IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
vishiva

One question - on reading Bhagawath Geetha!

Rate this topic

Can any one tell me what if i read the BG in sanskrit even though i don't know the meaning. and also is it true? that when i read BG it is heard by the demigods and pitrus (ancestors) and krisna himself.

how in ones life it helps in spiritual life i need to know some good things on this .as I can tell people to read and encourage people to read BG.

my experience after i have read two times - part by part I am really enjoying the sanskrit verses as if i am doing a very good thing to myself. can't express or tell this but find something unusual.

I don't have any guru. but i pray "Krishna" before reading carry on reading for 15 mts daily morning and evening.

and i carry on if i am fit or not.in good health or not in good health. if in good mental position or if not in good mental position.

but can any one in the form of krishna tell me what is all about reading BG. and if i am doing good by just reading it with out understanding. Thanks

Hari OM:

Dear old friend -- you can both read and understand it, just need to take some effort--- either you study Sanskrit, or after reading a chapter in Sanskrit Verses, take a book with the corresponding english translation (preferably with transliteration) and understand the chapter [ i follow the second way]

Even though there is only one Gita, there are many different translations and views on Gita some few books which i had read are TattvaGyani (view Gita for Gyana Yoga],

Vivekanad (through Karma Yoga], Sri Prabupadha (through Bhakti Yoga), BVK (through Hatha Yoga] and there would other good authors and views. Each of the author seems to given lot of emphasis and lengthy description on the Slokas of their Path, while they seem to have given very short description or just transliteration for slokas on other paths. So may be you can try to read one book for every path and get the full meaning of all slokas.

There is mentioned in Gita itself, like what will be the results if you just read it, hear it with devotion, understand it and spread it (in the 18th chapter)

Guest guest

"what is all about reading BG". You may read the translations as appropriate.

A deluded arjuna trained for a task is deluded & anxious. Krishna compells him into action (right from his first sentence) weeding away the delusion and removing the anxiety. That's krishna's key motive. In the process, Krishna gives away in BG the essense of wisdom, which is his true spiritual nature.

Krishna considers arjuna as equal faculties to his. Krishna gives Arjuna the knowledge of spiritual wisdom and karma-yoga from his own true nature. Thus urging arjuna to act. A person looking for spiritual self realization might be interested in these sections.

Arjuna spaces out from krishna, saying that he may not be able to obtain the spiritual self realization as krishna adviced. And thus asks him for what next. Krishna consoles arjuna that self-realization is difficult for many & asks arjuna to surrender all actions and results to him. Thus urging him to act. A person looking for who's the one only god I should pray to, even without aspiring for spiritual self-realization, might be interested in these sections. The advice by krishna helps relax the mind of Arjuna from thinking all together of responsibilities of actions/results which is limiting Arjuna's natural capabilities. Surrendering actions and results is the only way to remove all inhibitors on ones own natural capabilities (even without spiritual self-realization).

Arjuna spaces out further from krishna considering him as god the supreme and ask him to show his viswa virat roopa and thus remove all his delusions. Krishna show his virat roopa and makes arjuna see his enemies die like fire flies into fire. Arjuna's delusion is cleared and he becomes ready to act. A person who's interested in predicting the results with the help of God even before engaging in action, might be interested in this. One can also interpret that Arjuna was ready to act not because he knew the result of the battle from the virat roopa, but because he now firmly believed from the virat roopa that he was on the path of dharma and the right path led by krishna, & he's only helping the dharma win.

Thus Gita addresses to all, not only for people aspiring for self-realization and liberation amidst their social responsibilities. So long as the path is as shown by krishna the chances are higher than otherwise to achieve liberation.

Recitation is the first step in learning. Reciting and recalling of mantras and slokas are done in the initial years of learning in Veda patashala. It is only after remembering the passages, an inquiry into the meaning is being done.

But most of us are not initiated into learning in this way. That is why we begin from learning the meanings. But if you have the time and inclination to do the recitation, don't give it up. By reciting, the original text gets into your mind.

As you learn the meaning, you will be able to recall the texts easily and relate them to other passages you have learnt and you will also know for sure that the passages do convey the meaning. You will also find yourself asking more questions and looking for answers which are not usually covered.

For instance in the 1st chapter in BG, every apprehension expressed by Arjuna starting from 'kulakshya krutham dosham' to what is that dharmE nashtE to the nashtam to sthree dharma to pithru dosham to the 'mahat paapam' wont leave your mind / attention if you remember them by habit of reading. Because every apprehension expressed by Arjuna is a loaded topic in Sanatana dharma. One may miss them if one goes through only the translations and commentaries.

Another advantage is when you come across the same expression at different places (like madbhavam in BG), which you will be aware only if you know the text. The context, the connection, the comparison and analysis that your mind will be automatically doing is an important step in learning.

More than all these, the sheer pleasure of reciting them in particular chandas is something to be exprienced.

The recitation does have its effect on your body. For instance, Adhi shankara's Govindhashtakam, is composed in such a way that when you recite it, you wont be taking any stop for breathing. The build of words is such that your breathing is taken care of by the recital itself.

just remembering and reciting gita in sanskrit

also gets krishna's mercy. it is like carrying on krishna's message for others, like a postman.

even if you do not know the meaning of each word of a verse, but know what is the message of the verse, then it gives you and others additional benefit and mercy or krishna.

per krishna's word in gita ch. 18 last part,

you become very dear to Him.

it is better to recite when others interested can hear it.

but you can recite alone just to memorize it.

yes, devas and He hears it.

it is important that you pronounce correctly in sanskrit.

thanks for your answers.Can any one tell me. is reciting of BG alone shall get to spiritual 'Sattva' gunam.

like i asked earlier if is it heard in the pitru loka or by devas or in any other plane as its transparent world does flow happiness among other worlds by reciting. and do they relish the recital.

can you ask your guru and let me know Please. thanks