IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

My First Experiment With Saffron Pudding

Rate this topic

Ok, I got the recipe for Saffron Pudding, and it is very easy to make. First I’ll give you the instructions and then I’ll explain my thoughts on the first experiment I made.

Saffron Pudding

Ingredients:

2 cups of whipping cream

1/2 cup whole milk

A pinch of good quality saffron (I crushed mine)

1/2 cup sugar

Directions:

Combine all ingredients and boil until thick, stirring continuously. Chill, offer, and then serve as a topping or on its own.

Now my comments. My first time making Saffron Pudding and it came out very good. Is it any wonder this would be the greatest sweet ever? Think about it, Whip cream, Saffron, and sugar, boiled down. How can you possibly go wrong Posted Image

Now here is where I went slightly wrong. The directions say boil until thick (but for how long, and how thick?). I boiled mine for about 20 minutes (with constant stirring), which was perhaps 3 or 4 minutes too long. My saffron pudding became REALLY thick. I chilled it, and it tasted great. However, Saffron pudding is like a dipping sweet (you can dip burfi, sandesh, rasagulla etc… into it). It is soft and silky and is meant to melt in your mouth on contact. My saffron pudding was solid, almost like burfi, so there was no way to dip burfi into it Posted Image

Luckily, I bought plenty of whipping cream. So I will be trying out other experiments Posted Image

Gauracandra

Note: This is whipping cream not whipped cream (not the stuff that comes in an aerosol can).

[This message has been edited by Gauracandra (edited 09-02-2001).]

Actually I think this must be the base version. As I'm almost positive I remembered rose essence was supposed to be in it as well (interesting you mentioned it). But I wanted to start off small and then work my way up. If you create it, let it boil down, but let it stay somewhat liquidy interms of being VERY soft. Thats how its meant to be. I'm going to make my next batch tomorrow morning.

Gauracandra

You won't be able to blame the detergent anymore for your tight clothes. Continue eating all that cream, whole milk and sugar and your waistline will expand beyond measure. I guess that you'll have to walk an awful lot to burn the fatty calories. Good luck Posted Image

BTW, you can roast a little bit the saffron before you put the milk. All the color comes out. Just be careful because burn very easily.

Com'n - everybody knows that cream, whole milk and sugar do not make you fat!! This is obviously a low-cal receipe - right Gauracandra? Posted ImagePosted Image

Originally posted by atma:

You won't be able to blame the detergent anymore for your tight clothes. Continue eating all that cream, whole milk and sugar and your waistline will expand beyond measure. I guess that you'll have to walk an awful lot to burn the fatty calories. Good luck Posted Image

BTW, you can roast a little bit the saffron before you put the milk. All the color comes out. Just be careful because burn very easily.

Absolutely LivingEntity. By the way, here is my theory. Say you eat 1 pound of Saffron pudding. According to the law of conservation of energy, the most weight you can put on is 1 pound. Now isn't that worth it. Plus, by nature some will be burned off, and some will be waste. Thus maybe 1 pound of saffron pudding only puts on half a pound in weight. Whatta bargain Posted Image

Gauracandra

PS You might want to boil the ingredients in a deep pot just to prevent boiling over. I did it this way and it worked well (had the heat on full blast and only had to turn it down a few times). But make sure you stir constantly. Tomorrows batch I am going to consciously make it liquidy, maybe even too liquidy. When it cools it will naturally firm up a bit.

Actually, you will be burning off calories before and during the cooking process. It takes energy to gather the ingredients and then all that stirring - well... you burn off half a pound before you even eat it so guess what? You don't gain anything!! Posted Image

Disclaimer: this applies only to the cook - all others will gain according to input.

Originally posted by Gauracandra:

Absolutely LivingEntity. By the way, here is my theory. Say you eat 1 pound of Saffron pudding. According to the law of conservation of energy, the most weight you can put on is 1 pound. Now isn't that worth it. Plus, by nature some will be burned off, and some will be waste. Thus maybe 1 pound of saffron pudding only puts on half a pound in weight. Whatta bargain Posted Image

Gauracandra

[This message has been edited by livingentity (edited 09-02-2001).]

What about saffron pudding made out of caramel from condensed milk? Just boil it half of the normal time and add the saffron. No need of adding sugar to that. Less calories Posted Image

For tomorrow's batch just boil everything only 10 minutes and I think you'll have the right consistensy.

I have to go, they started serving prasada. Today is Sunday feast. That subji full of cheese is waiting for me. Posted Image

When boiling down the mixture, you can take samples every so often, letting them cool. Then different textures and cooking times can be compared all from the same batch. There goes your excuse for making endless quantities just to experiment! Of course, there's still the flavouring to consider...

I have a tummy ache just thinking about saffron pudding, after reading the recipe. I admire your strength of spirit, Gaurachandra, and I must say I am feeling a wee bit envious.

Living entity I just read your email and I know that your tummy ache is from laughing so hard. Did you get up off the floor yet?

It's not easy being the town idiot! Posted Image I think I feel another divine revelation coming on! Posted Image

Originally posted by JRdd:

Living entity I just read your email and I know that your tummy ache is from laughing so hard. Did you get up off the floor yet?

Well you know, first you scoop it out. Then as it first touches your mouth, it immediately starts to dissolve. This then covers all the taste buds which become activated. The taste surges through the synapses of the brain, the sugar pours through one's veins. This takes one to dizzying heights and before passing out, one realizes the need for another fix. So you start the process over. First you scoop it out.... before long the whole preparation is over and done with. Then you slowly lower yourself to the ground, so you don't injure yourself from such a high elevation. Rest, recuperate, and then continue with your day.

Posted Image

Gauracandra

Posted Image My turn my turn! I gotta make some sssssoooooooonnnnnn! Posted Image

Well you know, first you scoop it out. Then as it first touches your mouth, it immediately starts to dissolve. This then covers all the taste buds which become activated. The taste surges through the synapses of the brain, the sugar pours through one's veins. This takes one to dizzying heights and before passing out, one realizes the need for another fix. So you start the process over. First you scoop it out.... before long the whole preparation is over and done with. Then you slowly lower yourself to the ground, so you don't injure yourself from such a high elevation. Rest, recuperate, and then continue with your day.

Posted Image

Gauracandra

Well I hope you will also describe it as generously as GC did as this is about the closest I am coming to that, at least in this current body. Unless someone puts it in front of me of course.

For JRdd:

O.K. prabhu, in case you don't have this recipe for a simple `healthier` pudding, here 'tis. Makes a good pie filling as well (fits store-bought graham crust). Use your imagination with flavorings, this just gives some idea.

1/2c. semolina cooked briefly in 2c. boiling water (stir constantly)

8oz. tofu

3/4-1c. sucanet

1/4tsp. salt

1/4c. cocoa + 1/2tsp. instant coffee OR

Approx. 1/3c. carob powder + one banana

Blend everything in blender or Vitamix(highly recommended)

Let cool in fridge a few hours.

Offer, then consume without guilt...

Living Entity be careful though when eating saffron pudding. I'd suggest putting pillows and padding all over the floor in case you get dizzy from all the sweetness. Or better yet, lie down as you take it. I take no responsibility for any harm that may come to a person taking saffron pudding. Use at your own risk Posted Image

Gauracandra

Posted Image

Gauracandra

The whole preparation??? Maybe you should try adding 1/4-1/2c. of unsalted butter!

Okay that does sound good, Valaya. If one pretends one did not read the rest of this thread. I will try it! But I was kind of hankering after some bonafide intoxication.

Posted Image