IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Sikh Book of Scriptures Found Safe in Pakistan

Rate this topic

I found this little bit of news interesting. I visited a Sikh temple a few years back, and it was interesting how they have a special altar just for their Holy Scripture.

Here is a question I have. It seems this group made a special effort to move this Sikh Holy Scripture. Not being well versed in Sikh customs, are there only a few of these books? Like only 1 book per temple, that is worshipped? Can the average Sikh buy copies of their Holy Scripture like the Bible is printed and sold in stores ? It just seems a lot of care was put in place to preserve this book.

Gauracandra

This week, a special Afghan refugee has found safety in neighboring Pakistan. The refugee is a book of scriptures, the GURU GRANTH SAHIB, belonging to the Sikh community in Jalalabad, Afghanistan. The GURU GRANTH SAHIB is the holiest book for Sikhs, who dedicate a special room to it in each temple. Afghan Sikhs carried the Jalalabad copy of the book out of their country in order to protect it from damage during the current conflict.

On October 20, Sikhs commemorate the declaration of the Guru Granth Sahib as the final guru, or religious authority, of their faith in the year 1708. Sikhs celebrate the occasion with special readings of the book, lectures, and the singing of hymns.

Originally posted by Gauracandra:

I found this little bit of news interesting. I visited a Sikh temple a few years back, and it was interesting how they have a special altar just for their Holy Scripture.

Here is a question I have. It seems this group made a special effort to move this Sikh Holy Scripture. Not being well versed in Sikh customs, are there only a few of these books? Like only 1 book per temple, that is worshipped? Can the average Sikh buy copies of their Holy Scripture like the Bible is printed and sold in stores ? It just seems a lot of care was put in place to preserve this book.

After the 10 Sikh Gurus, the 10th Guru compiled the SHRI GURU GRANTHA SAHIB (the Holy Scripture) and thereafter the Holy Book is the Guru for Sikhs.

Usually there is one Holy Book in one Temple (Gurudwara) or in religious Sikh family homes. However devotees have to take great care of the book once they keep it in their home. The book is always kept in a sacred cloth on an elivated altar, it is to be greeted in the morning by reading a few pages from it and in the evening the book has to be formally wrapped in the sacred cloth and closed for the night.

It is very interesting to note that Shri Guru Grantha Sahib is mostly written in Gurmukhi script, however talks mostly from Shrimad Bhagvata and Ramayan. Glories of the Holy Names of the Lord "Rama, Krishna and Govinda" come most frequently in this book.

Shri Shri Guru Gaurangau Jayatah !!!

Shri Guru Granth Sahib is concluded by a very devotional prayer (bhajan) whose main couplet (which is repeated after each stanza) is:

"gun govinda gayo nahi, janamu akarath kinu

kahu nanak hari bhaju manaa, jiha bidhi jala kau meena"

This translates: You have not sung the glories of Govinda, you have wasted your life. Nanak says, O mind! Worship Hari, just like a fish loves water. (just as a fish can not live without water and desperately wants to be with water when kept out of it, so should be our mind when it thinks of anything else but service of Shri Hari)

Originally posted by Arvindaksh das:

Shri Guru Granth Sahib is concluded by a very devotional prayer (bhajan) whose main couplet (which is repeated after each stanza) is:

This translates: You have not sung the glories of Govinda, you have wasted your life. Nanak says, O mind! Worship Hari, just like a fish loves water. (just as a fish can not live without water and desperately wants to be with water when kept out of it, so should be our mind when it thinks of anything else but service of Shri Hari)

Hari Haribol!

Can you tell me more of their realizations about Govinda? I read somewhere that a few biographies of Guru Nanak say that he and Caitanya met (they were contemporaries) and they held kirtan together. Any information on this?

Gauracandra

Originally posted by Gauracandra:

Can you tell me more of their realizations about Govinda? I read somewhere that a few biographies of Guru Nanak say that he and Caitanya met (they were contemporaries) and they held kirtan together. Any information on this?

Gauracandra

This translates: You have not sung the glories of Govinda, you have wasted your life. Naanak says, O mind! Worship Hari, just like a fish loves water (just as a fish can not live without water and desperately wants to be with water when kept out of it, so should be our mind when it thinks of anything else but service of Shri Hari).

All the Sikh Gurus were vaishnavas and this couplet is by Guru Tega Bhahadur ji (the ninth guru).

Guru Naanak deva ji, the first guru was a contemporary of Shri Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu and there are records about their meeting, of which I have not personally come across. Request that devotees may please help if they know about these records.

It is said that in Guru Naanak deva jis teachings the Brahma Jyaana reflects, as may be considered in the following couplet:

"guru kirpaa jaehin narpe keeneeh, tinha yaha jugati pichanee.

Naanak leena bhayo govinda, jyon paanee sangha paanee"

This translates: One who has the blessings of guru, knows the real truth. Naanak has become so absorbed in the thoughts of Govinda, like water when put in water.

I was chanting on my beads on the way to the airport in Toronto in an airport limo. The driver was Sikh.

I mentioned that this practice had come from Caitanya Mahaprabhu who was a contemporary of Guru Nanaak. I mentioned the story of how the two had danced and sang hymns together.

He became quite angry and belligerent: "Sikhs do not sing and dance!"

I noted how they worship Krsna. He said no they don't, that God has no form or name. I mentioned that his Guru referred to God by Krsna's names like Rama and Govinda. He was still adamant that their God was not Krsna; that the use of the names was only to appease the neighborhood Hindus.

I lost a lot of respect for them that day, and they became just more psychotics in my mind. Now maybe Mayavadis can be found in all religions, but I am not likely to approach another Sikh unless Krsna really drags me by the ears.

gHari

Originally posted by gHari:

I lost a lot of respect for them that day, and they became just more psychotics in my mind. Now maybe Mayavadis can be found in all religions, but I am not likely to approach another Sikh unless Krsna really drags me by the ears.

!!!

Posted Image

Compare with:

I bought a box of apples from the organic produce

warehouse. The first apple I went to eat was rotten

through to the core.

I just threw the rest of the box away in disgust.

I will never ever buy apples there again .....

gHari,

You are deafened by your prejudice

Do you think Krishna would drag such a deaf ear ?

I don't know but certainly He is such an unpredicatble Lord.

Please reconsider your position.

Sat Shree Akal

------------------

talasiga@hotmail.com

Sikhs do not believe in the concept of Avatarvad.

Better run and hide from such demons along with everyone else who doesn't think like you.

The world is becoming smaller and smaller for some people it seems.. Posted Image

¸..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- jijaji

-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

[This message has been edited by jijaji (edited 10-28-2001).]

From The Sikhism Home Page

I observe neither Hindu fasting nor the ritual of the Muslim Ramadan month; Him I serve who at the last shall save. The Lord of universe of the Hindus, Gosain and Allah to me are one; From Hindus and Muslims have I broken free. I perform neither Kaaba pilgrimage nor at bathing spots worship; One sole Lord I serve, and no other. I perform neither the Hindu worship nor the Muslim prayer; To the Sole Formless Lord in my heart I bow. We neither are Hindus nor Muslims; Our body and life belong to the One Supreme Being who alone is both Ram and Allah for us." (Guru Arjan Dev, Guru Granth Sahib, Raga Bhairon pg. 1136)

--------

The soul goes through cycles of births and deaths before it reaches the human form. The goal of our life is to lead an exemplary existence so that one may merge with God. Sikhs should remember God at all times and practice living a virtuous and truthful life while maintaining a balance between their spiritual obligations and temporal obligations.

----------

The Formless Supreme Being abides in the Realm of Eternity. Over His creation He casts His glance of grace. In that Realm are contained all the continents and the universes, Exceeding in number all count. Of creation worlds upon worlds abide therein; All obedient to His will; He watches over them in bliss, And has each constantly in mind." (Guru Nanak, Japji)

--------------

I shall merge in the Lord like the water in the sea and the wave in the stream. The soul will merge in God and like air I shall look upon all alike. Then why shall I come again? The coming and going is under the Will of the Lord and Realising This Will, I shall merge in the Lord" (Bhagat Kabir, Maru)

----------

The goal of human life is to break the cycle of birth's and deaths and merge with God. This can be accomplished by following the teachings of the Guru, meditation on the Holy Name and performance of acts of service and charity.

--------

Reincarnation - Like Hinduism Sikhism believes in the transmigration of the soul. There are countless cycles of births and deaths. One only breaks this cycle when they achieve mukhti (merger with God)

Maya - The world is just an illusion and some get enchanted with this illusion and forget God

----------

I do not accept Ganesha as important. I do not meditate on Krishna, neither on Vishnu. I do not hear them and do not recognize them. My love is with the Lotus feet of God. He is my protector, the Supreme Lord. I am dust of his Lotus feet." (Guru Gobind Singh, Krishna Avatar)

SO SAD, we see here that the followers have interpreted Nanak's words in their nightly prayer to take "Lotus Feet" to mean "Divine Hymns":

The sky is the salver; the sun and the moon the lamps; the stars, with their orbs, are the studed pearls.

The fragrance of sandalwood is the incense, the wind the fan and all vegetation are flowers.

Thus Your Wonderful Worship is performed my God! O, the Destroyer of Fears, this is Your true worship with true lamps.

The Unstruck Melody rings and the Divine Music of the Shabad (Word) is the tender flute.

Your eyes are thousands, yet You have no eye; Your forms are thousands, yet You have no form.

Your pure feet are thousands, yet You have no feet; You are without nose, yet You have a thousand noses; Your plays have, in this way, bewitched me.

The same Light pervades all.

This Light causes the light to shine within all.

Through the Gurus advice the divine Light becomes visible.

That, which pleases Him, constitutes His real worship.

My soul bewitched by the Lotus Feet (Divine Hymns) of God, as sweet as honey, for which I am thirsty day and night.

Nanak says: Give the water of Your Mercy to this pied cuckoo, so that I may merge in Your Name.

I must say that I cannot conceive of the Lotus Feet of a formless God, but I find Guru Nanak himself and his story of meeting God charming:

“Me, the bard out of work, the Lord has applied to His service. In the very beginning He gave me the order to sing His praises night and day. The Master summoned the minstrel to His True Court. He clothed me with the robe of His true honour and eulogy. Since then the True Name had become my ambrosial food. They, who under the Guru’s instruction, eat this food to their satisfaction, obtain peace. By singing the Guru’s hymns, I, the minstrel spread the Lord’s glory. Nanak, by praising the True Name I have obtained the perfect Lord.” (Guru Nanak, Pauri, pg. 150)

gHari

------------------

Gary Stevason

Seeking the Kingdom of God

Sikhs and Differences

Sikhism does not believe that any Holy Book takes precedence over all others or any religions prophet is the final messenger of God.

"Say not that the Vedas and Muslim books are false. False is he, who reflects not on them." (Bhagat Kabir, Parbhati, pg. 1350)

"The followers of the Vedas, the Bible and the Koran, standing at Your Door, meditate on You. Uncounted are those who fall at Your Door." (Guru Arjan Dev, pg. 518)

"And many have been orthodox amongst the Muslims, and men of miracles, and Ashvini Kumaras, and the part-incarnations of Vishnu, all O all went the way of death. And many were the prophets and spiritual guides, yea, countless were they: they sprang from the dust and to dust they returned." (Guru Gobind Singh, Akal Ustati)

Purpose of the Holy Book

"Thus We have revealed the Koran in the Arabic tongue and proclaimed in it warnings and threats so that they may take heed and guard themselves against evil." (20:114 Quran)

"Upon this Plate, three things have been placed: Truth, Contentment and Contemplation. The Ambrosial Nectar of the Naam, the Name of our Lord and Master, has been placed upon it as well; it is the Support of all. One who eats it and enjoys it shall be saved. This thing can never be forsaken; keep this always and forever in your mind. The dark world-ocean is crossed over, by grasping the Feet of the Lord; O Nanak, it is all the extension of God." (Guru Arjan Dev, Mundavanee, pg. 1429)

Sikhism believes that people of different religions are equally capable of achieving salvation while still following their own religion.

"Believers, take neither Jews nor Christians for your friends. They are friends with one another. Whoever of you seeks their friendship shall become one of their number. Allah does not guide the wrongdoers." (5:49, Quran)

"Mohammed is Allah's apostle. Those who follow him are ruthless to the unbelievers but merciful to one another." (48:29, Quran)

"When the sacred months are over slay the idolaters wherever you find them. Arrest them, besiege them, and lie in ambush everywhere for them. If they repent and take to prayer and pay the alms-tax, let them go their way. Allah is forgiving and merciful." (9:4, Quran)

"There is a garden, in which so many plants have grown. They bear the Ambrosial Nectar of the Naam as their fruit. Consider this, O wise one, by which you may attain the state of Nirvaanaa. All around this garden are pools of poison, but within it is the Ambrosial Nectar, O Siblings of Destiny. There is only one gardener who tends it. He takes care of every leaf and branch. He brings all sorts of plants and plants them there. They all bear fruit - none is without fruit." (Guru Arjan Dev, Asa, pg. 385)

"The temple or the mosque are the same, the Hindu worship or the Musalman prayer are the same; all men are the same; it is through error they appear different. Deities, demons, Yakshas, heavenly singers, Musalmans and Hindus adopt the customary dress of their different countries. All men have the same eyes, the same ears, the same body, the same build, a compound of earth, air, fire, and water. Allah and Abhekh are the same, the Purans and the Quran are the same; they are all alike; it is the one God who created all. The Hindu God and the Muhammadan God are the same; let no man even by mistake suppose there is a difference." (Guru Gobind Singh, Akal Ustat, pg. 275)

Sri Guru Granth Sahib places greater emphasis on love of God as the main motivation for man rather than fear of God.

"Truly, none will take heed but the wise: those who keep faith with Allah and do not break their pledge; who join together what He has bidden to be united; who fear their Lord and dread the terrors of Judgement-day; who for the sake of Allah endure with fortitude..." (13:18, Quran)

"Allah's reward is great. Therefore fear Him with all your hearts and be attentive, obedient, and charitable. That will be best for you." (64:13, Quran)

"Within my heart, I sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord, and celebrate the Word of the Lord's Shabad. The Lord Himself is pervading and permeating the world; so fall in love with Him!" (Guru Nanak Dev, pg. 790)

"Remembering Him in meditation, one abides in peace; one becomes happy, and suffering is ended. Celebrate, make merry, and sing God's Glories. Forever and ever, surrender to the True Guru." (Guru Arjan Dev, Asa, pg. 386)

Sikhism does not believe in the idea of Gods name being only those authorized in a religious tradition or Holy Book.

"Many are Thy Names and infinite Thine forms and it cannot be told how many merits Thou hast." (Guru Nanak, Asa, pg. 358)

Non-Sikhs are allowed to visit and enter the most sacred shrine of the religion, The Golden Temple.

"Believers, know that the idolaters are unclean. Let them not approach the Sacred Mosque after this year is ended" (9:26, Quran)

"Blessed is the place, and blessed are those who dwell there, where God's Name is meditated upon. The sermons and songs of God's praises are sung there and there is nothing but peace, poise and tranquillity." (Guru Arjan Dev, Raga Bilaval, pg. 816)

"If the Lord Allah lives only in the mosque, then to whom does the rest of the world belong? …The God of the Hindus lives in the southern lands, and the God of the Muslims lives in the west. So search in your heart - look deep into your heart of hearts; this is the home and the place where God lives." (Bhagat Kabir, pg. 1349)

Attitude towards women. Sikh women are allowed to lead congregations of men at the temple or administer all religious ceremonies involving either men or women.

"Man have authority over women because Allah has made the one superior to the other, and because they spend their wealth to maintain them. Good women are obedient. They guard their unseen parts because Allah has guarded them. As for those from whom you fear disobedience, admonish them and send them to beds apart and beat them." (4:34, Quran)

"We are born of woman, we are conceived in the womb of woman, we are engaged and married to woman. We make friendship with woman and the lineage continued because of woman. When one woman dies, we take another one, we are bound with the world through woman. Why should we talk ill of her, who gives birth to kings? The woman is born from woman; there is none without her. Only the One True Lord is without woman" (Guru Nanak Dev, Var Asa, pg. 473)

Sikhism does not believe in women wearing veils.

"Stay, stay, O daughter-in-law - do not cover your face with a veil. In the end, this shall not bring you even half a shell." (Bhagat Kabir, Asa, pg. 484)

Sikhism does not believe in fasting or pilgrimages.

"The mind is not softened by fasting or austerities. Nothing else is equal to worship of the Lord's Name." (Guru Nanak Dev, Ramkali, pg. 905)

"The pilgrimage to shrines, fasting, cleanliness and self-mortification are not of any avail, nor are the rituals, religious ceremonies and hollow adoration's. Deliverance, O! Nanak! is in the devotional service of God. Through duality the mortal is engrossed in worldliness. (Guru Nanak, Sri Rag, pg. 75)

Sikhism rejects the killing of any animal evoking a prayer or by slow death. Muslim Halal meat is forbidden for Sikhs.

"Yet holding the knife, the world they butcher. Wearing blue the rulers approval they seek; With money derived from mlechhas the Puranas they worship. Goats slaughtered over the unapproved Muslims texts they eat." (Guru Nanak, Raga Asa, pg. 472)

Sikhism rejects the idea of circumcision.

"Because of the love of woman, circumcision is done; I don't believe in it, O Siblings of Destiny. If God wished me to be a Muslim, it would be cut off by itself. If circumcision makes one a Muslim, then what about a woman?" (Bhagat Kabir, Asa, pg. 477)

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- jijaji Posted Image

Sikhism and Other Religions

Hinduism

Concerning Hinduism

Similarities

Reincarnation

Like Hinduism Sikhims believes in the transmigration of the soul. There are countless cycles of births and deaths. One only breaks this cycle when they achieve mukhti (merger with God)

Karma regulates the reincarnation and transmigration of the soul, Sikhism links Karma with the doctrine of Grace.

"Mortals obtain a human body as a result of good deeds but he reaches the gate ofsalvation with God's kind grace." (Guru Nanak, Japji)

Maya

The world is just an illusion and some get enchanted with this illusion and forget God

Differences

Sikhism rejects polytheism and accepts monotheism. Whereas Sikhism starts with one God and universalizes Him, Hinduism starts with many Gods and occasionally gives glimpses of 'One'.

"I do not accept Ganesha as important. I do not meditate on Krishna, neither on Vishnu. I do not hear them and do not recognize them. My love is with the Lotus feet of God. He is my protector, the Supreme Lord. I am dust of his Lotus feet." (Guru Gobind Singh, Krishna Avatar)

Authority of the Vedas and the belief that the truth revealed in them is absolute and that reading them one can realize perfection.

"I have read all the Vedas, but my mind's separation from God is not removed and the five demons of my house (body) are stilled not even for an instant." (Guru Arjan Dev, Ashtpadis, pg. 687)

Sikhism does not recognize any priestly class.

"Kabir, the Brahman may be the Guru of the world, but he is not the Guru of the saints. He rots to death in the perplexities of the four Vedas" (Bhagat Kabir, Salok, pg. 1377)

Rejection of the Ashrama Dharma theory of dividing man's life into four stages. Instead the Gurus emphasized living the householders life. Rejection of the Varna distinction of division of human society into higher and lower castes.

"There are four castes of the literates, warriors, cultivators and menials and the four stages of life. He who meditates on the Lord is the most distinguished amongst men." (Guru Ram Das, Gond, pg. 861)

"The Lord asks not mortals caste and birth, so find thou out the Lord's True Home (truth). That alone is man's caste and that his glory, as are the deeds which he does." (Guru Nanak, Parbhati, pg. 1330)

The Gurus rejected the Avtara theory of the incarnations of God. The Gurus not only exposed the mortality of these gods but used stories to illustrate moral values, such as 'pride leads to a fall' illustrated by the story of Harnakhash, untouchability becoming superior through devotion to God by Krishna stories and stories where Bhrahma, Vishnu and Shiva are shown to be ordinary mortals. The Gurus stressed that there is only one God and that these gods and goddeses were not true.

"In every age, the Lord creates the kings, who are sung of as His incarnations. Even they have not found His limits." (Guru Amar Das, Ashtpadis, pg. 423)

"Millions of incarnations of Vishnu and Shiv, with matted hair Desire Thee, O Kind Lord, with endless longing of their mind and body. Infinite and Inaccessible is Lord, the World Sustainer, and He is the Omnipresent wealthy Master. The gods, perfect persons, heavenly heralds and celestial singers contemplate on Thee. The greater gods and heavenly dancers utter Thine praises. Myrids of kings, gods and many super human beings remember the Lord and hail Him." (Guru Arjan Dev, Chhant, pg. 455)

Worship of idols and images.

"The blind ignorant ones stray in doubt and so deluded, deluded they pluck flowers for worship. They worship the lifeless stones and adore tombs. Their service all goes in vain." (Guru Ram Das, Malar, pg. 1264)

"They who say the stone is a god; in vain is their service. He who falls at the feet of the stone; vain goes his labour. My Lord ever speaks. The Lord gives gifts to all the living beings. The Lord is within, but the blind one knows not. Deluded by doubt, he is caught in a noose. The stone speaks not, nor gives anything. In vain are the ceremonies of the idolater, and fruitless his service." (Guru Arjan Dev, Bhairo, pg. 1160)

The Gita and Vedanta goal of a Mukt. Once he achieves salvation he does not live for the community. In Sikhism the Gurmukh achieving salvation lives to save others.

"Abandon lust, wrath, avarice and worldly love. Thus be rid of both birth and death. Distress and darkness shall depart from thy home, when, within thee, the Guru implants wisdom and lights the Divine lamp. He, who serves the Lord crosses the sea of life. Through the Guru, O slave Nanak, the entire world is saved." (Guru Arjan Dev, Gauri, pg. 241)

Belief that reading of the six Shastras and their mastery will bring salvation.

"The greatly voluminous Simirtis and Shastras stretch out the extension of worldly love. The fools read them, but know not their Lord. Some rare one knows Him by the Guru's grace. Of Himself the Creator does and makes others do. By means of the True Bani, He implants truth within the mortal." (Guru Amar Das, Maru, pg. 1053)

"Many Shashtras and many Simirtis have I seen and searched them all. Nanak, they equal not Lord God's invaluable Name." (Guru Arjan Dev, Gauri, pg. 265)

Rejection of Sanskrit or any language as being sacred.

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- jijaji Posted Image

more...

Sikh Religious Philosophy

"Realization of Truth is higher than all else.

Higher still is Truthful Living." (Guru Nanak, Sri Rag)

There is only one God, he is the Creator, Sustainer and Destroyer.

"You are the Creator, O Lord, the Unknowable. You created the Universe of diverse kinds, colours and qualities. You know your own Creation. All this is your Play." (Guru Nanak, Var Majh)

"The Formless Supreme Being abides in the Realm of Eternity. Over His creation He casts His glance of grace. In that Realm are contained all the continents and the universes, Exceeding in number all count. Of creation worlds upon worlds abide therein; All obedient to His will; He watches over them in bliss, And has each constantly in mind." (Guru Nanak, Japji)

God cannot take human form.

"He neither has father, nor mother, nor sons nor brothers." (Guru Nanak, Maru)

"Burnt be the mouth that asserts, the Lord takes birth. He is neither born nor dies; neither enters birth nor departs. All pervasive is Nanaks Lord." (Guru Arjan Dev, Raga Bhairon)

The goal of human life is to break the cycle of birth's and deaths and merge with God. This can be accomplished by following the teachings of the Guru, meditation on the Holy Name and performance of acts of service and charity.

Without devotion to the Name Divine is birth in the world gone waste. Such consume poison, poisonous their utterance; Without devotion to the Name, without gain they die, and after death in transmigration wander." (Guru Nanak, Raga Bhairon)

"True life is life in God, contemplation on the Name and the society of the saints" (Guru Arjan Dev, Dhanasari)

"I shall merge in the Lord like the water in the sea and the wave in the stream. The soul will merge in God and like air I shall look upon all alike. Then why shall I come again? The coming and going is under the Will of the Lord and Realising This Will, I shall merge in the Lord" (Bhagat Kabir, Maru)

"The disciple of the True Guru (God) dwells upon the Lord through the teaching of the Guru and all his sins are washed away" (Guru Ram Das, Var Gauri)

"Our service in the world gets us a seat in the Court of the Lord" (Guru Nanak, Sri Rag)

"One known as disciple of the holy Perceptor must, rising at dawn, on the Name Divine meditate" (Guru Ram Das, Raga Gauri)

The five cardinal vices are; Kam (lust), Krodh (anger), Lobh (greed), Moh (worldly attachment) and Ahankar (pride). If one can overcome these, they will achieve salvation.

"Five thieves who live within this body are lust, anger, greed, attachment and ego. They rob us of ambrosia, but the egocentrics do not understand it and no one listens to their cries" (Guru Amar Das, Sorath)

"I am in the Refuge of the Lord; Bless me, O Lord with your Grace, so that the lust, anger, greed, attachment and ego may be destroyed" (Guru Arjan Dev, Gauri Sukhmani)

Narm Marg; emphasizes daily devotion to the remembrance of God.

"Meditation of the Lord is the highest of the deeds, through which myriads obtain release, through which the thirst (of desires) is quenched, through which one becomes all knowing, through which the fear of death goes away, through which all the desires are fulfilled, through which the dirt of the mind is cleansed and the Nectar of the Name of God is absorbed in the mind" (Guru Nanak, Gauri Sukhmani)

Rejection of all forms of blind rituals such as fasting, religious vegetarianism, pilgrimages, superstions, yoga, as well as any form of idol worship.

"Let good conduct be thy fasting." (Guru Nanak, Var Majh)

"You keep the fast to please Allah, but slay life for your relish..But you do not reflect on the Lord, Who is within you" (Bhagat Kabir, Asa)

"Only fools argue whether to eat meat or not. They don't understand truth nor do they meditate on it. Who can define what is meat and what is plant? Who knows where the sin lies, being a vegetarian or a non vegetarian?" (Guru Nanak, Var Malar)

"The world is in agony because of the filth of ego, the word is filthy because of duality; The filth of ego cannot be washed away, even if one bathes at one hundred holy places." (Guru Amar Das, Sri Raga)

"They go to holy places for a bath, Their minds are impure and bodies are like thieves; If by bath their dirt drops down, they got on themselves twice as much dirt and ego." (Guru Nanak, Var Suhi)

"Whosover controls the mind, he is a pilgrim" (Guru Arjan Dev, Maru Solhe)

"You calculate the auspicious moments, but do not realise, That God is far above the effects of these auspicious moments." (Guru Nanak, Ramkali)

"Good omens and ill omens stick to him Who does not remember the Lord." (Guru Arjan Dev, Asa)

"The way to true yoga is found by dwelling in God and remaining detached in the midst of worldly attachments." (Guru Nanak, Suhi))

"Pandits are busy studying Puranas, Yogis are busy in yogic meditations; Sannyasis are intoxicated with ego, Tapsis are intoxicated with secrets of Tapas; All are intoxicated, none is awake, With them are thieves robbing them." (Bhagat Kabir, Basant)

"Five are the Muslim prayers; five their appointed hours, Five their names. These be the true prayers: The first is Truth, the second is lawful earning and the third is to beg the Graces of God for all, The fourth is the right intention in the mind and the fifth is the praise of the Lord." (Guru Nanak, Var Majh)

"He reads the holy books with commentaries, He does not remember God, his way of living is not flowless. He instructs and makes other people firm, But does not practise, whatever he says. Understand the substance of the Vedas, O Pandit!" (Guru Arjan Dev, Ramkali)

"The stone he calls his god, in the end, drowns him with itself... Know that a boat of stone carries one not across" (Guru Arjan Dev, Suhi)

"The stone neither speaks nor gives anything. Therefore its service is fruitless and its worship is of no avail." (Bhagat Kabir, Bhairo)

Normal Family life (Grasth) is encouraged, celibacy or renunciation of the world is not necessary to achieve salvation. The devotee must live in the world yet keep his mind pure. He must be a soldier, a scholar, a saint.

"Beauteous lady! hast not heard with thy ears, To the husband's home must thou come, nor for ever canst thou in the parental home abide" (Guru Nanak, Sri Rag)

"I that in the parents home on the Lord meditated, In the husband's home bliss have found. Blessed is the entire life of such." (Guru Ram Das, Sri Rag)

"Those known as celibates knowing not the right device, discard house and home." (Guru Nanak, Asa)

"Forsaking the household, one's mind took him to the forest, but it could not get peace even for a moment; but when it sought the refuge of the Saint of the Lord, its wanderings ceased and it returned to its own home. One abandoned his relatives and became a Sannyasi, but the craving of the mind did not cease. One's desires are not finished without the Word of the Guru, which alone can bring peace. When hatred for the world wells up in ones mind, he becomes a naked recluse, but the mind wanders ceaselessly and these wanderings do not end his desires, but when he meets the saints, he reaches the House of Mercy. Siddhas learn numerous Yogic poses; but their mind only after miraculous powers yearns. Thereby comes not to them fulfilment, content and peace of mind." (Guru Ram Das, Bilaval)

The Sikh Holy Book (Guru Granth Sahib) is the perpetual Guru, there is no place in Sikhism for a living Guru today.

"The bani is the preceptor and the preceptor is the bani, All the nectars are present in the bani: If the faithful follows the bani of the preceptor, The preceptor himself helps him in the realisation of his ideal." (Guru Ram Das, Nat)

Sikhism rejects all distinctions of caste, creed, race or sex.

"All are created from the seed of God. There is the same clay in the whole world, the potter (God) makes many kinds of pots." (Guru Amar Das, Bhairo)

"Recognise the light (of God) and do not ask for the caste, There is no caste in the next world." (Guru Nanak, Asa)

The Guru's stressed the full equality of women, rejecting female infanticide, sati (wife burning), permitting widow remarriage and rejects purdah (women wearing veils).

"We are born of woman, we are conceived in the womb of woman, we are engaged and married to woman. We make friendship with woman and the lineage continued because of woman. When one woman dies, we take another one, we are bound with the world through woman. Why should we talk ill of her, who gives birth to kings? The woman is born from woman; there is none without her. Only the One True Lord is without woman" (Guru Nanak, Var Asa)

"They cannot be called satis, who burn themselves with their dead husbands. They can only be called satis, if they bear the shock of separation. They may also be known as satis, who live with character and contentment and always show veneration to their husbands by remembering them." (Guru Amar Das, Var Suhi)

Honest labour and work (Kirat Karna) are the approved way of living ones life. It is considered honourable to earn ones daily bread through honest work and not by begging or dishonest means.

"He who eats what he earns through his earnest labour and from his hand gives something in charity; he alone, O Nanak, knows the true way of life" (Guru Nanak Dev, Rag Sarang, pg. 1245)

Vand Chhakna, sharing with others is also a social responsibility. The individual is expected to help others in need through charity.

Seva, community service is also an intergral part of Sikhism. The free community kitchen (langar) found at every gurdwara and open to people of all religions is one expression of this community service.

When the sacred months are over slay the idolaters wherever you find them. Arrest them, besiege them, and lie in ambush everywhere for them. If they repent and take to prayer and pay the alms-tax, let them go their way. Allah is forgiving and merciful. (9:4, Quran)

Man have authority over women because Allah has made the one superior to the other, and because they spend their wealth to maintain them. Good women are obedient. They guard their unseen parts because Allah has guarded them. As for those from whom you fear disobedience, admonish them and send them to beds apart and beat them." (4:34, Quran)

It is as clear as can be that the Quran advocates violence and has formed the basis for many wars and acts of terrorism. Yet interestingly, many muslims strongly maintain that the Quran's teachings are peaceful.

Cheers

God Reveals Himself to Guru Nanak

At Sultanpur, Guru Nanak Dev used to go daily to Bein stream for a bath and to spend sometime in meditation. On one such occasion, he plunged into the stream. He remained missing for three days. According to Janamsakhis, "The Guru had a face to face talk with the Almighty, who assigned him with the mission of preaching the glory of His Name. Then God blessed him and commanded, "O Nanak ! When you look at anyone gracefully, it is not yours, but my graceful look. In other words, on whom you have benevolence, on him will be me benevolence. My name in the Supreme Brahma, the Supreme Lord; and thy name is the Guru, Permeshwar, that is the supreme Guru (prefect preceptor). "Guru Nanak Dev was taken in vision into the presence of God, where celestial music was heard. God pleasingly commanded Nanak to repeat the "Namm" and cause others to repeat the "Namm". So Guru Nanak Dev, the World-Teacher said, "There is only one God, True is His Name. He is the Creator, Fearless, Devoid of hate, Immortal, Not-Immortal, Self-Existent, by the Grace of the Enlightener. You can realize him. He is True one in the beginning; True in the primeval age; True He is, O Nanak; True He shall always be. " Guru Nanak Dev further said, "There is no Hindu, no Musalman", implying that the dividing lines between the creeds are unreal and false. So men must come under a sole universal creed, wherein lies no scope for the sectarian discord. People began to call him "Nanak Nirankari" - God's Nanak.

Face-to-face with a faceless God? Caitanya Mahaprabhu? I fear the truth may be lost.

gHari

------------------

Gary Stevason

Here is a comprehensive page about that Sikh book, The Living Guru. As well as revealing the scripture's authors (both Sikh Gurus and Hindu/Moslem/Sikh saints), the page also offers an on-line English translation.

It is apparent that modern-day practice may not reflect the ideas that seem to be conveyed by the Guru's writings.

------------------

Gary Stevason

quote:

It is as clear as can be that the Quran advocates violence and has formed the basis for many wars and acts of terrorism. Yet interestingly, many muslims strongly maintain that the Quran's teachings are peaceful.

jijaji:

only those who want to assimilate into the modern world...they are in great denial of e this BLOODTHIRSTY DESERT RELIGION!

------------------

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- jijaji

Well if this section from the Sikh book, Raga Mali Gaura isn't Gaurasundara, it is one incredible acintya coincidence; and if they ain't trying to describe Lord Syamasundara I'll eat me hat. And Gajendra!

Formless must mean, like in the Vedas, without material form. And just like with the Vedas, the envious translate that into an impersonal Deity:

MAALEE GAURAA, THE WORD OF DEVOTEE NAAM DAYV JEE:

ONE UNIVERSAL CREATOR GOD. BY THE GRACE OF THE TRUE GURU:

Blessed, blessed is that flute which the Lord plays. The sweet, sweet unstruck sound current sings forth. Blessed, blessed is the wool of the sheep; blessed, blessed is the blanket worn by Krishna. Blessed, blessed are you, O mother Dayvakee; into your home the Lord was born. Blessed, blessed are the forests of Brindaaban; the Supreme Lord plays there. He plays the flute, and herds the cows; Naam Dayv's Lord and Master plays happily. O my Father, Lord of wealth, blessed are You, long-haired, dark-skinned, my darling.

You hold the steel chakra in Your hand; You came down from Heaven, and saved the life of the elephant. In the court of Duhsaasan, You saved the honor of Dropati, when her clothes were being removed. You saved Ahliyaa, the wife of Gautam; how many have You purified and carried across? Such a lowly outcaste as Naam Dayv has come seeking Your Sanctuary. Within all hearts, the Lord speaks, the Lord speaks. Who else speaks, other than the Lord?

Out of the same clay, the elephant, the ant, and the many sorts of species are formed. In stationary life forms, moving beings, worms, moths and within each and every heart, the Lord is contained. Remember the One, Infinite Lord; abandon all other hopes. Naam Dayv prays, I have become dispassionate and detached; who is the Lord and Master, and who is the slave?

gHari

------------------

Gary Stevason

MARU, FIFTH MEHL, SIXTH HOUSE, DU-PADAS:

ONE UNIVERSAL CREATOR GOD. BY THE GRACE OF THE TRUE GURU:

Abandon all your clever tricks; meet with the Holy, and renounce your egotistical pride. Everything else is false; with your tongue, chant the Name of the Lord, Raam, Raam. || 1 || O my mind, with your ears, listen to the Name of the Lord. The sins of your many past lifetimes shall be washed away; then, what can the wretched Messenger of Death do to you?

Page 1016

Forgetting the Name, he dwells upon the Vedas; he writes, but he is confused by his poisonous corruption. || 5 || He is like the crop planted in the salty soil, or the tree growing on the river bank, or the white clothes sprinkled with dirt. This world is the house of desire; whoever enters it, is burnt down by egotistical pride. || 6 || Where are all the kings and their subjects? Those who are immersed in duality are destroyed. Says Nanak, these are the steps of the ladder, of the Teachings of the True Guru; only the Unseen Lord shall remain.

Originally posted by gHari:

What, no pedantic poetry from the frog in the well?

Who

would leave his common sense

in a Toronto taxi !?

Please reconsider your position

(2nd request)

------------------

talasiga@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by talasiga (edited 10-28-2001).]

Sound familiar?

Page 1054

|| 10 || The Perfect True Guru has imparted this understanding. I have enshrined the Naam, the One Name, within my mind. I chant the Naam, and meditate on the Naam. Singing His Glorious Praises, I enter the Mansion of the Lord's Presence. || 11 || The servant serves, and obeys the Command of the Infinite Lord. The self-willed manmukhs do not know the value of the Lord's Command. By the Hukam of the Lord's Command, one is exalted; by His Hukam, one is glorified; by His Hukam, one becomes carefree. || 12 || By Guru's Grace, one recognizes the Lord's Hukam. The wandering mind is restrained, and brought back to the home of the One Lord. Imbued with the Naam, one remains forever detached; the jewel of the Naam rests within the mind. || 13 || The One Lord is pervasive throughout all the world. By Guru's Grace, He is revealed. Those humble beings who praise the Shabad are immaculate; they dwell within the home of their own inner self. || 14 || The devotees abide forever in Your Sanctuary, Lord. You are inaccessible and unfathomable; Your value cannot be estimated. As it pleases Your Will, You keep us; the Gurmukh meditates on the Naam. || 15 || Forever and ever, I sing Your Glorious Praises. O my True Lord and Master, may I become pleasing to Your Mind. Nanak offers this true prayer: O Lord, please bless me with Truth, that I may merge in the Truth. || 16 || 1 || 10 || MARU, THIRD MEHL: Those who serve the True Guru are very fortunate. Night and day, they remain lovingly attuned to the True Name. The Lord, the Giver of peace, abides forever deep within their hearts; they delight in the True Word of the Shabad. || 1 || When the Lord grants His Grace, one meets with the Guru. The Name of the Lord is enshrined within the mind. The Lord, the Giver of peace, abides forever within the mind; the mind is delighted with the Word of the Shabad. || 2 || When the Lord bestows His Mercy, He unites in His Union. Egotism and attachment are burned away by the Shabad. In the Love of the One Lord, one remains liberated forever; he is not in conflict with anyone. || 3 || Without serving the True Guru, there is only pitch-black darkness. Without the Shabad, no one crosses over to the other side. Those who are imbued with the Shabad, are very detached. They earn the profit of the True Word of the Shabad. || 4 || Pain and pleasure are pre-ordained by the Creator. He Himself has caused the love of duality to be pervasive. One who becomes Gurmukh remains detached; how can anyone trust the self-willed manmukh? || 5 || Those who do not recognize the Shabad are manmukhs. They do not know the essence of the Fear of the Guru. Without this Fear, how can anyone find the Fearless True Lord? The Messenger of Death will pull the breath out. || 6 || The invulnerable Messenger of Death cannot be killed. The Word of the Guru's Shabad prevents him from approaching. When he hears the Word of the Shabad, he runs far away. He is afraid that the self-sufficient Dear Lord will kill him. || 7 || The Dear Lord is the Ruler above all. What can this wretched Messenger of Death do? As slave to the Hukam of the Lord's Command, the mortal acts according to His Hukam. According to His Hukam, he is deprived of his breath. || 8 || The Gurmukh realizes that the True Lord created the creation. The Gurmukh knows that the Lord has expanded the entire expanse. One who becomes Gurmukh, understands the True Lord. Through the True Word of the Shabad, he finds peace. || 9 || The Gurmukh knows that the Lord is the Architect of karma. Throughout the four ages, he recognizes the Word of the Guru's Shabad. The Gurmukh does not die, the Gurmukh is not reborn; the Gurmukh is immersed in the Shabad. || 10 || The Gurmukh praises the Naam, and the Shabad. God is inaccessible, unfathomable and self-sufficient. The Naam, the Name of the One Lord, saves and redeems throughout the four ages. Through the Shabad, one trades in the Naam. || 11 || The Gurmukh obtains eternal peace and tranqulity. The Gurmukh enshrines the Naam within his heart. One who becomes Gurmukh recognizes the Naam, and the noose of evil-mindedness is snapped. || 12 || The Gurmukh wells up from, and then merges back into Truth. He does not die and take birth, and is not consigned to reincarnation. The Gurmukh remains forever imbued with the color of the Lord's Love. Night and day, he earns a profit. || 13 || The Gurmukhs, the devotees, are exalted and beautified in the Court of the Lord. They are embellished with the True Word of His Bani, and the Word of the Shabad. Night and day, they sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord, day and night, and they intuitively go to their own home. || 14 || The Perfect True Guru proclaims the Shabad; night and day, remain lovingly attuned to devotional worship. One who sings forever the Glorious Praises of the Lord, becomes immaculate; Immaculate are the Glorious Praises of the Sovereign Lord . || 15 || The True Lord is the Giver of virtue. How rare are those who, as Gurmukh, understand this. Servant Nanak praises the Naam; he blossoms forth in the ecstasy of the Name of the self-sufficient Lord.