IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Raghavendra Swami

Rate this topic

I was wondering if you know of a mystic named Raghavendra Swami. I have a friend who has had chronic health problems for a number of years. A while back he was instructed to do daily puja to a picture of Raghavendra (I believe that is his name). He has put his picture on his altar alongside Radha Krsna and Caitanya Mahaprabhu. He swears that since he started this (a few years back) he has seen a noticeable improvement in his health. What can you tell me about this mystic?

Sri Raghavedra Swami is a great devotee of the Lord. He is an incarnation of Bhakta Prahlad, the eternal associate of Lord Narasimhadeva. He appeared to re-establish the Madhva sampradaya approximately 300 years ago. Around the age of 100 years he entered into jiva-samadhi by being burried with 1,000 salagram-silas (self-manifested deities of Vishnu in stones) while still living. Jiva-samadhi is a process where great mystics are burried alive while seated in yogic trance. His Jiva samadhi is located in a city called Mantralaya in Andhra Pradesh. He is still present and living within the samadhi for the last 300 years by his yogic power.

When I get time I will write the history of this great devotee and associate of the Lord, and the many mystical pastimes he had performed.

Ragavendra Svami's doctrine purported that all Jivas were "locked into Guna Types"; that there was no Prapanna, and no mercy of surrender engaging in Nama Saranam.

His teachings were that if the Jiva was one of the Tama Guna Jivas, that it would eternally remain in Tama Guna. That precludes all the means of Nama Saranam, and Prapanna. He is considered a blasphemer by many formal Vaishnava sects; and like many others has a twisted array of dualism to confuse about anyone into not surrendering one's Jnana, Mana, Prana, and all the Kosa capabilities of the entity into unqualified devotional service surrender to the Holy Name, and thus be situated "Nirguna"... or enganged in devotional service beyone the gunas...

More on request.

AUM TAT SAT

Actaully the three types of jivas (according to gunas) are not discussed by Raghavendra. Jayatirtha deals with these topics, but not in the manner that you mention. It is only in modern times that these teachings have been distorted to say there is no chance to change ones nature. I would like you to provide some references from the writings of Raghavendra to back your claims. As in the past I have approached Sri Vidyabhushana (the famous Madhva singer), who is a great scholar of the Madhva line, with these statements. When asked about the claims that there are different types of souls he answered "I know of only one type of soul, the hari-dasa." Your baseless allegations are full of ignorance of his teachings.

Perhaps better "less on request".

Jndas:

You acknowledge that you had approached a person regarding the same "distortions"; and inquired. The person answered that "He Only Knew of One Type" nitya-siddha "Hari-Das".. oh how comforting that must have been for him, such that he could swat the fly so easily...

I am not in the Ragavendra Line, and due to the specific points that I found in advanced literature which was rendered to my Ashram from visiting authorities and dignitaries of their sect; I assumed that their formal books contained actual content of their Guru's teachings. If you have something to clarify this for me; I would sincerely appreciate it.

I do not keep any of his books or teachings at any of my places of service; and I am not willing to send out for any. BUT I am most eager for your reference in this matter, which I may then follow up.

AUM TAT SAT

Srisan

<FONT SIZE=1><i>All these nectarian opportunities to hear, glorify and remember devotional service are of a technical nature and vast scope that inadvertently may trigger many conflicting terminologies and concepts. May The Lord be so merciful that everyone has an answer for anything, inclusively with being merciful to this Srisan service of The Jiyer, as I have omitted much in support, do not intend to offend, and as it is given not to argue.

"May The Lord Bless You and Keep You onto His Devotional Services throughout the infinite. For as the great medical doctors are mostly seen amidst the sick, or pressing forth directly into the depths of disease; so march forth the millions of Devotional Servants of The Holy Name, carrying The Lord's torchlight of graceful mercy throughout the Three Worlds securing the darkest regions of violate temporal nature. We do not claim to be pure, we only beg to serve the purification; for we have pursued the Priesthood onto The One Supreme Lord Orderer of Infinity, knowing but the least; we are not He we serve."</i></FONT>

"You acknowledge that you had approached a person regarding the same "distortions"; and inquired."

This question was asked to Sri Vidyabhushana regarding the teachings of Jayatirtha. It had nothing to do with Raghavendra, as he never mentions this concept in his writings.

Four interesting points you make:

"I am not in the Ragavendra Line..."

"I assumed..."

"I do not keep any of his books or teachings..."

"I am not willing to send out for any..."

In other words you don't have a clue, yet you are offering to provide more information on request? You have never read any of the writings of Raghavendra, yet you make many very rash statements about his teachings. This is absolute blind fanaticism.

"BUT I am most eager for your reference in this matter, which I may then follow up."

This is funny. You make baseless allegations that Raghavendra teaches this, that, and the other one, and then you request _me_ for references! All this while not having read any of his writings. I think it is your job to provide references for the speculations you have made.

Let us see what you claimed:

1) His teachings were that if the Jiva was one of the Tama Guna Jivas, that it would eternally remain in Tama Guna.

Where is the reference please?

2) That precludes all the means of Nama Saranam, and Prapanna.

Raghavendra stressed the chanting of nama sankirtana, particularly the Hare Krishna maha mantra, and complete surrender to Krishna.

3) He is considered a blasphemer by many formal Vaishnava sects...

Please provide a quote from an acharya of one of the four vaishnava sampradayas that consider him to be a blashphemer. Please don't quote some Mr. Iyengar from Madras.

4) and like many others has a twisted array of dualism to confuse about anyone into not surrendering....

How twisted and confused are you? Just out of curiosity I am asking.

Anyway, I will post some of the teachings of Raghavendra when I get time for those who are interested in Vaishnava philosophy.

My experience with the Acharyas of Ragavendra Svami, true, is very limited; that I do affirmatively agree.

As I said though, I have discussed this matter personally with visiting present Acharyas and Dignitaries (trustees) of the Ragavendra Math in Tamil Nadu, when they had occasion to stay or visit the main installation that I serve.

They come over when visiting our dham, as we are the presiding Sampradaya of the pratistha.

During those brief discussion, the point about the Jiva being locked into a fixed guna was brought up as their primary platform; and a first I questioned that could be the fact, though they showed me in their formal publications.

It is possible that there may be some difference between the Madhva Sampradaya and the Ragavendra in South, though they have the same tilak, and appear to be the same.

Experience is not speculation. And I had considered their teachings to the extent at which time it precluded "nirguna devotional service" of Prapanna.

AUM TAT SAT

SRISAN

They come over when visiting our dham, as we are the presiding Sampradaya of the pratistha.

During those brief discussion, the point about the Jiva being locked into a fixed guna was brought up as their primary platform; and a first I questioned that could be the fact, though they showed me in their formal publications.

It is possible that there may be some difference between the Madhva Sampradaya and the Ragavendra in South, though they have the same tilak, and appear to be the same. Though there was no mention of the HK vocative whatsoever by them in South.