IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
gHari

George Has Left

Rate this topic

Driving alone across Canada I became addicted to singing the new hit My Sweet Lord, searching the AM bands night and day to keep singing. I was imagining that God was in the passenger seat, tears flowing down my face. "Really want to see you Lord". I likely unknowingly got in my first few rounds during that six day trek.

Later in 1974 I had been reading a seekers' book (George even wrote a song about it later) called "REMEMBER BE HERE NOW". It recommended 'hanging out' with a book called the Bhagavad-gita from India. By this time I was quite infatuated with Lord Rama, so I decided I would try to find this Gita book.

I had tickets for the Harrison concert two days later in Toronto and as I approached the concert doors, Krsna sent one of His servant's servants' servants to present me with a Bhagavad-gita As It Is.

"I would like to give you this book", Krsna Katha das said. It was sankirtana at its finest.

I couldn't take my eyes off of George, slappin'n'tappin' all night long. He was larger than life, and everything else was lifeless by comparison. He kept looking towards me, but I guess it was the Gita he was attracted to.<font size=-3><font color="#dedfdf">

[This message has been edited by gHari (edited 12-05-2001).]

Originally posted by livingentity:

Can we please not resort to arguments - at least on this thread?

[This message has been edited by livingentity (edited 12-04-2001).]

I second the motion to please refrain from all Bickering on this thread that gHari started in the mood of a tribute to George.

Many will not understand why I am so moved by his death. Well I'll put it to you this way..I grew up with the Beatles. I literally had the Beatles albums on usually the day they were released at my local record store as a kid.

To make along story short. It was George who lead me to the spiritual path. I feel he was like my adi-guru in many ways...and others feel that as well. So no bickering please on this memorial thread to George Harrison that is keeping us informed of events surrounding the death of this very great soul.

thank you

Please forgive me for placing my post as a direct reply to your post. I should have placed this on it's own as I was making a general request not picking you out personally. I am sorry.

Originally posted by gopal:

So sorry mataji. But I felt it important to deal out a little advice before it got even more uncivil. George's greatness was his humility. And I believe he would appreciate devotees not being offended and instead being glorified. I get heated when I hear devotees casually assaulted or insulted. But that is all I will say on this, I promise you. All glories to Bhakta George!

No your admonishment was good. It was probably as tasteless of me to comment as it was for Stonehearted to interrupt the eulogies as it was for gHari to speak as he did to Stonehearted. Great posts this morning, good points from jijai too. Let's keep it up, any chance to glorify a wonderful devotee on his passing is a chance to grab at.

Secrecy shrouds Harrison's last rites

By Sharat Pradhan

VARANASI, India (Reuters) - Mystery surrounds the last rites for Beatles' guitarist George Harrison as Hare Krishna officials remain tight-lipped about plans to immerse the musician's ashes in India's sacred Ganges river.

Harrison, a long-time devotee of the Hindu sect, was closely attached to the holy city of Varanasi where the immersion of the ashes was expected to take place in a ritual symbolising the journey of his soul towards eternal consciousness.

Harrison, known as the "Quiet Beatle", died last week in Los Angeles at the age of 58 after battling cancer. He was cremated in a cardboard coffin hours after his death, in keeping with his adopted Eastern faith.

"All I do know is that devotees of the Hare Krishna movement are with the family (to guide them in the rituals)," Varshani Devi Dasi, a Hare Krishna official, told Reuters by telephone from London. "They (the family) are choosing to be private,"

In Varanasi, a Hare Krishna official who had told reporters that the musician's widow, Olivia, and son, Dhani, 24, were due to visit Varanasi and that the immersion ceremony would take place at dawn on Tuesday said later he was misinformed.

Government officials in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh said the rites for the youngest of the Beatles quartet who revolutionised pop music in the 1960s might already have taken place.

"All I can presume is perhaps they wanted it to be a private affair so they might have already come and gone without informing anyone," state Home Secretary Naresh Dayal told Reuters.

Varanasi has at least 80 "ghats" or steps leading down an embankment to the Ganges where the devout take sin-cleansing dips, make sacred offerings, cremate bodies and immerse the ashes.

Relatives normally sprinkle the ashes on the river's surface before lowering the urn containing them gently into the water.

IMMERSED TWICE?

In New Delhi, a Hare Krishna spokesman said he expected some of Harrison's ashes to be immersed at Varanasi and possibly also at Allahabad, 130 km (80 miles) upriver where the holy Yamuna joins the Ganges. But he had no other information.

Photographers and reporters, who thronged the busy tourist town hoping to catch a glimpse of the ceremony were joined by a handful of eager foreign tourists.

"Once I read the news in the papers (about Harrison's ashes), I thought I must take a look," said London tourist Tony Roche.

Thomas Neville from Ireland who had his head shaved in a traditional Hindu gesture of mourning for Harrison said he was disappointed not to have seen any ceremony.

"Here I am, paying my last respects to the great singer."

Harrison, who became a vegetarian and believed in reincarnation, was a member of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness, also called the Hare Krishna movement.

He spent his last moments chanting "Hare Krishna" with his family next to him and pictures of the Hindu gods Rama and Krishna near his bed, British newspapers said.

Ananova :

Bono backs campaign to re-release George Harrison single

Bono is backing a campaign for George Harrison's My Sweet Lord to be re-released.

The Sun has launched the campaign and Bono says he thinks it's a brilliant idea.

My Sweet Lord first topped the charts in January 1971.

Bono told the paper: "Put me on top of the list of people backing you. It would be an apt send-off and the money should be given to charity."

Harrison's record label EMI is still considering whether to release the single, but a spokesman said "It's looking promising".

Story filed: 07:57 Wednesday 5th December 2001

George pledged a million dollars for new temple

George Harrison pledged around £700,000 to build a temple in a holy Indian city, claim Hare Krishna followers.

The revelation came as hundreds of fans continue to wait at the banks of the Ganges River in India waiting for his family to scatter his ashes.

Harrison's widow, Olivia, and their 23-year-old son, Dhani, are due to scatter the ashes into the holy river, according to Hare Krishna officials.

Harrison was a longtime devotee of Hinduism, whose followers believe that immersing ashes allows the soul to begin its approach toward heaven.

It was a dream for the late Beatle to build a temple in the heart of Varanasi that he loved for its mysticism and cultural riches, says Prasannatma Das, president of the Varanasi chapter of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness, ISKCON.

A few months ago Harrison visited Varanasi quietly and stayed for several days to discuss the temple plan.

"The model is ready. Work would start in May-June once we get the money," said Das. The Radha Krishna Chandra temple will be built on a plot of land spread over two acres in the next five years.

Wealthy supporters have helped ISKCON build dozens of beautiful temples across India. Their palatial structures and impressive architecture attract hundreds of visitors every day.

Meanwhile, Harrison's fans in Varanasi have been flying kites to pay tribute to him. They wrote messages on them: "Free as birds,Give peace a chance,We love you Harrison."

Hare Krishna followers and Beatles' fans still hoped they would get to see Harrison's family perform the last rites. But the city's administration or airport authorities had no clue about when the family would arrive.

Story filed: 18:01 Wednesday 5th December 2001

Originally posted by stonehearted:

I'm not particularly disturbed by folks like this Lederman fellow, or by what people think of George Harrison's spiritual life. He generally made a point of keeping these things pretty private. I'm somewhat amused by the frenzy I see by so many associated with Krishna consciousness to lay some sort of claim to this man and his identity. In fact, he resisted that during his life. Yes, he practiced Krishna consciousness to some degree over the last 30-odd years. He also liked to race cars, smoke cigarettes, and other things we may be less than excited about acknowledging. Yes, he supported some Krishna conscious projects, but he also supported many other activities, such as helping those suffering in war-torn Bangladesh and raising money for the Natural Law Party.

At the end of his life, he took shelter of the holy name of Krishna and the association of old friends, among whom are some of our Godbrothers. That's a wonderful thing, perhapsw evidence, as some have speculated, that he was a kripa-siddha. The fact that he did so in a very private way should indicate to us how we should deal with it ourselves.

It's natural that those who felt their lives touched by his music and his association with Krishna consciousness express their sadness that he's no longer among us. But let's get a grip on ourselves and resist the tendency so prevalent in our culture to get carried away by celebrity.

I apologize if this offends anyone.

I see nothing offensive in this

1. statements of feelings

2. observations

3. statements of fact

other than the insinuation that some unspecified others are laying

"some sort of claim to [George] and his identity"

which has the potential to offend some who identify with it.

All I can say is

"If the cap fits, wear it."

[This message has been edited by talasiga (edited 12-05-2001).]

From http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/news/709georgenewcancer.html

(12/5/01) Here are the statements given by the Lord Mayor of Liverpool, Councillor Gerry Scott, at the candlelight vigil held in memory of George Harrison at St. George's Hall, Liverpool, on Monday:

"Tonight we are gathered here in memory of George Harrison, a true son of Liverpool, whose music reached out to the whole world and shaped a generation. George was a truly gifted musician. But he was much more than that. His ideals and his love of peace inspired countless thousands. His loss will be deeply felt but his vision will live on.

When George wrote the words for "My Sweet Lord" you get the feeling that it was more than a song - it was a genuine prayer. George was a person who seemed to have achieved his own inner peace and I'm sure, if he was able to ask for a lasting memorial it would be for everyone to pray for lasting peace for the whole world. Tonight's tribute has been spritual and moving - in keeping with the spirit of the man. It has been very simple, for George was never one for pomp and circumstance.

Earlier on I was joined by the children from George's former school, Dovedale Primary, in planting a sturdy English oak in the grounds of the Peace Garden in St John's Garden behind us here. As it grows over the years it's branches will reach out towards the tree we planted last year in memory of John Lennon.

The city of Liverpool has lost two of its brightest stars - but we shall forever be grateful for the music and the memories which The Beatles gave us.

I will shortly ask you to take part in a minute's silence and meditation. After that there will be an opportunity to sign the books of condolences which are in St George's Hall. Now if we can all join together in a minute's silence."

Also, here is the statement from Councillor Gerry Scott, Lord Mayor of Liverpool, before the planting of a 'tree of life' in the city's Peace Garden, behind St George's Hall, Liverpool. The tree was planted by children from George Harrison's old school - Dovedale Junior School:

Firstly, I would like to thank the pupils from George Harrison's former school, Dovedale Primary for joining us here tonight. They are here today to help us plant this English Oak tree in memory of George and it is very appropriate that we should do so. George had an interest in horticulture and gardening. He made a significant donation to the Palm House in Sefton Park, for example.

And it is appropriate that we should plant this tree near to one that was planted in memory of John Lennon. It is, perhaps, not too fanciful to think that over the years their branches might reach out towards each other.

And George's tree is also between an Indian bean tree and the Tree of Heaven - given George's interest in India and spiritual matters I am sure you would agree that this is a very fine place for a permanent memorial to him. And as it grows over the years our memories of George will live on. So, it is in memory of George Harrison that we now dedicate this tree to him.

Apparently I've missed something here. It looks as though my remarks really peeved someone (livinggentity?), and they posted (and later removed?) some heated remarks in respnse. But let me clarify my earlier remarks.

I never intended to interrupt the flow of eulogy on this thread. I believe I'm as moved by George's passing as anyone who wasn't close to him. The Beatles were a central thread in my late adolescence (I may be a little older than some here). I celebrated Sergeant Pepper as joyously as anyone, and was moved to my core by both versions of "Revolution." Some years later, ina creative writing class on Maui, I was a short film called "Condensed Cream of Beatles." the film took me on a 1-minute trip through adolescence up to the point of making a commitment to Krishna consciousness, which I saw as the real revolution, at the end of 1969 and beginning of 1970. It was a wonderful experience that actually renewed my commitment. After I had lived in the temple for some months, the Radha Krishna Temple album came out, and then Krishna book. We all thought it was very cool that George was into Krishna consciousness, but he wasn't the reason any of us were there then. When we did radio shows in 1970-73, we used a lot of George's music from "All Things Must Pass" quite regularly. And I still like most of his stuff, partly because it's good and partly because he's a devotee. So I feel the loss also.

What I found odd was the outrage at the stupidity of people who are reluctant to acknowledge his close association with Krishna consciousness, or who try to downplay it. Look, they're fools, and George was committed and humble. And yes, he is Krishna's. But he didn't belong to "us." He wasn't our property. A friend of mine told of meeting him briefly while distributing books at a concert. On seeing Harrison, this devotee said, "Oh, George, is it true you don't like Krishna anymore?"

He replied, "No, I still like Krishna just fine. But I'm not happy that every 19-year-old with a bald head thinks he owns me."

No one can change or credibly deny the wonderful preaching George did in his own low-key way. He is undoubtedly a recipient of Srila Prabhupada's mercy, which he appreciated as well as many of us.

Still, the fact remains that almost all of us had no personal relationship with him in the sense that Syamasundar, Mukunda Maharaj, and Gurudas did. Our admiration is largely due to his celebrity as well as his great talent and devotion. If anyone takes exception to such observations, I can accept only my share of the responsibility.

If anyone wants to complain further about my remarks or discuss them, feel free to do so privately at williamr@hawaii.edu. That would preserve the civility of this thread and minimize my natural wet-blanket tendency.

Babhru das

Times of India

Harrison leaves 20m pounds to Hare Krishnas

LONDON: Beatle George Harrison's estimated 214-million-pound ($304 million) estate will be divided between his nearest family and the Hare Krishna faith he embraced in the late 1960s, the British press said on Tuesday.

According to reports from New York, quoted in the Daily Telegraph, Harrison's will called for the bulk of his estate to be left to his wife, Olivia, and their 24-year-old son Dhani.

Both were on their way to the Indian city of Varanisi to scatter some of the former-Beatle's ashes on the river Ganges.

The Times said that Harrison left instructions for 10 percent of his wealth, some 20 million pounds to be distributed to the Hare Krishnas, whom he supported spiritually and financially for more than 30 years.

The money is expected to be distributed by the International Society for Krishna Consciousness to temples across the world, the Times said.

The sect will receive a proportion of future earnings from Harrison's music, the paper added.

Relatives of the Beatles' lead guitarist called for a minute of meditation on Monday to mark his death last week from cancer.

Saying they were "deeply touched" by the global outpouring of love and compassion following his death, Olivia and Dhani Harrison urged fans to pay silent tribute to the legendary musician, who died on Thursday at the age of 58.

( AFP )

From Ananova:

George Harrison 'tribute' line left in Tom Cruise's new film

Tom Cruise's character pays tribute to George Harrison in his new movie.

The scene for Vanilla Sky was shot months before the death of the former Beatle.

But director Cameron Crowe decided to leave the line in the film because it is now "more meaningful."

The first preview screenings of the film took place on November 30, the day the news of Harrison's death was announced.

In the film, Cruise's character, David, discusses The Beatles, and reveals that Harrison was his favourite member.

Crowe admitted that he thought about removing the line, but decided to leave it in as a tribute to Harrison.

He said: "We were both so sad. Tom and I kept saying 'Can you believe he's dead?'

"We decided it would be too late to change the line, it's almost more meaningful now."

Vanilla Sky opens in the UK on January 25.

Story filed: 12:38 Wednesday 5th December 2001

It is easy to understand the "outrage" against those who deny George's true self - for that is an indirect insult to Sri Krsna. It usually reveals the heart of the person and their antagonistic attitude towards Krsna.

As George wrote on the Extra Texture album: OHNONOTHIMAGAIN. The Archie Bunkers say, "I like his tunes, but not him or his religion - just play some Beatle tunes will ya - yah yah yah".

Believe me, out in the world one learns to keep his devotion private, but I won't get into the sad reasons here. His bravery and generosity in this area was one of George's most glorious qualities.

Hare Krishna, to keep it straight for Stonehearted, your post was not offensive and I apolgise for insinuating such by saying it was perhaps tasteless. Before that, I had stated that you made good points and that gHari's insults toward you were not befitting him, as you are a Vaisnava and his elder both. As a result, his offensive post has been changed. Living entity had nothing to do with it as far as I could tell, as far as taking offense to your post, but merely objected to a general air threatening to maybe sully the thread. For the record, your balanced view is most welcome, at least by me. It makes your eulogies seem all the more genuine, and not some displaced sentiment. I will change this post once it's been seen by you. But I do not consider it incongruous on this thread to deal with matters of respectfulness among devotees; that is crucial to anyone making advancement, and it is never inappropriate to take a younger devotee to task when the need calls for it. Its our duty.

I too welcome Stonehearted's comments. (The snide remarks being made about his character simply lend an acid flavor to this otherwise wonderful thread. No devotee likes to see another devotee insulted.)

gHari's story about the drive across Canada and the Gita triggered off a whirlpool of memories for me. I forgot that I saw the Beatles in concert at the Cow Palace. I had a crush on Paul but that changed in midteens as George's mystical side became apparent. No crush, but a deeper appreciation than some young girl mania. I did my first painting, an oil painting, of George in my high school art class, and didn't paint again for decades. But one memory as a devotee is, I just remembered today that I once decorated a big rectangular birthday cake for George, guess he was in his late thirties at the time. A devotee who was his friend, and going to visit him, asked me to do this. It was painted with colored icings. It had the Manor in the middle, and on either side, on the grass behind the Manor, stood a devotee in a sari with a beadbag, and a devotee in a hoti with a beadbag. In the sky was a banner that used the same H and B to say Hari Bol Happy Birthday George. I used to have a picture of it but lost it in some move. Anyway, I was wondering how he liked it and then about three weeks later I ran into a guest at the Manor, who was a friend of George's, who had been at his home a couple of days earlier. He had seen the cake in the foyer. He said George liked it so much he didn't want to cut it. It was fruitcake, made by one of our expert temple bakers at that time, so if they did eventually eat it, it still would have been good. It's a little story, but these little things often say a lot about a person. I remember it giving me a very pleasant perspective on George's attitude toward the devotees, and how little things, like that affectionate little thank you of a cake, meant so much to him, who seemingly had so much.

Just now I remembered a time when he was coming to the Manor and "they" (you know, the infamous "them") made all the devotees disperse first. But first there was an emergency. I had to fix one of the gargoyle faces on the mantel piece in the prasadam room in a matter of say fifteen or so minutes. I had to build up the nose, patch a couple of other things, then mix paint until it looked old and greenish stone like the rest. They wanted to show George that they were taking good care of the Manor (which really they were, over all). I can say this story in public now, with George having left.

As far as hustling devotees out of the way, it was way different years later when he arrived at the Manor for the Prabhupada Reunion Festival. Perhaps there was sufficient maturity by then. The devotees were already seated outside on the grass in the big tent/pandal, listening to stories by Gurudas, Mondakini, and many other old London temple devotees, and George just walked in casually in jeans, and sat down on the ground with everyone else. There was hardly a whimper at his arrival, devotees were so enthralled with the stories about Srila Prabhupada, and I was so glad that he was treated as simply another devotee like that.

Seems like my main devotee memories of George have to do with somehow serving him, but I have always loved serving the devotees, "big" and "small". A few months ago I gave Gurudas laminated prints of some of my paintings to give George. More recently, I sent a large handmade card that many devotees wrote their encouragements and appreciations in for George. It was really sweet, and natural. I was moved at all the devotees' expressions and descriptions of how George particularly helped them in their own spiritual journeys. This is the best exchange devotees can have with one another. Mutual inspiration and appreication. This is being siksa to each other. I hope to find out how he received the card when Gurudas gets back.

Well, this was a bit rambling, but maybe someone finds some nectar in it.

ys, Jayaradhe

Dear Stonehearted, You are mistaken as I never responded to anything you wrote on this thread nor did make any heated remarks that were removed. Nothing you said "peeved" me as you say. I had only made a general request that this thread attempt to remain argument free.

Originally posted by stonehearted:

Apparently I've missed something here. It looks as though my remarks really peeved someone (livinggentity?), and they posted (and later removed?) some heated remarks in respnse. But let me clarify my earlier remarks.

I never intended to interrupt the flow of eulogy on this thread. I believe I'm as moved by George's passing as anyone who wasn't close to him. The Beatles were a central thread in my late adolescence (I may be a little older than some here). I celebrated Sergeant Pepper as joyously as anyone, and was moved to my core by both versions of "Revolution." Some years later, ina creative writing class on Maui, I was a short film called "Condensed Cream of Beatles." the film took me on a 1-minute trip through adolescence up to the point of making a commitment to Krishna consciousness, which I saw as the real revolution, at the end of 1969 and beginning of 1970. It was a wonderful experience that actually renewed my commitment. After I had lived in the temple for some months, the Radha Krishna Temple album came out, and then Krishna book. We all thought it was very cool that George was into Krishna consciousness, but he wasn't the reason any of us were there then. When we did radio shows in 1970-73, we used a lot of George's music from "All Things Must Pass" quite regularly. And I still like most of his stuff, partly because it's good and partly because he's a devotee. So I feel the loss also.

What I found odd was the outrage at the stupidity of people who are reluctant to acknowledge his close association with Krishna consciousness, or who try to downplay it. Look, they're fools, and George was committed and humble. And yes, he is Krishna's. But he didn't belong to "us." He wasn't our property. A friend of mine told of meeting him briefly while distributing books at a concert. On seeing Harrison, this devotee said, "Oh, George, is it true you don't like Krishna anymore?"

He replied, "No, I still like Krishna just fine. But I'm not happy that every 19-year-old with a bald head thinks he owns me."

No one can change or credibly deny the wonderful preaching George did in his own low-key way. He is undoubtedly a recipient of Srila Prabhupada's mercy, which he appreciated as well as many of us.

Still, the fact remains that almost all of us had no personal relationship with him in the sense that Syamasundar, Mukunda Maharaj, and Gurudas did. Our admiration is largely due to his celebrity as well as his great talent and devotion. If anyone takes exception to such observations, I can accept only my share of the responsibility.

If anyone wants to complain further about my remarks or discuss them, feel free to do so privately at williamr@hawaii.edu. That would preserve the civility of this thread and minimize my natural wet-blanket tendency.

Babhru das

His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada glorifies his devotee, Sriman George Harrison:

He is attracted by our Sankirtana Party and if Mr. George Harrison takes the leading part in organizing a huge Sankirtana Party consisting of the Beatles and our Iskcon Boys surely we shall change the face of the world so much politically harassed by the maneuvers of the politicians. The people in general are in need of such movement.

I am so glad that Mr. Harrison is composing songs like "Lord which we so long ignored". He is very thoughtful. When we actually meet, I shall be able to give him thoughts about separation from Krishna, and they will be able to compose very attractive songs for public receptions. The public is in need of such songs, and if they are administered through nice agents like the Beatles, it will surely be a great success.

Regarding the record you recorded with Mr. Harrison, it is very much encouraging because a record issued by the Beatles will have immediate great market, and we want only that this Hare Krishna chanting is participated in by many millions of people.

Regarding your recording of Nama Om and Hare Krishna, it is very, very good and everyone says that it is technically all-perfect. So your endeavor to induce the Beatles to cooperate with us is successful to a greater extent. Now when I shall go to London I shall carry with me various other recordings sung by me, and if these recordings can be attuned in the same technical perfection, then under my direction we can produce at least one dozen Hare Krishna recordings in varieties of tunes. I am sure people will like them very much when they are presented through Mr. George Harrison and his company. I am very glad to learn that Mr. George Harrison was playing on harmonium and guitar; Digvijaya and Gurudasa were playing karatalas; Yamuna and Malati were singing; and you were playing dilruba. Kulasekhara is so nice khole player I thought it was being played by Mukunda. Why do I not find the name of Mukunda?

Our, the George Harrison, the famous Beatle, he is supplying beads and bags to his friends: "Chant Hare KRSNa." And he has written in his record that "Anyone who is friend of KRSNa, I am his friend."

The Hare Krishna record is selling very nicely. Yesterday, it sold 5,000 copies, and this week it is on the chronological list as #20. They say next week it will come to be #3, and after that it may come to #1. So they are very much hopeful of this record. Mr. George Harrison appears to be very intelligent boy, and he is by the Grace of Krishna fortunate also.

In London, however, we get some income by sales of "Hare Krishna Mantra" record and similarly in the U.S.A. we get some income by selling "Govinda" records and other similar records. From London the "Hare Krishna Mantra" record has worldwide sales. This is managed by Mr. George Harrison, the famous English musician, who is my uninitiated devotee.

Devotee (5): Just like in the KRSNa book it says anyone who reads this, he will become a devotee.

PrabhupAda: Yes, that's a fact. Anyone who reads that book, he will become VaiSNava.

Devotee (5): And a year ago in a mall in Pittsburg, because I stay at the Pittsburg temple, I gave a big KRSNa book to a...

PrabhupAda: George has become?

TripurAri: Pardon?

PrabhupAda: George, George Harrison.

TripurAri: George Harrison?

PrabhupAda: He has become a devotee of KRSNa.

TripurAri: He has?

Devotee (1): He's living in the temple?

PrabhupAda: No. He, not temple, but he chants always. He is keeping one JagannAtha within the bead. He showed me: that "I have put..." He saw me in VRndAvana.

PrabhupAda: That record which was done by George Harrison?

Carol: Yes. It's very rare to find music like that here.

PrabhupAda: George Harrison has contributed many. He gave me first of all nineteen thousand dollars for printing KRSNa book. Now he has purchased one house in London, and we are using that. It is two hundred thousand pounds. Yes, he is a good boy, good soul.

Carol: You don't have a group in Perth, do you?

PrabhupAda: He is also chanting Hare KRSNa. Yes. He chants all day Hare KRSNa. He has made some record, "KRSNa."

Amogha: "My dear Lord, I really want to see You." Something like that.

PrabhupAda: Like that, yes. "KRSNa" he has said.

SrutakIrti: Yes. His latest album, "KRSNa Where Are You?"

Amogha: Oh, I haven't seen it.

PrabhupAda: And in the record album he has given this picture.

George Harrison: When my mother died I had to send my sister and father out of the room, because they were getting emotional, and I just chanted Hare KRSNa.

PrabhupAda: She chanted.

George Harrison: I did.

PrabhupAda: Oh, very nice, so she could hear?

George Harrison: I don't know, I don't know, she was in like a coma or something. It was the only thing I could think of.

PrabhupAda: When it happened?

George Harrison: In 1970. It was the only thing I could think of that may be of value, you know.

PrabhupAda: Anyway, if she has heard Hare KRSNa, she'll get the benefit. Either she chants or somebody chanting, if she hears, zravaNaM kIrtanam, both the same thing. Little chance. Svalpam apy asya dharmasya trAyate mahato bhayAt. So let us practice in such a way that at the time of death we may remember. That is success. TyaktvA dehaM punar janma naiti mAm eti kaunteya [bg. 4.9]. So you are reading KRSNa repeatedly? KRSNa book you are reading repeatedly?

George Harrison: Well, you know, I read it every so often. I always take the GItA with me wherever I go. I mean that's the one I just keep all the time. But you know, I'll just sometimes read a little of something, a little bit of something else. I've never been a great reader.

PrabhupAda: (laughs) No, you have got chance here to think soberly. But on account of your chanting "KRSNa" so many people are chanting.

George Harrison: I don't think it's on my account.

PrabhupAda: No, they say "George chants Hare KRSNa." They say. Do they not?

Mukunda: Yes.

PrabhupAda: And you have got many thousands followers.

George Harrison: It's nice, but I think we all...

PrabhupAda: Anyway, you go on chanting. That will influence. There is a poetry written by, I think in the Caitanya-caritAmRta. Rupa GosvAmI is wondering, "I do not know what sweetness there is in these two words, KRS-Na."

GurudAsa: The verse starts with priya, "dear."

PrabhupAda: Varna-dvayI. You remember this verse? No jane, "What kind of nectar it is there in these two words, KRS-Na?"

Regarding George Harrison, I am sure he will improve now in Krishna Consciousness. Krishna Consciousness is developed only by service. So he has very willingly and gladly served Krishna in many ways. The recent "Govinda" record, which your good wife has sung along with you, is certainly super-excellent, and it has become so nice because of George's attention upon it. So whenever this nice boy comes to our Temple, please receive him very nicely. Give him Prasadam and if possible talk with him about Krishna, and thus he will advance more and more in Krishna Consciousness.

When I remember all of you in London, as well as George Harrison, I become very happy because the combination is very much hopeful. I am so glad to learn that George has said, "I don't want to make nonsense records any more." This version of George I consider very valuable. His popularity and his great talent can be very nicely utilized by producing such nice records as "Govinda," instead of producing something nonsense. In our Vaisnava literature there are hundreds and thousands of nice purportful songs, and if those songs, under George's supervision, are recorded, I think it will bring a great revolution in the record making business.

So when he says that he does not wish to produce nonsense this does not mean that he has to close his business. On the other hand, he will get greater opportunity for producing finest transcendental records which are still unknown to the world. When you meet him again, you can talk with him what I am speaking to you in this letter. My special thanks are due to your good wife, Srimati Yamuna devi. Her singing songs of Krishna Consciousness, and Krishna will certainly bless her and you all.

But one thing is, our experience is that such big men will not help us -- except if there is some rare soul like Mr. George Harrison, and they must be guided also by our personally contacting them again and again and slowly build-up the relationship. We are more interested that the mass of men shall support us -- what good a handful of high-class supporters will do? Just like in your country, there was election, and the opponent of Mr. Nixon, he was supported by all high-class men, but because Mr. Nixon had help of the common men he was successful and won the fight. But, if even one such high-class man becomes preacher on our behalf, if he actually becomes converted to Krishna Consciousness preaching work, then that is the best contribution of your preaching also. Just like George, now he is practically converted and he is only preaching about Krishna, and he has done that from the beginning--I think you knew him in London also, so you know how he is helping us push on the preaching--so that type of big personality, if you can catch one or two such men for preaching contribution, oh, that will be wonderful achievement for you. We want that the mass shall support us, but we want that the class shall preach for us, that is the distinction. Is it clear? Please inform me from time to time how that programme, of inducing influential men to preach somehow or other our Krishna philosophy is progressing. I know that you have got good ability to do that work, I remember how you used to bring so many big men to see me in London, at that John Lennon's house. So if you sincerely desire to serve Him in that way, Krishna will give you every opportunity and intelligence how to seize it up, that He says:

tesam satata-yuktanam

bhajatam priti-purvakam

dadami buddhi-yogam tam

yena mam upayanti te

[bg. 10.10]

Srila Prabhupada,

You and George are about to "change the face of the world" again. That wonderful song My Sweet Lord will be re-released as soon as the Harrison family gives its formal permission:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,4-2001561206,00.html

A new generation of devotees is about to be born. The future is now assured. All glories to Srila Prabhupada and my sweet George - the only song-writing duo to eclipse Lennon and McCartney!

This kirtan's for you, Srila Prabhupada, from your very grateful Sriman George.

Sometimes we rely on our material vision to judge that which is immeasurable. We mistakenly measure the eternal devotional service a soul has rendered against some material activities which he had temporarily done. Thus we come to conclusions like, "Oh, he may have done devotional service, but look he smoked!" Such views are due to a failure to see the distinction between spiritual merit and material pious and impious activites.

Then we take our misconceptions one step further, and conclude, "He may have been chanting Hare Krishna at the time of death, but at different times in his life he smoked. Whats so great about him?"

The shastras warn us about looking for defects in the devotees of the Lord. One should not search for the source of a river (to see if it's origin is dirty) when the water is presently clean; and one should not look at the past activities of the Lord's devotees when they are engaging in devotional service at the present. This is the injunction of the smritis.

George Harrison chanted Hare Krishna with devotees in his last days. He was surrounded by the Lord's holy name at the time of death. He offered the fruits of his actions to the Lord without expecting results. Such a soul is very rare and is certainly great. Materialists will want to point out minor defects from the past, but that is only due to their envious nature. Devotees of the Lord offer all respects to others, without expecting any respect for themselves. This is the teaching of Sri Chaitanya.