IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Are all religions the same?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Some Hindus say that all religions are the same and it doesn't matter which you follow. I've never really believed this as it's absurd to think a religion like Islam is the same as Hinduism and will give you moksha when you die. Plus many teachings between religions are different. There are only very few similarities.

It has been thought that Sri Ramakrishna was reponsible for this way of thinking brought into Hinduism, which didn't include Islam and Christianity as equal paths before he lived.

What do you think? Are all religions really the same and equally true or is this a form of pacification made up by weak-minded Hindus who don't want to engage in debate with those of other religions because they may ruffle a few feathers? Please give your reasons of what you think. As we've seen here on this board there are Hindus who may think vaishnavism is superior and others saivism.

Below is an interesting article to read on the subject. The author is a western hindu-convert and asks if Hinduism reall teaches that 'All religions are the same' or not. It is said that only recent developments started by Sri Ramakrishna that people like Gandhi have been saying so and influencing Hindu society. But according to authentic Hinduism, historically speaking it was never so. Otherwise there woul've been no need for debates at Vanarasi. It is true that Hinduism accepts different paths to God, but these are different 'Vedic' paths, not other religions, though other religions teach some good, they are not the only truth.

http://www.boloji.com/hinduism/091.htm

Guest guest

Although there will be differences among all religions, without a doubt, there will be certain similar features. For example: the need to realise the divinity that quite frankly every human being finds beyond their reach. Ofcourse, this does not apply to the non-believer. But, when you try to practice your intended religion, you will find that the process is not the same as in another religion. Everyone wants to make their religion to be sought after more than the other. People will ultimately become judgemental about what the process is, how one is better than the other, and in this competitive mode, we will forget the divinity we sought out to seek in the first place.

There must have been just one single religion in our past...way back in time, we should try and see what that might have been like.

Are all religions really the same and equally true or is this a form of pacification made up by weak-minded Hindus who don't want to engage in debate with those of other religions because they may ruffle a few feathers?

Hindus should remember something ... till about 2,500, the concept of Religions almost non-existence. They did have Jainism and Buddhism, and split between Vishnu devotees and Shiva devotees were seen, but it didn't effect the public much and they still lived peacefully.

The hard borderline between one religion and another is started about 1,000 years ago, with coming of Islam (no, I'm not saying Islam is at fault). Till then, Hindus were under impression that others (non-Hindus) were living peacefully by different religion beliefs but still worship the same God. Coming of Islam with swords and clubs to enslave Hindus brought a rude awakening to this belief.

And then Christianity comes along, added fuel to the fire and further separated the society from the Truth. God which was seen as equally worshipped to all is now set according to religious standards.

Ask any Muslims whether Lord Vishnu and Allah is the same and they will say No. Ask any Christians whether Lord Vishnu and "the Father" is the same, they will say No also.

Those who do say "Yes" will do so with an excuse that, Hindusm is corrupted and Hindus should convert to the "latest" truth which is either Christianity or Islam.

All this shows that, Religion has nothing to do with God. Religion is way of life, but if that way is corrupted or do not bring you closer to God, what do you do? Reject it and find suitable ways.

Guest guest

Yes... you are right..when rules of engagement in the practice of your religion is met with a void in what you were seeking from it, it will frustate you. You will then say, this religion has nothing to do with God, may be I will seek another. You may find one or you may not. That does not mean however that that religion has nothing to do with God. It only looks that way to you and not to another. We have to accept that thro' times of yore many people who with a religious devotion have had great achievements in life and some attained great leadership positions. These people followed what suited them most and met their needs and did not think that religion and God is not connected with each other or religion has nothing to do with God.

This is one reason different groups of people choose seperate religions depending upon their own orientations.

God or Gods may or may not exist, but we seek them as best as we can if we believe in them. This means more than one religion till a time when every human being learns to respect one another for his or her belief in his or her GOD.

Guest guest

no.. religions are not the same

there's religions that properly followed bring back to god, some others bring close to god, some other give some advancement, some other can only destroy our faith in the absoluteness of the matter

such religions are all over the world and inside the hinduism too

hinduism is not one religion, hinduism is many religions with huge variety of effectiveness, together with many not-religions... joined together by a name who simply indicates "indian religion"

God or Gods may or may not exist, but we seek them as best as we can if we believe in them. This means more than one religion till a time when every human being learns to respect one another for his or her belief in his or her GOD.

This is an atheist's nonsense.

I have meet atheists who have similar nonsense, viewing Religion is same context as a drug - religious followers are drug addicts and religion is drug kind of statement. They view God/Gods as non-existence and those who follow path of spiritualism as drug addicts which trying to find relieve to their "pains".

As far as I know, atheists are animals ... it is useless to discuss Spiritualism with animals who do not have any. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Guest guest

Only a religious bigot would and could take such a position of absolute finality! Extreme Intolerence and prejudice towards the opinion that differs from ones own can lead a person to call another an animal!

How does such a person treat an animal?..as food, a possession, entertainment etc., etc?

Bigotry when implimented in religion can lead to one single religion. Is that what we should look for?

Guest guest

i agree with you on something. religion actually does have very little to do with god. religion is a sectarian creed that seperates rather than unifies people. human arrogance and pride then take over and people, with growing support from their peers, start asserting one faction over another and the followers grow hostile. this is what has happened to every major religious sect at some point in history everywhere. Religion is a way of life and one should change his/her religion in order to fit the lifestyle which they see brings them closest to god.

but as usual, i have differneces to point out as well. you say that religion as a concept started around 2500 years ago. actually this is not true. religion as a concept has been around for a long time. many followers of different concepts of religion have existaed in all parts of the world. it is most likely that 90 % of the world's religions in the past have been forgotten. many animistic religions have long been dead.

howeevr, when we talk about india, this cant be applied to her either. Even going as far back as 1700 BC, there as religious differences between the indra/deva worshippers (vedic people) of north india, pakistan, east afghanistan and the asura/ahura worshippers of zoroastrianism in persia, iran, west afghanistan.

in the puranas, mention of asuras doing this and that sometimes (im not saying always) referes to zoroastrians from persia, who had differences with the vedic people of north india.

The vedics worshipped Indra, Surya, Varuna, Agni, read the Vedas and revered devas over the evil asuras.

The zoroastrians worship ahura mazda (god of wisdom) and his forms. They dont read the vedas but revere ahuras over daevas. To them, ahura means lord and the daevas were worshipping wrong things.

This split from Vedism is seen as the earliest rleigious split or religious change among the indian rleigions. What Buddha did for Buddhism from Brahmanism, Zarathustra did for Zoroastrianism from Vedism.

However, scholars are still yet unsure whether the religion of harrappa, mohenjo-daro, mergahr, etc. , was a early form of shaivism or was vedism itself. if found to be shaivism, which i persoanlly believe, this would show a two-fold religious belief in india as far back as 3000 BC. I personally do believe that Vedism developed in the northindia/pakistan/afghan area which was all india up until the last 50 years. This is NO WAY means that the Aryan invasion is correct. It is not. I merely believe that Vedism developed in the far west india and shaivism developed in the south. Both spread everywhere becauseof acceptance, logical philsophy and many thousounds of years of interaction

Guest guest

{However, scholars are still yet unsure whether the religion of harrappa, mohenjo-daro, mergahr, etc. , was a early form of shaivism or was vedism itself. if found to be shaivism, which i persoanlly believe, this would show a two-fold religious belief in india as far back as 3000 BC. I personally do believe that Vedism developed in the northindia/pakistan/afghan area which was all india up until the last 50 years. This is NO WAY means that the Aryan invasion is correct. It is not. I merely believe that Vedism developed in the far west india and shaivism developed in the south. Both spread everywhere becauseof acceptance, logical philsophy and many thousounds of years of interaction}

Interesting. What makes you think Shaivism developed in the South? It looks like an early form of Saivism was there in the Indus Valley civilisation and this is in the north. Let's not forget both Kashmir and Vanarasi have long been associated with Saivism since ancient times. And Rudra is mentioned in the Vedas. To me it looks like the vedic people were non-sectarian and their tradition resembled the smarta approach to worship. Within the vedic community they worshipped different devas. The different devas correspond to the attibutes of the Divine or ultimate reality which was later referred to as Brahman. Rudra was just one of the devas, representing destruction.

Extreme Intolerence and prejudice towards the opinion that differs from ones own can lead a person to call another an animal!

Why do I call Atheists animals? Here's my answer :

1. Atheists do not believe in God. They don't believe that God made (or responsible in ANY WAY in creating) Humans. In Hindusm, Brahma in directly in charge of creating ALL living and non-living objects in the physical plains.

2. Atheists do not believe in Soul. For them, NOTHING will survive after death of a body.

3. Atheists do not believe in Religion. Many atheists I have meet have labelled Religion as some sort of drug and religious followers (collectively known as theists) as drug addicts, wanting to believe whatever they want to believe.

4. Spiritualism do not exists. To an atheist, Spiritualism means hard work, love etc, and nothing to do with Supernatural.

Since atheists do not believe in God responsible for human physical form and do not believe in Souls within human body, then they view Man as just another product of nature - an Animal. In such way, calling them animals is justified.

I mean ... if you are a human being who follow Hindusm, me calling you Hindu is justified. You cannot possibly argue with me, stating I shouldn't call you a Hindu but a Human being, right?

religion as a concept has been around for a long time. many followers of different concepts of religion have existaed in all parts of the world. it is most likely that 90 % of the world's religions in the past have been forgotten. many animistic religions have long been dead.

True ... as if God pushing Evolution through creation and annihilations of religion.

The vedics worshipped Indra, Surya, Varuna, Agni, read the Vedas and revered devas over the evil asuras.

Not all Asuras are evil, you know. Do I have to remind you that Phalatan and Maha Bali was two Asuras who devoteed to Lord Vishnu and many Asuras (like Ravana) was devotee of Lord Shiva.

This is NO WAY means that the Aryan invasion is correct.

I don't believe in Aryan Invasion either. I believe the Concept of Aryan Invasion was something the British government cooked up in attempt to modify India's past. They probably viewed Muslims as Aryans (because they came from the west and invaded India for a long time and there is no records for how long they were there). Maybe it was British's attempt to muster Indians to overthrow Muslims and install themselves as rulers over India.

Also, as for Shaivaism ... I have a theory.

200,000 years ago, Man moved out from Africa and settled in place known as Mesotampia today (in Iran). From there, another group went to India and by 180,000 years ago, they already in India and settled in lower, much warmer climate region in the south where food can be harvested easily. I believe this group is the one who considered as Shaviaties today. That is my theory.

Guest guest

i thought the south because the south has an overwhelmingly more shavites than vaishnavs. but as u say, varanasi and kashmir are major shiva woshipping sites. perhaps shavism was worshipped all over india. this would however fuel the fire that burns within the people that say aryans came and displaced the dravidians.

Guest guest

I think your concept of religion is just considering India only. According to Islam, Christianithy and Jews 'Adam' is the first human being in the world. He was a Prohet as well. The other prophets are Noah, Ibrahim, Moses, Jesus and the last prophet is Muhammad. Moses is the prophet of Jews and Jesus is the Prophet of Christians and Muhammad for Muslims. But if you analyse well, u can see that, no where in the Jews scripts or in the teachings of Moses, say that their religion is called Jews. It is later after Moses, they named because of their tribe's name. But Moses never said our religion is Jews. Similarly, Jesus also never said or anywhere in the Bible says, our religion is called Christianity or we are christians. It is the anti christs who called them christians and it became the name of their religion later after Jesus. Even Hindu religion, we know that there wasn't any name, in fact we can say 'Sanadhana Dharma' and most of the Hindu Scholars say its not a religion but its a way of living, right?. But Islam in their holy book and the final revelation of God 'Quran' says that none of the religion is accepted to Allah except Islam. And be aware well that the meaning of Islam is Peace or submitting all the will to the True God.

The basic and the main teaching of Islam is "There is no God, But Allah'. Prophet Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah.

Sameway we can see that, Jesus was teaching the same. Moses was teaching the same. Even if you read the Vedas, Rigveda , Yajurveda, Samaveda or the Atharva Veda, teaches the same principle. but later people started making shapes of God, started drawing the God in their view. otherwise, Vedas strictly forbidden giving shapes or any similarities to God. "Na Tasya pratima asti".

Guest guest

{But Islam in their holy book and the final revelation of God 'Quran' says that none of the religion is accepted to Allah except Islam.}

Yeah but we don't accept Islam or it's prophet as true and it's well known that muslims don't accept other religions and want to kill or convert everyone. Only muslims have the belif in koran being final revalation and the world consists of many more religions that differ in beliefs. Just because Islam says adam was the first prophet, it doesn't make it so as it is not historically accurate and doubtful that Adam ever existed, it's just a belief that the Abrahamics have. Religions were around before Judaism, some have died out, some are still there (e.g. Hinduism, Zorastrianism).

Hinduism being a way of life is another way of looking at religion. Maybe the word 'religion' is too narrow to describe Hinduism, thats why people don't like to use it.

According to Islam, Christianithy and Jews 'Adam' is the first human being in the world. He was a Prohet as well.

The part of Adam and Eve comes in later times after Moses had finished his tasks of leading the Hebrews to the Promised Land.

Christians made the Genesis scene and made it look like Satan made Adam and Eve fall from Grace thus creating the "Original Sin" concept.

Islam came and added Adam as a "Prophet" - highest status a MAN can have according to Islam. Eve's role (despite of being Mother to ALL) is still as slaves to Man.

The basic and the main teaching of Islam is "There is no God, But Allah'. Prophet Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah.

So why is it that you MUST believe in Muhammad to be faithful to Allah?

What is the difference between Muslims saying Muhammad is a prophet and saying Jesus is a son of a God? I don't see ANY difference between both since there is ONE common link - both Christians AND Muslims MUST put blind faith in Jesus and Muhammad (no matter how faulty they are) in order to reach God.

Moses was teaching the same.

Nope, not same. Hebrews do not need to believe whether Moses was a prophet, a king or a Man, the teaching he had given is what God have gave to Hebrews and as long as they hold on to it, they will reach God. There is NO statement WHATSOEVER stating that Hebrews MUST believe in Moses in order to reach God like in Christianity and Islam.

Even if you read the Vedas, Rigveda , Yajurveda, Samaveda or the Atharva Veda, teaches the same principle. but later people started making shapes of God, started drawing the God in their view. otherwise, Vedas strictly forbidden giving shapes or any similarities to God. "Na Tasya pratima asti".

No such laws were given where God stated that man cannot make image of God. Even Kaballah is the image of God (Yes, according to the Vedas as well) ... but you are forgiven if you cannot see it.

Guest guest

Ramakrishna did not say that all relgions are the same. He said all lead to the same just as all rivers finally flow to the ocean. He had a vision of Jesus after gazing lovingly at a photo of mother & child. He also had a vision of Muhammad after following the islamic way of life. Both personalities merged into his body. That aside, he who was known as kali's child and also practised into devotion as Radha. Sita and Hanuman, the likes of whichwe can never imagine. The conclusion that he reached is that each should follow his own path or that which is natural to him due to past life influences. The end was never in doubt.. Water though called panneer and Jela or whatever is still water, that was his sublime point.. So while there are differences, it is the state of mind,purity adn devotion that leads one to god and not dogmas..

"Nope, not same. Hebrews do not need to believe whether Moses was a prophet, a king or a Man, the teaching he had given is what God have gave to Hebrews and as long as they hold on to it, they will reach God. There is NO statement WHATSOEVER stating that Hebrews MUST believe in Moses in order to reach God like in Christianity and Islam."

Jews beleive in yahweh, thats what they call their god.

Talking about where man came from different religions have different philosophies for eg. The Jewish Kabbalah tradition teaches of man's descent from the highest spiritual world through a series of planes ending with his reincarnation in a physical body.

Hinduism too has its philosophy which is different from the jewish one..

""Hinduism has several creation accounts, of which the central is found in the Rig Veda of the Cosmic Man, Purusha, who was sacrificed by the Gods to create man. The Purusha is a divine emanation of God, and can be understood in at least one sense as the individuation of consciousness, the personal aspect of God. It is this individuated consciousness that is offered and divided by the Gods to create all of the physical universe, men, animals and plants. Three-fourths of the Purusha remains "ascended high" and only "one fourth took birth again down here," as the hymn explains, meaning what we see is only one-fourth of reality, the remaining being in divine form. Further elaborations of the creation are told in the Puranas, Dharma Shastras and other Hindu scriptures. Manu Dharma Shastra I.11-119, for example, describes the creation of heaven and earth, of the soul, and of individual creatures. Manu, son of the first being, performed tapas, very difficult austerities, to create ten great sages who then created seven other Manus, who are progenitors of the human race in each age. ""

Hindu scriptures often speak of the many lokas or planes of existence and dvipa or islands. They talk of beings coming from other lokas to this loka, possibly even of spaceships in which they could travel. These lokas, however, are more commonly interpreted as other dimensions of existence rather than physical planets.

His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, founder of ISKCON, addressed this question in his commentary of Srimad Bhagavatam: "According to Vedic understanding, the entire universe is regarded as an ocean of space. In that ocean there are innumerable planets, and each planet is called a dvipa, or island. The various planets are divided into fourteen lokas. As Priyavrata drove his chariot behind the sun, he created seven different types of oceans and planetary systems, known as Bhuloka." Srila Prabhupada also stated that according to the Vedic tradition there are 400,000 species in the universe with humanlike form, many of them advanced beyond us.

Other parts of Hindu scripture refer to travel to other worlds. The Rig Veda hymns on death speak of man's soul traveling to the sun and the moon, then returning to Earth.

Talking about hindusim, there is evidence that hinduism at one time was the most dominant religion in the world...from to europe to the middle east most people followed hinduism there in the ancient times(not medieval).

Read "proof of vedic cultures global influence" by stephen knapp.....there is a chapter in it..

How JUDAISM, Christianity, Islam, and Buddhism were all influenced by the Vedic tradition and still contain many Vedic elements within them, not the other way round.

this is a vdery good website to read, it may be a bit cumbersome but interesting...

http://www.atributetohinduism.com/Hindu_Culture.htm

Satya yuga (golden age) 4,000,000 years

Treta yuga (silver age) 3,600,000 years

Dvapara yuga (copper age) 2,400,000 years

Kali yuga (iron age) 1,200,000 years

Pralaya (cosmic deluge ) 4000,000 years

New Creation 400,000 years

Duration of One Cycle 12,000,000 years

<<

Satya yuga (golden age) 4,000,000 years

Treta yuga (silver age) 3,600,000 years

Dvapara yuga (copper age) 2,400,000 years

Kali yuga (iron age) 1,200,000 years

Pralaya (cosmic deluge ) 4000,000 years

New Creation 400,000 years

Duration of One Cycle 12,000,000 years >>

According to Prabhupada's literature the lengths of yugas are as follows.

Kali 432000 (only 5000 have passed at this time.)

Treta 2 x 432000

Dwapar 3 x 432000

Satya 4 x 432000

Yogi Yukteswar however beieved that kali has alread passed.

He has written a book about it, showing where the computing error has occured.

Guest guest

Thanks for your reply. But I have certain reservations about Sri Ramakrishna.

{He had a vision of Jesus after gazing lovingly at a photo of mother & child. He also had a vision of Muhammad after following the islamic way of life. Both personalities merged into his body.}

OK. But the Christian and muslims religions teach different ways, but how can they also be true if they are exclusive to their followers? They say that other religions are false, so how can this attitude the Abrahamic faiths have lead to the same God?

I find it very hard to believe he had a vision of Mohammed as there is no image of Mohammed so Ramakrishna wouldn't have known what he saw was Mohammed. What did he see...some Arab with a long beard? If Ramakrishna was wanting to see the Islamic concept of God - Allah it should've been Allah he saw not Mohammed. Muslims who follow 'the islamic way of life' have not had any vision of mohammed as their religion is to follow Koran and Hadiths, not to obtain a vision of Mohammed and have him merge into their bodies. Then why and how would Ramakrishna see Mohammed if he was living like a muslim?

Also Mohammed was violently against other religions, especially those that use idols to worship God and were not part of the Abrahamic tradition. He would certainly not aprove of Ramakrishna or his religion.

Guest guest

Once again you are seriously misinformed about other religions. Who told you christianity teaches other religions are false/cannot be saved etc? Do you know that the core christian belief is about loving everyone? It also includes the idea of how someone who is not a christian, but lives a good life, meets the grace of God for God created everyone.

You might see a few people calling themselves christians and condemning others, but don't generalize them all. Just as a few hindus still living on with the caste system, perform human sacrifices in the remote villages etc. doesn't mean all hindus are the same. They, the extremists etc. are just the rotten eggs in any given group.

Guest guest

{Once again you are seriously misinformed about other religions. Who told you christianity teaches other religions are false/cannot be saved etc?}

Actually I think it is you who is misinformed. I've been told by Christians that I won't be saved unless I believe in jesus as my savour. Why don't you go to India and tell the Christian missionaries that they are wrong and they don't need to convert others? Why not go to all the churches of the various denominations of Christianity and tell them that they should leave people of other religions alone (especially those who are poor) and let them practice their faith, there's no need to convert as the others live a good enough life? You wouldn't do that would you? Yet you think we would all fall for your words when the authorities on Christianity wouldn't agree with your views.

It is true that the 2nd Vatican council relaxed their views on other religions (but this was due to pressure and non-christian examples of humanity like Mahatma Gandhi) but is not accepted by all catholics who say it is against the religion and they don't approve of the Vatican reforms. You see after Gandhi it was hard for moderate Christians to believe Gandhi would be burning in hell for eternity when he lived a life of peace and non-violence - this left the Vatican in a dilemma.

By the way, Jesus Christ did teach that NOBODY goes to the father, except through him. He did tell his apostles to spread Christanity all over the world. And since Christianity believes in conversion and is an exclusive faith, it can hardly accept others. I know Christians believe in love thy neighbor and love thy enemy and treat others as you would like to be treated yourself, but this doesn't change the fact that they also believe that other religions are false, Jesus is mankind's only saviour and you have to believe in Jesus to get to heaven, all others will perish in hell.

Jews beleive in yahweh, thats what they call their god.

When Moses asked his God, who He was and what He had done, God simply replied that He is Eternal, so the name Yahweh comes out of that - which in Hebrew language means "He who is Eternal".

The Jewish Kabbalah tradition teaches of man's descent from the highest spiritual world through a series of planes ending with his reincarnation in a physical body.

Like I said before, Jews do not believe (or DENY) Reincarnation because Jewish Laws do not stated such concept. They concentrate in living properly and leave the matters of Afterlife to God.

Kaballah is study of God's attributes in order to understand Him better, NOT to ascend or descend Human spiritual plains.

Hindu scriptures often speak of the many lokas or planes of existence and dvipa or islands. They talk of beings coming from other lokas to this loka, possibly even of spaceships in which they could travel. These lokas, however, are more commonly interpreted as other dimensions of existence rather than physical planets.

Yeah ... I have read about such puranas where Lokas means Realms. And what amazing to me that, modern Science begin to discover concepts such as possibilities of Life on other worlds, Black Holes, MultiVerses (more than one Universe) etc.

BTW ... did you notice the name "uniVERSE"? Verse means a Word or maybe a Sentence and even this is accordance to Creation Myth in Hindusm, where the 1st sound which comes out God's crouchshell (which marks beginning of creation) is Oum.

How JUDAISM, Christianity, Islam, and Buddhism were all influenced by the Vedic tradition and still contain many Vedic elements within them, not the other way round.

Agreed.

Guest guest

as an israeli jewish i have to ask:

u write here things about jewdaism and kabalah that i never hard of.

i study about india and hinduism in an israeli university, and i am very curious where do u get this knowledge about jewdaism from?