IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Sirona

Gita on the topic of charity?

Rate this topic

Charity that is given as a matter of duty, to a deserving candidate who does nothing in

return, at the right place and time, is called a Saattvika charity. (17.20)

Charity that is given unwillingly, or to get something in return, or looking for some

fruit, is called Raajasika charity. (17.21)

Charity that is given at a wrong place and time, to unworthy persons, without paying

respect or with contempt, is said to be Taamasika charity. (17.22)

Would you please explain to me the meaning of the verses above.

I had been reading Prabhupad's Gita with his comments. The conclusion I have drawn from his statements is that donations must be given to the bramanas only. Charity towards the "unworthy", all those who have no spiritiual knowlegde (if I got Prabhupad right, all but brahmanas) is not recommended. Now this would mean that the defavoured are excluded from receiving charity gifts. I can hardly believe that and therefore I'd like to ask you about this. Thank you.

My view is that every action has some form of reaction.

If a homeless man asks for money and I give him some, then goes and buys alcohol with it, we have given money that brings about tamasic reactions both to the person and to the world.

If we give in charity to someone who is needy, but in such a manner as to further entangle the person, then we might increase rajasic tendencies in the world.

And if we give money in such a manner as to uplift the world, and center it on God, then positive or satvic reactions will occur.

So the best thing we can do is to use charity in such a manner as to help materially and spiritually. Certainly we don't want to assist in self-destructive behavior. And while purely material assistance helps in some regard it doesn't help a person in the ultimate sense. If we can tie charity, like offering sanctified food offered to God to those who are poor, then this benefits them materially and spiritually. Thats my take on it.

Gauracandra

That's a pretty good summary of Prabhupada's instructions on this matter.

From his own example it is clear that charity can and should be given to all worthy people. He instructed his disciples that no one should go hungry for 10 miles around his temples. On the other hand he was against just giving money to a beggar, who would later use the money to buy cigarettes.

In big cities like Bombay, the beggars can make up to 500 rupees a day. They have television sets with cable connections, and they live in nice apartments.

In South India, the beggars and Swamis use the money to by beedis, hence they are sometimes called as "beedi swamis". What is the use in helping people engage in self-destructive activities. Such charity is not being given to a worthy person.

The dharma-shastras instruct us as to who is a worthy recipient, who is a worthy giver, and what is a worthy object of charity. If we follow these instructions our charity will be utilized for the proper purpose by a proper recipient.

Here are some statements I found on charity (giving food)

The gods have not ordained that humans die of hunger;

even to the well-fed man death comes in many shapes.

The wealth of the generous man never wastes away,

but the niggard has none to console him.

He who, possessed of food, hardens his heart

against the weak man, hungry and suffering,

who comes to him for help, though of old he helped him -

surely he finds none to console him. …

In vain does the mean man acquire food;

it is - I speak the truth - verily his death;

he who does not cherish a comrade or a friend,

who eats all alone, is all sin.

Rig Veda 10.117.1-2,6

He instructed his disciples that no one should go hungry for 10 miles around his temples.

I consider it as praiseworthy with whole of my heart (of course, assuming that I have a heart Posted Image). I am talking about the program under which you are feeding poor children.

In big cities like Bombay, the beggars can make up to 500 rupees a day. They have television sets with cable connections, and they live in nice apartments.

That sounds cool.

Cheers