IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Life after death

Rate this topic

Guest guest

One thing i really want to understand or rather know what happens when a person dies..I get so hurt and so very sad of someones death . Even of persons whom i dont know..

What does the Hinduism say about Death and why it bothers us so much.?

Guest guest

the entire 2nd chapter i believe of the Gita is about this. basically you must understand "the wise lament neither for the living nor for the dead".

in hinduism, the soul is seen as a part of Brahman, part of GOd, but not fully part of him. it is everlasting and eternal. the Gita describes very well the process of birth and death. it is said "the death of one who is born is certain, and the birth of one who has died is inevitable". that is of course, if in the latter case, if the soul has not yet achieved moksha.

the reason why a wise man should not lament for the dead is because the body is material, and our attachment to the body is seen as a highly material thing. hindu's aim to transcend the barriers of such thinking and realise the spiritual world beyond. of course you will feel sad for another person who has died, but even this process of material thought is explained in the gita.

'As a man sheds worn out garments, so does the soul discard the dead body'.

born of the union between body and soul, humans are subject to the laws of material nature - emotion being one of them. one who understands that emotion is fleeting and temporary, never constant will be a step closer to full understanding. the attachment towards others is considered material, binding the person to material existance. there are other material natures also that we are bound to. happiness and joy, ignorance, passion, pride, et cetera.

a person caught up in the sway of emotion does not have a stable mind. the gita says clearly, only a peaceful man of stable mind can achieve god. only a happy man achieves peace. and only a man of stable mind unaffected by fleeting emotion could possibly be happy.

this doesnt mean we dont mourn, it means we understand the soul has a greater purpose, and attachment to the dead body is seen as bondage to the material world.

<font color="brown">Pranam Guest ji !

</font color><font color="blue">

According to my knowledge, (but actually I have no knowledge, just discussing), when the chemical engine (body) become old or for any reason it smashes, the SOUL doesn't stay more inside to operate it without air and vibration. Since a long time within the body creates an attraction to it, so after leaving the body, soul moves around the dead-body or living places for some period of time. Some people say, for three days and some other say, 13 days or until an expression by Ved-Mantras (to the soul) that "you are separated from the body and the body is smashed".

In avdhoot Gita, the Ghatakash (air or space in a pot) merges into the Mahakash (space, universe, infinite space). The soul, the ENERGY form of the jiva. In another plane, another dimension. The plane is not far, but we can not realize it because we are not so spiritually developed. A mystic person can realize.

The soul can act in energy form, some times powerfully and also some times helplessly. The matter is what he / she earned (spirituality) in his / her life-time. It is 'out of body' experience. Like in your lucid dream, you experience traveling, fighting, romance, sorrow and flying etc. The soul passes the time in energy form until his / her period of that form as per the karma is not ends. Then he / she is sent to another plane or realm, it may be a body form in this mortal world or another.

</font color>

<font color="brown">

Om Namah Shivay !

Jai Ganesh

Once Maharaj Youdhistar was challenged to answer questions, amongst the many question asked was, what is the most amazing thing in this world?

His answer was death, he said we see everyone around us is dieing and yet an individual is thinking I am not going to die.

Amazing we all make elaborate plans to live but never prepare to die.

Jai Shree Krishna

Guest guest

My understanding is this...

We are all here for one reason alone...to realise god, whatever our definition of god may be.

Just that most of us do not know about it. The fortunate ones are the ones who know this goal. Does that mean the rest of the population doesnt know their goal, and thus will never get there?

No, the rest of the population is not yet aware of their goal. Slowly their lives will move towards that goal. By slowly, i beleive, it takes many lives.

Lets say you started as a person with no faith, and born in an environment where there is no mention of god. Then maybe by the end of the first life, you would have just heard of the lord's name. That little knowledge is accumulated in your karma. Your next life is spirtually a continuation of the previous. you are born in an environment where there is some mention of god's name.

Now say you decided to start praying to god, then when u die, ur karma is much better and you are born in an environment where there is a lot of god consciousness.

In that life you decide that you are going to chant the god's name everyday..great, after death you will move to an environment even closer to god...and so on.

It ends when you finally find that elusive goal. You dont come back again.

What happens in the intermediate between one life and the next, I am not clear upon. But I think there is a mention somewhere that we live in celestial places for sometime depending on the actions we did, and then return to earth to continue on a journey.

I like to think of it as a vacation. Life is the mundane work that we have to do, death is the beginning of a vacation in the celestial places, how long you enjoy there depends on how much money you have in oyour pocket( good karma), and then you return to life to continue your work. With time, you keep getting promoted in your job( by getting closer to god), and earn more money. Finally when you are really advanced in your spiritual quest, you become a billionaire and dont need to ever come back to earth to work.

This is my understanding from the reading I have done. My apologies if there are small/gross mistakes here. Please educate me, I will be happy.

Do you find that the fact of sleep is a problem for belief in an afterlife?

I mean that from the fact of sleep, we know that consciousness is an unstable and discontinuous entity, that consciousness can be lost depending on the state of the brain. My point is that if consciousness were an unbreakable substance, it would be continuous in time, and not discontinuous, interrupted by times of sleep.

Or, you can state that what is immortal is not the consciousness as such, but a "soul", of which consciousness is just a property. So, the fact that consciousness is lost or mental powers are impaired by physiological factors do not imply that soul is affected. But, in that case, how do we know that there is a soul, which is not identical with consciousness, and therefore, beyond our internal experience?

Moreover, if the soul is to go on existing after death, as the soul finds itself conscious and unconscious in this life, what tells us in which state the soul will be later?

Guest guest

"I mean that from the fact of sleep, we know that consciousness is an unstable and discontinuous entity, that consciousness can be lost depending on the state of the brain. My point is that if consciousness were an unbreakable substance, it would be continuous in time, and not discontinuous, interrupted by times of sleep. "

What are you basing the idea that consciousness is lost when sleeping? How are you defining consciousness to begin with?

Why would sleep be a problem for belief in an afterlife in the first place? The Vedic rishis believed that it is only when you are ASLEEP that you are truly AWAKE in a sense. When you sleep, you're recharging, your soul or atma is somewhat disconnected from your body, yet it still exists. It's just not identified with your body at the time. Consciousness isn't "lost". Nothing is ever lost. It simply is displaced, or it simply has relocated.

Guest guest

****** if the soul has not yet achieved moksha **********

What you mean by soul? Is it Atma, the Self ('yam) or purusha seated in Prakriti?

Guest guest

******** we know that consciousness is an unstable and discontinuous entity **************

****** So, the fact that consciousness is lost or mental powers are impaired by physiological factors *********

Unfortunately, you equate consciousness with mental powers. Mental powers -- as you know it -- is externalised for certain purpose but it is not pragnya, which is pure undivided consciousness and pure bliss.

In sleep the consciousness is not lost, else you would not wake up refreshed and say : I slept happily.

During sleep, the externalised mind with its attendant senses are withdrawn in consciousnes (in the lap of Lord) and one does not see the world and ones body also but one is refreshed.

Yogic process is to attain this state while fully awake.

In AUM, the 'M' is this state of consciousness.

I know, my explanation may be deficient. So, I suggest you read and contemplate Mandukya U., and then read the same subject in Chandogya and Br. Upanishads.

RV Book 7 HYMN CI. Parjanya.

1 SPEAK forth three words, the words which light preceded, which milk this udder that produceth nectar. Quickly made manifest, the Bull hath bellowed, engendering the germ of plants, the Infant.

------

4 In him all living creatures have their being, and the three heavens with triply flowing waters. Three reservoirs that sprinkle down their treasure shed their sweet streams around him with a murmur.

---------

6 He is the Bull of all, and their impregner lie holds the life of all things fixed and moving. May this rite save me till my hundredth autumn. Preserve us evermore, ye Gods, with blessings.

Pragnya is one unbroken entity in existence.

««« Why would sleep be a problem for belief in an afterlife in the first place? The Vedic rishis believed that it is only when you are ASLEEP that you are truly AWAKE in a sense. When you sleep, you're recharging, your soul or atma is somewhat disconnected from your body, yet it still exists. It's just not identified with your body at the time. Consciousness isn't "lost". Nothing is ever lost. It simply is displaced, or it simply has relocated. »»»

But when I fall asleep, I am less and less conscious. The consciousness vanishes steadily, instead of being withdrawn from the body. Unless you argue that the consciousness may be unconscious? It is self-contradictory.

You are free to say that when one falls asleep, something gets out of his body (as I am free to believe many things), but don't call it "consciousness".

Guest guest

"No, the rest of the population is not yet aware of their goal. Slowly their lives will move towards that goal. By slowly, i beleive, it takes many lives."

putting myself among the "not yet aware" people... i do not agree that everyone slowly moves towards god

no..

according our behaviour and desires, someone is moving (very few), and almost everyone are going to the opposite direction.. involution.... hell

Guest guest

Hi,

Thank u all for yr postings..but still as normal human beings it is tough though to accept one's death...maybe as age goes by we will start knowing..thats

Guest guest

****** But when I fall asleep, I am less and less conscious. *********

No. It is your mind which is not aware and for good. Mind is not "I".