IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
leyh

Recommending JNDas

Rate this topic

Dear JNDas:

I have been posting on an interfaith forum at www.foolmoon.com and when a Christian forum member invited me to test the Vedic scriptures in light of history, archelogy and prophecy right along side the Bible.I don't think I am my understanding of Vedic philosophy and I have taken the liberty of recommending India Divine.com.I told the Christian that I'm sure you will be pleased to answer any questions that he has regarding the Vedic scriptures.I hope that's ok with you...

Although this question is directed to jndas, but I feel that the Christian forum member should post only if he really wants the answers to his questions and not if he just wants to criticize Vedas. I am not trying to say that this must be his intention. But there are many who are like this. They ask questions regarding some religion only to make fun of that religion.

Well, it was just my opinion. But, jndas ji is the final authority in such matters.

That Christian is most welcome here. If he is open-minded, he will be pleased to realize that unlike many Christian missionaries we are not fanatical.

I can myself contribute a little with the history part.

Oh, I don't know, I just got blasted off of another Vaisnava forum site for defending the Christian ministry against the accusation that they were all hypocrites because some one thought that it was against their religion to eat meat and that thust they were violating the commandmant "Thou shalt not kill." Had the author of that condemnation bothered himself to flip a few pages over and read those portions of Deutoronomy in which Jehovah is instructing his faithful to eat meat, fish, etc., he might have realized that his arguement and condemnation were not in touch with the reality of the situation... but he didn't, and since it was Srila Prabhupada who made the claim and condemnation, even though it is quite obvious that he was wrong and out of line and even rather boorish is condeming all Christian ministers hypocrites as Nietche pointed out "people do not want challenging questions, they want comforting explanations", so the entire thread which was started by someone else, and which had to do with something else got pulled and the moderator is all aglow with himselg, falsely imagining that he's won one for the gipper.

...it was Srila Prabhupada who made the claim and condemnation, even though it is quite obvious that he was wrong and out of line...

Perhaps Srila Prabhupada made a distinction between killing and sacrificing to God, as most scriptures in the world do.

This brings me to a question, what is the reason why the Christians no longer offer sacrifices, or have replaced it with wine and wafer, etc.? What scriptural references do they use to justify it?

This brings me to a question, what is the reason why the Christians no longer offer sacrifices, or have replaced it with wine and wafer, etc.? What scriptural references do they use to justify it...

I had asked the same question to a x'tian once, and he did come out with a list of Bible quotes. The logic was, Jesus gave his blood, to remove man from sin. Since then, all that is required for people is to accept Jesus as the savior and that will cleanse people of all their sins. So basically, the sacrifices of the OT were superseded by the coming of Jesus and/or the NT.

Cheers

This may be too simplistic, but as I understand it we were given His own son Jesus the Christ so that he would become the final blood sacrifice as the innocent lamb of God, taking all our sins upon himself. Thus the wafers and wine represent the body and blood of Christ and are taken as prasadam. Now, being freed from the burden of past sins without the need for further ritualistic sacrifices, we are to serve our Lord Jesus in others, particularly the `least` amongst us who are suffering the most.

I relate this to Lord Caitanya bringing raganuga bhakti with the Holy Names being the prasadam which is both the sacrifice and also our service to others. Whereas with Jesus the emphasis seems more on material welfare of humanity, the focus with Mahaprabhu is wholly spiritual. In a way, we could understand that God (Krsna) sacrificed His `godness` by coming as His devotee (Radha), thereby investing all His potencies in the Holy Names for our ultimate benefit, especially the most fallen amongst us.

In both cases, Lord Jesus and Lord Caitanya, their sacrifices are intended to bring those of us with full faith in them out of ritualistic vaidhi-type religion into raganuga param-bhakti. Only from such a position of individual freedom are we able to truly begin love of God, which is the real purpose behind both divine appearances. The teachings of one culminate in the other.

valaya RR

[This message has been edited by valaya (edited 11-03-2001).]

Originally posted by jndas:

I've heard that before, but I wonder if there are any statements like, "stop offering sacrifices". Anything direct?

Yes !

The New Testament Sacrament of Bread and Wine

replaces

the Old Testament sacrifice of flesh and blood .....

I've heard that before, but I wonder if there are any statements like, "stop offering sacrifices". Anything direct?

This might not be what you're looking for. There are many other references, if you want them. This is my favourite, however. From Mark 12:33. "And to love Him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices."

Try also Micah 6:6-8, Hebrews 9:13-14, Hebrews 10:1-20 (especially 12-20), Romans 12:1

Topic: Recommending JNDas

I would appreciate it if you could act like a sane person, and not like Melvin. The question was whether there are references in the Bible which specifically state one no longer needs to offer sacrifice to the Lord. Your answers are just wasting space here.