IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Is Gaudiya-vaisnavism as taught by Prabhupada a Hindu sect?

Rate this topic

Originally posted by Satyaraja dasa:

Many people have complained b/c he acts superior and as if he, a convert, knows more about Hinduism then we do.

Jndas is correct in his premise. Who is speaking the meaning of a holy scripture should have a high seat. Even Christians and Moors do observe this rule.

But another point may be raised here. Perhaps this Hindu's main complain is on conversion and the role of covert people as Hindu authority.

Yes..I believe the mentality to try and convert all to to one religion as one's religious duty is fanatical and indicitive of a deep misunderstanding of spirituality.

We see the extreme culmination of this in Islamic Jihad who will kill you if they have to to MAKE you a part of their insane faith!

¸..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- jijaji Posted Image

-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

[This message has been edited by jijaji (edited 10-29-2001).]

Originally posted by shvu:

If people are interested in the history of Indian religion, stick to reading history books.

Which ones shvu? Should I read the ones that emanated from the Boden chair, the ones that came from the left led by Romilla Thapar or the recent Hindutva ones from RSS?

They are all sold in India and often come from the same publisher. Yet, they contradict each other. So, whic of them do I believe?

Which ones shvu? Should I read the ones that emanated from the Boden chair, the ones that came from the left led by Romilla Thapar or the recent Hindutva ones from RSS?

They are all sold in India and often come from the same publisher. Yet, they contradict each other. So, whic of them do I believe?

Try Al Basham's, The wonder that was India. It sure beats, Prabhupada's "Hinduism is dried-out and the followers are useless". That is because, unlike the Srilas from west bengal, Al Basham is a historian, and has reasearched his facts right, before proceeding to write about hinduism. Pretty simple.

Unless of course, you have lived and studied in India, in which case, you should already be aware that Hinduism has not dried out. Or do you by chance, believe Hinduism has dried out and it's followers are useless? If you think so, I would like to know how you define hinduism.

Thanx

I beg to point out that the Hindu religion is perfectly based on the personal conception of God, or Viñëu. Dr. J. F. Staal's statement that the Kåñëa cult is a combination of Christian and Hindu religion, as if something manufactured by concoction, is not correct. As far as the Hindu religion is concerned, there are millions of Kåñëa temples in India, and there is not a single Hindu who does not worship Kåñëa.

Originally posted by karthik_v:

[Various Indian history books] are all sold in India and often come from the same publisher. Yet, they contradict each other. So, whic[h] of them do I believe?

Read widely

Analyze vigourously

Believe your best conclusions

------------------

talasiga@hotmail.com

quote:

Read widely

Analyze vigourously

jijaji:

And trust your Heart....

I mean some of that has to come into play it's not all analysis. Raganuga is the path of the HEART not the HEAD!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

[This message has been edited by jijaji (edited 11-09-2001).]

Originally posted by jijaji:

quote:

Read widely

Analyze vigourously

jijaji:

And trust your Heart....

I mean some of that has to come into play it's not all analysis. Raganuga is the path of the HEART not the HEAD!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

[This message has been edited by jijaji (edited 11-09-2001).]

Never trust authorities that teach you to trust them exclusively while completely distrusting yourself!

Originally posted by shvu:

Try Al Basham's, The wonder that was India. It sure beats, Prabhupada's "Hinduism is dried-out and the followers are useless". That is because, unlike the Srilas from west bengal, Al Basham is a historian, and has reasearched his facts right, before proceeding to write about hinduism. Pretty simple.

Unless of course, you have lived and studied in India, in which case, you should already be aware that Hinduism has not dried out. Or do you by chance, believe Hinduism has dried out and it's followers are useless? If you think so, I would like to know how you define hinduism.

Thanx

Is that why A L Basham put forth rididulous propositions like:

The Indus script is Dravidian and not Aryan.

Asserted that there was an Aryan invasion of India.

Brahmi script was never used in Tamil.

When Srila Prabhupada was referring to 'dried up sects of Hinduism' he was also speaking with regards to bogus gurus. So, you cannot isolate a part of the sentence. Naturally, I would consider the likes of Sai Baba, Shiv shankar Baba etc. as bogus. Just because they seem to worship the Hindu pantheon of Gods doesn't mean they are bonafide sects. Srila Prabhupad's criticism was of the bogus adherents. In the 60s, US was flooded by bogus gurus calling themselves Hindu and he was criticizing them.

Elsewhere, he also glorifies Adi Sankararacharya stating that "Acharya means Sankara". So, it is obvious that he doesn't consider Sankara's advaitists as bogus or a dried up sect, though he considers their philosophy as incomplete.

Hope that explains.

Devotees are performing HarinAm sankIrtan at Timessquare & worldwide.

Some disagree on certain tattva details, preferred gurus...

Still we agree on MahAprabhu's Kaliyuga-dharma, Hinduism's essence.

Public HarinAm is the least sectarian activity imagineable.

Rathayatra & other public festivals also.

Why?

Even nonbelievers are benefitted beyond their wildest dreams.

ZrI KRSNa Caitanya Prabhu bhaja bhaja bhaja bhaire

ZrI KRSNa Caitanya Nitai bhaja bhaja bhaja bhaire

Kaliyuga avatari bhaja bhaja bhaja bhaire

Patita-pAvana Gaurahari bhaja bhaja bhaja bhaire

Originally posted by Tarun:

Devotees are performing HarinAm sankIrtan at Timessquare & worldwide.

Some disagree on certain tattva details, preferred gurus...

Still we agree on MahAprabhu's Kaliyuga-dharma, Hinduism's essence.

Public HarinAm is the least sectarian activity imagineable.

Rathayatra & other public festivals also.

Why?

Even nonbelievers are benefitted beyond their wildest dreams.

ZrI KRSNa Caitanya Prabhu bhaja bhaja bhaja bhaire

ZrI KRSNa Caitanya Nitai bhaja bhaja bhaja bhaire

Kaliyuga avatari bhaja bhaja bhaja bhaire

Patita-pAvana Gaurahari bhaja bhaja bhaja bhaire

HARIBOL! JIVA JAGO! HARIBOL! HEART AND SOUL! HARIBOL!

[This message has been edited by valaya (edited 11-15-2001).]