IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
thiruvengadam

Meanings.....(Shiva/Vishnu)

Rate this topic

before i start this thread i would like to mention that this thread is not for debate about who is superior Shiva or Vishnu? this thread is only for discussing the meanings of the names of God and understand the real meaning of it and not mearly talk about stories.....kindly refrain from arrogan arguments....let not the silence be mistaken for weakness

Shiva = Auspecious

Vishnu = One who pervades every where

now tell me which is not auspecious.....all that pervades is auspecious....and Gods graces (auspeciouness) pervades everything....thus Shiva=Vishnu (Auspeciousness pervades the whole creation)

the namers were very careful and knowledgeable...look that the subtle truth the meanings implies.....

Isn't Auspecious means like good? Like Auspecious day means good day.

So Shiva's name could mean "the Good one" of something.

Vish in Sankrit means "to Perserve" (I read somewhere in the Net) to Vishnu means "He who perserves (the universe)".

So one (Shiva's) name means His character while another (Vishnu's) means His duty.

i dont think Auspecious means good day.....Auspesious means some thing holy...of course it also means good (but u dont say auspecious for good day)...Auspecious means mangalam.....

when one says 'its an Auspecious day' he actually means 'its a holy day'

So one (Shiva's) name means His character while another (Vishnu's) means His duty.

may be true.....lets see what others have to say on this

Guest guest

they are two aspects of the same life.

yes shiva does mean auspicious and vishnu means that which pervades everywhere.

persoanlly, vishnu is the embodiment of god during his phase of preservation. shiva is a word used to describe rudra, the embodiment of god during his phase of destruction.

Shiva is a mental state of being because that is what one must aim for in death. If one believes in reincarnation, then asupiciousness (all that which is good and holy) must be the aim of the virtuous person who is nearing death.

They are just two aspects of existance. Existance consists of the trimurti. You cannot seperate any of the from the other two and have a full totality of Parabrahman/existance.

My dear Thiruvengadam,

I know I make you laugh and hopefully you will be immensely amused by reading the following.

As I have quoted earlier to you, the word 'Shiva' means one who is auspicious. Shivam, Bhadram, KalyAnam, Mangalam and Shubham are all similar words, according to our Thesaurus, NAmalingAnushAsanam.

The name Siva is not attributed to Rudra until Yajurveda, although the word Shivam is used to indicate auspiciusness in Rig Veda. The name was applied to Rudra in Rudram to basically appease him. Shiva is the Aghora Roopa of Siva and, of course, the Ghora Roopa of Siva is Rudra.

On the other hand, Vishnu means one who is all pervading. It is not the Lord's duty; it is His nature or an attribute. It is not His duty to be an Achyuta (One who is never defeated) and it is not His duty to be Krishna (dark skinned One) or VAmana (Handsome youth) or Sridhara (Lord of Shrih or Goddess Lakshmi). They are all His attributes.

Just out of curiosity, why the sudden interest in the meanings of the Lord's names (or attributes)?

I love you, my good young friend. Keep up your good humor! May Lord Krishna bless you!