IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Jahnava Nitai Das

Need help renaming the forums.

Rate this topic

We have decided to rename the forums to more properly reflect content here, and we need your help coming up with a name. Please post your suggestions. Right now the name is just "IndiaDivine Forums", I dont think anyone will do worse than that, so just give any ideas off the top of your head.

The name can be either sanskrit, english, or sanskrit and english. Hopefully the name can reflect the content and mood of the forums.

Please post your suggestions as a reply to this.

I'm just about to head off to work and figured I'd post a few ideas off the top of my head. How about something to do with an 'exchange'. Like we're here exchanging information, ideas, opinions etc.... So maybe 'Vaisnava Exchange'. Though not everyone here will be a Vaisnava so that might be too restrictive. Or 'The Seekers Exchange'. Something like that. I'll think it over at work. I'm stuck in meetings all day today, so I'll just ignore the boring presentations, and think of some others Posted Image

Gauracandra

PS By the way, is there a prize if I win Posted Image

Coincidence, I was just about type the same thing in, Animesh. Sanathana will cover all aspects of Hinduism.

Sanatana Dharma discussion, [forgot what the sanskrit term for discussion is]

Cheers

------------------

Dear is Plato, but dearer still is Truth - Aristotle

Guest guest

sanatana-dharma pravadatam - logical arguments (discussions) on eternal religion

adhyatma-vidya vidyanam / vadah pravadatam aham

"Of all knowledge I am atma-jñana, and in logical debate I am vada the principle that asserts a conclusion." (Gita 10.32)

"Of Vedic knowledge I am atma-jñana, knowledge of the self. Within logical debate (pravadatam), which consists of jalpa, vitanda and vada which establish one's own point and refutes the opponent's assertion, I am vada, by which the correct siddhanta and tattva are established."

Vada, the conclusion (tattva) ascertained by proper deliberation, logic and argument. In the field of argument and logic, vada, jalpa and vitanda are quite well known.

When, for the sake of establishing one's own opinion, one continuously finds faults with the opponent's statements, it is called jalpa.

Keeping the truth aside and avoiding proper deliberation and logic while finding fault in an opponent's statement is called vitanda. The purpose of such arguments is not to ascertain reality but only to display one's scholarship and the desire to defeat the opponent is very strong.

That deliberation which ascertains the Absolute Reality is is called vada. This vada is superior to all other forms of discussion.

I sat down and brainstormed a bit, but didn't come up with anything satisfactory. Basically I put down a bunch of words trying to describe what we do, hoping that a good name would reveal itself. Here are some of the words I came up with:

exchange

network

resource

united

communication

association

index

connection

So the idea would be names like 'Friendly Exchange' or 'Sanatan Dharma Network' etc.... but nothing really struck me right. I'll keep thinking.

Gauracandra

Hmmmmm...Good start Posted Image

Originally posted by Gauracandra:

I sat down and brainstormed a bit, but didn't come up with anything satisfactory. Basically I put down a bunch of words trying to describe what we do, hoping that a good name would reveal itself. Here are some of the words I came up with:

exchange

network

resource

united

communication

association

index

connection

So the idea would be names like 'Friendly Exchange' or 'Sanatan Dharma Network' etc.... but nothing really struck me right. I'll keep thinking.

Gauracandra

[This message has been edited by livingentity (edited 05-10-2001).]

From a Sanskrit point of view, some of the above are very bad. If you want to use Sanskrit, keep it euphonic and keep everything in the nominative case.

"pravadatAm" is genitive plural and so makes absolutely no sense when used as a name. It is like "Surabhirabhipalayantam"! That is the accusative of a present participle. It's a bit like calling someone "To the one herding cows," or "of the arguments." These are phrases, not names.

Though many people don't want to use Krishna's name, I suggest Krishna-kathopakathanam.

Kathopakathanam means "talking, conversation." There are many other words that convey some sense of this -- vAda usually means a philosophical position. When Krishna says vAdaH pravadatAm aham, he means something like "siddhanta."

Charcha or paricharcha are technically OK, but carry an overtone of bickering and criticism that you don't really want. "Para-carca" broadly means "faultfinding," so you don't really want that.

Vicara, etc., don't quite carry the multi-faceted aspect of the exchange of ideas that is conveyed by "kathopakathanam". Vichara is usually what one person does when discussing various sides of an issue. This restriction applies to many other similar words like prasanga, etc.

Yours,

Jagat

[This message has been edited by Jagat (edited 05-11-2001).]

Guest guest

So, what actually you suggest Jagatji?

sanatana-dharma + ?

You can put it in a good Sanskrit and an easy version in English.

Haribol Satyarajaji.

I like "Krishna-kathopakathanam."

I don't really care for "Sanatana-dharma" anything. It is too vague for me. But of course, I shouldn't really have a say. I haven't visited this site for weeks. I only came to find out what you were talking about on Dharma Mela.

Your servant,

Jagadananda Das.

The present title of Indiadivine suggests that it is generic Hindu and covers all topics on Hinduism. Of course, the drawback is that India being a country, it can also cover Islam, x'tians, et al., which perhaps calls for a more suggestive title.

The title Krishna restricts discussions to topics pertaining to Krishna. That rules out Rama, Shiva, topics on scriptural works, philosophies, differences, etc. Of course, if that is the intent, then the usage of the name Krishna will certainly make sense and will serve to keep other elements out. Au contraire, if the intent is to have a title which covers all aspects of Hinduism as before, then with due respect, the usage of Krishna, Vaishnava, etc does not cover it all. That is only one aspect of Hinduism.

In brief, it depends on what the intended audience is.

Cheers

I agree with Shvu. It would be nice to have broad title, something that can encompass all spiritual discussions connected with dharma. I would even suggest something that would be less sectarian then sanatana dharma, something that could even include discussions of buddhism for example.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to have a particular forum named "Krishna Talk" or something more specific, while the overall title would bemuch broader.

To attract someone doing a search it should be simple and direct.

Like Spiritual Viewpoints or Spirit Views Exchange something like that.

Spiritual Crossroads maybe.Use the english word spirit.I am sure many already have but it is a word that would be among the first to be used in a search.

SpiritDivine?The word divine has such a nice ring to it.

[This message has been edited by Maitreya (edited 05-11-2001).]

An english title will be better than a sanskrit one. Many people who have no knowledge of sanskrit would like to participate in the discussions. They may not understand what the title means, if it is a sanskrit one.

Cheers

Just a few ideas to perhaps stimulate others. Personally, I LIKE Indiadivine! I'd prefer this forum to be as open as possible, especially considering that there are two others specifically intended for Vaisnavas, meaning mostly Gaudiya ex-ISKCON. How about using the words `Eastwest` somehow, kind of like a bridge between the two? I would emphasize `spiritual` over `religious`, if possible. Maybe `absolute` and/or `self-realization` could be used? JNdas, prabhu, will there be many separate categories here, like at VNN? I think that would allow for wider differences between users and thus attract those with various levels of understanding as well as different faiths, perhaps. My own interest is specifically in God's Loving Grace, in any way, shape or form She may appear. So `Divine Love` is attractive, except that it's connected to Sri Kripalu's Divine Love Mission. `notmybody` comes to mind, too. Anyway, hope this is of some help. Peter

------------------

Hare Krsna Hare Krsna

Krsna Krsna Hare Hare

Hare Rama Hare Rama

Rama Rama Hare Hare

[This message has been edited by amanpeter (edited 05-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by amanpeter (edited 05-11-2001).]

I kinda like the name IndiaDivine Forums. Afterall, the site is IndiaDivine and this is the forum. It keeps it open etc. Is it possible to add a Classified heading? I found several incredible tapes etc under the old VNN classified heading.

I agree that it is not a good idea to call the forum "Krishna...something", since there is now newer subtitles in the forum and that everybody is not necesserily looking for Krsna.

I would suggest to give a title that does not discribe the topics which are discuss in the forum, but the participant of the forum.

As more or less everybody here is looking for the absolute truth, whatever it may be, we may call it:

The forum of the seekers of the truth

or something like that!

Haribolo