IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Jagat

Japa walking

Rate this topic

Wondering if anyone has any commments on the following:

<h3>The Quality of Chanting - Solution?</h3>

By Cakra Pani das

Since the spiritual health of individuals and our organizations are very intimate connected with the quality of chanting the Holy Names of Sri Krishna, I would like to introduce a new technique of chanting the Maha Mantra, which has proved to be quite potential for a beginner like I am. It is a technique of how to focus the mind on the Holy Name without giving him the chance of "spacing out", of wandering away into the countless subjects he is normally involved in.

We could call it the Swastika - Method since it is based on a parikrama - path that has very much the dynamic form of a swastika. We see often a similar technique used by devotees who walk in a circle around a tulasi plant, while chanting the holy name. I did this by my self many times in the early morning hours, in order to stay awake, but very soon I found my self in the dream world far away from the Holy Name although I was totally awake. So now try to imagine: Instead of walking in a circle, you walk on a pathway in form of a square around the tulasi plant. And whenever you have reached a corner, you stop walking until you have finished the full sequence Maha Mantra: Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna, Krishna, Hare, Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama, Rama, Hare, Hare. And then by this last Hare you turn around 90 degrees and continue to walk slowly towards the next corner, and continue your chanting.

Like this, it almost impossible to space out, since you are only allowed to continue the walk, when you have reached the end of the Maha Mantra. Otherwise you simply stay in your corner, but very soon you will figure out that your mind has gone somewhere else. You can further intensify this method, by posting a Maha Mantra on the end of each walking direction. Or you can do it just on two corners and, in order to brake the circle of your mind, you try it on the two other corners without the postings.

So if you have problems chanting the Holy Name, just try this simple method, and very easily you will dive into the Nectar Ocean of the Holy Name.

Happy Chanting

http://www.chakra.org/articles/2001/08/19/chanting/index.htm

Originally posted by Jagat:

It is a technique of how to focus the mind on the Holy Name without giving him the chance of "spacing out", of wandering away into the countless subjects he is normally involved in.

This "spacing out" is

the natural sequel

to "counting".

Now a technique

to overcome it

One technique over another

The flutter of clutter

over the Holy Name

Without craft

Artlessly

Kiss only the Name

Kiss only the Name

Simply by speaking

the Truth alone

the liar is turned from shame.

innumerate

talasiga@hotmail.com

Our connection is EMOTIONAL, not TECHNICAL! PERSONAL not IMPERSONAL! Strong feelings keep us awake and if not, well perhaps it's time for a nap...

[This message has been edited by amanpeter (edited 08-21-2001).]

Whatever works for focusing the mind on Krsna. Bhaktivinoda Thakur recommended putting a bag over your head in Hari-nama Cintamani. Generally, it is recommended to sit in a quiet place and chant. A place where we know we won't be disturbed. In the Bhagavad-gita it is recommended to sit in the forest on a high seat of kusha grass. The high seat may be recommended here so that the meditator won't be disturbed by bugs or small animals on the forest floor.

Your servant,

Audarya lila dasa

I never thought I would ever refer to this book again. This is from a book I translated a few years ago. Le monde de Mikal

• Enlightened "walking"

Of all the practices that lead to enlightenment, meditation in the zazen posture described above is the most popular.

I would like, however, to introduce another basic Zen practice, namely the upright walking position called "kinhin." This particular position allows one to practice meditation while moving. It consists of walking clockwise in a circle as part of a single file of practitioners.

Each member of the group walks slowly and calmly along an established path. The forward movement is rhythmic, alternating regularly between tension and relaxation. As with zazen, this meditative movement also leads to a very high quality of concentration. For this reason, the two positions are alternated during a day of intensive practice.

The Master Taisen Deshimaru gives a clear and detailed description of the kinhin method of practice:

"Stand upright, holding the spine straight, the chin tucked in, the nape of the neck rigid, the gaze fixed at a point three metres in front of you, i.e., at about the height of the waist of the person standing in front of you in line. The left thumb should be held tightly in the left fist, which is held flat against the solar plexus. The right hand is wrapped around the left fist and the two hands held tightly together and placed against the sternum during exhalation. The forearms are held horizontally with the elbows kept away from the ribs. The shoulders should be relaxed and held back. As you exhale, you should take half a step forward with the right foot, pressing down energetically on the sole of the foot, at the base of the big toe, as though you want to leave a footprint in the soil. There is an important connection between the extremity of the foot and the brain. It is desirable to feel the contact with the earth. The knee should be held rigid and the entire leg as well as the rest of the right side of the body from the top of the head to the tips of the toes should be tensed. Meanwhile, the other side of the body should be kept fluid and relaxed.

"While making this movement, exhale slowly and completely for as long as possible, taking care not to force the breath or make any sound. When the exhalation is complete, stop for a moment, relaxing the entire body and allowing the inhalation to take place freely, automatically. At the beginning of the next exhalation, change legs, and repeat the entire procedure with the left foot while keeping the right side relaxed and fluid... While walking in this way, you should not look at the faces of the other people in the group. You should rather be looking within, just as though you were all alone. As with zazen meditation, you should just let your thoughts pass over you."

• Enlightened movement

Here is what Mikal has to say (following B. Baudoin in the work already cited) on the subject of the movement which helps attain the minimum consciousness needed for enlightenment:

"Another significant attitude which is specific to Zen teaching is that which is named ‘the spirit of the act' or zanshin. Literally, the word zanshin means the spirit which remains, without becoming attached -- the mind that remains in a state of vigilance.

"Zanshin consists in being fully conscious of the action in which you are engaged, even while remaining aware of the one that is to follow. It is a kind of mental training in which one learns to concentrate on one's acts.

"What is really of interest in this demeanour of mindfulness is that it can be put into practice at every moment of our daily lives -- even as we perform such ordinary, anodyne acts as opening a door, eating a meal, picking up some object, carrying a bag, driving a car, or playing ping-pong. In each case, it is important to fix the mind on what you are doing, to maintain a maximal flow of energy in the act being performed, even while remaining ready for any unexpected event which may require immediate response.

"Zanshin is a particularly rewarding application of Zen, as it involves every act in a person's life."

This last technique, of Jagat's translation, sounds like a fully alert state. I agree with Audaryalila that whatever it takes, but I more agree with Valaya in heart over mechanics. That's what we're strivng for anyway, but I guess the two go hand in hand along the way, ala the way of sadhana.

I have had to make one room in my new place be only a temple room, in hopes that that will trigger off the feeling in me that in here, I can chant, and I keep the busy stuff in other rooms like sewing, computer, videos, but I will let myself paint in this temple room. I have now put up a thin white veil of curtains over the arch leading from kitchen to temple room to further the separation of this room from the rest of the house, and let them down this morning and it did seem to help. but I am pretty much almsot a hopeless case on concentrating, so am appreciating this thread and its practical suggestions. I look at paintings or the Deities while I chant and this helps.

Originally posted by Jagat:

"Zanshin consists in being fully conscious of the action in which you are engaged, even while remaining aware of the one that is to follow. It is a kind of mental training in which one learns to concentrate on one's acts.

This mindfullness is important in the practice of sadhana-bhakti as well.One example:As we form the intention of visiting the Temple for darshan we become mindfull that we are cleaning and dressing ourselves for appearing before the Lord.Maintaining that mindfullness as we decide on what offering we will bring.As we approach the temple we allow our self to appreciate the efforts that others have offered to maintain such a holy place.Upon entering the temple door we may lightly knock or ring the bell to announce our arrival to the Deities, we think of Them.Same with bowing down and every other action there.Especially hearing the mantra while circumambulating the temple as an offering of respect to the Lord Who dwells within.

Not allowing oneself to become overly familiar with the surroundings so as to fall into rote performance.If we are not careful it is easy to fall into a sleep walking state as we go through the motions of our practice.

May our walk back into the presence of Krishna be a swift one.

Hare Krishna

Chanting japa we gently finger each unique bead of our mala, 108 gopis here to help us realize our connection with Goloka. Srila Narayan Maharaj suggests we think of Radha crying in separation while chanting japa. Are we not also in separation along with our 108 gopi friends? What can we offer to Radha and these dear gopis here with us in the form of prayer beads except:

HARE KRSNA HARE KRSNA

KRSNA KRSNA HARE HARE

HARE RAMA HARE RAMA

RAMA RAMA HARE HARE

For us it may seem only a mantra, a technique, but for them it is water in the desert, Krsna Himself. We can help quench their thirst!

We chant for Radhika and the other suffering gopis of Vraja. We chant for the devotees here, also hurting in separation. We chant for those who are lost in this world, for in this separation we become one with all.

In other words we merge our pitiful little selves, through empathy and higher understanding, into a greater larger self and purpose. Forgeting about trying to perfect some technique in order to escape our own painful misery, we surrender ourselves to the Holy names in eternal slavery with the residents of Goloka Vrndavan, accepting their pain as our own.

Thinking and feeling like this, even a little, we can lose ourselves in the Holy Names and enter a whole different perspective. JAI SRI RADHE!

"Like this, it almost impossible to space out, since you are only allowed to continue the walk, when you have reached the end of the Maha Mantra. Otherwise you simply stay in your corner, but very soon you will figure out that your mind has gone somewhere else. You can further intensify this method, by posting a Maha Mantra on the end of each walking direction. Or you can do it just on two corners and, in order to brake the circle of your mind, you try it on the two other corners without the postings.

So if you have problems chanting the Holy Name, just try this simple method, and very easily you will dive into the Nectar Ocean of the Holy Name."

I am sure the author means well, but it seems very rigid to me. He speaks about not spacing out, but I would space out for sure after a while, walking around like that.

"This "spacing out" is

the natural sequel

to "counting".

Now a technique

to overcome it

One technique over another

The flutter of clutter

over the Holy Name

Without craft

Artlessly

Kiss only the Name

Kiss only the Name

Simply by speaking

the Truth alone

the liar is turned from shame."

That was very beautiful. I especially liked "Kiss only the Name". Thank you.

If a person really falls asleep while doing nama-bhajana, then isn´t it better he goes to sleep? And later wake up and chant with a fresh mind.

It may also be boredom. If there is no real feeling for chanting Radha-Krishna´s Names, then one might fall asleep because it gets boring. The mind wanders in other directions (sense enjoyment, reading a book, smoking some ganja, watching tv, or whatever it is you like to do).

Where does one get a glimpse of the Beauty of Radha-Krishna´s Nama and Their lilas? In the presence of a person who is a member of Their "family". Then affection for Radha-Krishna Nama will appear naturally. Because the Divine Couple and everything that relates to Them will be the most important thing in that person´s life. It is most desirable to get the mercy of such a realized soul.

Am I getting too excited now? LOL

[This message has been edited by premananda (edited 08-23-2001).]

Originally posted by premananda:

That was very beautiful. I especially liked "Kiss only the Name". Thank you.

Dear Premananda,

I am glad you liked it.

I am expressing a relative position

with an absolute sentiment

Please give my warm regards

to Vegavan Das and Padmavati DeviDasi

from the Coconut King of Carlton

------------------

talasiga@hotmail.com

A general question on the topic, was Srila Bhaktisiddhanta the first to walk while performing Japa? I have not heard of this practice outside of GM and was otherwise only aware of the walking meditation of Zen monks, which Jagat pointed out.

Has anyone noticed that pious Jews praying holding their philacteries at the Wailing Wall look very much like some western Japa chanters?

Has anyone noticed that pious Jews praying holding their philacteries at the Wailing Wall look very much like some western Japa chanters?

Is that (philacteries) the little black box that orthodox Jews put on their forehead as they pray at the Wailing Wall? If not, I'd be curious what the significance of that black box is.

Gauracandra