IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Arvindaksh das

Sayings of Vaishnava Saints

Rate this topic

Shri Shri Guru Gaurangau Jayatah !!!

The Supreme Lord Shri Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu said:

"Neither birth, nor knowledge, nor wealth is the criterion for devotion to Shri Shri Radha Madanmohan. To prove this Thakur Haridas was born in a non-Hindu family. What was the age of Dhruva or Prahlad? The caste of Vidura? The learning/knowledge of Gajendra? The wealth of Sudama Vipra? The beauty of Kubja? The prowess of King Ugrasena? Yet they were favoured by the causeless mercy of the supreme Lord Shri Madhava. This was not because of their mundane merits, however because of their unflinching devotion to the Lotus Feet of Shri Shri Radha Govinda and this aptitude is very dear to Them."

[This message has been edited by Arvindaksh das (edited 09-29-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Arvindaksh das (edited 09-29-2001).]

"No amount of severe austerities, study of the Vedas, performance of ceremonial rites,

knowledge of the Universe, asceticism or renunciation is competent enough to please Me. I am pleased only by unadulterated/unselfish devotion. I, Who am the most beloved of the saints, am attainable only by firm faith and unalloyed devotion. Steadfast and unflinching devotion to Me sanctifies even the dog-eaters or untouchables from their low births."

Originally posted by Arvindaksh das:

"No amount of severe austerities, study of the Vedas, performance of ceremonial rites,

knowledge of the Universe, asceticism or renunciation is competent enough to please Me. I am pleased only by unadulterated/unselfish devotion. I, Who am the most beloved of the saints, am attainable only by firm faith and unalloyed devotion. Steadfast and unflinching devotion to Me sanctifies even the dog-eaters or untouchables from their low births."

"A devotee of Shri Krishna born in a low caste is adored by all, while a brahmin averse to His worship is not liked by devotees, despite his high lineage."

Kalyan Kalpataru Advice Song 1

O mind! why do you worship trash,

This perishable world, for the selfish jiva, is an ocean of misfortunes.

Jiva is beyond material world, eternal, beyond maya, and of the nature of pure love.

Realize your true self, and don’t get engrosed in the material world again and again.

Please see once again, the self soul is pure nectar, understand it like this.

Stay as a pure soul, in Shri Chaitanya’s shelter, in the transcendental Vrindavana.

Eternally with the gopis, experiencing pure joy in selfless service, make Shri Shri Radha Krishna’s service as your objective.

A foolish person who leaves the wealth of Their service, will have no fortune.

Originally posted by Satyaraja dasa:

Please post the Sanskrit sloka, not its biased translation, thereafter we may discuss.

Satyaraja dasa:

It seems to me that you are interested in conflict and not discussion.

Originally posted by leyh:

It seems to me that you are interested in conflict and not discussion.

No no no -

He is intersted in the Sanskrit and then the discussion.....

------------------

talasiga@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by talasiga (edited 10-01-2001).]

Kalyan Kalpataru Advice Song 2

O Mind! Why do you enjoy lust,

Reject lust and serve in love, by extending into the divine world.

Physical lust is transitional, without peacefulness and without an end.

You desire objects of lust, still they evade you; and if you get them they still leave you.

You serve the objects of lust, still they don’t love you; Vinode burns in grief.

Leave aside the false desires, and love Vrindavan’s Madan Mohan.

His divine love will satiate your heart and your eternal self will love His divine flower arrows.

Srila Murari Gupta’s Prayers Unto The Lotus Feet of Sri Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu

(Srila Murari Gupta is same as Srila Hanuman of Sri Sri Sita Rama Lila)

Demanded by the Lord to ask for a boon, Srila Murari Gupta prayed with all humility befitting a Vaishnava: "O Lord! please be pleased to give me this boon that I may sing Your Glories in every birth, and that I may be the servant of Your devotees, wherever and whenever You may decide to descend. Nothing but unflinching loving devotional service for You and Your devotees do I pray for. May You and Your devotees Holy Names and Lotus Feet be the object of my constant remembrance. O Lord! I have no faith in virtue or vice, nor do I have any desire for worldly enjoyment. Come what may, good or bad, let me reap the fruits of my past actions. Wherever I may be born - heaven, earth or hell, let my fervent prayer even at the last moment be unflinching loving devotional service for These Holy Names and Lotus Feet. O Lord! may my heart love and tongue chant These Holy Names. My ears hear the soul enchanting narratives, hands serve and eyes see the beautiful form of You and Your devotees. My legs gyrate Your Temple, My nose smell the Tulasi leaves offered to You and my head bow down before You and Your devotees (please note that a Pure Devotees body, senses and mind are eternal and sat, chit, ananda unlike the material bodies in the material world). O Lord! grant me strength enough to keep myself aloof from those who are averse to Your worship, that I may refrain from hearing any other words than those that deal with You and Your eternal associates Glorious Deeds and that I may not behold even in dream those who disparage You and Your servants. O Lord of all the worlds! O killer of demons Madhu and Kaitabha (embodiments of karma-kanda and jnana-kanda)! May this be the result of my pious acts and of Your grace long desired for, that You may remember me as the servant of the servants of Your Lotus Feet.

O Lord! he who worships You only to serve his own motive is a trader and not Your servant. a devotee who serves You for his salvation or elevation; mundane acquisitions and amelioration’s ceases to be Your servant, and the Lord who confers blessings on His servants merely for lording it over them ceases to be the Lord or Master. But O Lord! I am Your eternal servant with no desire for elevation or salvation, and You are my Eternal Lord without any desire to Lord over me. Hence the relationship between you and me is absolutely pure and holy, unlike that of a king and his subject.

O Lord! I don’t crave for the salvation which wipes out the relationship that exists between master and servant in the life of devotion. I do not yearn for piety, wealth, passion or even freedom from bondage, but vouchsafe unto me O Lord! that I may be a particle of dust at Your and Your devotees Lotus feet. O Achyuta! the Lord of my heart! let thousands of births befall me, but may my heart ever cling to You and Your devotees Lotus Feet with steadfast single minded loving devotion.

The Lord on hearing this said that "Srila Murari Gupta" was aptly named "Murari Gupta" since the Supreme Lord Murari (Shri Krishna) was dwelling secretly in the innermost recess of his heart.

Srila Murari Gupta ji ki jai!

Srila Murari Gupta ji (Srila Hanumana ji), Srila Vaishnava Thakur ji! I have committed infinite number of SIN’s (selfish acts) in infinite life times; but still I am sure you will take care of me and give me Selfless Loving Devotional Service of Shri Hari Gurudeva and Vaishnavas.

Shri NAmashtakam by Srila Rupa Goswami

1. O Hari NAm! The tips of Your Lotus Feet have been eternally worshipped by the glowing radiance diffused from the jewelled chaplets of the Upanishads, the Crest-jewels of the Vedas. You are eternally adored and chanted by the liberated souls. O Hari NAm! Clearing myself of all offences, I entirely take shelter in You.

2. O Holy Name! All glory to You! as You are eternally chanted by the saints. To confer eternal bliss upon the people, You have appeared before them as the transcendental word. You destroy all sorts of terrible sufferings of him who happens to chant even Your dim reflection known as "NAmabhas".

3. O the sun of blessed Name! Even the slightest reflection of Your radiant self is sufficient to dispel the gloom of ignorance from the minds of those who are steeped in the foul sink of worldliness and to confer spiritual vision of pure devotion on those who are blind of inner sight. Who is there in the world so expert as to be able to sing Your glories to the finish?

4. O Holy Name ! the seeds of deeds which necessitate rebirth for their fruits to be reaped are not totally destroyed despite a persons realisation of oneness with Brahman by dint of constant meditation. However, O Hari NAm ! no sooner do you gain a free scope on the tongue of Your chanter than all the seeds of deeds of his previous as well as present births are destroyed. Such the Vedas loudly declare.

5. O killer of demon Agha ! O son of Yashoda ! O son of Nanda ! O Loyus - Eyed ! O moon of the Gopies ! O Lord of VrindAvana ! O merciful to the submissive ! O Krishna ! You have manifested Your Self in so many various forms out of Your infinite mercy ! Let my desire of love for You go on increasing uninterruptedly.

We have the constant and uninterrupted association of two great "Siksha Gurus / Vaishnavas".

All the living beings on the planet earth including the practising and perfected devotees are in the constant and uninterrupted association of two great Vaishnavas / Siksha Gurus, the God of Air and Wind (Vayu deva) and the Sun God (Surya or VivasvAn deva). These two Vaishnavas or Mahabhagvats (exalted devotees) always remind us of a very important teaching or instruction (siksha). Both of them provide all living beings equally with air and sun light without discriminating between the good, not so good and evil living beings. Therefore their benediction is for everyone without any discrimination. No wonder they are exalted devotees of Shri Krishna.

Shri Krishna Says:

Shrimad Bhagvad Gita 9.29

"I envy no one", nor am I partial to anyone. I am equal to all. But whoever renders service unto Me in devotion is my friend, and I am also a friend to him.

6. O Holy Name ! you have two forms, viz. Vachya (addressed, i.e. the transcendental personality Shri Krishna) and Vachaka (the addressing word, i.e. the transcendental word/sound or name, such as Krishna, Govinda, Gopala, Gopinath, Madan-Mohan and others). The Vachaka is one and the same with the Vachya. However to us, the Vachaka or the Holy Name of Shri Krishna is more compassionate than the Vachya. We, the fallen souls have offended against the Vachya or Shri Krishna because of our selfish desires, however as soon as we chant the Vachaka, keeping clear of the offences against the Holy Name, we are at once immersed in the blissful ocean of divine love.

We have the constant and uninterrupted association of two great "Siksha Gurus / Vaishnavas".

All the living beings on the planet earth including the practising and perfected devotees are in the constant and uninterrupted association of two great Vaishnavas / Siksha Gurus, the God of Air and Wind (Vayu deva) and the Sun God (Surya or VivasvAn deva). These two Vaishnavas or Mahabhagvats (exalted devotees) always remind us of a very important teaching or instruction (siksha). Both of them provide all living beings equally with air and sun light without discriminating between the good, not so good and evil living beings. Therefore their benediction is for everyone without any discrimination. No wonder they are exalted devotees of Shri Krishna.

Shri Krishna Says:

Shrimad Bhagvad Gita 9.29

"I envy no one", nor am I partial to anyone. I am equal to all. But whoever renders service unto Me in devotion is my friend, and I am also a friend to him.

Shrimad Bhagvatam 11.11.48

"O Uddhava ! pure single-minded devotion to Me is attainable only by the association with sadhus (pure devotees). I am the only object of refuge to the sadhus who love me more dearly than their own self. Without such holy association of the sadhus, it is impossible to attain pure single-minded devotion to Me. And without loving devotion to Me (obtained as a result of sadhu-sanga and sadhu-seva) it is impossible to cross over the material ocean of this world."

[This message has been edited by Arvindaksh das (edited 10-22-2001).]

7. O Holy Name ! O Krishna ! You destroy the offences of Your devotees who have taken absolute shelter in Your Lotus Feet. You are the very Self of the most delightful and pleasure giving, self-luminous infinite bliss. You are, O Holy name ! the very life of and reason for great joy of Gokula. O Krishna! I offer my humble obeisance time and again to You, the divine form of all charm and beauty in the fullest degree.

8. O Holy Name of Shri Krishna ! You are the very life of Narada’s vina and the ocean of spiritual nectar surcharged with the sweetest divine mellow of love. I surrender unto You, O Holy Name! May You ever reside on my tongue with the fullest fervour of divine love.

Shri Krishna replies to Uddhava’s question as to what is the true nature and meaning of yamah, niyamah, shamah, damah, titikshaa, dhritih, daanam, tapah, shaurya, satyam, shaucham, tyaagah, dhnam, ishtam, yajya, dakshinaa, balam, bhagah, laabhah, vidyaa, hrih, shrih, sukham, dhukam, panditah, murkha, panthaah, utpatha, svargha, narkah, bandhuh, griham, aadhyah, daridra, kripanah, ishvara Shrimad Bhagvatam 11.19.33-44:

Yamah (principles of discipline):

Non-violence, truthfulness, not coveting or stealing the property of others, detachment, humility, freedom from possessiveness, trust in the principles of religion, celibacy, silence, steadiness, forgiveness and fearlessness are the twelve primary disciplinary principles.

Niyamah (prescribed duties):

Internal cleanliness, external cleanliness, chanting the holy names of the Lord, austerity, sacrifice, faith, hospitality, worship of Me, visiting holy places, acting and desiring only for the supreme interest, satisfaction, and service to the spiritual teacher are the twelve elements of regular prescribed duties.

Shamah (mental equilibrium): Intelligence which brings steady faith in Me

Damah (self-control): Complete discipline of the senses

Titikshaa (tolerance): Patiently enduring unhappiness

Dhritih (steadiness): Conquering the tongue and genitals

Daanam (charity): To give up chastising or punishing others

Shri Guru Granth Sahib is concluded by a very devotional prayer (bhajan) whose main couplet (which is repeated after each stanza) is:

"gun govinda gayo nahi, janamu akarath kinu

kahu nanak hari bhaju manaa, jiha bidhi jala kau meena"

This translates: You have not sung the glories of Govinda, you have wasted your life. Nanak says, O mind! Worship Hari, just like a fish loves water (just as a fish can not live without water and desperately wants to be with water when kept out of it, so should be our mind when it thinks of anything else but service of Shri Hari)

continued ....

Daanam (charity): To give up chastising or punishing others.

Tapah / Tapasya (austerity): Renunciation of lust.

Shaurya (heroism): To conquer ones own nature.

Satya (truth): To see the Lord everywhere and in everything. The sages declare that the truth is also to be spoken in a pleasing way.

Shaucham (cleanliness): Detachment from ones karma or fruitive activities.

Continued ....

Shaucham (cleanliness): Detachment from ones karma or fruitive activities.

Tyaagah (renunciation): Sannyaas or to give up the thought that things belong to self except the selfless service of the Lord.

Dhanam (wealth): Devotional life (dharma) is the truly desirable and dearest wealth.

Yajya (sacrifice): The Supreme Lord (bhagvaan) Shri Krishna is yajya.

Dakshinaa (offerings in charity): Giving some one knowledge of truth or pure devotion.

Bhakti Rasamrita Sindhu by Srila Rupa Goswami:

"Anyaabhilashita-shunyam jnana-karmadi-anavritam

anukulyena krishna-anushilanam bhaktir uttama"

"Devoid of any desire other than unalloyed pure devotion of the Supreme Lord Shri Krishna, and free from all impurities of Jnana (knowledge) and Karma (social duty). Pure or highest devotion is one in which the devotee serves Shri Krishna’s desires and accepts what ever is favorable for His service."

Shri Krishna tells Udhava (Udhava Gita) in Shrimad Bhagvatam 11.20.31

"tasmaan mad-bhakti-yuktasya, yogino vai mad-aatmanah

na jnaanam na cha vairaagyam, praayah shreyo bhaved iha"

Therefore, for a devotee engaged in My loving devotional service, with mind and heart fixed in Me, knowledge (Jnaana) and renunciation (vairaagya) are not the means which are most beneficial or joy giving for him.