IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
jijaji

Sri Krishna and His Raas Lila

Rate this topic

Sri Krishna and His Raas Lila

Raas Lila with Gopis and Radha, the milkmaids of Vrindavan

From International Forum for Neovedantins

Raas Lila forms the most enchanting and the most devotional play (Lila) of Sri Krishna. It depicts the supersensual love between milkmaids (Gopis) of Vrindavan and Sri Krishna. However, it must be remembered that child Krishna was just about ten years of age at that time. All this love for Gopis in general and Radha in particular should be seen as divine love between atman and paramatman, without any physical or carnal element. We human beings may not understand the celestial beauty and spiritual content of such love between a man and a woman, but it is not the fault of Sri Krishna or the Gopis; we must blame ourselves if we see the whole episode with impure mind, if we get feeling of attraction between flesh and flesh in this Lila.

Sri Krishna now started going to forest regularly with his cows. As the cows grazed in the loneliness of forest, Sri Krishna would play most melodious tunes on his flute. The clear skies, soft breeze, and newly blossomed tress with lush green foliage made the atmosphere pleasant, enchanting and cool. Peace, bliss, and love exuded all around. The Gopis (milkmaids of Vrindavan) were captivated by the sweet melody of Krishna's flute, unable to control their feelings towards Him. Forgetting their household duties, their children and husbands, these youthful lovers of Sri Krishna rushed to forest to have the company of their beloved. [This is known as relationship of a devotee with the attitude where the Lord is 'sweetheart'; Madhur Bhava as it is called.] Their heart and mind was occupied with the virtues of the Lord of the Universe, Paramatman Krishna. Praising the beauty and love of Sri Krishna, the Gopis were immersed in His Bhakti in its highest manifestation - para bhakti - where union of Atman with Paramatman was the goal sought. Body, mind, and thoughts vanished even while in body; transcendental joy and bliss was all that mattered. What to talk of Gopis and Radha (best amongst the Gopis), even the trees and shrubs, flowers and leaves, birds and animals all surrendered themselves to the sweet music of captivating flute. Hence, Sri Krishna is also known as 'Muralidhar' (One holding the Flute).

Evenings changed into nights, the full moon spreading its bright but pleasant light to make the night shine with gaiety and desire to unite. Sri Krishna with a peacock feather in his hair, adoring the loveliest yellow silk cloth on his beautiful celestial dark body, the flute kissing his rosy lips, and the gracious dance that he performed, all this was beyond the grasp of any mortal on the earth. The Gopis oblivious to the time of day rushed to the Tulasi (Sweet basil) Grove to meet Sri Krishna in this prime mood of Love.

Then the divine Raas Lila would to be enacted. The leader amongst the Gopis, Radha by name, the most beautiful and greatest exponent of Madhur Bhava, Love Power of Lord Krishna, losing her ordinary consciousness would start dancing in tune with Chitchor (one who has stolen the mind and heart - another name of Sri Krishna). Other Gopis would encircle this divine pair and thus would the Lila continue whole night. [it still continues night after every night in Vrindavan, and Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, Vallabhacharya, Surdas and a few more saints and Holy people have had visions of these Raas Lilas at Vrindavan in their lives).

Heavens and earth would come to standstill; gods and demigods of heaven - kinnaras, gandharvas, and yakshas - would enjoy Raas Lila peeping down from their abode in the high sky. They would fill the grove with fragrance of celestial freshness and sweetness of heavenly music, while stars and the moon would stop in their orbit in awe and joy, becoming brighter and cooler to allow Raas Lila to reach its peak of eternal bliss.

However, this supernatural delight brought feeling of superiority and pride in the hearts and minds of the Gopis. "Why, the Lord Himself is dancing with me. Has anyone else such a fortune? Others are inferior to me", so would think a Gopi. And to rectify this defect of vanity and pride, Sri Krishna would vanish for a moment! The restless Gopis would search Him here and there, running from one tree to another, from one shrub to the next, inquiring 'have you seen my Krishna? Please tell me where he has disappeared.' And when the pangs of separation would become too unbearable, the Gopis would cry and lament:

"O my friend, please arrange my meeting with Him, I cannot stay alive without Him. Where has He gone? What wrong have I done that He now no more loves me? I have given everything to Him, and now how shall I survive! My body, mind, emotions, thoughts, home and children, husband and family I have sacrificed in his favor. O my friend, bring Him to me; otherwise this life force is sure to leave from my heart. Bring Him to me or take me to Him; I shall wash His feet with tears from my eyes, I shall clean his feet with my long hair. I shall do everything and anything that might appear impossible for a human being. These pangs of separation are no more possible to tolerate, don't you feel my skin is dry and parched, burning in the separation from the Beloved! Don't you see my eyes have lost their entire luster, my breath is irregular, my mind is not steady, and my heart is pounding in fear! O friend, have you seen my Krishna!"

Such and many more songs are composed in the Vaishnava tradition of literature in India, which bring tear to every eye, which express the pang of separation as writhing of heart like a wet towel. From medieval time to this date, scores are songs are composed, ballet and dramas enacted, with wonderful description of Raas Lila. From Kashmir in the north to Kanyakumari in the south, from Dwaraka in the West to Manipur in the east music is played in all Vaishnava temples with madhur bhava as the main ingredient eulogizing this 'out of the world' feat of Sri Krishna and Radha.

No one has captured the heart and mind of the masses with such fervour as Sri Krishna has. Not for nothing, He is the most adored deity in His many varied and beautiful divine forms. In his gesture of supreme love towards Radha and Radha's love for Him, Sri Krishna blessed her thus: 'O Radha, for centuries to come people would take your name first and then mine.' And thus devotees chant 'Radhe Krishna; Radhe Krishna', in ecstasy of madness; Radhe Krishna having become the Mantra for Final Liberation!

C. S. Shah

Posted Image

------------------

PEACE NOW

[This message has been edited by jijaji (edited 07-24-2001).]

Hi,

That was a wonderful posting.I always like to see the krishna forum to see what are the wonderful postings on krishna.I was thinking that someone from our forum where we have wonderful knowledgeble people to write about Srikrishna and his Rasa lila and there it was.The joy to read it was unexplainable.

I am extremely pleased to read it.The love between Krishna and Radha is certainly very blissful.

Thank you and can't thank enough.

Guest guest

In suddha-advaita-vada philosophy Hari is one without a second. That's to say, there is not a second Hari as His soul. Or an energy that personifies Hari's soul, like Radha. The conception of Radha is the conception given above, Radha is to be considered the symbolic expression of one's soul in love towards Hari. She is the expression of the love that our soul has towards Hari. Not a sakti, not a second Hari.

Guest guest

Talasiga:

Many try

But no philosophy can constrain the Lord

Like Radha !

Satyaraj: Fully agreed. Philosophy can never attract Hari, as well as religion cannot do it. But one should have these philosophical questions; "Who is that Radha that constrain Hari? What are her qualities, mood, and so on? My I become like her?"

This kind of philosophy may be helpful in our path seeking after Hari.

Originally posted by Satyaraja dasa:

Talasiga:

Many try

But no philosophy can constrain the Lord

Like Radha !

Satyaraj: Fully agreed. Philosophy can never attract Hari, as well as religion cannot do it. But one should have these philosophical questions; "Who is that Radha that constrain Hari? What are her qualities, mood, and so on? My I become like her?"

This kind of philosophy may be helpful in our path seeking after Hari.

Satraja..

Come down to earth or something...speak to us like a person.

You are now this pusti-marga shrooti verbaliser!

Good God man...don't you even take a breather before you change your philosophy cap?

You fought and debated myself and Jagat and everybody else for years..with all your anti-babaji fanatical bull...and now you just adopt a new persona with this arrogant srooti attitude!

COME DOWN TO EARTH and admit your a seeker like the rest of us..! Otherwise howcome all this bouncing around??

sincerely

jijaji

------------------

PEACE NOW

Yes to jijaji's observation Satyaraja.Lay back on some grass and just watch the clouds float by for a while.NO BOOKS, just look for Hari's face in the cloud formations.

Lil' brother,

MC

Originally posted by Maitreya:

Yes to jijaji's observation Satyaraja.Lay back on some grass and just watch the clouds float by for a while.NO BOOKS, just look for Hari's face in the cloud formations.

Lil' brother,

MC

Yes Yes....

Satya...go and chant for a couple of hours and see what happens....

Hare Krishna or 'Sri Krishnaha Saranam Mama' or Om Tat Sat even..just get your head away from de books for a while at least dude and stop pretending you have all the answers..none of us do!

BUT...the closer we get to God the more truth will reflect from us ..and not so much from our POSTINGS (if ya get me)!

Jai Radhe

Posted Image

------------------

PEACE NOW

Guest guest

Jijaji: You fought and debated myself and Jagat and everybody else for years..with all your anti-babaji fanatical bull...

Satyaraj: What is wrong with you, dear Babaji? Are you waiting for a revenge? Try to forget VNN's wars: new days, new flowery fields! I am not blamed if you still are stationary at the same mood. I've sold my bull.

PEACE NOW!!!

Defending Satyaraja Posted Image

Satyaraja's postings have prompted

me to write some of my best haiku

and other devotional poems.

What is wrong with that?

But if you dont like my poems

Please dont be angry with him

I take full responsibility.

Originally posted by Satyaraja dasa:

Jijaji: You fought and debated myself and Jagat and everybody else for years..with all your anti-babaji fanatical bull...

Satyaraj: What is wrong with you, dear Babaji? Are you waiting for a revenge? Try to forget VNN's wars: new days, new flowery fields! I am not blamed if you still are stationary at the same mood. I've sold my bull.

PEACE NOW!!!

No revenge here at all Satya...I'm just saying you need to relax and stop trying to have all the answers.

I am glad you are open to other things now Satya..but drop the absolutism please!

love

Posted Image

jijaji

------------------

PEACE NOW

Guest guest

Thanx for your kindly defense, Talasigaji. Actually I am not a guru, I have no asrama, no math, no church or mandir, disciples, women, etc. I am not trying to preach. I am only an ordinary seeker, checking out whatever I had learned, following Kabir's advice:

hIrA soi srAhiye / sahai ghanan kI choT / kapaT kurangI mAnavA / parakhat nikrA khot

"Admire the diamond that can bear the hits of a hammer. Many deceptive preachers (and books on spiritual discipline), when critically examined, turn out to be false." (Bijak/Sakhi 168)

I do consider these forums a good place to check out my own learnings.

We all love your haiku and mood.

Yes that is solid advice from Kabir.Any of us should expect the same hammering process to fall upon our proclamations that we direct onto the works and words of others.

This is critical analysis and is very important.It is also a two way street.

We like your word play Talasiga.I may question the message from time to time as you may mine.This prompts me to play back.But this is just the jostling of schoolmates and is natural between us.

Hare Krishna

Originally posted by Maitreya:

We like your word play Talasiga.I may question the message from time to time as you may mine.This prompts me to play back.But this is just the jostling of schoolmates and is natural between us.

Some only play with those words

which do honour

feeling Intuitions

Guest guest

Thanx for your commentary on Kabir's verse, Maitreyaji.

Kabir das (1398 - 1518) was considered the guru's terror at his time. A Hindu child brought up by a Muslim weaver Niru and his wife Nima, Kabir sought to break the barriers between Hinduism and Islam by going into the heart of religion. He was more than convinced that when it comes to any scripture, "the letter killeth" and that the so-called pandits and Maulavis who miss the "spirit" unwittingly turn themselves into hate merchants. Kabir who lived from 1440 to 1518 AD exposed the follies of the divines who swore by text books and survived many attempts on his life.

In his time, Arabic and Sanskrit were the chief languages of religion and the masses knew little of them. Kabir's dictum was: `Few men are qualified to become scholars but all are required to be good. Hence association with the good, Sat-sanga, is a positive way of forging good character than learning by heart scriptural passages without having any idea of their real import.'

Kabir's spiritual urge manifested itself even when he was a boy and it was by using a stratagem that he managed to get initiated in "Rama" mantra by the great saint Ramananda who eventually declared him as the dearest of his disciples. It is said that Kabir, in the pre-dawn hours, stretched himself on the steps of a bathing ghat in Ganga where Ramananda had his bath every day. On realising that he had unwittingly stepped on the body of someone, Ramananda uttered "Rama, Rama," which became for Kabir the sacred mantra.

From then on it was a triumphant spiritual ascent for Kabir who ranks high among the religious reformers India has ever produced. In his own time, Guru Nanank, Dadu and several other spiritual leaders acknowledged Kabir's greatness and in later times, Rabindranath Tagore is among the literary giants who have sought to spread Kabir's message.

There are well-known Kabir Panthis with followers from among Hindus and Muslims. The details of Kabir's life are mixed with legends - some say he married one Loi and brought up two adopted children Kamal and Kamali, that Emperor Sikandar Lodi, angered by Kabir's refusal to salute him tried to get him killed by drowning, burning and other means of torture before finally acknowledging Kabir's greatness.

Kabir says: To associate with a Sadhu is like sitting near a seller of perfumes; though he does not sell you anything, you still enjoy the perfume. No act of devotion can equal truth; no crime is so heinous as falsehood; in the heart where truth abides there is God's abode.

He lived for 120 years and is said to have relinquished his body in 1518. This period is also said to be the beginning of Bhakti Movement in India.

A weaver by profession, Kabir ranks among the world's greatest poets. In India, he is perhaps the most quoted author. The Holy Guru Granth Sahib contains over 500 verses by Kabir. The Sikh community in particular and others who follow the Holy Granth, hold Kabir in the same reverence as the other ten Gurus.

Kabir openly criticized all sects and gave a new direction to the Indian philosophy. This is due to his straight forward approach that has a universal appeal. It is for this reason that Kabir is held in high esteem all over the world. To call Kabir a universal Guru is not an over exaggeration. To many people, the very name Kabir means Guru's Grace.

When he died, his Hindu and Muslim followers started fighting about the last rites. The legend is that when they lifted the cloth covering his body, they found flowers instead. The Muslim followers buried their half and the Hindu cremated thier half. In Maghar, his tomb and samadhi still stand side by side.

Originally posted by Ananga:

jij:

I do not think this Satyaraj here is the same one from VNN, based upon this one's much better command of English.

I do think it is the Sweetrice Swami ..

Seems to have got a Gaudiya Math overload...

and now simply reacting and trying to balance himself out somewhat, been there done that!

I mean just 2 mths ago he was on this anti cyber-babaji kick and hammered it all hell. Now if I bring this up he say's I'm holding on to old stuff...ha ha ha the ego's a funny thing!

He says he rejected Narayan Maharaja because of his being against other Gaudiyas...I can understand that, that is something I wouldn't want to be around myself from any side of the fence.

But rather than admit he made a mistake in his judgement, he jumps on this srooti/pusti bandwagon and hammers everyone from his new angle...doesn't seem to matter what he believes..he just wants something to hammer ya with!

But I admit I love some of his new stuff Kabir etc...and I do like the Sruti quotes as I myself am presently into reading the Brahma-sutras and Upanishads....

I just wish he could chat with us like one of the dudes once in a while..

Posted Image

------------------

PEACE NOW

Originally posted by jijaji:

I do think it is the Sweetrice Swami ..

Seems to have got a Gaudiya Math overload...

and now simply reacting and trying to balance himself out somewhat, been there done that!

I mean just 2 mths ago he was on this anti cyber-babaji kick and hammered it to all hell (this occured just before his rejecting NM). So you can see he was really confused during that period...not so long back.

Now if I bring this up he say's I'm holding on to old stuff...ha ha ha the ego's a funny thing!

He says he rejected Narayan Maharaja because of his being against other Gaudiyas...I can understand that, that is something I wouldn't want to be around myself from any side of the fence.

But rather than admit he made a mistake in his judgement, he jumps on this srooti/pusti bandwagon and hammers everyone from his new angle...doesn't seem to matter what he believes..he just wants something to hammer ya with!

But I admit I love some of his new stuff Kabir etc...and I do like the Sruti quotes as I myself am presently into reading the Brahma-sutras and Upanishads....

I just wish he could chat with us like one of the dudes once in a while..

Posted Image

------------------

PEACE NOW