IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Pankaja_Dasa

Is sound a Person?

Rate this topic

Hare Krishna

TRANSLATION

Earth, water, fire, air, ether, *mind, intelligence and false ego-altogether these eight comprise My separated material energies.

Bg.7.4

TRANSLATION

O son of Kunti [Arjuna], I am the taste of water, the light of the sun and the moon, the syllable om in the Vedic mantras; I am the *sound in ether and ability in man.

Bg.7.8

TRANSLATION

He who *meditates on the Supreme Personality of Godhead, his *mind constantly engaged in remembering Me, undeviated from the path, he, O Partha [Arjuna], is sure to *reach Me.

Bg.8.8

PURPORT

In this verse Lord Krsna stresses the importance of remembering Him. One's memory of Krsna is revived by chanting the mahamantra, Hare Krsna. By this practice of chanting and hearing the sound vibration of the Supreme Lord, one's ear, tongue and mind are engaged.

Bg.8.8 Extract

Pankaja-Conclusion since Krishna material energy emanates from His alone. His name being manifested from His Inconceivable potencies [spiritual] His name alone is Spiritual and is the only 'Truth' in this Material Manifested world.

Brahman, Paramatma, and Bhagavan.

Brahman-

By Me, in My unmanifested form, this entire universe is pervaded. All beings are in Me, but I am not in them.

Bg.9.4

Paramatma-

And yet everything that is created does not rest in Me. Behold My mystic opulence! Although I am the maintainer of all living entities, and although I am everywhere, still My Self is the very source of creation.

Bg.9.5

Bhagavan-

Fools deride Me when I descend in the human form. They do not know My transcendental nature and My supreme dominion over all that be.

Bg.9.11

Most important verse-Jnana-yoga

After many births and deaths, he who is actually in knowledge surrenders unto Me, knowing Me to be the cause of all causes and all that is. Such a great soul is very rare.

Bg.7.19

Translation of the above verse-

bahunam janmanam ante

jnanavan mam prapadyate

vasudevah sarvam iti

sa mahatma su-durlabhah

Pankaja-Karma-yoga, Jnana-yoga, all lead to Krishna. Only then can Bhakti-yoga begin. Therefore, reading Bhagavad-gita by one Surrendered to Lord Krishna, we can very easily goto Krishna, otherwise its impossible.

www.gitamrita.org

Bhaktivedanta Prabhupada-

This is the power of the parampara, disciplic succession. So you must be prepared to meet all opposition because practically everyone is mayavadi. They do not have faith in Krishna's words in Bhagavad-gita. Therefore we have a great responsibility to present Krishna's words without any change.

Letter to: Patita Uddharana, Bombay, 14 November, 1974

Lord Caitanya immediately informed Prakasananda that in the modern age people in general are more or less bereft of all spiritual intellect. When such people come under the influence of Sankaracarya's Mayavadi (impersonalist) philosophy before beginning the most confidential Vedanta-sutras, their natural tendency toward obedience to the Supreme is *checked. The supreme source of everything is naturally respected by everyone, but this natural tendency is hampered when one takes to the impersonalist conceptions of Sankara. Thus the spiritual master of Lord Caitanya suggested that it is better that one not study the Sariraka-bhasya of Sankaracarya, for it is very harmful to people in general. Indeed, the common man does not even have the intelligence to penetrate into the jugglery of words. He is better advised to chant the maha-mantra: Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare/ Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. In this quarrelsome age of Kali there is no alternative for self-realization.

Teachings of Lord Caitanya Chapter Nineteen

Further Talks with Prakasananda

[by Bhaktivinoda Thakura, presented by Bhaktivedanta Prabhupada]

Q. What is the unnatural, fallen position (vaidharmya) of the spirit soul?

A. The downfall of the jiva occurs

1) When a deluded soul accepts the doctrine of non-difference (abheda) and seeks impersonal nirvana; or

2) When a foolish soul seeks proficiency in materialistic pleasures.

A GARLAND OF VAISHNAVA TRUTHS

SRILA BHAKTIVINODE THAKURA

Pankaja- Both of these are impediments in chanting and also to surrender to Lord Krishna. Nobody can Surrender to God without giving up these two things, therefore the conclusion is these two things are creations of the External Energy of God, called Maya.

The *bewildered spirit soul, under the influence of the three modes of material nature, thinks himself to be the *doer of activities, which are in actuality carried out by nature.

Bg.3.27

daivi hy esa guna-mayi

mama maya duratyaya

mam eva ye prapadyante

mayam etam taranti te

daivi-transcendental; hi-certainly; esa-this; gunamayi-consisting of the three modes of material nature; mama-My; *maya-energy; duratyaya-very difficult to overcome; mam-unto Me; eva-certainly; ye-those; prapadyante-surrender; mayam etam-this illusory energy; taranti-overcome; te-they.

This divine *energy of Mine, consisting of the three modes of material nature, is *difficult to overcome. But those who have surrendered unto Me can *easily cross beyond it.

Bg.7.14

Those miscreants who are grossly foolish, lowest among mankind, whose *knowledge is stolen by *illusion, and who partake of the atheistic nature of demons, do not surrender unto Me.

Bg.7.15

TRANSLATION

I am never manifest to the foolish and unintelligent. For them I am covered by My eternal creative potency [*yoga-maya]; and so the deluded world knows Me not, who am unborn and infallible.

PURPORT

lt may be argued that since Krsna was present on this earth and was visible to everyone, then why isn't He manifest to everyone now? But actually He was not manifest to everyone. When Krsna was present there were only a few people who could understand Him to be the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

Bg.7.25 Extract

Pankaja-As you can see there are many impediments on the Path to Know Krishna. The true Bhakta are those who Surrender unto Krishna, and chant His Names.

Always chanting My glories, endeavoring with great determination, bowing down before Me, these great souls perpetually worship Me with devotion.

Bg.9.14

TRANSLATION

To those who are constantly devoted and worship Me with love, I give the understanding by which they can come to Me.

PURPORT

In this verse the word buddhi-yogam is very significant. We may remember that in the Second Chapter the Lord, instructing Arjuna, said that He had spoken to him of many things and that He would instruct him in the way of buddhi-yoga. Now buddhi-yoga is explained. Buddhi-yogam itself is action in Krsna consciousness; that is the highest intelligence. Buddhi means intelligence, and yogam means mystic activities or mystic elevation. When one tries to go back home, back to Godhead, and takes fully to Krsna consciousness in devotional service, his action is called buddhi-yogam. In other words, buddhi-yogam is the process by which one gets out of the entanglement of this material world. The ultimate goal of progress is Krsna. People do not know this; therefore the association of devotees and a bona fide spiritual master are important. One should know that the goal is Krsna, and when the goal is assigned, then the path is slowly but progressively traversed, and the ultimate goal is achieved.

When a person knows the goal of life but is addicted to the fruits of activities, he is acting in karma-yoga. When he knows that the goal is Krsna, but he takes pleasure in mental speculations to understand Krsna, he is acting in jnana-yoga. And when he knows the goal and seeks Krsna completely in Krsna consciousness and devotional service, he is acting in bhakti-yoga, or buddhi-yoga, which is the complete yoga. This complete yoga is the highest perfectional stage of life.

A person may have a bona fide spiritual master and may be attached to a spiritual organization, but still, if he is not intelligent enough to make progress, then Krsna from within gives him instructions so that he may ultimately come to Him without difficulty. The qualification is that a person always engage himself in Krsna consciousness and with love and devotion render all kinds of services. He should perform some sort of work for Krsna, and that work should be with love. If a devotee is intelligent enough, he will make progress on the path of self-realization. If one is sincere and devoted to the activities of devotional service, the Lord gives him a chance to make progress and ultimately attain to Him.

Bg.10.10

Pankaja-Ps. I only put my thoughts so it didn't seem like I was merely pasting verses and was talking to audience. Hare Krishna. I would also like to say, that its not possible to understand who actually is a devotee according to the above verse, Krishna is covered by His own Yoga-Maya, please read the above Purport.

Pankaja-There are many Vaishnavas [Pure devotees] who have commented on the Bhagavad-gita. The Translations [English] may differ slightly but the message is not lost in them as they are received directly from Suddha-Bhaktas [Pure-devotees].

Narayana Maharaja in Bhagavad-gita -Gita.4.1-extract

It is important to protect oneself from self-made commentators, otherwise, realisation of the true meaning of the Bhagavad gita will not be possible. Although milk is pure and nourishing, when it has been touched by the lips of a serpent, it acts like poison. Similarly, topics of Sri Hari are supremely purifying for the material world, but hearing such topics becomes the cause of one's destruction when they are recited by non-devotees such as impersonalists, or those who consider the body to be the self. In this connection, *Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu has also said: mayavadi-bhasya sunile haya sarva-nasa. "If one hears the commentary of the impersonalists, everything is destroyed" (Sri Caitanya-caritamrta Madhya-lila 6.169).

If you repeat Krishna, if you hear Krishna. And now you are repeating but incessantly you repeat without *offense then, very soon, Lord will enter into your heart. And he will occupy your heart. Your heart will be the throne of the Lord. He won't to go from that throne. And then the Lord will be yours.

_Pula, Croatia 1.7.1999.

Bhakti Vaibhava Puri Maharaja

Imaginary Happiness-[Temporary ]-And Brahma-Bhuta Stage, if you read all the above. Then read the following-

TRANSLATION

One who is thus transcendentally situated at once realizes the Supreme Brahman. He never laments nor desires to have anything; he is equally disposed to every living entity. In that state he attains pure *devotional service unto Me.

PURPORT

To the impersonalist, achieving the brahma-bhuta stage, becoming one with the Absolute, is the last word. But for the personalist, or pure devotee, one has to go still further to become engaged in pure devotional service. This means that one who is engaged in pure devotional service to the Supreme Lord is already in a state of liberation, called brahma-bhuta, oneness with the Absolute. Without being one with the Supreme, the Absolute, one cannot render service unto Him. In the absolute conception, there is no difference between the served and the servitor; yet the distinction is there, in a higher spiritual sense.

In the material concept of life, when one works for sense gratification, there is misery, but in the absolute world, when one is engaged in pure devotional service, there is no misery. The devotee in Krsna consciousness has nothing to lament or desire. Since God is full, a living entity who is engaged in God's service, in Krsna consciousness, becomes also full in himself. He is just like a river cleansed of all dirty water. Because a pure devotee has no thought other than Krsna, he is naturally always joyful. He does not lament for any material loss or gain because he is full in service of the Lord. He has no desire for material enjoyment because he knows that every living entity is the fragmental part and parcel of the Supreme Lord and therefore eternally a servant. He does not see, in the material world, someone as higher and someone as lower; higher and lower positions are ephemeral, and a devotee has nothing to do with ephemeral appearances or disappearances. For him stone and gold are of equal value. This is the brahma-bhuta stage, and this stage is attained very easily by the pure devotee. In that stage of existence, the idea of becoming one with the Supreme Brahman and annihilating one's individuality becomes hellish, and the idea of attaining the heavenly kingdom becomes phantasmagoria, and the senses are like broken serpents' teeth. As there is no fear of a serpent with broken teeth, so there is no fear from the senses when they are automatically controlled. The world is miserable for the materially infected person, but for a devotee the entire world is as good as Vaikuntha, or the spiritual sky. The highest personality in this material universe is no more significant than an ant for a devotee. Such a stage can be achieved by the mercy of Lord Caitanya, who preached pure devotional service in this age.

Bg.18.54 Purport extract Prabhupada.

Hare Krishna!