IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
aksh

Santana Dharma and Zorastrian

Rate this topic

Would someone comment on the following issues that relate to the similarities between Sanatna Dharma and Zorastrianism.

1.The oldest religion in the world - Zorostrianism or Santana Dharma

2.The various similarities among them

3.Based on the similarities between the Rig Veda and the Zend Avesta, can one draw a conclusion that one was derived from the other or had a major influence on it

4.The dates whereto the inception of both the religions can be traced back .

Thanks and Regards

I have always been interested in the Zoroastrian faith. I don't have real specific answers to your questions, though if you go to the new DragonSearch engine, I see they have a section on Zoraostrian websites under Oher philosophies.

In terms of similarities, as I understand it most of the stories are the same, but told from the other side. Thus the Devas are the bad guys, and the asuras are the good. On one of these sites it puts the date for the Avesta at 8000 BC. Again, I don't have real specific info. but if anyone else does, please share it.

Gauracandra

I studied Zarathustranism in a religion class in college. Basically it is dualism, the struggle between the "good God" Ahura Mazda (who basically looks like an old man with wings) and the evil Angra Mainyu (AKA "Ahriman"). But the idea is that good will prevail over evil in the end.

They believe the honorable thing to do when dying is to leave your body outside for the vultures to pick at, the final act of generosity or something. I always found that interesting.

May I suggest a good book? The Teachings of the Magi by R. C. Zaehner. Zaehner was a British Roman Catholic scholar who specialized in Zoraostrianism and Hinduism. He was very favorable to the Bhagavad Gita and his translation of the Gita is still one of most interesting out there. I find him very insightful, especially in a book called Matter and Spirit.

Another book that has a very interesting view of Zoroastrianism is Walter Kaufmann's Religions in Four Dimensions. Kaufmann is a philosopher, mostly known for his translations of Nietzsche and Buber. His insights on religion are nevertheless very interesting. He argues convincingly that the Jews in Babylon were very influenced by Zoroastrianism and that this in turn influenced Western thought through Christianity.

Jagat

I have read that basically Islam is what drove Zoroastrianism out of the middle east. Now most are in Bombay, and even there the numbers are fairly small. The figure I've heard was like 250,000 left in the world. Also, wasn't Indira Gandhi's husband Zoroastrian? I think so.

Gauracandra