IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
gHari

George Has Left

Rate this topic

I don't think this has been posted here already, although I quickly checked all five pages my eyes and memory aren't what they were...valaya

"Syamarani Dasi" <syamarani@hotmail.com>

To :

bvnmbillboard@, harikatha@

Subject :

[bvnmbillboard] Prabhupada, George Harrison, and Bold Preaching:

Date :

Fri, 25 Jan 2002 19:26:16 -0800

Respected Maharajas, Prabhus and Didis,

Dandavat pranama. Jaya Sri Sri Guru and Gauranga.

Usually you receive, from this address, the recent darsanas and

lectures of

Srila Bhaktivedanta Narayana Gosvami Maharaja, and on the odd

occasion you

receive one of his older darsanas or lectures. Today you are

receiving an

old darsana of Srila Prabhupada Bhaktivedanta Svami Maharaja,

which took

place in July of 1974, and which came from one of the few

cassettes that had

never been typed for folio.

George Harrison was sincerely trying to be one of Prabhupada's

'new

bhaktas', and he posed the same types of questions and doubts

that many of

us have, even at present, regarding enthusiastic and bold

preaching of Krsna

consciousness and proper siddhanta in the face of obstacles and

potential

enmity. My revered Gurudeva, Srila Narayana Maharaja, is always

encouraging

his disciples, followers, and friends to boldly preach the

mission of Sri

Caitanya Mahaprabhu, the mission of our Srila Prabhupada, and

Srila

Prabhupada is doing the same in this darsana.

My god-brother, Sripad Sarvabhauma dasa Adhikari of Maui,

Hawaii, was kind

enough to lend me his cassette recording for the following

transcription,

which I pray will be pleasing to the devotees.

Aspiring for the service of the Vaisnavas, Sevanandi dasi]

Tridandisvami Sri Srimad Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada

A UNIQUE ROOM CONVERSATION

July, 1974

[George Harrison:] Syamasundara and I were talking just on the

way here, and

it's like when you commit yourself to something, in a way it's

like putting

your head on the chopping block.

[Prabhupada:] Not chopping block.

[George Harrison:] Because somebody can turn around and chop it

off, or it

may be you're lucky and it doesn't get chopped off. I find that

the more

commitment I've made, though it's such a little commitment

relatively

speaking, it's such a little one, now I'm getting in the area

where I find

that people are...it provokes…

[srila Prabhupada:] Thoughts.

[George Harrison:] Sometimes it provokes bad reactions.

[syamasundara dasa:] Sometimes people become agitated by his

words.

[srila Prabhupada:] Murkhayo 'padeso hi prakopaya na santaye.

There is a

verse, which states that if one is foolish and if you give him

good

instruction, he becomes angry. Payam panam bhujanganam kevalam

visa-vardhanam. The example is given that if you keep a snake

and give him

milk, the result will be that his poison will be increased.

Sometimes it

happens that if one is foolish and you give him good advice, he

becomes

angry. But has it happened like that? No, I don't think so.

[George Harrison:] I can feel that a little animosity comes from

people who,

and I don't know for what reason, but people...

[srila Prabhupada:] Enviousness.

[George Harrison:] And in some ways the more committed you are

to the thing,

and the stronger you are in what you do, then the stronger the

animosity.

[srila Prabhupada:] The other side

[George Harrison:] Sometimes I get the feeling that maybe

there's one person

who it means something real to and ten people who it doesn't

mean anything

to; and I'm not sure how or if it all balances out in the end.

[syamasundara dasa:] But if you reach one person...

[George Harrison:] But say you don't reach any people, and then

you have a

choice of reaching people, and you only reach one, and by

reaching that one

you have twenty people who are annoyed.

[srila Prabhupada:] Yes, sometimes it happens.

[syamasundara dasa:] His question is that if you preach and you

meet many

men, ten men, you may make nine of them enemies but one will

become helped

by your preaching. So how is that...

[George Harrison:] But if you don't say anything, then maybe all

ten of them

are quite friendly.

[syamasundara dasa:] So how is that beneficial?

[srila Prabhupada:] Yes, the preaching is different. You see,

when one

preaches he must tell the truth - just like Lord Jesus Christ.

People did

not like his preaching, but he did not stop his preaching. That

is another

point. In the preaching propaganda there is possibility of

creating

animosity. Yes, there is possibility.  Unnecessarily, some of my

god-brothers [unclear - in a certain temple], although we are

innocent, we

are simply worshipping, we have given them money, and everything

is all

right, but they are creating some animosity.

Especially in God consciousness such things are possible, you

see? We have

to pay sometimes. Even Prahlada Maharaja. He was a five-year old

boy, and

his only fault was his Krsna consciousness. His father became

his enemy,

what to speak of others. Because his father did not like God

consciousness,

he became the enemy of his child, even though the child was only

five years

old. So there is possibility of such things.

[syamasundara dasa:] Those who take the biggest risk for Krsna,

even though

they stand the risk of losing everything, Krsna always comes to

help and

protect them.

[srila Prabhupada:] That is the history of everyone. Just like

the Pandavas.

They were bereft of their kingdom, bereft of their wife, they

were insulted,

so many things. Still, at last they came out victorious. Arjuna

and

Yudhisthira. And the other party was defeated the Kuruksetra

war. That is

fact; Krsna protects His devotee. That mercy is there. Kaunteya

pratijanahi

na me bhaktah pranasyati .

So you have this record album, Living in the Material World, and

I heard

that it was appreciated by so many people. Even one teacher was

telling

me...

[syamasundara dasa:] Our teacher came to visit Prabhupada. He

said he played

your record in his classroom, he teaches religious education,

and they were

standing, the children, and one of them began to pray. It had a

great

effect.

[George Harrison:] There is one song in particular, which is

directly the

result of the conversation we had when you came...

[srila Prabhupada:] Yes, in your house.

[George Harrison:] About fame and fortune and...

[srila Prabhupada:] So the record is now received well there...

the people

are seeking after something, about spiritual enlightenment.

That's a fact.

Especially in the Western world. That is a fact. We have to

administer very

cautiously and carefully, and then it will be taken. One thing

is when you

speak of restrictions, the four principles, that is when they

become angry.

Because everyone is addicted to these things.

[This message has been edited by valaya (edited 02-02-2002).]

ISKCON to create garden in Mayapura and dedicate it to Bhakta George Harrison:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/music/newsid_1894000/1894009.stm

The 2 hour BBC Special called GEORGE HARRISON: THE INNER LIGHT is now on the internet:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/inside/harrison_doc.shtml <font color="#dedfdf">

[This message has been edited by gHari (edited 04-02-2002).]

Wow this is great news! And this morning I could not believe the treasure I unearthed, that I never listened to before. It is an audio tape made at Bhaktivedanta Manor in 1993, in Srila Prabhupada's rooms, of George leading a wonderful simple Hare Krsna kirtan. I never knew that was on the tape and never got around to listening to it for some crazy reason. Listening to it, I was thinking that George's voice is so sweet, like it was made for chanting Hare Krsna. What a humble special person.

Jayaradhe

Originally posted by JRdd:

Wow this is great news! And this morning I could not believe the treasure I unearthed, that I never listened to before. It is an audio tape made at Bhaktivedanta Manor in 1993, in Srila Prabhupada's rooms, of George leading a wonderful simple Hare Krsna kirtan. I never knew that was on the tape and never got around to listening to it for some crazy reason. Listening to it, I was thinking that George's voice is so sweet, like it was made for chanting Hare Krsna. What a humble special person.

Jayaradhe

Whoa! What about making a copy and sendiing it to the archives (or someone else) for publication? I'd like to have a copy of that myself.

Yeah and there is a video of it too, I saw right after the festival ended. Gurudas prabhu, who had been sent for from America as a special guest of this Prabhupada Reunion Festival, gave me three tapes of this festival, and I don't know why I never listened to them. I did hear a lot of the nectar stories in person, but now I heard even more, that I never heard before. The other day a devotee who is more an exish-devotee now, having taken to Christianity, told me incredible personal stories about Srila Prabhupada. There is so much nectar out there, to be shared. Gurudas has the most nectarean collection of personal stories I have ever seen or heard. His rasa with Srila Prabhupada was mainly affectionate and very humourous.

Stonehearted, email me for a copy.

Actually last night I was thinking (and this is only because my income suddenly dropped significantly this month (more than a third of it, so I am not feeling sufficiently secure to make a general offer to make tapes for everyone here), that maybe somone can donate for some blank tapes, and someone else for postage, and I can make copies and send them to whoever asks. If this idea appeals to anyone, maybe fifteen or twenty bucks toward either tapes or postage (and I can cover the rest), I could just make the tapes and send them. Or someone can have a copy from me and do it themselves for everyone else, especially if they have better copying facilities.

ys, Jayaradhe

(edited to remove email address as too often, without first requesting my permission, I get put on devotees' lists and get sent lots of propoganda and arguments I am not interested in. On top of that, they display my address--instead of courteously sending blind copies--so then I get similar emails from other devotees. I already had to close one email box because of the inundation.)

Braveheart, I seem to recall you have my email address anyway, I hope.

JR

[This message has been edited by JRdd (edited 04-10-2002).]

Actually last night I was thinking

(and this is only because my income suddenly dropped significantnly

this month (more than a third of it, so I am not feeling sufficiently

secure to make a general offer to make tapes for everyone here),

that maybe somone can donate for some blank tapes, and someone else

for postage, and I can make copies and send them to whoever asks.

I am noticing this much in many persons that as the spiritual outcome

increases the material income decreases.

Someone in my family is telling me that Mata Laxshmi becomes jealous

of devotees when they are becoming too dear to Krishna.

could this be true?

[This message has been edited by Shashi (edited 04-07-2002).]

Well you sure have a wonderful heart-way with words. It it the sign of a true devotee that he or she sees others as devotees, and your words are so kind.

I really don't know, though. I heard Srila Prabhupada say that when Krsna is there, Laxmi is there. He said all our needs, both material and spiritual, are satisfied when we take to Krsna consciousness.

Then again, he says when Krsna favors His devotee, He takes everything away. I can understand this now more than I ever could before, because it's finally sinking in to me how it really is His kindness, to make the devotee take more and more shelter of Him, and in that feel true security.

But I wouldn't mind having more money too. Posted Image I suspect that's just because I'm not a real devotee, just practicing to be one.

Jayaradhe

Haribol Jayaradhe,

I have that video as well with George Harrison at Bhaktivedanta Manor in England. I wonder if you'd agree with me, and I don't want to seem offensive to anyone, but I thought George was the most humble of everyone present in the video. By which I mean, if you watch it, every one is jumping in and talking and saying this and that, but George just is very quiet and doesn't say a whole lot. Partly I suspect a lot of them were just nervous being next to a celebrity. It was just something funny I noticed. George is leading kirtan. When it is finished he is very gracious and quiet. Never making a big show or anything.

But I wouldn't mind having more money too. Posted Image I suspect that's just because I'm not a real devotee, just practicing to be one.

Jayaradhe

Sister Prabhu I am thinking you are a real devotee muskaraiding as a matirealist because you are having all the trappings of the devotees including the modesty which as you know is the suttlest and most perilous trap. Posted Image

Whoa! Wow! So true Sashi!!! Lots of food for thought there! Yes and even modesty can be just an external trapping as you say. Easy to be fooled, even more so by oneself than by others. So who knows? Only Krsna it seems.

Gauracandra, I saw that video just once, in England. I had been there for that festival and someone showed it right after. Where can we get this video? This means they must sell the tapes then? I cringed in that video as I kept showing up in it and it looked like I was following George. The truth is, and I remember this well, everywhere I went I kept running into George, whether it was taking off my shoes to go in, or out, just everywhere kept running into him. When he first arrived, I had been tipped off and he came with absolutely no fanfare, and really did seem like just one of the guys, and very happy to be so too. I remember feeling as I would feel at seeing any devotee I missed and dearly wanted to see, and his smile was modest. I sat next to him on the grass in the pandal, it turned out to be a free spot there anyway, and no one even noticed he was there, just sitting listening to the Prabhupada nectar stories. I felt so happy for him that he could be among the devotees and know that the real famous person is Krsna, and that next to Krsna and Srila Prabhupada, he was just one of us. I felt that was the mood overall. But I think you may be onto something, as far as that gathering in Prabhupada's room, some being a little excited.

That whole festival was wonderful. I think it lasted a week, I can't remember. It was the first one they did.

ys, Jayaradhe

Jayaradhe,

I got the video as a gift, but I think you can purchase a copy from www.itvproductions.net . I check their website and it is not listed, but I'm almost positive they are the one's producing it. So send them an email. The video was a tribute to George Harrison after he passed away. There are several different clips, not just the Bhaktivedanta Manor ones. Its probably like 45 minutes long and will likely cost just under $20.

The Devas said to lord Siva (Bhagavata, 8.7.33):

"Exalted, self-satisfied persons who preach to the entire world think of your lotus feet constantly within their hearts. However, when persons who do not know your austerity see you moving with Uma, they misunderstand you to be lusty, or when they see you wandering in the crematorium they mistakenly think that you are ferocious and envious.

Certainly they are shameless. They cannot understand your activities."

Gauracandra prabhu, since you seem to be on the forums right now I thought it would be fun to thank you here for the video tape, which arrived today.

We are going to see it tomorrow, like make it a special thing to sit down with it, be part of our George tribute theme day (which may mean just playing tapes and this video. Unless someone's into making trifle). I can hardly wait. Thank you!

ys, Jayaradhe

Guest guest

I have always believed he was the most underrated guitarist of all time but really better than clapto & hendrix...please

give me more info...

a devoted fan

wddenis3@

I dont know if anyone is interested but I really feel something needs to be done about this and I don't have it in me. This Hindu lady, whom I think use to run around the AOL hindu message boards criticizing Hare Krishna's, saying Prabhupada is ordinary man, etc., is now taking this opportunity of GHs passing and the attention it gets us, to put us down. Please, someone at least take a look. Her sn is Indrani. I know some may say let it slide, but she does this big time, and it effects many readers who think she knows what shes talking about. (AND these ARE message boards for people to talk about GEORGE and what HE was into. - Sorry about the caps, not screaming, just emphasizing.)

http://www.beliefnet.com/boards/message_list.asp?boardID=388&discussionID=9966

[This message has been edited by Keeshori (edited 12-23-2001).]

Chant Hare Krishna, be happy.

Oh my gosh prabhu, this woman and I use to go at it regularly, because she is not the least bit humble and has such deep envy for Srila Prabhupada! SHE wants to be the guru. Did you know she has students? Once she mentioned it, so I said, "Oh, you have students." She became so proud. I made some comment in return but I forget what it is now. Nevertheless, she is on a mission to knock down Prabhupada as well as his entire movement.

I too have said someone needs to do something about her, but no one does! I could not do it alone at the time, and can't get into it now at this time. I do hope, however, you find someone to help you with this if still into it. Or that someone out there just starts doing it. As she is saying horrible, offensive things.

She even told me she met Prabhupada and that he was nice, but only ordinary man. How the heck would she know? She is so puffed up, coupled with fault finder, Krishna Himself could stand before her and she would only see an ordinary man! But this is the nonsense she has been spreading around the net for years. My encounter with her was sometime in the late 90s, and she was all ready going at it big time. And now 03, she still is on her mission to make us loose credibility. Thats what its all about, trying to discredit us. And I think she has some influence at least in the Hindu community, and with some New Agers who might otherwise want to hear higher truths than she has to offer.

Ok, thats my two cents on this. I agree with you something needs to be done about her, possibly a few devotees to organize and follow her around the net and defeat her countless offensive posts about Prabhupada, but no one wants to do it, and I all ready paid my dues. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have always believed he was the most underrated guitarist of all time but really better than clapto & hendrix...please

give me more info...

a devoted fan

wddenis3@

I can't help you music wise (tho I am sure others here can), but I have a devotional web site which I put together shortly after George left this world. Sort of a tribute to him, and good for us too, cuz so few out there really know details about his devotional side. Anyhow, if interested, here is the url:

http://www.geocities.com/priitaa/InspNewsL/fortysix.htm

Hope you like it! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

P.S. to others who knew her: I still find it a little difficult or odd to read posts by JayaRadhe. Wonder if anyone else does.

It has been over ten years since I had that record - I recall this:

jai krishna jai krishna krishna krishna jai sri krishna - jai rhade jai rhade rhade rhade jai sri rhade jai krishna jai krishna krishna krishna jai sri krishna - jai rhade jai rhade rhade rhade jai sri rhade - jai krishna jai krishna krishna krishna jai sri krishna - jai rhade jai rhade rhade rhade jai sri rhade - jai krishna jai krishna krishna krishna jai sri krishna - jai rhade jai rhade rhade rhade jai sri rhade - jai krishna jai krishna krishna krishna jai sri krishna - jai rhade jai rhade rhade rhade jai sri rhade - jai krishna jai krishna krishna krishna jai sri krishna - jai rhade jai rhade rhade rhade jai sri rhade - jai krishna jai krishna krishna krishna jai sri krishna - jai rhade jai rhade rhade rhade jai sri rhade - jai krishna jai krishna krishna krishna jai sri krishna - jai rhade jai rhade rhade rhade jai sri rhade - jai krishna jai krishna krishna krishna jai sri krishna - jai rhade jai rhade rhade rhade jai sri rhade - ad-infinitum....

I was often punished in school 'writing lines' [lol].

Here he is singing My Sweet Lord:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95LFNe3Uw-w

The following video is from From "The Concert For George" (Royal Albert Hall in London; November 29, 2002)

George's son Dhani plays guitar on it and looks just like him. Also playing are Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr, Paul McCartney, Billy Preston, and other of his friends.

A quote from the inside cover of the newly re-issued George Harrison

album...'Living in the material world'.

"I think with us having all the material wealth that we need...you know, the average person feels that if they had a car and a telly and a house then that's where it's at. But if you get a car and a telly and a house...and even a lot of money...your life's still empty because it's still on this gross level. What we need isn't material, it's spiritual. We need some other form of peace and happiness."

'George Harrison said those words in September 1967. It was a remarkable insight from a 24-year old, whose recent investigation of Indian music had led to the discovery of a spiritual path that he would follow for the rest of his life.'

thanks for the videos, sruti.

Guest guest

the next day, i was on amtrak headed north, a high stakes poker game with mr phelps (peter graves) in the dome car, herb wafting everywhere, then a spontaneous jam of lennons songs broke out, foue axes goin, everyone goin strong, until about midnight, starting the uphill grind of the siskayous.

We did only a northern song, then we chanted. Mission impossible, but there wasnt a dry eye in the place. Great kirtana.

haribol, mahaksadasa