IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
livingentity

Why read Srila Prabhupada's Books?

Rate this topic

This was on another forum site and thought it should also be posted here.

Srila Prabhupada asked the devotee, 'can you quote the verse?' They could

not. Srila Prabhupada said, "Just see - you are not reading my books. You

have to read my books and you have to study and learn my books just like a

lawyer learns the law books. You must know everything chapter and verse.

If you do not know, how will you teach these men unless you know my books.

Every day you have to read my books. Do you know that every day even I read

my own books? Do you know why I read my books? I read my books everyday

because even I learn something new when I read them. Do you know why I

learn something new when I read my books? Because these books are not my

books - I do not write these books. Every morning when I sit here to write

my books Krsna comes personally and he dictates to me what to write, so I

simply take dictation from Krsna and I write these books. Therefore when I

read them even I learn something."

Years ago, Prabhupada's books were pretty much all that were available (although Dr. Kapoor's book was also around). Nowadays there are many things coming out, so it is really not necesary to refer to HDG's anymore. I know this is going to sound shocking and blasphemous to many here (although it is not intended to be a derogatory statement at all), especially the fanatics who think that HDG was the ONE and ONLY ambassador of the Gaudiya tradition outside of India (whatever).

I would recommend for any seekers of knowledge to shop around and to try at all costs to avoid texts that contain slander of Vaishnavas in them.

Although you are entitled to your opinion I started this thread based on the glory of Srila Prabhupada's writings and teachings. I did not start this thread for it to become another offensive thread of mundane garbage.

Please take your opinion elsewhere. This is not the time nor the place to post this.

Originally posted by Ananga:

Years ago, Prabhupada's books were pretty much all that were available (although Dr. Kapoor's book was also around). Nowadays there are many things coming out, so it is really not necesary to refer to HDG's anymore. I know this is going to sound shocking and blasphemous to many here (although it is not intended to be a derogatory statement at all), especially the fanatics who think that HDG was the ONE and ONLY ambassador of the Gaudiya tradition outside of India (whatever).

I would recommend for any seekers of knowledge to shop around and to try at all costs to avoid texts that contain slander of Vaishnavas in them.

The brähmaëas could understand the purpose of the Lord, and thus they suggested that He atone in a manner beneficial to them. They said, “Our dear Lord, there is a very powerful demon of the name Balvala. He is the son of Ilvala, and he visits this sacred place of sacrifice every fortnight on the full moon and moonless days and creates a great disturbance to the discharge of our duties in the sacrifice. O descendant of the Daçärha family, we all request You to kill this demon. We think that if You kindly kill him, that will be Your atonement on our behalf. The demon occasionally comes here and profusely throws upon us contaminated, impure things like pus, blood, stool, urine and wine; he pollutes this sacred place by showering such filth upon us. After killing Balvala, You may continue touring all the sacred places of pilgrimage for twelve months, and in that way You will be completely freed from all contamination. That is our prescription.”Krishna Book

Thank you Maitreya. I was searching for this myself and was happy to find it posted here when I came back.

Originally posted by Maitreya:

The brähmaëas could understand the purpose of the Lord, and thus they suggested that He atone in a manner beneficial to them. They said, “Our dear Lord, there is a very powerful demon of the name Balvala. He is the son of Ilvala, and he visits this sacred place of sacrifice every fortnight on the full moon and moonless days and creates a great disturbance to the discharge of our duties in the sacrifice. O descendant of the Daçärha family, we all request You to kill this demon. We think that if You kindly kill him, that will be Your atonement on our behalf. The demon occasionally comes here and profusely throws upon us contaminated, impure things like pus, blood, stool, urine and wine; he pollutes this sacred place by showering such filth upon us. After killing Balvala, You may continue touring all the sacred places of pilgrimage for twelve months, and in that way You will be completely freed from all contamination. That is our prescription.”Krishna Book

I find reading Zri Caitanya CaritAmrta outloud most enthusing.

Everytime you open it you can repeat/chant/sing those first 13 zlokas aloud.

Life on this planet is way too short to be studying one verse/day.

Once in New Dvarka PrabhupAd had us calculate:

"18,000 zlokas, 360 days/yr, how many years to finish?"

50 yrs to study only one book? Forget it!

CC surpasses Bhagavatam like a Jet surpasses a Schwinn.

I really prefer bicycling, but if I'm offered a plane ticket...

Posted Image

Originally posted by Tarun:

I find reading Zri Caitanya CaritAmrta outloud most enthusing.

Everytime you open it you can repeat/chant/sing those first 13 zlokas aloud.

Life on this planet is way too short to be studying one verse/day.

Once in New Dvarka PrabhupAd had us calculate:

"18,000 zlokas, 360 days/yr, how many years to finish?"

50 yrs to study only one book? Forget it!

CC surpasses Bhagavatam like a Jet surpasses a Schwinn.

I really prefer bicycling, but if I'm offered a plane ticket...

Years ago, Prabhupada's books were pretty much all that were available (although Dr. Kapoor's book was also around). Nowadays there are many things coming out, so it is really not necesary to refer to HDG's anymore.

Since you aren't a follow of Srila Prabhupada, you statement is pretty much meaningless. Its something like me saying we no longer need to read the Koran. Ummm, wake up! we never did read the Koran!

Originally posted by livingentity:

No leyh, it is not a cliche that Prabhupada is there in His books because He is there in His books, tapes etc etc. Because of this more and more people are continuing to find Krishna Consciousness even after all these years. Prabhupada's writings are powerful. I liked the original post in this thread because if there is any doubt about why we are to read Prabhupada's books that quote should erase it. I think I am going to print that quote out and place it where I can see it more often.

Dear living entity,I didn't say that it is a cliche that Prabhupada is there in His books.I said it "sounds" like a cliche because it has been repeated so many times that maybe people have forgotten how marvellous it is that Srila Prabhupada is actually THERE in his writings,waiting to PREACH to the whole human society.Just my humble opinion...

I understand leyh. I appreciate your welcome and positive input on this thread. Thank you. Posted Image

Originally posted by leyh:

Dear living entity,I didn't say that it is a cliche that Prabhupada is there in His books.I said it "sounds" like a cliche because it has been repeated so many times that maybe people have forgotten how marvellous it is that Srila Prabhupada is actually THERE in his writings,waiting to PREACH to the whole human society.Just my humble opinion...

I really don't get it how people here that consider Jahnava Nitai offensive, continue using his website not to only blast him at any ocassion that they get but to do their own propaganda.

If somebody is offensive, shouldn't that person leave the area to avoid hearing aparadha? Maybe even start their own website?

Thank you living entity for starting this nice thread about Srila Prabhupada's books. Posted Image

Originally posted by livingentity:

This was on another forum site and thought it should also be posted here.

Srila Prabhupada asked the devotee, 'can you quote the verse?' They could

not. Srila Prabhupada said, "Just see - you are not reading my books. You

have to read my books and you have to study and learn my books just like a

lawyer learns the law books. You must know everything chapter and verse.

If you do not know, how will you teach these men unless you know my books.

Every day you have to read my books. Do you know that every day even I read

my own books? Do you know why I read my books? I read my books everyday

because even I learn something new when I read them. Do you know why I

learn something new when I read my books? Because these books are not my

books - I do not write these books. Every morning when I sit here to write

my books Krsna comes personally and he dictates to me what to write, so I

simply take dictation from Krsna and I write these books. Therefore when I

read them even I learn something."

WOW!

Why read Srila Prabhupada's books?Because through them we can associate with him even when his physical presence is no longer around.I know it sounds like such a cliche,but Srila Prabhupada really does live on in his books.He continues to preach to me and th the whole human society through his books.

"The spiritual master lives forever by his divine instruction and the disciple lives with him." It is such a beautiful thing that because I have daily access to his words through the Internet and his books,there is not a single day when I do not have access to Srila Prabhupada.I do not dare to lay claim to discipleship,but still I am endeavouring to associate with Srila Prabhupada through his words...All Glories to Srila Prabhupada who has graciously written so many books for the whole world!

No leyh, it is not a cliche that Prabhupada is there in His books because He is there in His books, tapes etc etc. Because of this more and more people are continuing to find Krishna Consciousness even after all these years. Prabhupada's writings are powerful. I liked the original post in this thread because if there is any doubt about why we are to read Prabhupada's books that quote should erase it. I think I am going to print that quote out and place it where I can see it more often.

Originally posted by leyh:

Why read Srila Prabhupada's books?Because through them we can associate with him even when his physical presence is no longer around.I know it sounds like such a cliche,but Srila Prabhupada really does live on in his books.He continues to preach to me and th the whole human society through his books.

"The spiritual master lives forever by his divine instruction and the disciple lives with him." It is such a beautiful thing that because I have daily access to his words through the Internet and his books,there is not a single day when I do not have access to Srila Prabhupada.I do not dare to lay claim to discipleship,but still I am endeavouring to associate with Srila Prabhupada through his words...All Glories to Srila Prabhupada who has graciously written so many books for the whole world!

Transcendental literature that strictly follows the Vedic principles and the conclusion of the Puränas and päncarätrika-vidhi can be written only by a pure devotee. It is not possible for a common man to write books on bhakti, for his writings will not be effective. He may be a very great scholar and may be expert in presenting literature in flowery language, but this is not at all helpful in understanding transcendental literature. Even if transcendental literature is written in faulty language, it is acceptable if it is written by a devotee, whereas so-called transcendental literature written by a mundane scholar, even if it is a very highly polished literary presentation, cannot be accepted. The secret in a devotee’s writing is that when he writes about the pastimes of the Lord, the Lord helps him; he does not write alone. As stated in the Bhagavad-gitä (10.10), dadämi buddhi-yogaà taà yena mäm upayänti te. Since a devotee writes in service to the Lord, the Lord from within gives him so much intelligence that he sits down near the Lord and goes on writing books.From purport CC Adi 8.39

Our debt is to you Srila Prahupada.

Hare Krishna

Originally posted by Maitreya:

Transcendental literature that strictly follows the Vedic principles and the conclusion of the Puränas and päncarätrika-vidhi can be written only by a pure devotee. It is not possible for a common man to write books on bhakti, for his writings will not be effective. He may be a very great scholar and may be expert in presenting literature in flowery language, but this is not at all helpful in understanding transcendental literature. Even if transcendental literature is written in faulty language, it is acceptable if it is written by a devotee, whereas so-called transcendental literature written by a mundane scholar, even if it is a very highly polished literary presentation, cannot be accepted. The secret in a devotee?s writing is that when he writes about the pastimes of the Lord, the Lord helps him; he does not write alone. As stated in the Bhagavad-gitä (10.10), dadämi buddhi-yogaà taà yena mäm upayänti te. Since a devotee writes in service to the Lord, the Lord from within gives him so much intelligence that he sits down near the Lord and goes on writing books.From purport CC Adi 8.39

Our debt is to you Srila Prahupada.

Hare Krishna

Ananga:

From the above quote by Ananga it would appear that he/she is not seeking pure bhakti so much as an objective philosophical understanding of it. Anyone reading Srila Prabhupada's books will become a Krsna bhakta eventually, somehow or other, by the potency therein. His are not ordinary books as he was not an ordinary person.

Actions speak far louder than words and when both are powerfully in unison along with the Grace of God, miracles must happen. Those not looking for such in their lives may be best to avoid the books written by our acharya Srila AC Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada.

PrabhupAd's Books. What are PrabhupAd's Books?

Even this term PrabhupAd's Books has become a clichE = cliche'.

There's so many different ways to see/envision PrabhupAd's Books.

If you go to any Gaudiya Vaisnav temple you'll see they mainly worship and study 5 books:

1) Bhagavad-gIta

2) Zrimad BhAgavatam

3) Caitanya-BhAgavat

4) Caitanya-caritAmrta

5) Bhakti-rasAmrta-sindhu

They print, read, live and distribute these books mainly in Bengali, Hindi, Assamese, Oriyan.

What PrabhupAd did was extend his gurudev's and all the predecessor acaryas mercy to us English speakers.

We in turn translated, printed and further extended that mercy into Chinese, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Yugoslavian...

That's why , even if we disagree with our godbrothers, even if they're off on tattva, fell down, jumped down, leaped down, still we should recall that they all did something to spread MahAprabhu's mission worldwide.

They're still special souls.

PrabhupAd didn't do it alone.

He himself admitted several times, "My Guru Mhrj has sent you all to help me carry out his order."

He wasn't just bluffing or feeling humble.

He was speaking it as he saw it. As he taught us to see it.

Divine Grace means just that: Divine Help, Divine Assistance.

Originally posted by atma:

I really don't get it how people here that consider Jahnava Nitai offensive, continue using his website not to only blast him at any ocassion that they get but to do their own propaganda.

If somebody is offensive, shouldn't that person leave the area to avoid hearing aparadha? Maybe even start their own website?

Thank you living entity for starting this nice thread about Srila Prabhupada's books. Posted Image

Dear Atma,

I will try to answer these questions to the best of my ability. I know it is off the topic of the thread, but since you raised it here I hope that the readers will excuse us both and forgive the interruption.

I cannot answer for anyone but myself. I am not out to 'blast' anyone at every chance I get. JNdas has kindly provided a place for gentle discussion of spiritaul topics. He is doing a valuable service in that regard and I thank him wholeheartedly for his sincere efforts and time.

The recent rash of offense talk was triggered by a thread started by Brahma dasa for the purpose of discussing the ideas presented in the GALVA web site. All of the posts are available for all to read and judge for themselves what is what.

My problem with JNdas and some of his posts is that he chose to villify my spiritual guide and call him a pretender based on limited information on his part and his perceptions based on the philosophical issues being discussed. There is no substance to his accusations and they are certainly offensive. Tripurari Swami joined the mission of Srila Prabhupada in the early 70's and has been a exemplary devotee from the very beginning. When others could not distribute Srila Prabhupada's books he found a way. In fact, Prabhupada was so pleased with him that he called him the incarnation of book distribution. When Tripurari Swami found in Sridhara Maharaja the same pure teachings and devotion that he had found in A.C. Bhaktivedanta and was told to leave Iskcon if he persisted in following his heart. He chose to follow his heart and the orders of his spiritual masters. Tripurari Swami is well respected by leading members of all Gaudiya Vaishnava missions following the teachings of Bhaktivinoda Thakur as presented by Srila Bhakisiddhanta Saraswati. Beyond that he is a wonderfully humble and exemplary vaishnava. Now, you may say as JNdas has, that I am his follower and I am blind - and there is some truth to that, but just as Arjuna did in the Bhagavad-gita when he accepted Krsna as Sri Bhagavan and cited other autorities and their opinions, I am leaving it to all here to decide for themselves not on my testimony but I will cite others for you as well. A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami said of Tripurari Swami:

Nov. 12, 1974 Srila Prabhupada writes to H.H. Swami Tripurari,

"Organize freely. You are the incarnation of book distribution. So

take the leadership and do the needful."

Sridhara Maharaja gave all his blessing unto Tripurari Swami and requested him to preach and make disciples. Many, many of Maharaja's god brothers respect him deeply and know him to be and exemplary Vaishnava. Some of the stalwart Vaishnava's that he is closely associated with are Narasingha Maharaja, Swami B.V. Vishnu Swami, and Paramdvaiti Maharaja. I live in southern California and attend programs with Giriraja Swami on a fairly regular basis. He has expressed his appreciation for Tripurari Swami to me on numerous occasions. The list could go on, but I hope that the readers here get the gist of this - Maharaja is an exemplary Vaishnava and should not be slandered.

Now on a philosophical level we should all know that if we are chanting and tears are not coming to our eyes it is because of offenses. I am in the offensive stage myself. I am trying, by practice and keeping good company to move beyond it, but I am also honest about my own position. My own view of JNdas is that he is sincere and trying to make advancement. Because he made offensive statements due to limited knowledge and ignorance doesn't change that. We all make mistakes. When we recognize them, we try to atone for them. I have hope for all of us. Many devotees were harmed by false propaganda against Sridhara Maharaja and harbored ill will toward him and those who chose to follow him. I am one of them. I have realized the problem within myself in that regard and I pray whole heartedly for forgiveness.

I disagree with JNdas regarding Bhakti Caru Swami's apology to Tripurari Swami. His apology was heart felt and sincere, not politically motivated as alluded to by JNdas. I have known Bhakti Caru Swami for over 20 years and I have always found him to be a very gentle, humble vaishnava. He made a mistake, recognized it, publicly apologized for it and moved on. That is wonderful exemplary Vaishnava behavior.

Please be very clear on this point, I am not asking anyone here to submit themselves for guidance as I have to Tripurari Swami. I am pointing out that it is wrong to villify a devotee who has dedicated his life to preaching the message of Lord Chaitanya and spreading the glories of the Holy Name. We will all choose for our guides those who move our hearts and that is as it should be. We must be careful that in doing so we don't become fanatic and offend others who have chosen differently from ourselves. Krsna is unlimited and has the ability to present himself to each of us in the appropriate way to attract us. We should be happy that there are so many wonderful Vaishnava's that are so devoted that they can inspire devotion in others.

We are all called to share ourselves and our realizations with others. That you see this as propaganda is fine, really. Everyone has an agenda. Our only hope is to find someone whose only agenda is to serve Krsna and then make our agenda his or her service. We should all encourage each other in this regard, that is what we all need.

I hope I have not offended anyone by my response. I also pray and hope that in some small way I can be of some help in facilitating and encouraging the celebration of unity in diversity.

Your servant,

Audarya lila dasa

OK. I deliberately made this topic incendiary, because sometimes that is what I do: To provoke an emotional reaction.

Now, let me make the point a bit clearer for everyone. Mahaprabhu's tradition is not, and never was, a guru cult. Yes, there is a unique role that a Vaishnava guru fulfills. No argument there. However, when individuals distort the tradition and put all of the focus on a guru (i.e. theirs), then there are a number of negative things that happen. First of all, to outsiders it clearly is just another fanatical and potentially dangerous cult. Secondly, the situation merely sets the stage for unqualified people to step into the role of guru and then (because of the overinflated political status that has been accorded that role on account of the above distortion) abuse the power they have.

Whether or not I am personally a follower of Prabhupada does not really matter with regard to this issue. I would have to say that I am a better follower than those that think they are followers, but that have done a great disservice to Mahaprabhu's tradition by this propagation of the guru cult.

I apologize for offending some people here, but I felt that I needed to get their attention somehow.

There are plenty of other authors that make a very good presentation of the tradition, and a sincere seeker will find the path by reading their works. So, please stop being fanatical about one author's books.

So you have this sentiment (and a noble one). And that is fine and is no doubt going to be an asset to you spiritually. But, when you take it to extremes, then it is going to be detrimental in many ways.

There is a clear cut etiquette in the Gaudiya community about speaking of one's guru in public. One is not supposed to go around making this big deal about their guru's accomplishments, out of respect for the feelings of those who have a different guru. This etiquette is there for a reason. Please observe it, or perhaps you should go find some other tradition to follow.

[This message has been edited by Ananga (edited 09-10-2001).]

There is a clear cut etiquette in the Gaudiya community about speaking of one's guru in public. One is not supposed to go around making this big deal about their guru's accomplishments...

The ettiquete established in our line is that one does not mention the guru's name in public without folding his hands above his head and prefacing the name with "om vishnupada paramahamsa..." The guru is factually great. To identify this truth is not an offense to others.

Nov. 12, 1974 Srila Prabhupada writes to H.H. Swami Tripurari,

"Organize freely. You are the incarnation of book distribution. So

take the leadership and do the needful."

Are we to take these words of Srila Prabhupada as mere encouragement or literally verbatim, the way we choose to accept so many other things he said? Similar words were said to other devotees and `gurus` who subsequently `fell down`, is it not true? What should we make of all this?

Here's how I see it, prabhus. Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu's Sankirtan Movement has barely just begun. Prabhupada has captured and will continue to capture so many troops worldwide, to be used in this divine mission. Isn't it possible that he actually saw/sees our real identities and roles? It may take many more generations and individual rebirths for all the forces to assemble fully and our roles to become perfected, but the process has clearly begun!

Now is the time to keep and build faith in our true identities, individually and collectively. Anyone who is attracted in any way has been sent to us. All are of some potential benefit. It is our responsibility to sort everything out and somehow UNIFY! I'm sure that each of us can try a little harder in that regard/respect...valaya