IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

Tell about your knowledge here ...

Rate this topic

I made this thread after looking at a lot of people here seems to have lack of proper knowledge in Hindusm and many more seems to know only what is within a certain group of people or even within India itself.

So, this thread is for you to explain what you know about, what books or beliefs you have read and understood about and also what is your goal to accomplish.

PS : You don't have to tell what religion you are following or what diety you worship.

What I know about :

1. Buddhism (50% - Fundamentals)

2. Hindusm (50% - Fundamentals)

3. Jewish Traditions (30% - very basics).

4. Asian beliefs (from various countries).

5. Taoism.

Books I have read :

1. Gita and Mahabratha

- understanding :- 60%

2. The Bible

- Understanding :- 30%

3. Information of Jewish Tradition (online).

- Understanding :- 40%

4. Taoism (Books of Healing Arts and such).

5. Asian Beliefs (Shintosm and such).

- Understanding - 65%

Understanding means how much you understand what you have read. Many people claims of read of a certain books but their understanding is very shallow.

Goal :

1. Read Al Quran - Cannot find complete text yet.

Guest guest

In Bhagavad Gita chapter X shloka 3 Lord Krishna explains the virtues of knowing the entire truth of the cosmic system. Similarly as knowing the Sun we lose interest in the power of a candle, the knower of God, the Almighty Creator of the Cosmos ... comes to understand the whole creation from the angle of God. If you need to understand a painting on a canvas ... you need to view it from the angle of the painter who painted it. For that you may have to understand the thinking process of the painter. Unless you accomplish this you shall not be able to interpret the meaning of the painting ... the abstract art that definitely conveys a meaning of its own. For knowing ... from where flows the water ... you need to go to its source. The moment you reach the source all becomes clear.

The entity of God is and has always been one without a birth ... the existence of God is from Times Immemorial ... that is without a beginning and an end. God, the Almighty Creator of the Cosmos exists ever since the whole creation came into existence. We are not talking of creation of a single Cosmos but even beyond. The domain of God is not limited to a particular Cosmos.

Life has always been like that ... it is only we Human Beings who are unable to fathom the inner secrets of the cosmic wisdom.

Guest guest

knowledge comes better from personal experience than from books. i lived as an aetheist for perhaps 7, 8 years. i was religous for 2, 3 years. i was spiritual for the last year of my life. each of those periods bought their own 'truths' which have in the end, coincided with what is there in the gita. ive read the gita, upanishads, various texts on dharma. sections of the bible. i have alot of literature from aurobindo, yogananda, gandhi, vivekananda, frawley, prabhupada, easwaran, etc. what has attracted me the most is the simplicity of the gita after it hits home and becomes truth. it can be complex if your mind is not open to receiving it. if it is open, then be prepared, your world will change quite suddenly. meditation becomes intense and magnetic, your thought patters change, your demeanor changes. personal experience will always be better than knowledge. any fool can recite or write much on all sorts of topics. so far in my journey, ive come across the saving grace of God, but im also stuck in discovering the difference between an external body of God, and the atman. i cannot find how they are one and the same. that's my task to discover on my own, but so far this is what i know, if it's any indication.

I have read the following;

A]1] About 4 editions of mahabharata.[bhagwatgita included]

2] Walmiki Ramayana

3] All four vedas

4] Upnishads

5] All puaranas

6] Manusmriti,Yagnawalkya smriti & Brigusmriti

7] Shankarbhashya

8] Bharata'Ntyashastra

9] Purvamimasa

B] 1] A number of books on budhhism

2] Zen Budhism

3] Jainism,a number of books

C] 1]Holy Qoran

2] Sunnah

3] Hadith

7 a host of literature about christanity ,judiaism etc.

Guest guest

Pothi Padh Padh Kar Jag Mua, Pandit Bhayo Na Koye

Dhai Aakhar Prem Ke, Jo Padhe so Pandit Hoye

Reading books everyone died, none became any wise

One who reads the words of Love, only becomes wise

Kahat Kabira.................so said Kabira

Guest guest

No Offense AjitBhai:

Just we human being forget one things that whatever we know or will come to know in this world will always be miniscule compared to what we do not know or never will be able to know.

Thats all.

Kabira Khara Bazaar Mein, Mange Sabki Khair

Na Kahu Se Dosti, Na Kahu Se Bair

Kabira in the market place, wishes welfare of all

Neither friendship nor enmity with anyone at all

These are the books I have read-

Baghvad Gita

1. Baghvad Gita as it is.

2. Swami Sivananda's literal translation of Gita.

3. Swami Prabhavananda's Version of Gita

4. Barbara Miller's Translation.

Upanishads

1. Swami Prabhavananda's translation.

Yoga Sutras Of Patanjali-

Iam currently eploring various versions.

Mahabaratha-

1. Rajagopalachari's version in Tamil. (Long back).

Christianity- Grew up in a christian school so know about 30% about chritianity.

Islam - After 9/11 Iam slowly learning about some basic offensive portions mentioned in the Quran, ?Hadiths and suras.

I've read:

Gita [100% understanding]

Mahabharata [Only read the very beginning up to where King Dhritarashtra laments on all the things that have happened during the war]

Quran [95% understanding]

Guest guest

Hari OM

This was the Hindu traditional way of learning until a few hundred years ago.

The learning process started at very young age.

It started with a story, Mahabharata, 5 good princes fought against 100 bad princes.

The child gets interested and asks how the Pandvas won? the answer was Sri Krishna.

Then the child wants to know more about Sri Krishna, so srimad Bhagavtam is read next.

The child is amazed and asks "Who is this Krishna?" and gets a reply Krishna is an incarnation(Avatar) of Vishnu.

The child wants to know is there any other Avatar of Vishnu, for which Ramayan is read.

Now the child develops love for Vishnu, and wants to know all His Avatars, so all Vishnu Purans are read.

The child then develops intense love for Vishnu and asks "Who is this Vishnu" and is replied , Vishnu is a part manifestation (not Avatar) of He (Tat Pursuha).

The child then asks is Vishnu the only manifestation or any other Manifestations, to which is replied there are infinite manifestations of Him like Siva, Sakthi, Karthikeya, ..... The child wants to know about all the manifestations of Him, to which all Puranas like Siva Purans, Skanda Puran ,etc., are read.

Now the child develops intense love for Him and want to See Him, for which is replied he has to do some cleansing since He does not know any distinction and untouched by Evil. The cleansing is done by vedic rituals and at the end the Vedanata truths are given as Diksha to the child, now the child is said to have taken the second birth.

Now the child wants to reach Him, and for which Gita which tells about the different paths to reach Him is explained. The child chooses any one path which he likes and becomes a Sadhaka of that path. After many years (or births) he finally reach Him, once somebody becomes Sadhaka he reaching the goal is assured.

The normal process is if a child starts this at 5 years of age and proceeds at correct speed and not diverted anywhere could reach the goal by 80 years of age. However some child may be just struck at Mahabharata itself and some may jump from Mahabarata to Gita direct and those are the exceptions.

This is just a traditional way of doing, but nowadays many people go direct to Gita, due to more intelligence and energy levels.

This is just a traditional way of doing, but nowadays many people go direct to Gita, due to more intelligence and energy levels.

Intelligence and energy level? More now then before?

Sorry, I disagree.

Compared to Intelligent of the Past, people now are not very intelligent. And energy? I don't think they are very energetical either.

I have seen men (Indians) who are 35 years old but already suffering various diseases. Matter a fact, in Malaysia, 40% of ALL patients who have cronic Heart problems ARE Indians who are aged 30 and above, according to STAR Newspaper which came out a year and half ago.

Many people don't start Spiritual educations when they are young. By the time they are teenagers, they have commited many sinful acts like premarital sexual relationships, drugs, alcholol etc. And by the time they reach 45 and about, then only they going to start spiritual progress and many of this due to fact that they started to fear Death and their own Sinful acts.

This is why they could easily fall for Islam and Christianity. In those religions, their sins are easily forgiven (even so it is just placebo effect) and they choose those.

Not to be rude or anything, but as you have all read many books and scripts on hinduism and other religions, if you were asked to summarise what you have learned.. what would you say?

its all well and good reading them but overall what can you truely say you've learned and how has it changed your life since you first started reading such religious text. i am very interestedin knowing.. as i am sure others will be!

many thanks in advance!

Not to be rude or anything, but as you have all read many books and scripts on hinduism and other religions, if you were asked to summarise what you have learned.. what would you say?

If I was too surmarize everything I read about Religion and God, then I could say that Religion is required to lead us to live with Nature. God is separate from Religion and Religion is just one methods to reach Him (BUT NOT THE ONLY METHOD).

Living with Nature MUST be the purpose of Existence. Seeking Perfection in Ourselves MUST be the purpose of our Spiritualism.

That's my Summary. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Guest guest

People should not be judged for what they know, but what they have not learnt or are willing to learn from other religions as well as from their own.

GYANA yoga means gaining more and more info for correct understanding of scriptures which are supposed to guide your life.

I have read:

HOLY hindu texts: Vedas in summary, Upanishads abut 10-12, purans few, Gita, Ramayan, MB, some folk tales from India,

Bible OT and NT,

QURAN

Buddhism

Kabbala

All other religious faith and related books.

GREEK and ROMAN MYTHOLOGY helps a lot to decipher what is vedas.

NOW recently I have taken up "INDEPTH STUDY OF RIG VEDA" and I need support and help to go thru with it. WHY? It is extremley long and esoteric in nature. IT is very highly poetic and has deep hidden meaning that sometimes, I get stuck.

As far as Karma yoga is concerned, I dedicate all my day and night activities to the DEITY of the day. I worship and meditate on different deities every single day that way, I have a variety and it never gets to be boring or dull.

IT is highly rewarding and helps me stay peace at heart and mind, no matter what is happenning around me all the time.

MAY SAIBABA bless you all today.

GREAT POST. Thank you for starting this thread.

psst! Don't be shy. LET us know what you have studied and brag about it even. It is good prompting for others to read, gain proper understanding of all our hindu scriptures, plus know where other people come from. It increases a sense of love, tolerance and you can defend your faith mostly, if someone deliberately twists or insults your RELIGION of SANATANA DHARMA.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL of you and families.

Guest guest

{NOW recently I have taken up "INDEPTH STUDY OF RIG VEDA" and I need support and help to go thru with it.}

Well done for taking on this task, but there have been others who have done this and their work may help.

You may want to read 'Secret of the Veda' where Sri Aurobindo gives a spiritual interpretation of the mantras. Swami Dayananda Saraswati wrote commentaries on the the Vedas which were completed by his disciples. And David Frawley wrote some books about the interpretation of mantras of the Vedas.

The following links may be helpful.

http://www.vedah.com/

http://www.vedicbooks.com/

Guest guest

I haven't much knowledge of religion never really trully believed in religion but i am a hindu and want to know what is the main book that the Hindus read and what text language is it in