IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Why so much discrimination against women?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I've noticed in my studies and in my life that women do not play a large role in Sanatan Dharma ritual system. There are basically no women priests. And there are only very few woman Swamis. Why?

Why do women play a much smaller role in religion than men?

why?

I dont understand.

Why do women play a much smaller role in religion than men?

Your questions are interesting and I hope the people here will entertain them. I should also like to know what roles can women play in Sanatana Dharma.

Guest guest

The other cultures respect money more than women. Santana dharma is the only one in the word which respects women.

The lord Shiva is considered one with shakthi. They are inseperable.

Shakthi or parvathy is always respected. There is nothing more to be respected nor anything less to be respected. She is supreme one with Shiva. She is unniversal formless energy, an infinite times more powerful than anyones ever changing perception.

Jai Sriman Narayana:

Traditional reasoning:

A women undergoes periods during which time she is changing both chemically and physically. This is indeed painful. She undergoes the prenatal periods, childbirth and then the postnatal periods. Now, all this itself is too much strain on women coming in the way of concentration and dedication to NITYA KARMA - i.e. to do without fail without missing even for a day (or rather Kaala -time). So, isnt asking her to do whatever man is already doing not cruel on her? Sastras taking all this into consideration has correctly prescribed what women should do and what they need not (not just what they should not). Shastras have not said that Women cannot get Moksha because they dont do what all men do. In fact they play a much larger role by their faithful activities to their men-folk, by maitaining the house etc and this itself is a good accumulation of sufficient Punya... none extra is necessary. This way man takes care of external activities and women take care of internal activities and everything worked fine.

Modern day:

Ofcourse now a days women want to do whatever men do (thanks to western culture!) and in the process there is too much competition and both men and women suffer at the end of the day. Both men and women are making their own rules based on their limited intelligence and they always think "Oh!I am making something better that what is stated in Bhagavad Gita, Vedas etc". This is ignorance and they are not aware that they are ignorant, this is a pity.

I would however wait to hear from someone who knows about the reasoning for the present age.

It seems you are an anti-hindu, or totally ignorant of the vedic culture.

Why are you concerned about it?

Are you a vedic woman?

Do you have any concern about how Islam trats women?

What rights have you given to your wife, and daughters?

Guest guest

woo.......

chill out maadhav... seems like theres something wrong with that ego of yours... control. control.

If you are reffering to me, i am not anti-hindu. I am probably the most hardcore Hindu you have ever met.

Why am i concerned about it?!? because at every religious event, at every household event, the women play second role for men. They do not eat until men have eaten, they do not speak when men speak. There are also very few woman priests and swamis. So i was just wondering why there is this BIG imbalance. Dont go and accuse me of all these things. I am just a curious teen, wanting some answers.

No i am not a veidc woman. im a male.

I already know how badly muslims treat their wives, and would prefer NOT to talk about it as it is very disheartening and sad.

I do not have a wife or a daughter as i am only 17 years old. Besides, i choose not to marry. So that question cannot apply to me now, or in the future.

so maadhav... chill out... this isnt a contest or a fighting match.

--

Om Namah Shivaya

Guest guest

NARAYANADASA!! THANK YOU FOR YOUR WONDERFUL POST!!! IT IS THE AWESOMEST ANSWER TO MY QUESTION!!!

THANKS!

okay ravi, now that I know you, i will give some answer becaue you want to know sincerely.

in our vedic culture - idealy - a female is always protected by paretns when she is a child, by brothers and father when she is unmarried, and by husband and sons when she is married.

a woman has a lot of capacity and inclination to give and receive love to all.

initially, several milleniums ago girus used to take yajnopavita like boys, lathert this tradition changed and now man wears her yajnopavita also if married.

a temple is a community place, and some who come there may get unduely attracted to the priest if she is a young women.

theis could cause sinful activity. to avoid such happening, the poojaris are males, and mostly married.

however, ammachi is a great mystic saint.

she raises womens as poojariNis with her blessing.

th scriptures do not forbid it.

all the Vedic social customs are voluntarily chosen from scriptures and them modifed according to circumstanecs, to avoid trouble or unwanted things from happening. no one enforces rules, but they are accepted voluntarily per guidance from gurus, sadhus, and shastras.

a vedic woman chooses to think her husband as a deity, and worsips him. she prefers to agree withhim and not insult him or argue with him. a man perfers to consult with his wifel also if he knows that she is smarter/wiser in some aspects.

thus vedic spouses do not compete with each other, but augment each other willingly and respectfully.

hope it helps.

-------------------

i have a suggstion for the vedic teenagers:

when you want to learn about hinduism,

please ask but in such a way

that it shows you respect hinduism and so want to learn, and are not critisizing or looking down at it.

rest assured that if you hate the vedic culture, then it means you do not know correctly what it is.

so please be eager to know the truth from good sources.

once you know the truth, i am sure your respect for the vedic culture and dharma will increase.

Guest guest

Maadhav... do you still think i hate vedic culture? are u crazy? i do not know how much question insulted you, everyone gave a very good answer, but you questioned me back, taking the defensive. i wonder why...

anyway thank you for your answer, it was satisfying to me.

do not worry... i have put much effort reading on Vedanta and other things of Hinduism. i know Truth already... Tat tvam Asi, Sivoham... i am waiting for my realization that i am That Pure Non-dual Consciousness.

And as for women! i see every single one as an incarnation of Divine Mother!!!

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

--

Om Namah Shivaya

Guest guest

what about women who don't want to get married or unmarried women? I'm catholic. women should give their love in one of two ways, either dedicate themselves to god (as a nun) or get married and have a family. what if a woman doesn't want to choose neither of those possibilities? it's just an example, though. what do you as hindus think about this? there surely are hindu women who don't want to get married...or simply don't marry...?

a temple is a community place, and some who come there may get unduely attracted to the priest if she is a young women.

theis could cause sinful activity. to avoid such happening, the poojaris are males, and mostly married.

Females and males get turned on and are attracted to the opposite sex. I do not see the reason mentioned above as valid because I'm sure a female could avoid sinful activity if a man likes her just as a male can avoid any sinful activity. Besides a female can like a male priest too even though he be married.

Guest guest

Contribute to society and its well being everday. Don't wait for social roles to be titled and defined for you, although its convenient surely.

That's the only way to be in sync wth society which is changing everyday.

For the initiator of the thread..I would suggest to wait for the time to get married. Change the thinking in the society, if you want, by changing the way you treat women within your family. Lead by example. And make sure the women in your family become a good example for others in society.

Don't crib like politicians and oppositions regarding nyayam..annyayam. There is a lot to learn from the silence of kanchin sankarachya, afer the stupid treatment met. He is commited to helping the people. I am sure he'll dare to collect more money and continue to help the needy and poor, and yet not yield to politicians. I wish he doen't yield to the psuedo people's demand to look religious by giving theertham (holy water) in palms, and get submerged in ritualism.

Guest guest

Dear all,

May the almighty guide you , love to you.

All religions have always dicriminated against the women. Hinduism is no exception.Hinduism does not give many rights to women.Manusmriti, Yagnyawalkya smriti, Mahabharat & the puranas are open about it.They do not justify it.It is we who try to justify this inhuman behevior towards women.

A woman having her period is a normal biological phenomenon.Hinduism wrongly considers her impure.All these so called shankaracharyas would not have been born without this biological phenomenon.

Let us accept that it was wrong [the general treatment of women in hinduism] and correct it. No religion is perfect, so there is nothing wrong in refoming these injustices.What is wrong is trying to justify the horrors such as Sati, Dowry burning ,Chaddar odhana[in Panjab]

Please do not take offence letus discuss this in a rational manner

Hello

I feel no problem in the Hindu culture.

Did any women complain ever that she want to be a priest?

Sati and Dowry are only social injustices and are attributed to the respective society.Hinduism does not ask men to burn widows and dowry is also not a compulsary thing.

Hinduism puts some controls on her during periods. eg: she cant go to temples. It is only to keep the sanctity.

"Lord Krishna married Devi Rukmini without any dowry"

Jai Sriman Narayana:

We can only discuss rationally provided we accept some common scripture or a common Aacharya. You seem to be rejecting the books that we consider holy. So, please provide one that you realized and wrote yourself which you consider as better than the Gita, Manu Smritis etc and then we will compare and discuss rationally.

Otherwise, we may end up quoting verses from the Gita, Puranas etc and you would only be rejecting those based on your mental speculation and so-called logical thinking.

Guest guest

Dear Narayandasa,

Love to you

I have no objection to accepting Sruti,smriti, puranas as scriptures.i dp object and discard wrong things. for example Manusmriti says that a woman is so lustful she will sleep with anyone. Doyou expect me to accept that? This is demeaning 'Ma jagad janani' in a woman.We should then reject such things. A woman is not impure during her period.these very periods give rise to a new seed and a new life ,which is os holy. We should therefore allow a woman to visit the temple during her period.

Once again we must see godin everything ,so lots of love to you.

Guest guest

Sandhya, The question is not if women want to become priests, the question is of a fandamental right ,i.e. if she is permitted by the scriptures to become one.

How a woman going to temple during her mensus [period] despoils the sanctity of a temple?God has given the period so he will not mind recieving a woman visting a temple.

Manu smriti was written some few thousand years ago and you can imagine how that world would have been. You and I know nothng about that period except what the manu smriti says. So, do not take that as an excuse to vent out your frustrations here. You should read other purans too about Andal and many other women saints of our Hindu margam. Do not blame the sastras for the wrong doing of society and ignorant people who do not have much knowledge about Hinduism.

There is a certain period in a women's life where they too can par take in rituals in temples or home. That is when she has completed her menopause, she can participate in all rituals. There is a reason for not allowing a woman to par take if she has not completed he menopause. Hindusim is perfect but those who interprete it are imperfect. Like they say if all men are right the world would also be right. It is because of these unrighteous men we say te word is cruel. So Hinduism is perfect in the sense that if we do the right thing which benefit the society on the whole otherwise it would be a good example like you blaming the religion whithout realizing the real issue here.

It's like Islam where some Muslims would like to live the life of 6th century. They would discard television, telephone, chairs and tables and what not. So who is to be blame here? It's some of the followers who think they know all and would like to teach others how to lead their life according the the religion they think they understand better..

Guest guest

Hari OM

Temples, priests etc., are modern concepts, not mentioned in Scriptures or even Puranas, so where did you get the concept of Scriptures preventing women becoming priests?

Varnasama Dharma gives duties to each group depending on their capacities.

A duty given to women is to produce children, take care of them and make them god-loving and good people (the same duty is for all the four Varnas, even though their Men have different duties)

A child can feel it is discriminated against becoming Head of the family

An old man can feel he is discriminated against enjoying the worldly pleasures and forced into the forest

A Brahmin can feel he is discriminated against becoming a King (even if the Brahmin is an incarnation of God-- when Parasuram tried to became king he was discouraged)

A Man can feel he is discriminated against becoming pregenant

The list is endless.

There are only two options:

1) Accept VarnaAshrama as God-given and do your alloted duty without remorse and without feeling of discrimination

2) Reject Varanashrama embrace some other methods , and see whether your woes are coming to an end, reducing or increasing.

hello,

sandhya, The question is not if women want to become priests, the question is of a fandamental right ,i.e. if she is permitted by the scriptures to become one.

How a woman going to temple during her mensus [period] despoils the sanctity of a temple?God has given the period so he will not mind recieving a woman visting a temple.

A child would be more conscious of such matters.

Dont you know what makes a woman impure during their periods?

You would not have asked this Qn if you had at least some knowledge about biological phenomenon that are going on in the woman's body.

What I have told now is enough(more?) and everyone should have understood what I am saying.

You say God has given the mensus and has no probs if women enter temple ?I dont think God had said that to you. You are speculating.God has given other things also..Would anyone want to pass them on the adytum?

The people who wrote the scriptures were no fools like us.

They knew what is correct and what is wrong.

If one cannot tolerate the pure Hindu customs, he is free to go to Christianity and others.Then you and your women can enter the church without taking a bath and even in the periods, women can go inside.

Read about women in vedic religion:

In ancient India, women occupied a very important position, in fact a superior position to, men. It is a culture whose only words for strength and power are feminine -"Shakti'' means "power'' and "strength.'' All male power comes from the feminine. Literary evidence suggests that kings and towns were destroyed because a single woman was wronged by the state. For example, Valmiki's Ramayana teaches us that Ravana and his entire clan was wiped out because he abducted Sita. Veda Vyasa's Mahabharatha teaches us that all the Kauravas were killed because they humiliated Draupadi in public. Elango Adigal's Sillapathigaram teaches us Madurai, the capital of the Pandyas was burnt because Pandyan Nedunchezhiyan mistakenly killed her husband on theft charges.

In Vedic times women and men were equal as far as education and religion was concerned. Women participated in the public sacrifices alongside men. One text mentions a female rishi Visvara. Some Vedic hymns, are attributed to women such as Apala, the daughter of Atri, Ghosa, the daughter of Kaksivant or Indrani, the wife of Indra. Apparently in early Vedic times women also received the sacred thread and could study the Vedas. The Haritasmrti mentions a class of women called brahmavadinis who remained unmarried and spent their lives in study and ritual. Panini's distinction between arcarya (a lady teacher) and acaryani (a teacher's wife), and upadhyaya (a woman preceptor) and upadhyayani ( a preceptor's wife) indicates that women at that time could not only be students but also teachers of sacred lore. He mentions the names of several noteworthy women scholars of the past such as Kathi, Kalapi, and Bahvici. The Upanishads refer to several women philosophers, who disputed with their male colleagues such as Vacaknavi, who challenged Yajnavalkya. The Rig Veda also refers to women engaged in warfare. One queen Bispala is mentioned, and even as late a witness as Megasthenes (fifth century B.C. E.) mentions heavily armed women guards protecting Chandragupta's palace.

Louis Jaccoliot, the celebrated French author of the Bible in India: Hindoo Origin of Hebrew and Christian Revelation said: "India of the Vedas entertained a respect for women amounting to worship; a fact which we seem little to suspect in Europe when we accuse the extreme East of having denied the dignity of woman, and of having only made her an instrument of pleasure and of passive obedience." He also said: "What! here is a civilization, which you cannot deny to be older than your own, which places the woman on a level with the man and gives her an equal place in the family and in society."

http://www.atributetohinduism.com/Women_in_Hinduism.htm#Women%20as%20Purohita%20-%20priests

great women of India

--

[Home][About Us][Membership][Member List][Links][Kids][Feedback][Magazines][Dealers][societies][Articles][WhatsNew]

Women have a special place of pride and honour in the Indian Society. Their role in nation building is also well recognized. Like men they too have excelled in every walk of life.

If we turn the pages of History we come across great women rulers, queen warriors, women leaders, women Freedom Fighters, women saints, scholars, writers, social workers and what have you? . The country remembers them and honours them and brings out commemorative postage stamps in their fond memory even after they are gone. Some like are the following:

WOMEN WARRIORS

RANI LAXMIBAI OF JHANSI (1834 - 1858)

Rani Laxmibai's courage, deeds of valour and heroic battle against the British have become the theme of many a folklore and ballad in the country. She is the immortal warrior the country has ever seen. Even as a child Laxmibai learnt horse riding and sward fighting. When both her husband Raja Gangadhar Rao of Jhansi and her only son died in 1853 she adopted a son and made him the heir to the throne. The British Governor General Dalhousie refused to recognize her adopted son as heir to the throne and ordered annexation of Jhansi into British Raj. Rani Laxmibai refused to part with Jhansi. A fierce fight ensued. The Rani fought the British undauntedly leading her forces from the front and showed great courage and skill. She was fatally wounded in the battle and she breathed her last on 18-06-1858.

KITTUR RANI CHENNAMMA (1778 - 1829)

Chennamma received training in horse riding , sword fighting and archery in her young age. She was married to Raja Mullasarja of Kittur, a princely state of Belgaum in Karnataka. Her husband died in 1816. Her only son died in 1824. Chennamma adopted Shivalingappa as her son and made him heir to the throne. The British did not accept this and ordered the expulsion of Shivalingappa. The Rani defied the order. A great battle ensued. The Rani fought the British with great courage and skill. She could not, however, hold out for long. She was taken captive and lodged in Bailhongal Fort where she died on 21-02-1829.

RANI DURGAWATI

When Dalpat shah, the ruler of Gondwana (present day Madya Pradesh), died in 1548 his infant son Bir Narayan become the ruler. Rani Durgawati took up the reins of governance on behalf of her son and administered the Kingdom most ably and benevolently for 16 years from 1548 to 1564. Gondwana, however, fell a victim to the aggressive designs of the Moghal Emperor Akbar of Delhi in 1564. He ordered his general Asaf Khan to occupy Gondawana. Rani Durgawati led her forces against the invading army and fought with great skill and bravery. Ultimately when her defeat become imminent she plunged her dagger into herself choosing death to dishonour.

RANI AVANTIBAI

When Vikramaditya Singh, the ruler of Ramgarh State died leaving behind his wife Avantibai and no heir to the throne, the British put the state under court administration. Avantibai vowed to win back her land from the British. She raised an army of four thousand men and led it herself against the British in 1857. A fierce battle ensured and Avantibai fought most valiantly but could not hold out for long against the superior strength of the British army. When her defeat become imminent she killed herself with her own sword and became a martyr on 20-03-1858.

JALKARI BAI

The folklore of Bundelkhand (part of Jhansi State then ) are full of heroic exploits of Jalkari Bai. She was a village girl and hailed from a very poor family. It is said that she had an encounter with a tiger while she was collecting firewood in the jungle and she killed the tiger single handed with her axe. She had a striking resemblance to Rani Laxmibai of Jhansi and because of this Rani took interest in her and inducted her into the women's wing of the army.

During 1957-58 there were several British raids on Jhansi Fort and the Rani repulsed every one of the attacks. Later when the fall of fort became imminent Jalkari bai and some generates convinced Laxmibai to escape quietly with the help of supporters. In a ploy to deceive the British, Jalkari bai dressed herself up like the Rani and took command of the army. The British found out the truth, but it was too late. The Rani had covered a considerable distance by then. Jalkaribai fought the British forces valiantly but was eventually forced to surrender. The British general, impressed by her loyalty, courage and fighting prowess treated her with respect and set her free.

WOMEN LEADERS BHIKAIJI CAMA (1861-1936)

Madam Bhikaiji Cama was the mother of Indian revolution. She was born in a rich Parsi family and was married to Rustum Cama, a well known solicitor of Bombay. The political events in India influenced her deeply and she delved deep into politics.

In 1907 Madam Cama attended the second International Socialist Congress at Stutgart, Germany where she presented India's case for Independence most forcefully and at the end of her speech she unfurled the Indian Tricolour with Vande Mataram insigmia thereon for the first time on foreign soil and made history for India by asking the congregation to stand up and salute.

This woman of extraordinary courage and intelligence passed away on 16-08-1936.

BEGUM HAZRAT MAHAL

Begum Hazrat Mahal was also known as Begum of Avadh. During the First War of Independence in 1957-58 the British deported her husband Nawab Wajid Ali Shah of Lucknow to Calcutta. The Begum joined hands with the mutineers and seized control of Lucknow. She rejected with contempt the promises of allowance and status held out to her by the British and resisted the British forces with all her might. she, however, could not hold out for long and escaped to Nepal where she died in 1879.

ARUNA ASAF ALI (1909 - 1996)

She was born in a Bengali Brahma Samaj family at Kalka in Haryana. She married Asaf Ali a prominent lawyer of Delhi against convention. She actively participated in the National Movement for Independence. Following the arrest of all congress leaders in 1942 she went underground to guide the movement evading police arrest. She became the symbol of the spirit of youth in this country guiding and leading the National Movement from underground. She remained underground till 1946 when the warrant of arrest was withdrawn. Aruna belonged to the heroic age of Freedom Movement. With this background, after Independence she could not adjust to the political realities and chose to live in retirement till her death on 29th July 1996. She was awarded Bharat Ratna (1997) Posthumously.

RANI GAIDINLIU (1915 - 1993)

Born in Nangkao village of Manipur she came in contact with the political and spiritual leader of the Nagas Haripau Jadonang who started a movement to drive away the British from Manipur. When Jadonang was hanged by the British Gaidinliu took over the leadership and challenged the Britishers. The British Govt. tried to suppress her movement. She went underground. The army made a house to house search and finally captured her in 1932 and sentenced her to life imprisonment. Jawaharlal Nehru called her "Rani of the Nagas" for her indomitable spirit and aggressive fight against the British. She spent more than 15 years in jail and was released only after Independence. She was honoured with Tamrapatra and Padma Bhushan. She died on 17-02-1993.

ANNIE BESANT (1847-1933)

(The year of Birth is incorrectly shown on the stamp )

From the time she landed in India in 1893 and till her death in 1933, Annie Besant worked whole heartedly for the advancement of India in every field - educational, social, religious and political. Though born an English woman she turned an Indian by her love for this country. She was the founder of Theosophical Society in Madras. In 1917 she was elected the Congress President at the Calcutta Session. With the active support of Sir Tej Bahadur Sapru and Rt. Honourable V.S. Srinivasa Shastry Annie Besant worked whole heartedly towards fulfilment of Indian political aspirations. She died in 1933.

SAROJINI NAIDU (1879-1949)

Born in Hyderabad, she was the eldest of the eight children of Aghorenath Chattopadhyay and Baradasundari. She passed her matriculation at the age of 12 standing first in the whole of Madras Presidency. She did her higher studies in London. She was a poet of merit and her proems received rave reviews in the English press. She came to be regarded as the Nightingale of India. She had a happy married life with Dr. M. Govindarajulu Naidu, Chief Medical Officer to the Nizam of Hyderabad.

Sarojini Naidu was in the forefront of the National Movement. She was elected the Congress President at Kanpur Session in 1925. She went to jail several times. After Independence she became the Governor of UP and she died in office on 2-3-1949.

WOMEN LEADERS - II KASTURBA GANDHI (1869-1944).

She was the daughter of Gokuladas Makharji of Porbunder. She was married to Gandhi at the age of 13. Simple and self- effacing she stood devotedly by her great husband in all his trials and tribulations. She was in the thick of the Freedom Movement and went to jail several times. The shock of country wide arrests during Quit India Movement deteriorated her health and she suffered a severe heart attack. She breathed her last on 22-2-1944.

KAMALA NEHRU (1899-1936)

She was the daughter of Pandit Jawaharlal Mul, a businessman of Delhi. Married to Jawaharlal Nehru at the age of 17 she gave birth to the only daughter Indira Priyadarshini. Within 3 years of marriage her husband plunged into Non-cooperation Movement under the leadership of Mahatma Gandhi. Kamala was a woman of great courage and determination and she also threw herself into the Civil Disobedience Movement and the historic Dandi March by Mahatma Gandhi. Her brave and heroic role in the freedom struggle left an indelible imprint on the Nationalist Movement. She died at a very young age on 28-02-1936.

DURGABAI DESHMUKH (1909 - 1981)

She was the mother of social work in India. She was born in a middles class Andhra family in Kakinada. In 1937 she founded Andhra Mahila Sabha in Madras which to-day runs two hospitals, 2 colleges and 3 high schools. As Member of . she worked to set up a social welfare board on 13-8-1953 to carry out programmes of educating, training and rehabilitating the needy women, children and the disabled. She was the recipient of a number of awards including Padma Bhushan and the UNESCO award for outstanding work in the field of literacy.

RAJKUMARI AMRIT KAUR (1889 - 1964)

She was born in a Royal family of Kapurtala. Her father was Raja Harnam Singh. She had her education in London. When she returned to India at the age of 20 her father kindled in her the flame of National Movement. She took part in Salt Satyagraha and Quit India Movement and also became an active social worker. She was the first woman to hold a post in the cabinet as Minister in 1947. Her major contribution as Minister of Health was the setting up of All India Institute of Medical Sciences in New Delhi. She remained a Rajya Sabha Member till her death on 02-02-1964

RUKMINI LAXMIPATHI (1892-1951)

She was born in an agriculturist family in Madras and was married to Dr. Achanta Laxmipathi. Rukmini was deeply influenced by national leaders like Mahatma Gandhi, Sarojini Naidu and C. Ragopalachari. She joined the congress in 1923 and gave all her jewellery to Harijan Welfare Fund. She actively participated in Salt Satyagraha and had to undergo imprisonment for a year. She was elected to Madras Legislative Assembly in 1937, and served as Health Minister in T. Prakasan Ministry in 1946. She was a great social reformer and worked for the upliftment of women in society. She died on 6-8-1951.

VIJAYALAXMI PUNDIT (1900-1990)

She was the younger sister of Jawaharlal Nehru. She was the first woman to be elected president of the United Nations General Assembly (1953-54). She joined the National Movement inspired by Gandhiji's call and courted arrest in 1932 and 1940. She served as ambassador of India in USSR, USA, Mexico, Ireland and Spain and also as High Commissioner of UK. She was elected to Loksabha in 1952 and 1964 and served as Governor of Maharashtra during 1962-64.

INDIRA GANDHI (1917-1984)

Born in Allahabad she had education in Switzerland, Oxford, Bombay, Pune and at Shantiniketan. She married Feroz Gandhi in 1942 and had two sons Rajiv Gandhi and Sanjay Gandhi.

She provided dynamic leadership to the country as Prime Minister from 1966 - 1977 and again from 1980-1984. She abolished privy purses, nationalized Banks and launched a twenty - point programme for the eradication of poverty in the country. She had been the recipient of many International and National awards including Bharat Ratna in 1972 She was assassinated on the morning of 31-10-1984 and India lost a most charismatic leader in her death.

MEERA BEHN (1892 - 1982)

She was born as Madeleine Slade in an aristocratic family in England. She read Romain Rolland's book 'Mahatma Gandhi' at one sitting and this changed the course of her life. She came to India and remained with Gandhiji. Gagndhiji gave her the name Meera in view of her devotion to him and her dedication and service to India. In India she was sent to Kanya Gurukul at Dehradun where she studied Hindi and scriptures and taught English there.

She accompanied Gandhiji to the Round Table Conference in 1932 and acted as Gandhiji's interpreter in the continents on their way back. She joined the Satyagraha Movement and was imprisoned once with Kasturba and twice by herself. She was arrested along with Bapu on 9-8-1942 and was in the Aghakhan Palace Detention camp till May 1944.

On 18-1-1959 she left the shores of India and settled in a small village near Vienna and died there on 20-7-1982 . She was awarded Padma Vibhushan in January 1982.