IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
leyh

To tell or not to tell?

Rate this topic

If one of the offences against the holy names is to instruct a faithless person about the glories of the holy name,does it mean that it is offensive for us to tell non-devotees about the maha-mantra and the principles behind chanting Hare Krsna?

Originally posted by leyh:

If one of the offences against the holy names is to instruct a faithless person about the glories of the holy name,does it mean that it is offensive for us to tell non-devotees about the maha-mantra and the principles behind chanting Hare Krsna?

The first jiva to instruct me explicitly in the maha-mantra was my Gurudeva, on the day that I received Harinama initiation. Before that, when I was canvassing the various Vaishnav groups, I heard only very basic, ambiguous descriptions of the holy name. So I suppose it should be handled like this. You shouldn't even read anything too detailed about chanting the holy name, until a bonefide sadhu instructs you.

Originally posted by amanpeter:

...and don't I just know it!

Some have faith in the little they know

Others in the Great Unknown

------------------

talasiga@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by talasiga (edited 09-20-2001).]

Originally posted by leyh:

haribol leyh,

It might be a good idea while talking to them to first see if they believe in God before telling them that God is non-different from His name.

If they don't even accept God perhaps sticking to trying to explain that life comes from life and we are not the body etc.is the best policy.

But one thing we know is that anyone can be benefited by hearing the name irregardless of belief.

Hare Krishna

Thank you people for offering your insights and comments.I have had the opportunity to converse with some Christian evangelists in my university (National University of Singapore),and they have asked me a few questions about Krsna Consciousness.

It seems to me that the chanting of the holy names is so fundamental to Krsna Consciousness that I find it difficult to speak about Krsna Consciousness without mentioning chanting.

Yet there is this danger that even if those Christians believe in God,they might very well mentally deride the process of chanting after I've mentioned it to them.Maybe I could mention chanting without telling them about the maha-mantra?

And what about non-devotees? If by chance they see a devotee chanting with a bead bag and ask:"What are you doing?"What should be the response that does not create offences to the holy name by instructing the faithless? I've thought about it a little and I think if that were to happen to me,all I would say is: "I'm chanting the holy names of God."If they left it at that,fine.But if they want to know more...

Suggestions,anyone?

[This message has been edited by leyh (edited 09-20-2001).]

Originally posted by Maitreya:

OK Talasiga, now what are you rolling your eyes about.

There is a first time for everything.

BTW, was that a question ?

Why didn't put a question mark ?

I am just going to have to tell Animesh !

Originally posted by valaya:

leyh prabhu, you need a guru, maybe two...RR

Two gurus???

What does "RR" mean?

[This message has been edited by leyh (edited 09-21-2001).]

He was rolling his eyes over your usage of the word 'irregardless'. Posted Image

Usually, the word 'regrdless' or the word 'irrespective' is used.

The word 'irregarless' is probably a blend of 'irrespective' and 'regardless'. Even though this word originated in American speech in the early 20th century, it still does not have general acceptance. English schollars do not like this word. I do not know the exact reason for this, but I think that the dislike for this word is because of the double negative in it. The prefix 'ir' is used for negative and the suffix 'less' is also used for negative. The word 'irregardless' has both of these.

It seems that using double negative has become a fashion now-a-days. What do you think about "I don't have no money?"

I just hate such kind of sentence.

Originally posted by animesh:

He was rolling his eyes over your usage of the word 'irregardless'. Posted Image

Usually, the word 'regr*dless' or the word 'irrespective' is used.

The word 'irregar*less' is probably a blend of 'irrespective' and 'regardless'. Even though this word originated in American speech in the early 20th century, it still does not have general acceptance. English schol*lars do not like this word. I do not know the exact reason for this, but I think that the dislike for this word is because of the double negative in it. The prefix 'ir' is used for negative and the suffix 'less' is also used for negative. The word 'irregardless' has both of these.

It seems that using double negative has become a fashion now-a-days. What do you think about "I don't have no money?"

I just hate such kind of sentence.

OK you damn grammer cops, I ain't takin' it no more.

Double negative ain't no nothing compared to what's coming.

Maybe I don't have no grammer skills but in your post above there at least three spelling errors.I have marked them for your immediate attention. Posted Image

I just hate such kind of spelling.

Talasiga and animesh;did Jagat send youse guys?

Now where's my stick?

OK you damn grammer cops, I ain't takin' it no more.

You are not taking it no more. This means that you do want to take it some more. Posted Image

Double negative ain't no nothing compared to what's coming.

Triple negative Posted Image

Maybe I don't have no grammer skills ...

You don't have no grammar skills. This means that you do have some grammar skills. Nice to know. Posted Image

Now where's my stick?

Do you also have grand children?

I surrender.

Anismesh is giving me lessons.I will try to be a good student.For him I will watch my grammer and for Talasiga I will pledge to improve my puncutation.

I have not grandchildren nor sticks.I am unarmed and repentent.

I mean to say: I have neither grandchildren nor sticks.

But should I have used ; or :?

[Edited for the pleasure of grammer guruji animesh.]

[This message has been edited by Maitreya (edited 09-23-2001).]