, it really is freakin' huge! It looks like its actually going ahead too, because they've got construction pictures up.

I think its based on temples in London, Chicago and Houston also belonging to the same swami narayana sect.

Guest guest

Those are some very interesting pictures posted by Gauracandra. I wonder if anyone has the interior photos of the Chowpatty ISKCON temple. I know there are some devotees from there that visit the forums.

The Chowpatty ISKCON temple interior is the most beautiful interior you will see anywhere. The entire hall's walls are made out of intricately carved teak wood. Hopefully someone can post a photo.

Visit virtualtempletour.com for details of the interior.

That Thorncrown chapel is amazing. Simple and natural. My better half, who is an architect loves it. I am not a fan of gratuitous gigantism ( eg..Srila Prabhupada's Pushpa Samadhi ). I think "small is beautifulsimple living, high thinking" etc...suits Vaishnavas better.

I am a practicing Vastu Teacher and Consultant in Noida. I wonder if it is possible to design buildings, group housing projects and townships on the designs of Yantras to promote harmony and prosperity for the residents. Prima facie it seems impossible and outrageous an idea because it does not fit into the design grammar of traditional vastu. But with the changing times the design theory needs to be reviewed too. I wonder if some of the readers would have something valuable to contribute on taking this idea further. Regards. Arun Naik.