to head hunter)-this job market is very

hard...pay me, Muraari through Thy infinite

kindness.

Get me a job Govinda, get me a job Govinda,

Govinda get this idiot a job!

Cheers

Guest guest

Now for the modern adaptation [not by me],

Old odd, meant to karmis. Nice prayer anyway.

You made a very nice analogy between Ramaksna's mission and Srila Swami Prabhupada's, concerning their point of view on how to preach to Westerns. Any further comment on that topic?

Hi SD,

Is that right? I don't remember doing that. I do recall that you were explaining how Prabhupada preached in the west in response to my question on Iskcon/Gaudiya Math.

Cheers

Guest guest

You made a commentary on how Ramakrsna come to West to break the misconception that hindus are only barbarians and also he has pointed out the brahma-vada understanding of the aim of yoga. And you had made a comparison with Srila Prabhupada's mission and Ramakrsna's analyzing the same optics; i.e., he had came in the same mood (hindus are not barbarians) but now preaching savisesa-abheda-vada's point of view.

As we don't known anything about Ramakrsna's mission besides some of his philosophy, we are asking if you can make some further comment on the psychological background of his mission. What are the technical considerations on the Western mentality that Ramakrsna had considered important while spreading his mission?

Ok...you mean Vivekananda. I haven't much info about his trip and his famous speech, right now. Will post something on that soon as I can.

Cheers

Guest guest

I am sorry, it was Vivekananda! OK, we are waiting for your post. This is a nice subject. Thank you!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Could you please give your perspective on Vivekananda? I know you regard him a bit differently than some and would be interested in hearing. I would appreciate much. Also do you feel he misrepresented Ramakrishna?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Frankly, my knowledge about the Ramakrishna camp, including Ramakrishna and Vivekananda is minimal. Was never interested in them enough to find out enough because I was always more interested in Ramana. Although both RK and Vivekananda have an advaitic view, they differ from Shankara in some respects while to the best of my knowledge, Ramana does not. Vivekananda's philosophy is better categorized as Neo-Vedanta and whatever little I have read about his teachings, left me unimpressed.

About Vivekananda misrepresenting RK, I do not know. Vivekananda was also into patriotic and political talk. By mixing it all up, it is possible that one may get such an impression.

Sorry, I cannot be of more help on this.

Cheers

Hi Jijaji,

To add:

Advaita is best understood by reading Shankara's own writings. The best source would be Upadesha-Sahasri. The next best source would be Viveka-Chudamani [Crest Jewel of wisdom] which is available online in english at www.realization.org . Both are small-sized, simple and well written works.

Have you read the portion on Ramana in Paul Brunton's A search in secret India? It is brief, but very catchy. Interestingly, this is the first book that made Ramana famous in the west. Lots of westerners came to India to meet Ramana, inspired by this book.

Cheers

shvu...

Could you please give your perspective on Vivekananda? I know you regard him a bit differently than some and would be interested in hearing. I would appreciate much.

Also do you feel he misrepresented Ramakrishna?

peace

jijaji

;^)