IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

The Simple Power of Example

Rate this topic

I was talking with an Indian friend two days back and he told me how he came into Krsna Consciousness. He explained how this one devotee used to preach to him. However, it wasn't the verses that convinced him. He saw how in a practical manner this devotee carried himself and led his life. He was very impressed by this and this is what convinced him.

I think this is why Srila Prabhupada was so successful. People saw a simple person who actually believed in Krsna and led his own life by what he taught. Srila Prabhupada was a brahmachari, a grhasta, a vanaprasta, and a sannyasi. He lived what he said. He preached tirelessly and the reason it worked was because it wasn't theoretical for him. He actually practiced his vows and austerities. He factually lived a life devoted to God.

So the easiest way to push on this movement is to first purify oneself. If we are shinning examples of what a servant of Radha and Krsna is, then people will be immediately attracted. Purity of purpose is so rare in this world. This is why when we can just give to others, never expecting anything in return, then people become attracted. I once heard a devotee explain what Srila Prabhupada said about his management philosophy. Basically he said "Everyone who is a manager wants to tell people 'you do this, you do that'. But the secret is first get them to love you and then they will do everything automatically without you having to tell them anything." This is paraphrased of course. If we are examples of love, then that love will be reciprocated by all others. This is the true key to success. This is what it means to be 'Audarya'.

Gauracandra

Yes, Srila Prabhupada is the founder acharya of Iskcon. You can find some nice links in the DragonSearch directory under 'saints and gurus', one in particular called "Srila Prabhupada's Life" is good. The initial page just has a bunch of little blue boxes. If you click on each box it will give you a description. I think it should answer any questions you may have.

Gauracandra