IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Who is Greater? Shiva or Vishnu?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

i dunno whats up with u guys saying Vishnu is greater than Shiva...i dun like to do such comparision.but still u need to know this...Shiva is the One & Only! Vishnu,etc other deities was brought by the Aryans .Read below:

Among the religions that were incepted in India, Hinduism is considered to be the religion of Vedas and Upanishads, the origin of which is attributed to Aryans

The scholars of Sanskrit believed that Sanskrit was closely related to Latin and Greek in structure and possibly in sound. This led to the theory of a common language originally spoken by the Indo-European people who were considered to be the ancestors of the Aryan-speaking tribes. The Indo-European people emerged from the region of the Caspian Sean and the southern Russian grasslands. Then gradually divided into a number of tribes which spread far afield in search of pasture, to Greece and Asia Minor, to Iran, and finally to India, by which time they were called "Aryans."

who migrated into northern India , some time in the second millenium. The excavations at Harappa and Mohenjodaro in 1921-2 have revealed the existence of pre-Aryan civilization, dating back to about 5000 years, in the northwest of India. That civilization is known as the Indus valley civilization. These indigenes have worshipped Shiv in the form of Linga and had practiced a religion that is quite distinctive from that of Aryans, who worshipped many Gods in personifications of nature. This indigenous religion is known as the Dravidian religion and the culture has been labeled as the Sindhu culture. However, the Indus Valley civilization was declined in the second millenium BC and had almost completely disintegrated by 1500 BC when the Aryans entered the northwest of India.

http://members.aol.com/ukumbar/vsny/Detailed.htm#BM1

Guest guest

Does Hindu religion or any other religion provide answer to the Good and evils of the world?

Why do we jail God in the Temples? and Do'nt you think God in the idol form is a DEAD one?

Why did'nt Gandhi act like Arjuna in fighting the mighty British, instead used nonviolence method and where is that mentioned in Geeta to yield to the enemies?

Guest guest

why do christians pray to a half naked man nailed to a cross?isnt taht a dead body? just like that...

Guest guest

i think guys...we should stop it here...dun quarrel about Shiva & Vishnu,its a sin..im sure u dun wanna end up in Hell later....well.....Brahma,Vishnu,Shiva are one!!!!

The question should not arise if you knew the real truth about the thirumoorthis. But since it has gone this far let me tell you this. We, we the human beings are the greatest than the unseen Brahma, Vishnu or Shiva for tht matter. We can create or destroy this earth. Our capabalities are unlimited. We can create a paradize in a desert, turn salt water into drinking water, clone babies, fly out of this gravity, destroy a nation or a city with a push of a button. There are those who can walk on water, eat fire, hang in the mid are with just a hook pierced to their skin alone, teach animals to do work for man and many other fits that you can'nt ask GOD to do for you now this very minute, but man can do all this upon request. So here if you ask who is the greatest and my answer would be "MAN"

"MAN" Making A Name for himself is called man. Every man has a name otherwise you would not ask for one. You would not even call a stranger "MAN" but Sir, or Ayya. Which means you would want to know his name. That name can mean so much to you becuae he could be a billionaire or a owner of a large company that you need to remember in case you need help from him to secure jobs for your son or daughter. You need to remember him so that later you can approach him for donation to built a temple or needed maoney for medical expenses.

There are so many reasons that you need to know or remember someone elses name. So, here today man is so important than your stupid question of which God is greater.

Go do some research and see where the next TSUNAMI or EARTH QUACK is going to hit. SHIVA OR VISHNU is not going to come down to tell you that coz you have already been given the brain to figure out. So use your brain for some usefull purpose instead of asking nonsense like this.

Guest guest

I choose to reply you because you proved yourself that you have not made any effort to find the TRUTH. Go read Bhagavad Gita and for that read sanskrit before. Or read what Prabhupada said. Shiva is the son of BRAHMA and BRAHMA will be destroyed by VISHNU at the end of MAHA PRALAYA which is otherwise called MAHA KALPA. One kalpa is equal to one day or night of BRAHMA. This shows that both Shiva and BRAHMA are subject to annihilation.

It is obsolute non-sense to say that VISHNU is a worshipper of Shiva. Only Mayavadis will say like that, I mean shaivite brahmins are mayavadis and vaishnavite brahmins understood the Real GOD the almight GOD-HEAD Lord VISHNU.

Guest guest

Just like every fellow creating their own stories you also joined them. The story tellers can't be right which is born out of their own desire and to suit their own wishes.

To help one, one need not worship the same.

yeah skanda purana will say like that only because skanda is the son of Shiva.

Guest guest

Mr.Barney you need to learn a lot, read a lot.

search easy journey to other planets in the search engine.

read it. You'll get knowledge.

Guest guest

"Go do some research and see where the next TSUNAMI or EARTH QUACK is going to hit. SHIVA OR VISHNU is not going to come down to tell you that coz you have already been given the brain to figure out. So use your brain for some usefull purpose instead of asking nonsense like this. "

I would say that giving money and hair to Lord Balaji does not mean anything to the lord. The lord's view is such that if more people where to leave money with him, then the people who come to ask him for money can never disturb him (even if he was in dhyanam). The lord is happy if this turns out to be good luck to those who leave the money and unlucky for those who come to ask for money from him. Well, the lord is keeping track of none, he is sutchitananda.

Lord Balaji will continue to be satchitananda, even if the people who give money to the lord turn out to be losers in the world. Well, this is like saying that the shore temples would have been worshipped even if they had been affected by tsunami. But it is such a resistance-less equation with nature, that it never happened to the coastline temples. Nor would the looser-effect come to the people put money to Lord Balaji.

Guest guest

The "christians' who worship the CROSS as an idol and not What He did are no different from any other "religious" people.

You have not answered my question WHY there are GOOD and EVIL in this world? What is the purpose of GOD?

And so do I and many others like you. Mr.Guest, it is not only me but you too need to learn a lot because it looks like you have yet to know the real TRUTH behind all this concept of religion and GOD. Sometime people like you make me laugh at your petty disputes and imagination.

The real TRUTH lies within you but being ignorant you cannot open that one door which is hidden. While I have and seen the real TRUTH. I know it is hard but you must try otherwise you have failed in life and this could cause you to be born again and again and again into this world to suffer more and more....Please do not say you were not warned.

Guest guest

Your post

(Rudra swallowed only small part of Visha. Major portion was swallowed by Vayu as evident from Rig Veda.

"vAyurasmA upAmanthat.h pinashhTismA kunannamA |

keshI vishhasya pAtreNa yad.hrudreNApibat.hsaha ||"

-----

Vayu squeezed, kneaded and crushed [a small portion] of the

poison for Shiva and drank the poison along with Shiva.

rudreNa saha = along with Rudra. So Vayu is the main consumer of the poison. Rudra is a secondary participant.

Vayu drank the fully potent poison, but gave the crushed and weakened small portion of the poison to Shiva.)

Your reply to another poster

(I have not seen nonsense like this anywhere, but from ignoramus like you.

1. There is no such word in sanskrit as Kesivi

2. The website(sacred text) does not split the word at all.

I cannot frankly answer bull @#$$# like this.)

This guest is a moron and a dangerous liar. He is uncouth and clearly has not imbibed Vedic wisdom. Often He kills off Rudra (the lightning) with his fancy translations.

The verse in reference is from hymns to Kesins – the long haired munis who by their austerity have become radiant (pure light) and have gained the side of the Lord. Two translations are given, which show that Devas do all work for such munis.

Book 10 HYMN CXXXVI. Kesins.

1. HE with the long loose locks supports Agni, and moisture, heaven, and earth:

He is all sky to look upon: he with long hair is called this light.

2 The Munis, girdled with the wind, wear garments soiled of yellow hue.

They, following the wind's swift course go where the Gods have gone before.

3 Transported with our Munihood we have pressed on into the winds:

You therefore, mortal men. behold our natural bodies and no more.

4 The Muni, made associate in the holy work of every God,

Looking upon all varied forms flies through the region of the air.

5 The Steed of Vata, Vayu's friend, the Muni, by the Gods impelled,

In both the oceans hath his home, in eastern and in western sea.

6 Treading the path of sylvan beasts, Gandharvas, and Apsarases,

He with long locks, who knows the wish, is a sweet most delightful friend

7 Vayu hath churned for him: for him he poundeth things most hard to bend,

When he with long loose locks hath drunk, with Rudra, water from the cup.

Another translation (from a Vaishnava site)

10.136.01 The radiant supports Agni, the radiant one supports water, the radiant one supports the heaven and earth, the radiant one is for the visibility of the whole diffused (universe)-- this light is called the radiant one.

10.136.02 The Munis, the sons of Va_taras'ana, wear the yellow dirty (vestments of bark), they follow the course of the wind, when they have assumed the (power of) gods. [i.e., by the might of their penance they become gods].

10.136.03 Exhilarated by the sanctity of the Muni we have mounted upon the winds; behold, mortals, (in them) our forms!

10.136.04 The Muni flies through the firmament, illumining all objects, the friend of each deity, appointed for pious works.

10.136.05 The steed of the wind, the friend of Va_yu, the Muni, who is instigated by the deity, repairs to both oceans, the eastern and the western.

10.136.06 Wandering in the track of the Apsarasas and the Gandharvas, and the wild beasts, the radiant, cognizant of all that is knowable, (is my) sweet and most delightful friend.

10.136.07 Va_yu churned for him, the inflexible (thunder) ground it when the radiant, along with Rudra, drank the water with his cup. [With his cup: the cup is the sun's rays, which absorb the moisture of the earth; the agitation of the wind sends this moisture down again as rain;

Guest guest

Your reply to another poster

(I have not seen nonsense like this anywhere, but from ignoramus like you.

1. There is no such word in sanskrit as Kesivi

2. The website(sacred text) does not split the word at all.

I cannot frankly answer bull @#$$# like this.)

Dear Guest,

Your post is enlightening and your reply is appropriate. You use good logic and your knowledge of scripture/Sanskrit is good. After reading your post and rejoinder, very few will have any doubt whatsoever. From a knowledgeable dasa like you I wish to obtain one clarification.

You have mentioned about mukhya prana. With limited knowledge, I know that both Atma and Purusha are beyond the mukhya prana. Please enlighten, whether Lord Vishnu is Atma or Purusha? If He is both, then what is Lord Vishnu primarily – Atma or Purusha? Which is the primary cause -- avayakta Atma or vaykta Purusha?

Would be obliged with your patient reply.

Guest guest

When the moron guest writes that Shiva is a minor diety, lesser than Vayu, obviously, he does not know that Vayu is a Marut, who are the sons of Rudra -- the lightning.

He has also not read the following.

YV iv. 5. 9.

yo rudro agnau yo apsu ya oshhadhIshhu

yo rudro vishvA bhuvanA.a.avivesha

tasmai rudrAya namo astu

Prostrations to that Rudra who exists in fire, water, and air, herbs and all the worlds.

In his madness, he is making a fool out of himself. And in his replies to others which are rude (like his reply to Shri Ganesh Prasad), he exposes his total alien ness from wisdom.

And also:

This moron's fingers typed the poison which He posted, so, the fingers are greater Diety than this MORON.

Guest guest

Yajur Veda

v. 7. 3.

a Thou art the thunderbolt of Indra, slaying foes;

Guarding our bodies, lying in wait; He who in east, south, west,In the north, as a foe plots against us,

May he strike on this rock.

The gods and the Asuras were in conflict; the Asuras sought to force them from the quarters; the gods repelled them with arrow and thunder bolt; in that he puts down the thunderbolt (bricks), he repels his foes with arrow and thunderbolt; in the quarters [1] he puts down; verily he puts round him those citadels of the gods, which guard the body.

b O Agni and Visnu, May these songs gladden you in unison;

Come ye with radiance and strength.

The theologians say, 'Since they do not offer to any deity, then what deity has the stream of wealth?' Wealth is Agni, this stream is his; wealth is Visnu, this stream is his; with a verse addressed to Agni and Visnu he offers the stream of wealth; verily he unites them with their proper portions; verily also [2] he makes this libation to have an abode; he wins that for desire of which he makes this offering.

The fire is Rudra; now two are his bodies, the dread the one, the auspicious the other; in that he offers the Çatarudriya, he soothes with it his dread form; in that he offers the stream of wealth, he delights with it his auspicious form.

This is also clear from Upanishads:

Nrisinhatapini Upanishad

strayamapyatraapisushhupta.n svapnaM maayaamaatra.n

chidekaraso hyayamaatmaathaayamaadesho na

sthuulapraj~na.n na suukshmapraj~na.n nobhayataHpraj~na.n

na praj~na.n naapraj~na.n na praj~naanaghana\-

madR^ishhTamavyavahaaryamagraahyamalakshaNa\-

machintyamachintyamavyapadeshyamaikaatmyapratyayasaaraM

prapa~nchopashama.n shiva.n shaantamadvaita.n chaturthaM

manyante sa aatmaa sa vij~neya iishvaragraasasturiiyasturiiyaH ..

maatrashchaturtho vyavahaaryaH prapa~nchopashamaH

shivo.advaita AUMkaara aatmaiva sa.nvishatyaatmanaatmaana.n

And Shiva is ONE. There is simply no second.

Asuras think they exist independently. Asuras only see others in Agni Vaisvanara -- which is just the one . (A of AUM) of ONE LORD -- Advaita Shivo.

Guest guest

LORD IS ONE WITHOUT A SECOND

Nrisinhatapini Upanishad

manyante sa aatmaa sa vij~neya ishvaragraasasturiiyasturiiyaH ..

And Shiva is ONE. There is simply no second.

Asuras think they exist independently. Asuras only see others in Agni Vaisvanara -- which is just the one ‘.’ (A of AUM) of ONE LORD -- Advaita Shivo.

Guest guest

Saivites say "my God beats your God" Vaisnavites say "My God beats your God"...

Saivites say "according to MY puranas Shiva beats Vishnu" Vaishnavas say "according to MY puranas Vishnu beats Shiva"...

Oh..Hinduism is DESTROYING itself:)))

Embrace islam There is JUST ONE GOD in islam no competition:))))) you will be saved by embracing islam..

Guest guest

Not so fast, read the verse before

6 Treading the path of sylvan beasts, Gandharvas, and Apsarases,

He with long locks, who knows the wish, is a sweet most delightful friend

One, who is described here as most delightful friend, makes no sense to be described as lesser than Vayu in the next (only in someone’s misguided opinion). I am not even sure the next verse has anything to do with poison.

The verse describes Vayu, with long locks of hair, as a good friend to all, not as you hallucinate.

So what, the Mukhya pran help lord Shiva ? or is it the personality Vayu his friend or Marut?

If you read all of rig 10.136 1-7 your stand has very little credence nor does it mention small portion or week portion as you suggested. It is pure speculation, Bhagvat puran does not support your imegination either.

By whose standard? Since to me the translation need clarification and to my understanding the word saha, means together or along with, can in no way indicate main participant.

When you say that the "A is wlking with B" A is the subject and also the main subject of interest.

Similarly when Sruti says "Vayu drank the poison along with Rudra", Vayu is the main subject of interest and Rudra is merely mentiones as a side participant.

Besides note that Sruti verse from the begining is praising Vayu whose strength and good qualities are praised. Obviously then Vayu squeezes and crushes the poison for Rudra for the simple reason that Rudra Deva could not digest the poison of his own. Only this meaning makes sense where the Sruti verses praise Vayu.

There are puranas also mentioning Siva praying to Visnu.

Brahmanda purANA:

taM dR^iShTvA ghorasaN^kAshaM prAdurbhUtaM mahAviSham.h |

dhyAtvA nArAyaNaM devaM hR^idaye garuDadhvajam.h ||

Seeing that terrible poison emerging, (Shiva) meditated on the Lord Vishnu, Garudadhvaja, residing in his heart.

Garuda purana, Shiva tells Parvati:

aprakAshamidaM devi guhyAdguhyataraM padam.h |

purAhamabdhimathane patagendraviShAvaham.h |

avadhyaM garalaM ghoramaJNbhujamamR^itaM yathA ||

O Devi, this is not a well known fact. At the time of samudra-mathana, before consuming poison, I meditated on the Lord. (It is due to his mercy that ) I was able to drink it as easily as I had the nectar (amR^ita).

Since vedas proclaim neti, neti neti what you say is neti

"neti neti" does not refer to Sruti statements. I merely state as per Sruti.

Guest guest

Embracing Islam is like selling your soul to the devil. It means you have to give up you rational thinking and willingly become a slave to a false scripture that continues to fool millions around the world. It just tries to give a religious justification to hate others.

As for the sectarian Hindus here, they are not much better.

Guest guest

This guest is a moron and a dangerous liar. He is uncouth and clearly has not imbibed Vedic wisdom. Often He kills off Rudra (the lightning) with his fancy translations.

The verse in reference is from hymns to Kesins – the long haired munis who by their austerity have become radiant (pure light) and have gained the side of the Lord. Two translations are given, which show that Devas do all work for such munis.

You have proved yourself to be a fool. If Keshi refers to muni, why in verse 7 Vayu and Rudra are mentioned.

Egoistic fools have no idea of what they are talking about. They can only cut and paste without any understanding and yet claim others as fools.

In the following verse, When some element is mentioned, its abhimaani deity is also included., like fire and Agni Deva etc. The verse starts with the praise of Keshii(Vayu). Otherwise there is no need to praise Vayu in seventh verse explicitly.

1 keshy àgníM keshií viSáM keshií bibharti ródasii

keshií víshvaM svàr dRshé keshiídáM jyótir ucyate

Keshi(Vayu) (supports) fire, Keshi (digested or supports) poison(visham), it is Keshi who supports Heaven and Earth, Keshii is Himself in entire Universe to be seen, they speak of Keshii as this Jyotih(Light).

Inbetween it talks about sons of the sons of Va_taras'ana. Remember these are praises sung by priests on Vayu. So it is said here that great Munis also seek Vayu's support(for knowledge and everything) and follow Vayu.

2 The Munis, girdled with the wind, wear garments soiled of yellow hue.

They, following the wind's swift course go where the Gods have gone before.

3 Transported with our Munihood we have pressed on into the winds:

You therefore, mortal men. behold our natural bodies and no more.

4 The Muni, made associate in the holy work of every God,

Looking upon all varied forms flies through the region of the air.

5 The Steed of Vata, Vayu's friend, the Muni, by the Gods impelled,

In both the oceans hath his home, in eastern and in western sea.

Then in verse 6 it talks about Vayu(Keshii) again. It is said here and verses above that it is because of Vayu that munis succeed in their works.

apsarásaaM gandharvaáNaam mRgaáNaaM cáraNe cáran

keshií kétasya vidvaán sákhaa svaadúr madíntamaH

The supporter(cáraNe)(of living beings), moving(cáran) among apsaras, gandarvas and animals,

Keshii(Vayu) conscious of (our) desires, (is my) sweet and most delightful companion(Sakhaa).

In the following verse it is further clear whi this Keshii is ? Note the appearance of Vayuu and Keshii in this verse.

vaayúr asmaa úpaamanthat pináSTi smaa kunannamaá

keshií viSásya paátreNa yád rudréNaápibat sahá

Vayu squeezed, kneaded and crushed [a small portion] of the

poison for Shiva and drank the poison along with Shiva.

Guest guest

As for the sectarian Hindus here, they are not much better.

Which setarian Hindu(Vaishnavite) wants to kill anybody pal ?

Let your hatred for Vaishnavites not blind you.

Guest guest

Dear Guest,

You have mentioned about mukhya prana. With limited knowledge, I know that both Atma and Purusha are beyond the mukhya prana. Please enlighten, whether Lord Vishnu is Atma or Purusha? If He is both, then what is Lord Vishnu primarily – Atma or Purusha? Which is the primary cause -- avayakta Atma or vaykta Purusha?

Pursuha refers to Purusha in Purusha Sukta. Atma as per Upanishads refers to Brahman and not individual Jivas.

Avyakta is simply a word meaning unmanifest. Even matter becomes avyakta. So it is no special characteristic to distinguish Narayana(Pursuha). HIS rupa is Divya Rupan, param bhavam.

avajananti mam mudha

manusim tanum asritam

param bhavam ajananto

mama bhuta-mahesvaram(Gita 9.11)

The ignorant ones, not knowing My supreme natures as the great Lord of all beings, disregard Me when I assume human form.

Jivatma or Jiva is different and is also avyakta.

Also Mukhya Prana is a Devata(Jiva), not material elements.

Guest guest

When the moron guest writes that Shiva is a minor diety, lesser than Vayu, obviously, he does not know that Vayu is a Marut, who are the sons of Rudra -- the lightning.

Emotional dis-order.

He has also not read the following.

YV iv. 5. 9.

yo rudro agnau yo apsu ya oshhadhIshhu

yo rudro vishvA bhuvanA.a.avivesha

tasmai rudrAya namo astu

Prostrations to that Rudra who exists in fire, water, and air, herbs and all the worlds.

Keshi Sukta or Vayu Sukta also talks of Vayu being the support of Agni, hHeaven and Earth etc.

So Rudra has no special characteristics that Vayu does not possess. This is blatant display of lack of thinking.

In his madness, he is making a fool out of himself. And in his replies to others which are rude (like his reply to Shri Ganesh Prasad), he exposes his total alien ness from wisdom.

And also:

This moron's fingers typed the poison which He posted, so, the fingers are greater Diety than this MORON.

What wisdom displayed by these Shivites here ?

When one does not even know basic sanskrit and spouts nonsense you cannot expect something dofferent.

Guest guest

Yajur Veda

v. 7. 3.

a Thou art the thunderbolt of Indra, slaying foes;

Guarding our bodies, lying in wait; He who in east, south, west,In the north, as a foe plots against us,

May he strike on this rock.

The gods and the Asuras were in conflict; the Asuras sought to force them from the quarters; the gods repelled them with arrow and thunder bolt; in that he puts down the thunderbolt (bricks), he repels his foes with arrow and thunderbolt; in the quarters [1] he puts down; verily he puts round him those citadels of the gods, which guard the body.

b O Agni and Visnu, May these songs gladden you in unison;

Come ye with radiance and strength.

Where does it say , it is Rudra. Yajur Veda gives the mantras or formulas for performing rituals. The context does not even mention Rudra here. See the mention of placing bricks etc.

You see the typical foolishness and finger print of Atanu.

This is also clear from Upanishads:

Nrisinhatapini Upanishad

manyante sa aatmaa sa vij~neya iishvaragraasasturiiyasturiiyaH ..

The upanishad is Nrsimhatapaniya Upanishad. It obviously praises Nrsimha, avatara of Lord Visnu.

Asuras think they exist independently. Asuras only see others in Agni Vaisvanara -- which is just the one . (A of AUM) of ONE LORD -- Advaita Shivo.

Quote the opposite. Asuras think they are themselves Bhagavaan as advaitis. No Vaishnavite ever thinks he is independent and that is why Vaishnavites say you have to serve Narayana even after mukti unlike advaitis who claim equality with Bhagavaan.

Persons of demonic nature do not know what to do and what not to do. They neither have purity nor good conduct nor truthfulness. (16.07)

They say that the world is unreal, without a substratum, without a God, and without an order. The world is caused by lust (or Kaama) alone and nothing else. (16.08)

Guest guest

Your comments

(You have proved yourself to be a fool. If Keshi refers to muni, why in verse 7 Vayu and Rudra are mentioned.

-------

Inbetween it talks about sons of the sons of Va_taras'ana. Remember these are praises sung by priests on Vayu. So it is said here that great Munis also seek Vayu's support(for knowledge and everything) and follow Vayu.)

Oh Yes, moron, you are actually not worth discussing with.

See above. Find out the foolishness.

Keshi is Vayu since verse seven mentions Vayu and Rudra and since sons of Va_taras'ana are just mentioned (possibly to just fool people. Isn't it?)

Why Vayu and Keshi are repeatedly separately mentioned and why suddenly sons of Va_taras'ana are mentioned is really inexplicable.

Bye. All thinking people will understand correctly.