IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
gHari

George Has Left

Rate this topic

Richenbacher was his first, but I have him with an Ibanez Artist (like the santana signature model) as well. I have an Artist, and the solid neck acts as a tremolo in itself, and as I previously mentioned, George definitely does not get enough credit for his sheer ability on di axe.

Does anyone remember the Rolling Stone article about the best musician in the world. Eric Clapton was chosen, but he stated during the interview that George was far better than him. The reporter turned to George, and asked his opinion, and George said that Srila Prabhupada is the best musician in the world. So, in ca.1970, rolling stone settled the issue of who the greatest musician was, Srila Prabhupada.

PS george also played an acoustic gretch with a cutaway, and i ALSO HEARD THAT HE WAS NO SLOUCH ON THE KEYBOARD AS WELL.

HARE KRSNA, YS, MAHAKSADASA

(PS I wasnt yellin, my fat fingers just hit the "caps lock" button, Ill save my yellin for the other topic)

imho, the best eulogy ever!

Originally posted by mahak:

Does anyone remember the Rolling Stone article about the best musician in the world. Eric Clapton was chosen, but he stated during the interview that George was far better than him. The reporter turned to George, and asked his opinion, and George said that Srila Prabhupada is the best musician in the world. So, in ca.1970, rolling stone settled the issue of who the greatest musician was, Srila Prabhupada.

And then Srila Prabhupada would say, upon being asked the question....

Originally posted by JRdd:

And then Srila Prabhupada would say, upon being asked the question....

Yes !

But Talasiga says:

Krishna is the worst Flautist !

When He plays the happiest raga

Everybody cries .....

And his saddest raga

even Radha will not hear.

All glories to the joyous Jamuna !

All glories to the Silent Sadness at Her shore !

[This message has been edited by talasiga (edited 12-13-2001).]

Babhru Prabhu earlier alluded to some speculation that George Harrison is kripa-siddha, a recipient of Sri Krsna's special causeless mercy. Here is a wonderful touching description by Srila Prabhupada of Krsna's inconceivable kindness:

Part of a morning walk on March 25th 1976:

PuSTa KRSNa: So even a person merged in the mode of ignorance can by some good fortune surrender to KRSNa.

PrabhupAda: No good fortune. God, KRSNa, says, "You do it"; you do it. Here immediately you become fortunate. There is no question of waiting for becoming fortunate. You become fortunate immediately. Suppose if I say, "Take this bag, 100,000 dollars." You can take it. Immediately you become rich man. Why don't you take it?

Guru dAsa: How does kRpA-siddhi work, SrIla PrabhupAda?

PrabhupAda: Hm?

Guru dAsa: KRpA-siddhi. How does that work?

PrabhupAda: KRpA-siddhi means that you are not willing take this bag. I say, "Take it, take it, take it." (laughter) "No." That is kRpA-siddhi. Even you are unwilling, I give you in your pocket, push it. That is kRpA-siddhi. (laughter)

<font color=blue>Check your pockets, folks.</font>

Originally posted by gHari:

<font color=blue>Check your pockets, folks.</font>

<font color=red>Nope</font>

You're not in mine !

My noisiest pocket has some

honest change left from a <font color=green>taxi fare</font>.....

Posted Image

From hospital bed:

'I will transcend this body. I will have a new beginning after I leave this shell. I will be amongst the living. I will watch over Olivia and Dhani (his wife and son). I will live with them and through them.'

http://www.ananova.com/yournews/story/sm_477213.html

<font color="#dedfdf">

[This message has been edited by gHari (edited 12-20-2001).]

Wednesday December 19 09:00 PM EST

Report: George Died at Paul's House

There's a new report that might finally put an end to the intrigue of where George Harrison spent his final days.

Los Angeles's UPN13 is reporting the legendary guitarist actually passed away in a secluded Beverly Hills residence owned by fellow Beatle Paul McCartney.

Citing unnamed sources, the TV station says McCartney met with Harrison about two weeks before his death. During his visit, McCartney reportedly agreed to let Harrison use the home, which is only minutes from UCLA Medical Center, where Harrison sought cancer treatment.

McCartney had purchased the Hollywood Hills spread from rocker Courtney Love in March, according to the Los Angeles Times.

The report sheds some light on the mystery surrounding Harrison's death certificate, which claimed he died of "metastatic non-small lung cancer" on November 29 at 1:20 p.m. at 1971 Coldwater Canyon Drive in Beverly Hills--an address listed to Harrison's wife, Olivia.

But that address doesn't exist. Harrison was believed to have died at the home of family friend and noted celebrity security expert Gavin De Becker, the person who broke the news of the death. But De Becker doesn't own any property on Coldwater Canyon.

The fake address may have been floated to keep the death site from becoming another stop on Hollywood's ghoulish celebrity death tours.

Because falsifying public documents is a misdemeanor offense under California law, celebrity attorney Gloria Allred filed a complaint with the Los Angeles County District Attorney, saying that no one, not even the rich and famous, should be above the law.

But the complaint has been put on the backburner, according to District Attorney spokeswoman Jane Robison. "An investigation could take up to year and with the holidays coming, it's just not a priority," says Robison.

While the address doesn't match the death certificate, the McCartney property is on Coldwater Canyon. He purchased the 4,200-square foot, four-bedroom French Country-style manor for $4 million from Courtney Love to use as an L.A. retreat when he was in town.

The house was originally built in 1938 and attracted such celebs as Ellen DeGeneres, Love, McCartney--and apparently Harrison--because its stone walls, mature trees and gated entrance keep away gawkers.

This is the second time Paul's name has been linked to a Beatles death mystery. When his wife, Linda, died of breast cancer in 1998, she was originally said to have passed away in Santa Barbara, California. It later turned out that the family had fibbed for the purpose of privacy and that she likely died at McCartney's ranch in Arizona.

Noting an error in the above article relating to the Mahamantra:

TO: hinduism.guide@about.com

Haribol,

I believe that Srila Prabhupada would be unhappy to be called a reincarnation of Lord Caitanya. Caitanya Mahaprabhu is considered Vishnu-tattva (that is, God Himself), while His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, although clearly a very very great personality is considered Guru-tattva. He is a servant of Lord Caitanya, and a servant of His servants.

I write because this is a very important issue that requires immediate attention.

Thank you.

gHari Stevason

<font color="#f7f7f7">

[This message has been edited by gHari (edited 12-21-2001).]

Although it appears that George was more absorbed in bhakti than John was, and from a strictly musical standpoint he has been acclaimed as the superior talent as a performer, however, two hundred years from now there is a good chance John Lennon will be remembered as a great composer. That is not likely in the case of George. No disrespect intended. It is just a matter of two different skill sets that do not necessarily overlap, the skill of writing music and that of performing it. We also have to take into consideration comparisons with great and brilliant geniuses like Bach, Beethoven and Mozart, when forecasting who from the 20th century will make a mark on history.

[This message has been edited by Ananga (edited 12-21-2001).]

Is there really a whole group that believe that SP is a reincarnation of Sri Caitanya, or just one eccentric fellow with his own website? Where does such madness originate from? Is it due to indulgence in mind altering drugs or alcohol? Is it some form of schizophrenia? That was always something that set SP apart from so many other India gurus: That he set out to make the Deity famous rather than himself personally. Those that would elevate him to Visnu-tattva only end up undermining everything he stood for. No doubt he would not find that at all acceptable.

<font color=blue>George Harrison</font> will be one of the most influential people in the near future, according to a report released by a world leading advertising firm. My Sweet Lord!

GEORGE HARRISON: His work, art, and passion for causes influenced at least one generation. His death will influence people as well - prompting Boomers to re-evaluate their own lives and accomplishments.

http://biz./prnews/011221/nyth094_1.html

Listen to My Sweet Lord while you read (Real Audio format)<font color="#f7f7f7">

[This message has been edited by gHari (edited 12-22-2001).]

I dont know if anyone is interested but I really feel something needs to be done about this and I don't have it in me. This Hindu lady, whom I think use to run around the AOL hindu message boards criticizing Hare Krishna's, saying Prabhupada is ordinary man, etc., is now taking this opportunity of GHs passing and the attention it gets us, to put us down. Please, someone at least take a look. Her sn is Indrani. I know some may say let it slide, but she does this big time, and it effects many readers who think she knows what shes talking about. (AND these ARE message boards for people to talk about GEORGE and what HE was into. - Sorry about the caps, not screaming, just emphasizing.)

http://www.beliefnet.com/boards/message_list.asp?boardID=388&discussionID=9966

[This message has been edited by Keeshori (edited 12-23-2001).]

Update (12/27/01) The Henley Standard, George's hometown paper, reports that the town will plant a circle of trees in Gillott's Field as a memorial to George. Any thoughts of doing something more, though, seemed to be diverted by local politicians. Cllr. Ken Arlett, said “There is a big enough memorial in Liverpool to him. Chairman Cllr. John Howard added: “He was a recluse and never let anyone have access to the gardens of Friar Park which used to be open to the public. We don’t really want to sting the people of Henley further. The ring of trees with a memorial in the centre will be enough.”

Hey, jij, thanks much for your work here. I had a great time the other night watching yellow submarine with my 2 year old daughter. Ringo introduced george to the movie, and it showed him "otherworldly" indeed, to the great tune of my fave "Inner Light".

The movie is repleat with my other faves, "Its only a Northern Song" and "Its all too Much".

That real old one I was trying to think of was "She Likes Me too Much". John and Paul shoulda elected him group leader, for he was the whole show, he was "ALL TOO MUCH".

haribol, ys, mahaksadasa

ps, my wife has a gretch just like that un. Im tryin to find pic with him and his Ibanez Artist. But try rentin' "The Concert for Bangladesha". Kinda like the Travellin Wilbury's album on e-bay, startin at $150.

Oh well, it is only a Northern song.

Originally posted by mahak:

Hey, jij, thanks much for your work here. I had a great time the other night watching yellow submarine with my 2 year old daughter. Ringo introduced george to the movie, and it showed him "otherworldly" indeed, to the great tune of my fave "Inner Light".

The movie is repleat with my other faves, "Its only a Northern Song" and "Its all too Much".

That real old one I was trying to think of was "She Likes Me too Much". John and Paul shoulda elected him group leader, for he was the whole show, he was "ALL TOO MUCH".

haribol, ys, mahaksadasa

ps, my wife has a gretch just like that un. Im tryin to find pic with him and his Ibanez Artist. But try rentin' "The Concert for Bangladesha". Kinda like the Travellin Wilbury's album on e-bay, startin at $150.

Oh well, it is only a Northern song.

Cool doings my friend....

It Is He......

Jai Sri Krishna

jijaji

REMEMBERING GEORGE HARRISON:

FULL OF LOVE AND FUN

by Ravi Shankar

COLUMN SIXTY-SEVEN, JANUARY 1, 2002

( 2002 Al Aronowitz)

[We found the following, from the Associated Press, in a newspaper and couldn't resist stealing it. We hope that neither the Associated Press nor Ravi will mind its appearance here. The Indian sitar virtuoso, whom we consider an old friend, is completing his last full-scale concert tour.]

ENCINITAS, Calif. -- I feel I have been cheated by George. Why did he have to go so soon at such a young age when I really wanted to go first?

In moments like this, it is so hard to express the feeling of emptiness and sadness within. Like a film flashing by, everything comes to my mind since I met him more than 30 years ago. His childlike quality, his shy but naughty little smile, his passion for all the music he loved and the serious quest for religion, particularly the old Vedic Hindu tradition, always amazed me as well as attracted me.

The down-to-earth quality in George was something I could relate to with such joy. He would crack up when I told him all my jokes; we had such fun! We always competed with each other in punning. When I told him that I was known as a "pundit" because of my punning, he said something hilarious, connecting the old Hindu scriptures of the four Vedas (Rigveda, Samveda, Atharvaveda and Yajurveda). He said: "Do you know the four Wether brothers? They are Ric, Sam, Arthur and George Wethers."

The only solid lessons on sitar he had from me were in the summer and autumn of 1966, which he couldn't pursue as much as we both wanted. He was very talented and would have become a great sitar player if only he could have given some time. His love, knowledge and understanding of Indian music developed immensely over the years. I gave him a copy of the book "Autobiography of a Yogi" by Swami Yogananda, and my brother, Rajendra, gave him a book by Swami Vivekananda. He had such thirst for the knowledge and wisdom of Indian traditions. In many ways he was more Indian than many Indians.

Though I had been performing all over the world since 1954, my association with George attracted a whole young generation to sitar and to me from the mid-1960s. Even though I didn't make any records jamming with him or any other pop or rock star, I was treated like a superstar, being the Beatle George's guru. Then came Monterey, Woodstock and finally the big Bangladesh concert, which he totally handled in producing. Because of George we had Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, Leon Russell and other eminent musicians.

After a year or so, when he spent time with me in Varanasi at my house, he suggested we make a couple of records and perhaps tour the United States. We did the first recording in the A&M Studios for his Dark Horse label. It was then that he met dear Olivia (whom he married in 1978). In the summer of 1974 the second album was recorded ("Festival of India") at his own studio. I'll never forget those couple of months when we worked on this album. I did all the compositions on the M4 while traveling from London to his home in Henley. George created such an atmosphere with such love and regard. We would start rehearsals in a beautiful large hall with a view to his lovely garden. We would have Indian food and snack between rehearsals.

The recording was finished with simultaneous editing, which George was doing himself, always asking me to hear when he was satisfied. After this period of creative joy we went to tour the United States, giving more than 30 performances. George had a special 737 Boeing jetliner completely refurbished for us to travel in.

What touched me so much was his worry about my health and well being. He would tell me always not to travel and exert myself so much. Then from the role of disciple and friend he became more of a son to me, especially after my own son Shubho died in 1992. He would fly and be with me whenever I was in the hospital or not well with my heart problems. His love and concern touched me deeply.

I'll never forget how much love, care and time he gave to another project he did for me while staying in our house here in Encinitas. He went through all the details, right from choosing all the artwork, to writing the notes, to producing the four-CD boxed set "In Celebration," selections from my 40 years of sitar performances and compositions. The last wonderful musical experience I had with him was when we made the CD "Chants of India." We did some songs in Madras and the major part at his own studio in his mansion at Henley. His nearness and attention in producing the record always inspired me so. Even the complex compositions came out of me so spontaneously.

Another one of many funny incidents was when George, Olivia and their son, Dhani, came to India in 1995 and spent a few weeks. We went to Jaipur, Jodhpur and Udaipur. In Bombay, Delhi and Calcutta people recognized George and created a stampede, which George hated. But we had no such problem in Rajasthan and he enjoyed it so much. On our last stop, Udaipur, while we were walking in the busy main streets shopping ornaments of silver, colourful materials, dresses, turbans, having tea and snacks all of a sudden there was a big crowd which surrounded us. I was terrified thinking they had recognized George, but it was actually me they were after. Then the funniest thing happened. George, realizing the situation, immediately became my bodyguard. "Move, move. No, no. Don't bother Panditji." And cordoning me with both his hands, he brought me to our waiting car and saved me from those autograph hunters. The others were already seated, and when the car started, we burst out laughing.

My daughter Anoushka and my wife, Sukanya, also were so attached to him. He had a beautiful and loving wife in Olivia and a wonderful son in Dhani. He had a magnanimous heart and always cared so much. He was a fearless and beautiful soul always conscious of God. I loved him dearly. Though he is gone physically, he will always be alive and vibrant in my heart.

[This message has been edited by jijaji (edited 12-29-2001).]

Originally posted by Gauracandra:

By the way, thanks for keeping us informed on all of these reports Jijaji. Its especially nice reading of various honorings of George Harrison.

Gauracandra

thank you...also thank gHari for all his incredible postings and updates on George's passing!

jijaji