IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Hindu Mythology and Modern Gender roles

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello, I usually read the the forum but dont ever post so this is my first time but i feel like i know all of you. What sparked my post today was a discussion i was having with some friends today which i would like to research a little more and figured i could utilize some knowledge on this forum.

We were discussing the gender roles in Indian society and how the society is definitely male dominated. I have always argued that the origin of these gender role differences like in the physical differences in men and women for every cultures. My friend on the other hand gave me a new perspective which i'd like to maybe get a few more examples of. He suggested that the origin of the gender roles was rather mythologically based and that hymns and stories from the vedas and mahabahatra. Can any of you offer any hymns or specific stories i could read illustrating this principle or would you argue the opposite?

The roles we play in the material world are just gross, distorted mirror images of the roles that are played in the spiritual world, isn't it?

The Srimad Bhagavatam gives very wonderful accounts of what these roles are and how they are played, aren't they?

We, who are perceiving this world thru contaminated senses, enact contaminated behaviors, as we try to lord it over material nature. Frustrated, we then beat the wife, the dog, and the kid. Then we lustfully pride this dead matter we call a body. We see others as having weaker bodies, and then try to lord it over them too. Don't we?