IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

liquor and hinduism

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello Everyone,

I am myself quite a religious person and love to learn more and more about god and his wonders.There are certain questions however that I have in mind.Is consuming liquor forbidden in our hindu religion.I am confused since this is what I have always learned.But as I was reading through the durga saptshati paath,,I read that Ma Durga consumed liquor before killing the rakshas.Moreover Indra(king of devtas)was known for his drinking and passion for dancers.So is it condemned in our religion?

I would appreciate anyone who could provide me with some knowledge on this

Thanks

Guest guest

I think the practice of moderation is the key. All things in moderation! Thats the best way.

Guest guest

Dear Dreamy,

Liquor is not prohibited in hinduism.Some sects like Shaktas do not forbid it. Majirity of the lower castes have liquor as part of their rituals.The problems is Hinduism has so many sects etc. so you can not form any opinion about.Mahabharta abounds with drinking references for both kauravas & Pandavas. There is even ref. about lord Ram drinking in Uttarkand of Ramayana. Moderation is the key

Guest guest

If there is no desire for liquor then it is fine to drink it. if there is no attachment after the drinking it is fine. but for the highest Realization of Truth, all desires and attachments must be eradicated, the mind must be completely silenced. therefore liquor is mostly prohibited.

Guest guest

on this one. Even though thier religion is a despicable cult but there is nothing gained by drinking liquor.

Alcohol is a mind altering drug whose long term side effects are devastating. They bring short term relaxation but long term depression.

Physiologically they are very damaging.

I like the ISKCON policy of no drinking and eating meat. I diligently follow them even though Iam not one of them.

One of the reasons that liquor is discouraged in Hinduism is the emphasis on control of sense organs.

Every school of thought in Hinduism asposes control of sense organs for spiritual upliftment.

After drinking one loses control over the sense organs.

A person can lose all discrimination thinking capacity which may lead him to commit crimes and other immoral acts.

Though in modern life it is difficult to avoid drinking altogather.

Best would be to limit it to exceptiona social gatherings.

I heard somebody caught up in a Russian social gathering bribed waitor to put water instead of multiple rounds of vodka. Advantage of color.

Guest guest

Hello,

Thanyou all for answrering my question.Whatever all of you said does make sense.moderation I believe is the key and also I agree that in todays world it is hard to refrain from these things completely.So its best to do such things but do them with a sense of control instead of alcohol controlling us and dictating our actions it is us who should be in control at all times.

I appreciate your answers

Thanks

one who is more and more serious practicener of hinduism he/she will control his sneses more and more, and will not not do anythig that makes him/her not know the reality/truth.

are you considering following hinduism?

Guest guest

Hello,

Thanks for your response.I am a hindu myslef but I have numerous questions which I want to clear and i believe this is the best place where I can discuss my queries.

Thanks-

Dreamy

Guest guest

What you've just said shows a weakness of character ... something along the lines of ‘in this day and age it's hard to refrain’ etc. Ill give you the example of myself - I'm 22 years old. I live in England, was born and brought up here. Anyone who knows anything about this country will be aware that drinking is one of the most popular social activities. However, I have managed to have a large group of friends, a successful career and a good level of education despite refraining from drinking alcohol, eating meat and smoking/taking drugs. The majority of my friends used to indulge in such activities before, but after seeing how I can go out and have fun without drinking myself into a slimy regurgitating blob they too have taken a leaf out of my book. Many of my white friends here have even stopped eating meat - lead don't follow!!

I have agree with Guest here. I was drinking casually then once I got married I started drinking glass of wine during dinner. One glass lead to many and basically in 2 years I was drinking a bottle of redwine a day.

Then I started getting spiritual, so I stopped drinking, eating meat.

Right now I do sandhyavandanam and read a chapter of Gita everday. Iam not even a brahmin and I grew up in a very atheist family in India. Now coming to chicago I know more about Hinduism than when I was at home. Iam at peace with myself.

Guest guest

Hello,

First of all I would like to clear that what I have asked is a question and NOT MY THEORY.And everyone here has misinterpreted my question.My question is that is drinking alcohol permitted in hindu religion or is it Taboo or it does not matter if someone does or not.

If someone would answer this question in context with RELIGION and not character or personality it would be appreciated.

I would also like to add that in my view its not the fact that a person drinks alcohol or not that determines STRONG CHARACTER OR WEAK CHARACTER.I believe a strong person is that who just knew his/her limits and even after having alcohol does not lose senses and stays in control of his/her actions and knows what he is doing or saying that is ,is totally in control of his actions and words.I would call such a person of strong character too...

Thanks-

Dreamy

Guest guest

Actually a weak person is someone who wants to follow trends and norms as opposed to stand their grounds, even if their opinion goes against the grain. Hinduism is a way of life and you would find that in ancient and modern India drinking is not held in high regard. I know that I don't live in India, but it is a fact that drinking alters your state of mind - any alteration of your mind cannot be condoned by a religion that places such an emphasis on the mind.

By the way - no drinking is not forbidden as such, Hinduism is not a dictatorship or rigid religion. However, nor is it condoned. If you read ancient literature (the foundations of Hinduism) there is nothing that condones intoxication of oneself. Some sects and cults do feel that it is perfectly ok to use alcohol and drugs to gain ‘spirituality’. However, their lifestyles are not in line with the traditional Hindu.

Most importantly, alcohol is a drug. It can be addictive. It performs no particular function - it is merely drinking fermented fruit. Those looking to turn to drinking alcohol should first look at the effects of alcohol - no matter how moderate the consumption. As another person in this forum has mentioned, it doesnt take long for a little sip to turn into a life-long habit.

Hi,

It seems either you want to justify the liquour habit.But it verily spoils the logical buddhi and give the 'manas' a free sense of irregular freedom.One should not hence consume liquor and all.

For every act,we can justify by quoting puranas and scriptures.Because the maya or illusionary energy's touch is there everywhere for normal souls.

But to get out of a mistake,the first step is to accept it as harmful thing.From what you are writing,the mind will look into more and more justification and try to prove it.It is the greatest evil of addiction and desire.

First we say "control" then dilute and say "drink but have ur limits" then further "drink,enjoy,cross limits without disturbing anybody ofcourse its your life" then further "great warriors and gods drink and enjoyed.we must follow them" etc.

But the fact is that we lose to our senses and give up all virtues.

Guest guest

I dont know and understand whether drinking liquor is right or wrong in hinduism.Nor am I here to justify anything my question was just a simple one.Indra the lord of devtaas was known for drinking and having a lavish lifestyle.As I mentioned earlier in the durga saptshati paath it says goddes durga consumed liquor which made her eyes red.Lord Shiva is known for smoking ganja, chewing weeds.So the simple question is when our gods did this,,,and it is mentioned so clearly in all our scriptures since when did this become taboo in our religion?Who made those rules people like you and me?Or God ?

Hope my question is clear

Thanks

The first reference to prohibition agaist liquor is found in Manusmriti.The five great sins according to the code of Manu (the most authoritative of the Hindu law books) are: killing of a brahmin, stealing gold from a brahmin, adultery with the wife of a religious teacher, association with one guilty of these four rules, and the partaking of liquor.Since manusmriti is dated around 2nd century B.C. to 2nd century A.D. a number of scholers feel some of thes have come from Budhism.Like budhism is thought to be the prime reason for brahmins expounding vegeterian food same way it has contributed to frowning about drinking.

Varuni in Hindu and Vedic mythology, Varuni was originally the waters of origin, she became the goddess of golden liquor, wine and intoxication.

I am in no way justifying drinking just stating the historical facts.

Guest guest

Dear Mr/Ms Dreamy...just a simple question that I pose to you. Have you actually met/seen lord Indra - God is supposed to be omnipresent. God doesn’t have a birth neither does God die. Consumption of food and drink is solely for living things. God is nor human nor animal.

What God has done is given you a brain to work out what is right and what is wrong. Religion is set to guide you - not misguide you. Stories about Gods were made to pass down moral messages to people who lacked access to education and holy books during the times India was invaded. Hinduism states that there is one God, whom we recognise and appreciate on different form and have different names from. We now have access to education and our holy scriptures (those that were not destroyed) - so how about finding out the truth rather than believing hear-say stories like Gods fighting in heaven. I do see why such stories were brought about and they form the conscience of Hindus today, but isn’t it about time we opened our eyes.

Guest guest

Hello,

I am sorry but i do not quiet understand what you are trying to explain here.Are you saying that the "stories"that we had heard in through are scriptures and books are wrong and false.

Correct me if i m wrong

Guest guest

Scriptures do not dictate stories. Scriptures depict the way of life that we as humans should lead and the paths we follow. The Ramayana, Mahabharata and Gita do not state that once upon a time two Gods had a fight in heaven about who was most powerful. Yes the scriptures do talk about Lord Indra but Indra is a name associated with a function or duty of the one God. Scriptures were written thousands of years ago and some of them in poetic form. A lot of things are not to taken literally. I know people will oppose these words but when Lord Rama 'cut' Suropnakha's nose it doesn’t automatically mean he actually cut it off. For those who know Hindi, cutting of the nose - if translated literally - also means insulting someone.

Guest guest

I am not insulting the intelligence of people here, what I am trying to get across is that for many years Hindus around the world have been condoning their actions using 'religious' examples not having understood their religion in the first place. As an example, 'Lord Indra used to drink alcohol'...and where did you find that?-in what scripture? Did you catch him doing that? There are negative affects of alcohol/other drugs that people know of - why would God want to encourage you to do such a thing and that to by example? The stories have their place. They were brought about, as I've stated, as a means to educate people about morals - something they desperately needed after mogul invasion and British rule forced all knowledge away from the common man in India.

No there are not millions of Gods residing in Heaven. Firstly, we as Hindus should not believe in heaven and hell - we make our lives ‘heaven’ or ‘hell’ through our karma. There is one God who we recognise, appreciate and worship in different forms. We believe God is omnipresent i.e. in everything - when we see him as a protector we call him Vishnu, when we see him as a destroyer He is Shiva, when we see the sun we see Lord Surya etc. We are a part of one of the only religions that sees God in this way. It is also important not to confide God to a statue or picture. That way when you turn your back you cease to follow your religion. God is everywhere, including that picture. No one has seen God but the statue or picture gives us a point on which to meditate or focus our attention on.

I'm not here to argue, but every time a non-Hindu points a finger at my religion, I for one can say that I know how it can be defended. Hinduism is a rich belief full of scientific knowledge and explanations. Please don't let it be marred by statements like Lord Shiva took drugs in a particular story-these stories were passed down through word of mouth to people who were denied the right to education/religious practice and have helped the religion survive. However, now that we have access to education and access to many scriptures we should start looking outside the box and re-discover the beautiful religion that lies beneath stories likening God to man. Such stories show God as weak, i.e. falling in lust with women, taking drugs, being afraid of demon attacks. God is not weak - He is the most powerful source. I welcome any debate on this topic - not in an argumentative way, so that we do what this forum was set up to do...encourage discussion.

Right lets get to the basics

Firstly we have accusations that Indra drank alcohol.

Even if this is true... who cares? He is not God, he is a "Demi-God". Demi-Gods are not the supreme being, Indra is fallible, he has been defeated by Lord Krishna, he runs to Lord Vishnu when he needs help. He is subject to the modes of Material Nature (Read the Bhagavad Gita).

"People who worship the demi-Gods go to the planet of the demi-Gods, those who worship me go to my abode" - Bhagavad Gita.

Even Lord Shiva may be considered a demi-God, he has acknowledged that Lord Krishna (Vishnu) is the supreme being. - Bhagavata Purana.

"Those who worship the demi-Gods are actually worshipping me, although indirectly"

Infact the Vedic scriptures in general...associate Brahman with Vishnu.

The demi-Gods are the supreme beings universal ministers.

The are subject to the modes of material - therefore they can suffer from passion and ignorance. We have heard stories that God Realized Rishis have potential to Curse the demi-Gods. Indra has probably been cursed many times.

If you read the Bhagavad Gita, then you will clearly understand that drinking of alcohol is in the modes of passion and ignorance.

Lord Buddha is said to be an Avtar, who in Kali Yuga to sort the people out who were too busy killing and sacrificing animals, engaging in illicit sex, taking intoxication etc.

Buddha said that it is recommended not to take intoxication - thus as followers of Sanathan Dharma we should avoid alcohol.

Use your own logic....Alchohol is bad news. Why would you want to act like a fool once getting drunk, then start puking up?