IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
sapphire_petal

Forms of God

Rate this topic

As I have begun to delve into my research of Hindu Beliefs I have of course been told and found for myself that there is such diversity within this religion that it is difficult to place all whom practice it into the same catargory.

However I have also read that the most common belief in a sense of 'god' within Hinduism is that the main creator or god is in all that lives and in everything surrounding us. And that god comes in various forms to earth in ways people can concieve. Therefore creating many gods and godesses of the same being.

However I am searching for a good and full resource listing brief descriptions of each and every form of a sense of the creator in gods and goddesses - have there been any comprehensive listings (preferably with images) of this sort made? Either in a book or website that anyone can recommend to me?

I would also be very interested in knowing a brief summary of the main god or goddess worshipped by indivuals on this message board. If any of you feel open enough with such a thing to share your thoughts, feelings and speak of your devotions here?

All responses are always appreciated and with an ever-curious mind, read respectfully and with thanks for everyone here who is helping me to gain knowledge for my interest. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Guest guest

"And that god comes in various forms to earth in ways people can concieve. Therefore creating many gods and godesses of the same being. "

what have you said is surely hinduism. but inside hinduism are considered also who believes that one particular form is not a form of god, but he's the supreme and he emanates the inpersonal aspect and the other personal ones

or

you have said the hinduism is a big A who generates the forms b, c, d, e, f, g; h.... and so on

and it is right for someone

some other "hindus", maybe the majority, say that the "C" who comes in the earth is a form, an active individual with qualities, features, relationships and activities, and he exists as a form in relative and absolute world and he's the source (not by temporal creation but by eternal emanation) of "A" and "b", "d", "f", "g", "h"..... and of course the individual ordinary souls

that's "personalism", you before spoke about "inpersonalism"

Guest guest

Whatever is suitable as per your maturity that vision and knowledge will be granted to you. Just submit and surrender.

It human nature to analyse and grade unlimited God.

Guest guest

<font color="brown">Namaskar Sopphire ji ! </font color> ('namaskar' our traditional gentility. 'ji' respectable sign)

<font color="blue">

The tree is one and the fruit is same but the branches are in all directions.

The Colors are three but shades are thousands.

Airways are different but the destination is same.

Forms are different when we look from out side but form is one when somebody looks from inside.

If you would like to realize the actual form, you need a real / true master. If you once realize the original form, you will forget your research and will be united with the original form.

The vast Universe is one. There is no discriminations. But there are uncountable Galaxies, Solar systems and Planets. On our planet, there are Caucasians, nigros, mangolians and aryans but the planet is one. The energies for the lives are same. Our thoughts may be sundry.

The energy / power is one but our feelings, imaginations may be different. What is the form of electricity ? Like a spark, like a bulb, like a motor or . . . . . ? Everybody is a connected or unconnected wire. The material (copper, aluminum, brass, iron etc.) and the outer color of the wire is not the matter, when it is unconnected. But when it will be connected, the same and one energy will run through them.

</font color><font color="brown">

Om Namah Shivay ! </font color>

helo, in reply to your quiry about hindu gods,

from what i have been told, there are apparently 333,000,000 gods.

but whats the purpose of all those gods?

well the supreme lord, is lord krishna. 'krishna' meaning all beutiful. maybe if you choose to research into the supreme lord you may discover more about krishna.

lord brahma is the creator of this universe, and lord visnu is the preserver, and lord shiva is the destroyer. don't ask me about the destroyer - shiva, i don't know.

many people see brahma as the supreme, but he is not.

brahma did create the universe, but brahma was created by krsna. brahma was born from krishna's navel. brahma may have created the universe, and may be in charge of it, but the universe is material, above the material universe, there is the spiritual world. which krishna is in charge of.

i read a story of krishna when he was on this planet, that brahma stole krishna's friends and cows, and so krishna expanded himself intohis friends and cows so that the families of the friends wouldn't know. when he did this brahma realised that krsna is the ultimate personality of godhead and offered him prayers.

here is the story on 2 pages,

http://www.krsnabook.com/ch13.html and

http://www.krsnabook.com/ch14.html

i couldn't understand why there were so many demigods and for what purposes, but here is how it was explained to me.

"just like you have the prime minister who is ultimatly in charge of the country, you also have his different ministers who are in charge of the different parts of the government, eg. health, transport, economy. in the same way krsna is in charge, but he doesnt need to do anything because the various demigods are put in charge of the different aspects of the material world, eg. laxsmi for money, ganesh for prosperity and so on. so these demigods only have limited power and are under krsna."

you may already know that hindu's believe in life after death, and where your next life depends on how you life this life or previous lifes, all linked to the soul. but the only way out of this cycle is to surrender to krishna.

i hope this has helped you a little, although i know that my explanations aren't very good.

also some links that may help you.

www.krishna.com

www.krishnasoc.com

http://www.iskcon.com/

(http://www.iskcon.com/about/parampara/srila_prabupada.html)

and also, if you are from the U.K

http://www.iskcon.org.uk/

hare krishna

Guest guest

I don't think anyone worships Brahma, he is either below Vishnu or Shiva in most Hindu sects.

It is BrahmaN that Hindus believe to be supreme, not Brahma. Brahma is a creator god, but he is not considered to be supreme or even worshipped by most Hindus. However most Hindus do worship Brahman, for Brahman is the all-pervasive reality. It is supreme, impersonal, and from which all things emanate.

Guest guest

Wow - Thank you. Actually your explaination of things has been one of the easiest to understand and was not clouded by other messages or advice. You have answered much of my question and the links are also very helpful.

I hope we'll be able to discuss more on here in the future!

oh i see.

thanks.

a friend of mine tells me that his 'cast' is brahman cast (priest). and he was saying that they worship brahma the creator. which is why i was thinking more about brahma not being supreme.

can you tell me more about lord brahman though? i don't realy know much.

no prob sapphire.

yeh hope we can disscus more.

let me know how the research goes...

by the way, what is the research for?

and are you looking into other beliefs/faiths/religions also?