IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
gHari

George Has Left

Rate this topic

Final Journey

'Quiet Beatle' Returns to India

The Associated Press

N E W D E L H I, India, Dec. 3 — The ashes of George Harrison, long a devotee of India's Hindu faith, were to be sprinkled in the holy Ganges River, religious authorities said.

Harrison's widow, Olivia, and his 23-year-old son, Dhani, would be accompanied by two Hare Krishna devotees who performed Hindu rites on Harrison's ashes with the family in London, said Maha Mantra Das, New Delhi spokesman for the International Society of Krishna Consciousness.

The ashes were scheduled to arrive in India on Monday and be scattered in the Ganges River in the northern city of Varnasi, Das said. The ashes would also be sprinkled off Allahabad, where Hindu's three holiest rivers — the Ganges, Yamuna and Saraswati — converge.

His widow asked fans for a minute of meditation as a tribute to the musician. Britain's Press Association reported that Harrison's family was to scatter his ashes in India to coincide with that minute, which would take place 3 a.m. Tuesday in India.

Das said that this was likely.

"Early morning is a very auspicious time for Hindus," he said.

'Surrounded by Love'

Harrison, 58, died of cancer in Los Angeles on Thursday.

Britain's Press Association reported that Harrison was cremated only hours after losing his long battle against cancer and that his widow and son left for India with his ashes.

Harrison, known as the "quiet Beatle," had a long, intensely intimate relationship with Indian mysticism and music.

In 1966, after the Beatles had ceased touring, Harrison came to India to study the sitar with Ravi Shankar. Shankar, whom Harrison helped make famous during the Beatles visits to India, was present during Harrison's final hours in California.

"We spent the day before with him, and even then he looked so peaceful, surrounded by love," Shankar said in a statement Friday.

In 1967, Harrison introduced the other Beatles to the teaching of the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, and all four took up transcendental meditation. Harrison and fellow Beatle John Lennon traveled to Rishikesh, a holy city in northern India on the Ganges River, to study with the Maharishi.

Harrison was the only one who remained a follower.

Harrison was also a devotee of India's Hare Krishna sect. In one of Harrison's most popular songs, "My Sweet Lord," the musician himself chants Hare Krishna.

Copyright 2001 The Associated Press.

[This message has been edited by livingentity (edited 12-03-2001).]

The last article suggests Tuesday as having the minute of meditation for George which conflicts with the first announcement of Monday.

I think Monday is correct, since Tuesday 3:00AM in India is Monday afternoon in America.

Originally posted by gHari:

The last article suggests Tuesday as having the minute of meditation for George which conflicts with the first announcement of Monday.

I think Monday is correct, since Tuesday 3:00AM in India is Monday afternoon in America.

Tuesday afternoon at 3:00 am in India is when the ashes are said to be scattered, which will be around 1:30 pacific time monday (today) I guess.

BTW, thanks for all the links gHari!

jijaji

[This message has been edited by jijaji (edited 12-03-2001).]

When I heard first that George had left I felt very sad. But then I took my Gita and looked up verses where Krishna states that all who are His devoted servants will come to Him. From this moment on I felt very serene and glad for George. And I still feel like that.

George Harrison sang "I really want to see you Lord." Now he is able to be constantly in his Presence.

Who is Mr. Gavin de Becker? Must be someone special.

Must be ethnically/externally from Netherlands or Belgium.

Unless a material planet's surface supports Commercial-free radio, internet, all bonafide vaiSNava sampradAyas + truly great personality types:

George Harrisons, Bob Dylans, Phil Ochs-s, Pete Seegers, Dick Gregorys, Ralph Naders, Gary Nulls, Stevie Wonders, Ravi Shankars, San Franciscos....

Its not at all worth habitating. Desert Storm. Wasteland.

Yesterday was a memorial service for him here at the temple with Gurudas and Shyamasundar presence and a video of Mukunda Goswami. Unfortunately I missed most of it because I was working but I'll try to get a report from a friend that was there all the time.

As far as I know George left listening to Srila Prabhupada's japa tape with Shyamasundar and Mukunda by his side in the auspicious month of Kartika. What else anybody wants in life?. The devotees sent mahaprasada to the family and devotees all that week that they were with him.

Where I work is always music playing and at leats every 2 days 'My Sweet Lord' is all over the place with me chanting at the top of my lungs and I always thought what a nice way of getting everybody purified.

Bhakta George Ki Jaya!!!!

The world will benefit spiritually from every George Harrison record, tape and CD they purchase.

George has left $30 million to ISKCON plus a portion of all future music sales:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow.asp?art_id=763101358

http://www.ananova.com/yournews/story/sm_464313.html

<font size=-3><font color="#dedfdf">

[This message has been edited by gHari (edited 12-04-2001).]

From Underground Media

In accordance with his wishes, George Harrison's ashes have been scattered on the River Ganges in India.

The Ganges is a holy place in Hindu religion and Harrison was a great follower of Hinduism.

George's wife Olivia and son Dhani flew back to London not long after the Beatle was cremated and before the media were altered to the death of the Beatle.

Two Hari Krishna's performed the service in London and then flew with the family to New Dehli for the scattering of the ashes. The private ceremony took place just before dawn this morning.

The exact location of the final resting place for Beatle George is off Allahabad where the Ganges and Yamuna Rivers converge.

Although originally born a Catholic, Harrison converted to Hinduism in 1966 at the height of The Beatles career. At this time he not only had a spiritual but also a musical awakening bringing a whole new dimension to the sound of The Beatles.

Harrison, under the teachings of Ravi Shankar, studied Eastern instruments and became a seasoned sitar player. He then introduced the sound to The Beatles. It first featured on Rubber Soul behind John Lennon's "Norwegian Wood" and continued into the Harrison composition "Love You Too" from Revolver and again on the Sgt Pepper album on "Within You Without You".

[This message has been edited by jijaji (edited 12-04-2001).]

He Was Fearless’ from NEWSWEEK

NEWSWEEK: What can you tell me about the treatment Harrison received at Staten Island University Hospital?

Dr. Gil Lederman: I can’t talk about treatment of patients. But I can talk about why we treat people, and why they come here from around the world.

NEWSWEEK:

Why do people come to you? Published reports stated that Harrison sought treatment with you after other more conventional methods failed him.

Dr. Gil Lederman:

Patients come here from around the world for radiosurgery. Radiosurgery is pinpoint radiation. We’re able to zero in the beams of radiation very precisely to just hit the cancer. And because we can do that, we can hit the cancer and not harm normal tissues, and we can boost the dose of treatment.

NEWSWEEK:

What’s the success rate with this type of radiosurgery?

Dr. Gil Lederman:

It’s about 90 percent. That doesn’t mean that 90 percent of the people are cured. It means 90 percent of the cancers we treat stop growing, shrink or disappear. For some people, the goal is to cure them. For others, the goal is to relieve pain and suffering ... Many patients from famous cancer centers come to us because they want to have better treatment and more sophisticated treatment. Or, the treatment at that cancer center didn’t work, and they wanted to have a second chance.

NEWSWEEK:

Your hospital advertises on 1010 WINS, New York’s all-news radio station. What do you like about the ads?

'The point of our ads,' says Lederman, 'is to educate patients that there are treatments available at our hospital that don't exist elsewhere'

Dr. Gil Lederman:

The ads used to have my voice, which I liked a lot more. I thought it was more personal. It conveyed a sense of who I am and why we do what we do. The point of our ads is to educate patients that there are treatments available at our hospital that don’t exist elsewhere. Many people are very angry that they weren’t offered other treatment options to begin with. We also have an 800 number, which is 1-800-285-4584.

NEWSWEEK:

Do you accept patients into your program based on how rare their condition is?

Dr. Gil Lederman:

No, we accept them based on whether we can help them.

NEWSWEEK:

You issued a statement that mentioned Harrison’s spirituality and love for his family. Obviously, you got to know him well. What can you tell us about Harrison on a personal level?

Dr. Gil Lederman:

He was a very warm, spiritual, intelligent and sensitive man. He was fearless. He was attacked and nearly killed two years ago. He grabbed the knife at the sharp end from the attacker’s hand.

NEWSWEEK:

How was Harrison facing his own death?

Dr. Gil Lederman:

He viewed death as a natural process of life. He believed that death is part of life, and had no fear of death. None whatsoever. Sometimes it made those around him uncomfortable. But he was totally fearless about it. He viewed death as a natural process of life. He faced the end with great humor and courage.

NEWSWEEK:

How did Harrison’s attitude toward dying compare to other patients you treat?

Dr. Gil Lederman:

He was much more spiritual than most people. He was very special. This was a man adored by millions, and yet he craved the solitude of a quiet day. He could be happy in a little apartment by himself with a guitar. He didn’t need great toys to amuse himself. He was very happy within his skin.

NEWSWEEK:

There are reports that Harrison left your hospital in New York last week, and then came to Los Angeles for treatment at UCLA Medical Center a few days before his death. Did you refer him to UCLA?

Dr. Gil Lederman:

Again, I can’t comment on the medical treatment. But, in general, a lot of people go back to their home base when they complete therapy. His wife and in-laws are all from Los Angeles.

NEWSWEEK:

How did you learn of Harrison’s death?

Dr. Gil Lederman:

I was called Thursday night by his friends.

NEWSWEEK:

The family’s statement says he died at a friend’s house.

Dr. Gil Lederman:

I would assume that he didn’t want to be in a hospital to die. He was a spiritual man. He wanted to be surrounded by beauty and by nature.

NEWSWEEK:

Did he talk to you about his last wishes? Did he want to be cremated?

Dr. Gil Lederman:

I’m not sure. I assume the family does not want something that would become a tourist trap.

NEWSWEEK:

We associate Harrison with Eastern spirituality, but there are reports that he also became a born-again Christian in his later years. Did you ever talk to him about religion?

Dr. Gil Lederman:

He never converted to Hindu or anything else. I think his spirituality came from deep within.

[This message has been edited by jijaji (edited 12-04-2001).]

From Hey Jude:

I'm sure you're being swamped with George info/reports, but a few things I've noticed that haven't been mentioned on the site yet: On this past Friday's "Tonight Show", Jay Leno mentioned George Harrison at the very end of the show. After the musical guest played and all of the other guests came on the screen, Jay shushed the guests and the audience and said something along the lines of "God Bless George Harrison". Also on Friday, "Late Night" with Conan O'Brien also made mention of George. The |"Max Weinberg 7" played "What Is Life" as their opening song (I've heard them play this before, and they often play Beatles/Solo-Beatles songs to open the show, and of course Max is a big fan/friend of Ringo). When Conan O'Brien reached his desk he noted that it was nice for the band to play that song and mentioned that of course everybody loves the Beatles, but that many on his staff are really dedicated Beatles fans, and Conan sent his condolences to George's family. It's interesting to note that Conan O'Brian has interviewed both Paul and Ringo in the past (Ringo in 1995, Paul in 1997).

Also, on Sunday, "The Simpsons" dedicated their episode to George Harrison. As the credits started rolling, they showed a still picture from the episode that George voiced back around 1992 or so (the "Be-Sharps" episode) and it said below the picture "Dedicated to the Memory of George Harrison." I caught the beginning of the "My VH1 Awards" (or something along those lines), and it opened with Bon Jovi performing "Here Comes the Sun" with a video screen showing images of George through the years. After they finished the song, Bon Jovi said "We'll miss you George."

On the not as pleasant side, I caught a bit of the "Shop At Home" cable TV channel (a sort of cheaper version of "QVC" or the "Home Shopping Network"), and they were shamelessly selling all sorts of Beatles memerobilia during what appeared to be their Sports Memorabilia time slot. Their prices actually weren't terrible (as in at or a bit below what the items are listed in price guides for), but were claiming that the items were worth much more than they were (hence, they claimed they were giving such a great deal), and were selling only a few older items, and were usually packaging them up with the more recent trading card sets. It was all pretty distasteful, although not really unexpected. But in general, the media is paying tribute to George about as well as I could possibly expect.

Ananova :

Harrison's fortune left to wife and son

George Harrison has left the bulk of his almost £200 million fortune to his wife and son.

The ex-Beatle left most of his estate to Olivia, his wife, and his son Dhani.

He gave up to 10% to the Hare Krishna faith he embraced in the late 1960s.

Harrison lost his battle with cancer last Thursday.

The New York Post reports that "several million" pounds would be left to un-named international and UK-based charities. Several aid children in poor African countries, the newspaper reports.

A family friend told the newspaper: "George never led a flashy life. He believed in family, charity toward his fellow human beings and in achieving an inner peace. Those beliefs are certainly reflected in his will."

Harrison's assets included a series of properties around the world, with a home on Hamilton Island on Australia's Great Barrier Reef and a huge and secluded ocean-front estate on the Hawaiian island of Maui.

He also owned Friar Park, the £20 million 100-room home in Henley-on-Thames where he was stabbed by a deranged intruder in December 1999.

The estate includes the rights to several songs, including his hit My Sweet Lord and the triple album it was part of, All Things Must Pass, as well as the income from his part in producing films including Monty Python's Life Of Brian.

The worldwide success of last year's Beatles' Greatest Hits compilation increased Harrison's net worth by up to 25%.

Story filed: 15:02 Monday 3rd December 2001

THEN ... tell Dominic at bizarre@the-sun.co.uk how much you want My Sweet Lord. He is leading the campaign on our behalf.

I've also written to EMI records and Abbey Road Studios. The more the better. Right now EMI are afraid it might look bad. But it's not about money - George and his fans could not be happier. And my sweet Lord could not be happier.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,4-2001560309,00.html

All Glories to Shrila Prabhupada

Dear Brothers and Sisters:

There is such non-sense in this Newsweek Interview:

"NEWSWEEK: We associate Harrison with Eastern spirituality, but there are reports that he also became a born-again Christian in his later years. Did you ever talk to him about religion?

Dr. Gil Lederman: He never converted to Hindu or anything else. I think his spirituality came from deep.

What is that? Is that what people have to think is true?

Your Servant,

Bhakta don

Originally posted by Bhakta Don Muntean:

All Glories to Shrila Prabhupada

Dear Brothers and Sisters:

There is such non-sense in this Newsweek Interview:

"NEWSWEEK: We associate Harrison with Eastern spirituality, but there are reports that he also became a born-again Christian in his later years. Did you ever talk to him about religion?

Dr. Gil Lederman: He never converted to Hindu or anything else. I think his spirituality came from deep.

What is that? Is that what people have to think is true?

Your Servant,

Bhakta don

I thought it was pretty LAME as well...

this guy doesn't know George at all!

jijaji

I'm not particularly disturbed by folks like this Lederman fellow, or by what people think of George Harrison's spiritual life. He generally made a point of keeping these things pretty private. I'm somewhat amused by the frenzy I see by so many associated with Krishna consciousness to lay some sort of claim to this man and his identity. In fact, he resisted that during his life. Yes, he practiced Krishna consciousness to some degree over the last 30-odd years. He also liked to race cars, smoke cigarettes, and other things we may be less than excited about acknowledging. Yes, he supported some Krishna conscious projects, but he also supported many other activities, such as helping those suffering in war-torn Bangladesh and raising money for the Natural Law Party.

At the end of his life, he took shelter of the holy name of Krishna and the association of old friends, among whom are some of our Godbrothers. That's a wonderful thing, perhapsw evidence, as some have speculated, that he was a kripa-siddha. The fact that he did so in a very private way should indicate to us how we should deal with it ourselves.

It's natural that those who felt their lives touched by his music and his association with Krishna consciousness express their sadness that he's no longer among us. But let's get a grip on ourselves and resist the tendency so prevalent in our culture to get carried away by celebrity.

I apologize if this offends anyone.

Yes, I believe that George knew Krsna. He said that chanting helped him see God. That is why he had no fear of death. That is why he had so much affection for Srila Prabhupada that he donated $30 million to save his ISKCON. That is why his last word was "Krsna".

After all his silence upon being tortured by a wicked world for bravely revealing his devotion, George has made a statement to every human on the planet, in terms they can really understand, stronger than anyone has made: despite having hundreds of millions of dollars and incredible fame he chose to spend much of his time chanting "Hare Krsna", to be surrounded by the Mahamantra in his last times, to utter "Hare Krsna" with his final breath, and to give a fortune to his master's mission. This story will tell the world in very real terms, whether they want to hear it or not, that this great personality had absolute faith in Lord Caitanya's message.

And it's not over yet. Every time someone buys his music they will receive a good karma bonus, for they will be indirectly donating to ISKCON. And of course, My Sweet Lord will continue for decades.

Krsna saw fit that the world will know of George's "private" life. George and Krsna are shouting to the world:<font color=blue><center><h3>"George is Krsna's".</H3></center></font><font size=-3><font color="#dedfdf">

[This message has been edited by gHari (edited 12-05-2001).]

George really is a humble devotee, and undoubtedly generous in the right ways. But let's not overlook other devotees, who also have done gloriously, however small it may seem to the mundane eye. It is crucial that we show respect and proper dealings with the Vaisnavas regardless of our estimation of their level of advancement or we will make no advancement ourselves. George represents such a humble state of mind, so it makes sense that if one's affection and honor toward him is more than mere sentiment, but is actually deepfelt, this will be seen in one's attitude toward all Vaisnavas.

(edited in deference to keeping more in mode with the thread)

[This message has been edited by gopal (edited 12-05-2001).]

Can we please not resort to arguments - at least on this thread?

Originally posted by gopal:

I understand the point Stonehearted is making, and it is true that in the past there were devotees who made fools of themselves and embarrassed George too by fussing over him. He really is a humble devotee. But let's not get carried away in glorifying him at the cost of insulting other devotees such as Stonehearted. One has no idea how much service individual devotees have done, and it is offensive to compare George's ability to gloriously donate so much to Krsna consciousness with other devotees' similarly glorious efforts on behalf of Caitanya Mahaprabhu's mission, be it washing pots for the other devotees, distributing books, or donating large sums of money because one has it. Take a hint from the spider and the monkeys who built a bridge to Sri Lanka and think again before you brashly and arrogantly insult another devotee--your senior no less--who feels differently than you. If I were George I imagine I would not like to be glorified in the same breath as another devotee being trashed.

[This message has been edited by livingentity (edited 12-04-2001).]

So sorry mataji. But I felt it important to deal out a little advice before it got even more uncivil. George's greatness was his humility. And I believe he would appreciate devotees not being offended and instead being glorified. I get heated when I hear devotees casually assaulted or insulted. But that is all I will say on this, I promise you. All glories to Bhakta George!