IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
newhindu05

Sanatana Dharma's future

Rate this topic

Hi, I'm new to this forum and to Hinduism. I'm American and come from a non-religious family. I consider myself Hindu, even though some say you can't officially convert. I want to help start more organizations and leagues for Hindus and Sanatana Dharma. I wanted to ask, if having Hindu missionaries and schools of study about Hinduism is O.K. I know Hindus can't proselytize, but I think the world would be better for it. It wouldn't be a matter of converting people, but teaching them about Hinduism and letting them decide. I want people to learn about true Sanatana Dharma. I think we need to be involved in more charities and opening more hospitals and ophanages. We need to stop letting people define our religion and speak up for ourselves. What I want to know is non-aggressive proselytizing O.K. Also should Hindus be able to spread their philosophy to the same degree as christianity has in the since of organizations, leagues, and missionary work etc... Again all in a non-aggressive way. I really think the world needs Hinduism and other Hindus need to teach them. We definately could take a note from christianity on organization. My last thought is would Hinduism lose some of it's uniqueness if it became commercialized like christianity.

Guest guest

and is definitely acceptable and respectable. Hinduism may not force itself upon the world, but it does encourage teaching and peaceful, voluntary conversions.

Guest guest

There is nothing to learn from christianity for conversion.

Organizations like christianity have been based so much on belief than actions. As it's centered around beliefs, there are other seniors in the religion required to endorse the same.

So If I say, I believe in christianity, and another senior of a church recommends a body to recognize me as a christian, then I become a christian. This is just an example, as this is true for islam or some of the hindu groups pushing bakthy.

Therefore all this remains as a supreficial level. As it's all superficial, there is a struggle in the world to seperate an extremist follower of religion and a peaceful one, as the extremist followers are maturing to look so damn cool.

The principles have to be based upon actions and seva, as explained in BG. One is a hindu so long as he understands and acts based on the spiritual advice based on BG. For those moments when one acts based on delusions of attachements and desire, one is not a hindu. This is ideal situation.

For now, so long as one acts in the world recognizing the ultimate goal as attaining moksha and spiritual self realization, one is still a hindu irrespective of occupation. Anybody is welcome.

Enagge is seva, organizing good satsanga and pravachan on scriptures, may be the things required if you were to found an organization to allow fellow americans into hinduism.

There is nothing to learn from christianity for conversion, but there is something to learn organizationally wise. I definately want to focus on Hindu scripture in studies. A lot of people, even non-christian, can quote the Bible on que. Not many non-hindus know much about the Vedas or Bhagavad-Gita and other Hindu scriptures. My goal would be educate people about Sanatana Dharma. I know superficial titles can't define everyones beliefs, but it is very possible to tell a christain and a Hindu apart in their beliefs. If christians didn't believe their was a difference they wouldn't try to convert people. Poverty would also be an important issue I want to tackle. Opening orphanages and schools/shelters for homeless and un-educated kids is a goal of mine.I know I have a long road to travel, but I'm positive it's the right one for me. Thanks again./images/graemlins/grin.gif

Guest guest

i think it's an awesome idea, and one you should pursue no matter what - if that is your purpose here on this earth then do it for God. i've been wanting to do the same where im at. i think there is tons we can learn from the organisation of the church, namely the use of youth education and empowerment, weekly youth groups for discussion of topics, childrens education on the gita and indepth analysis of the same. go to temples, deliver pamphlets, start up an organisation that distributes booklets for free with new theological material each week. get people to understand. the thing that hinduism lacks that churches have in spades is :

* excellent resources for understanding

* excellent practical and day to day examples whereby people can follow the religion correctly

* hindus constantly boast about the easily accessible nature of hinduism but they ignore that it's also its weakest point. with so many people 'choosing their path' you are bound to have a bunch of very confused and very complacent followers - we require methods to stick by

ive started small by attending vedanta conferences and distributing quotes by vivekananda to people. i hope to teach children later on. it is of vital importance we DO something to keep this moving, keep sanathana alive and kicking, so it never gets distorted. how many of us are willing to play a part? or do we only care about ourselves?

Guest guest

{hindus constantly boast about the easily accessible nature of hinduism but they ignore that it's also its weakest point. with so many people 'choosing their path' you are bound to have a bunch of very confused and very complacent followers - we require methods to stick by}

I agree with this. It is a very valid criticism of Hinduism which needs to be discussed. There are some Hindu who claim to find their own path and make it up as they go along. These people will say to others that there is nothing to follow and by making up their own path they can attain moksha.

There are also too many sects already, which may be traced back to previous sects. As soon as there was a disagreement with an individual to his guru, he would start a new sect!

Namaste, newhindu05.

Congratulations on having the courage to declare yourself a Hindu. Part of my Western educated mind is still holding out. The only thing I don't like about your idea of spreading Hinduism is that I didn't think of it first.

Keep in mind that Christians and Muslims will resist anyone tesching the Dharma because they have too much invested in their harsh, punishing, authoritarian god. Western religions can't compete on a equal level with the Dharma; so they have to oppress and slander Hindus at every turn.