Raghupati Raghava (meaning?)

Rate this topic

Hari bol!

I was wondering if someone could give me the meaning to:

Raghupati raghava raja Ram

patit pavan Sita Ram

isvar allaa tere nam

sabako sanmati de bhagavan

The version done by Jai Uttal on his Spirit album is so sublime. I also like Bhagavan das's version. I give both a listen to almost everyday at work. I can't find a translation yet online, just the lyrics.

as prabhupada has stated it is not a bhajan, but a politically motivated song made by a politican called gandhi

and passed as a bhajan.

so, i do not sing it.

as prabhupada indicates, gandhi was not a mahatma either.

Guest guest

" a politically motivated song made by a politican called gandhi

and passed as a bhajan."

This point of maadhav i agree and i dont find any muslim singing this song its only hindus who sing this song. For them "ISVAR ALLAH TERO NAAM" would be an offence.

Its all that Gandhi's blunder we are suffering now.

Hari bol!

I am now more curious than ever as to what this "bhajan" really means? Would someone be kind enough to post a translation?

Is the allaa actually refering to Allah?

Forgive my ignorance.

And thank you for the replies.

Jai Ganesh

Hari bol!

Re

(I am now more curious than ever as to what this "bhajan" really means? Would someone be kind enough to post a translation?)

I am no linguistic expert to give you exact translation, but you must have gathered it is about Lord Ram of Raghu dinesty who purifies (pavan) the fallen souls(patit)

There is another line that goes, engaged in sleeping at night working in day time when will we worship Sita Ram?

Re

(Is the allaa actually refering to Allah?)

Yes

Hare Krsna!

Jai Shree Krishna

dear ganeshprasad ji,

sri prabhupada has stated that a bhajan is a composition made and sung by a saint like narasinha maheta, mirabai, tukaram or accharyas like shankara, ramanuj, madhva, nimbarka, chaitanya, vallabha, etc.

any composition made by a non saint or non aachary is not a bhajan.

no saint or aachary has sung rabhupati raghav.

therefore, it is not a bhajan and should not be sung

in religious gatherings.

after indepence of bharat in 1947

prabhupada wrote a letter to gandhi.

he urged gandhi to give up politics and join him to spread bhagavat dharma. gandhi did not even reply to him.

this act of gandhi is a clear indication that he was not a saint or a serious hindu. he was a jain at heart and not a hindu. he posed himself as a hindu to push his political angeda of avoiding violence between hindus and muslims.

without ever studying koran and hadith to know how barbaric islam is, he even supported a foreign muslim movement and the invader islam in india, and he did it totally ignoring the best interests of the majority hindus of the country.

in the letter prabhupad told him to give up politics and join him, and indicated that if he does not do it, we would meet death suddenly and unnaturally. and so it happened.

due to gandhi we have a permanent enemy at our bharat's border and also within bharat. sure gandhi had some good qualities, but he screwed up bharat's fate badly and divided the nation for no good reason. we hindus need to fix the problems he has created.

he failed to make the minority muslims non violent, and he made already non violent hindus total cowards by singing this bhajan.

the bad part of the bhajan is the line - iswar allah tera naam, sabak sanmati de bhagavan.

it means (as you know):

"O god, iswar and allah both are your names only, so please give better intelligence to all (hindus and muslims to not fight and live in harmony).

The Hindus took this message and became totally cowards against the invader asuras, and the muslims never took the message and are still bullying over us in our vedic homeland.

The principle of nonviolence in Hinduism (gita) is not absolute, where as it is in jainism which has no god.

gandhi advocated absolute nonviolence, and screwed us up.

in gita there is a verse that ends with

.. sa mahaatma sudurlabha.

in the purport of that verse prabhupada explains what is a mahaatma, and hints indirectly that gandhi was not a mahatma at all, but a politician posing himself as a mahaatma.

according to gopal godse, the elder brother of nathuram who sent gandi to the other world, gandhi never said "hey rama" as his last words. his congressis folowers just told the world that he did. this lie taken as truth caused the hindus to believe that gandhi went to heaven because krishna says that if one remembers him at the time of death, he goes to krishna.

so instead of glorifying gandhi, or singing rabhupati rabhav, we need to glorigy krishna and gita and live by gita.

i request all who understad this

to spread this truth among all the hindus they know.

Jai Ganesh

Re

(any composition made by a non saint or non aachary is not a bhajan.)

A bhagan is a crying of a child in pursuit of his parents we will never know who is crying for real or who has crocodile tears.

Well I do not wish to get bogged down in to what is authentic or not and who has the authority to decide that, you will find in some quarters even Miras bhagans are not authentic.

We are talking about ragupati raghav raja ram; even though gandhiji made it popular I am not sure he actually composed it.

And I ask you what do you find wrong with this bhagan?

Even at Iskcon they sing the first line, not that I am seeking their approval.

Re

( so instead of glorifying gandhi, or singing rabhupati rabhav, we need to glorigy krishna and gita and live by gita.)

Yes we should glorify Krishna and live by Gita but some people will take offence if you say you can’t glorify raghu pati raghav which is in grorifying Lord Ram.

As for Gandhi he will be remembered for his ahimsa and help achieving independence of India weather you like it or not. Granted he made mistakes, but think about this the problems we have with Muslims would not disappear with or without Pakistan, Islam is not Gandhijis creation.

Jai Shree Krishna

Ganeshprasad,

Re:

"A bhagan is a crying of a child in pursuit of his parents we will never know who is crying for real or who has crocodile tears."

This is an interesting point. Thank you. You have me wondering on two other things you said, and I am hoping Maadhav or anyone else could comment:

Re:

"We are talking about ragupati raghav raja ram; even though gandhiji made it popular I am not sure he actually composed it."

Is this so? did Gandhi just popularize this or did he compose it or have a scholar compose it for him?

Re:

"...Even at Iskcon they sing the first line, not that I am seeking their approval."

I am wondering why this is so if Srila Prabhupada spoke against this as being an authentic bhajan? or did I misunderstand this? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dear geneshprasad ji,

below are my response after your lines.

<< (any composition made by a non saint or non aachary is not a bhajan.)

<< A bhagan is a crying of a child in pursuit of his parents >>

that is a prayer, a call, not a bhajan.

technically: a bhajan is a prayer, or a glorification of god, or some dharmic message to the people by saints.

the truth in bhajan is eternal.

akhila brahmaanda maa

eka tun sri har

that is bhajan.

mere to giradhara gopaal

doosaraana koi

that is a bhajan.

any chanting of a vedic mantra is a bhajan.

there is no truth in iswar allah tera naam because

islam has caused hindu genocide for 1000 year

and that by invading the vedic land of ours.

<< you will find in some quarters even Miras bhagans are not authentic. >>

so far i have not seen a mira bhajan that mira did not sing

if mira sung in rajasthani, and if that same song is translated into another language but with teh same message and intent, then that is mira bhajan.

if any one tries to make a composition and passes on as mira bhajan, then we the public need to be vigilant and take proper action.

<< We are talking about ragupati raghav raja ram; even though gandhiji made it popular I am not sure he actually composed it. >>

i am very sure, but not 100 %.

do we have a good historian here to find the truth about this? search the literature and newspapers when this composition appeared first please.

<< what do you find wrong with this bhagan? >>

i said it already.

<< Even at Iskcon they sing the first line, >>

that is a news to me.

which temple? since when?

HK's are very rigid. i do not think they woudl ever sing

rabhupati. prabhupada never sung that.

Re

( so instead of glorifying gandhi, or singing rabhupati rabhav, we need to glorigy krishna and gita and live by gita.)

<< Yes we should glorify Krishna and live by Gita but some people will take offence if you say you can’t glorify raghu pati raghav which is in grorifying Lord Ram. >>

yes, but it is mixed with something that says to hindus to live happily with asuras and the asuric ideology. that is why it should be rejected. besides, when it comes to telling the truth, we do not have to worry if some one who is in ignorance is offended.

<< As for Gandhi he will be remembered for his ahimsa and help achieving independence of India weather you like it or not. Granted he made mistakes, >>

yes, never forget he made many cowards against islam.

<< but think about this the problems we have with Muslims would not disappear with or without Pakistan, >>

it can and will, if we unite and act per gita.

<< Islam is not Gandhijis creation. >>

yes, but gandhi failed to recognise that it is asuric and should have no place in india. we do not want to fail now.

never contine the agenda that caused us the problem.

Jai Ganesh

Pranam Maadhav

Re

(that is a prayer, a call, not a bhajan.

technically: a bhajan is a prayer, or a glorification of god, or some dharmic message to the people by saints.

the truth in bhajan is eternal.)

You will find many bhagan are a call or a helplessness of a devotee, but I am sure we do not see much differences in our understanding on this.

Re

(there is no truth in iswar allah tera naam because)

Truth can be very subjective, in this instance, allah simply means god therefore I do not see any untruth in this.

Re

(islam has caused hindu genocide for 1000 year

and that by invading the vedic land of ours.)

That is very true the followers are barbaric, that is because they do not know the truth about all mighty god whom they call allah.

Re

(so far i have not seen a mira bhajan that mira did not sing

if mira sung in rajasthani, and if that same song is translated into another language but with teh same message and intent, then that is mira bhajan.

if any one tries to make a composition and passes on as mira bhajan, then we the public need to be vigilant and take proper action.)

I am sorry I did not make my self clear, I meant some sampradaya do not recognize her.

Re

(i am very sure, but not 100 %.

do we have a good historian here to find the truth about this? search the literature and newspapers when this composition appeared first please.)

Yes I will be very interested to know this fact.

Re

(that is a news to me.

rabhupati. prabhupada never sung that.)

At the manor there is sri sri Sita ram laxman hanuman deities and most Sunday arti the first line of ragupati raghva raja ram is sung never the whole bhagan,

You see the first line is eternally true statement, even if the politically correct message of ishvar allah may be wrong, I am not saying it is, although I personally do not sing that line because it reminds me too much of the barbaric islam.

re

(yes, but it is mixed with something that says to hindus to live happily with asuras and the asuric ideology. that is why it should be rejected. besides, when it comes to telling the truth, we do not have to worry if some one who is in ignorance is offended. )

It is the greatness of vedic dharma which recognize that the whole creation is of the same lord therefore it yearns to live in peace, sabko san mati de Bhagvan.

And raja Ram is glorified as patit paavan, the purifier of the sinners.

Re

(yes, never forget he made many cowards against islam.)

I don’t know, it took a brave man to stand against the Brits.

Re

(it can and will, if we unite and act per gita.)

the point was Gandhi did not create this problem, he simply did not have answer to this huge problem, even after 55 years the problem still remain.

Re

(yes, but gandhi failed to recognise that it is asuric and should have no place in india. we do not want to fail now.)

The whole world knows it is asuric, it has no answer, Gandhi the man of ahimsa would not have a clue.

Re

(never contine the agenda that caused us the problem.)

How can we forget, what realistic answer do you have to get rid of this huge problem?

Raghu pati raghva raja Ram patit pavan Sita Ram, there is an answer here some where.

Jai Shree Krishna

Here is some references I found online regarding Raghupti Raghava Raja Ram...

This is from a description of the Dandi March:

In 1930, Gandhi launched yet another of his disobedience campaign. Gandhiji wrote to the Viceroy demanding abolition of salt-tax and the Government monopoly of the manufacture of salt. When the Viceroy refused to do so, Gandhiji decided to start the Satyagraha movement by breaking the salt act.

"..."On bended knees I asked for bread and I have received stone instead", Gandhi remarked, and making good his promise, he set out on March 12 with seventy-eight of his followers and disciples from Sabarmati Ashram on the 241-mile march to Dandi on the sea... ...It is said that the roads were watered, and fresh flowers and green leaves strewn on the path; and as the satyagrahis walked, they did so to the tune of one of Gandhi's favorite bhajans, Raghupati Raghava Raja Ram, sung by the great Hindustani vocalist, Pandit Paluskar.... "

(http://library.thinkquest.org/26523/mainfiles/dandi.htm)

This is a description of a request days after Mother Teresa left her body:

"Her relations with Mother's successor and the order in general have become cool since 5 September 1997. A couple of days after Mother's death, when her body was lying in St Thomas's Church, Uthup expressed the wish to sing the hymn Raghupati Raghava Raja Ram, written by Gandhi. Her request was summarily dismissed by the Missionaries of Charity as the hymn was not Catholic but multi-faith. Uthup remains deeply resentful about the incident and entirely blames the nuns for their narrowminedness. I reminded her that they were just following their founder's philosophy."

(www.meteorbooks.com/chap12.html)

a reference that Gandhi changed the words:

"Even the song sung everyday during the “Bhajan session” of Mahathma Gandhi –“Raghupati Raghava Raja Ram Pathitha Pavana Sitha Ram,

Ishwara Allaha Tero Naam Sabhuko Sanmathi Dhe Bhagvaan” is a changed verse not the original one.

Most of the Hindus will be singing this song. But may I know if there is any body who can shed some light, that how many Non-Hindus leave alone singing but at least know the verse."

(www.ourkarnataka.com/Articles/ nation_that_never_learns.htm)

I came across a reference to The medieval age with devotees like Tulsidas, Surdas, Meera, Kabir and others composing bhajans... apparently Tulsidas wrote primarily Ram bhajans and I think, from what I found thus far (and it is getting late for me) that Tulsidas is credited with writing Raghupati Raghava... and Gandhi is credited for changing it.

Boy, I have learned alot over this. Thank you all for your fascinating replies. It was an intereting thing to do a google search on.

pranam ganeshprasad ji.

here i give some more resposes to your lines for the general benefit to hindu readers.

(there is no truth in iswar allah tera naam because)

<< Truth can be very subjective, in this instance, allah simply means god therefore I do not see any untruth in this. >>

you do not see it because you are a hindu.

koran or a muslims never see it, never have.

suppose both were same, then all the muslims of the indian subcontient simply need to give up islam/allah.

doing so, they would loose nothing. will they do it?

can you or any hindu make them do it because "iswar allah tera naam?"

(islam has caused hindu genocide for 1000 year

and that by invading the vedic land of ours.)

<< That is very true the followers are barbaric, that is because they do not know the truth about all mighty god whom they call allah. >>

and our knowing it does not stop us from being slaughtered by them. not a bit. we need to unite to teach them that they need to give up islam or give up bharat. there are non violent ways to do it too.

(so far i have not seen a mira bhajan that mira did not sing

if any one tries to make a composition and passes on as mira bhajan, then we the public need to be vigilant and take proper action.)

<< I am sorry I did not make my self clear, I meant some sampradaya do not recognize her. >>

so what? hinduism or ganesh or krishna is nor recognised by any non hindu of the world. what matter is what we know if it is true and if we are wiling to live by it.

(i am very sure, but not 100 %.

do we have a good historian here to find the truth about this? search the literature and newspapers when this composition appeared first please.)

<< Yes I will be very interested to know this fact. >>

bhakatneal did the research and posted his finding here.

it clearly shows the subject line is gandhi's composition.

even xian do not like the line. why we, the victims of "allah" concept should sing it? dont we have many other good real bhajans?

(that is a news to me.

rabhupati. prabhupada never sung that.)

<< At the manor there is sri sri Sita ram laxman hanuman deities and most Sunday arti the first line of ragupati raghva raja ram is sung never the whole bhagan, >>

iskcon has double standard about gandhi.

they even put gandhi's quote on gita's back cover.

why? because they want to attract hindus, and then tell hindus that Hk's are not hindus. same dirty politics of HK's

about singing this line. they indirectly teach/imply the hindus that the whole song is good. and it is not. if it were, then Hk's need to give up krishna and worship allah, but they are sane enough and would not do it. that proves allah is not iswar.

<< You see the first line is eternally true statement, even if the politically correct message of ishvar allah may be wrong, I am not saying it is, >>

i know it is, as i explained above.

<< although I personally do not sing that line because it reminds me too much of the barbaric islam. >>

also discourage others not to sing it, please.

(yes, but it is mixed with something that says to hindus to live happily with asuras and the asuric ideology. that is why it should be rejected. besides, when it comes to telling the truth, we do not have to worry if some one who is in ignorance is offended. )

<< It is the greatness of vedic dharma which recognize that the whole creation is of the same lord therefore it yearns to live in peace, sabko san mati de Bhagvan.

And raja Ram is glorified as patit paavan, the purifier of the sinners. >>

and the song did not make a single muslim respect hinduism or hindus. so why we hindus should sing it and make our selves deluded?

(yes, never forget he made many cowards against islam.)

<< I don’t know, it took a brave man to stand against the Brits. >>

the brits quit india because of the fear of military mutiny and becaue they were very tired after the WWII. they just gave credit to gandhi. gandhi helped them quit india alive.

besides, we had many patriatic revolutionaries,

and we must never forget their grand sacrifices.

gandhi stole the show at the last minute of the history.

now all the gandhians do is corruption. is it not demoniac,

asuric?

(it can and will, if we unite and act per gita.)

<< the point was Gandhi did not create this problem, he simply did not have answer to this huge problem, >>

yes, but that does not mean there was no correct resposne to the muslim's threat of civil war.

<< even after 55 years the problem still remain. >>

and we need to fix it.

(yes, but gandhi failed to recognise that it is asuric and should have no place in india. we do not want to fail now.)

<< The whole world knows it is asuric, it has no answer, Gandhi the man of ahimsa would not have a clue. >>

nathuram and many other hindus knew (and still many know) very well what islam was and is. gandhi led the wrong way. now when the whole world knows islam is barbaric, then why should we say iswar allah tera naam?

(never contine the agenda that caused us the problem.)

<< How can we forget, what realistic answer do you have to get rid of this huge problem? >>

one way is economic boycott of muslims of india. it is very non violent. "quit islam or quit bharat. this is not a muslim land. this is vedic land and islam has inavded here, get islam out of here. koran and gita are not compatible as jinnah corrctly has said."

<< Raghu pati raghva raja Ram patit pavan Sita Ram, there is an answer here some where. >>

yes, and we need to help the muslims quit islam and live in peace. then rama will forgive thier past sins. else not.

hindus, dare to dream for a day when many muslims would willingly quit islam and build back the rama temple at the babri mosque which is standing on the destroyed rama temple.

it is up to us to make this dream come true.

babri is a monument of the barbric invaders' brutal and unfair inhuman victory over us hindus. it is pain to living hindus.

Guest guest

Maadhav & Ganesh

Talking about bhajans, like GP most of the bhajans are cry of a devotee to the lord. If you listen to marathi abhangs like "Pathitha mee paapi" and its purely a cry of Tukaram to vittal . if you know "sadasiva brahmendra" who wrote "pibare ramasam" & Broohi mukundeti that is of a different order.

Maadhav

I disagree with your poitn that only saints can sing bhajan, when you sing truly in search for HIM anything is bhajan.

Guest guest

i too am a hindu... but u r so naive... when u talk i see an hindu fanatic who doesnt knw the actual meaning of hinduism talkin... who goes only by written words... what is wrong when the mahatma said that GOD is one... call it by any name... and if u dont agree to this what do u hav to say to this... in hindu religion there are thousands of GODS. So u mean to say that they r all different and not one...then i think it is too populated up there as well..... I alwayz thought we as Hindus believe in the one God philosophy.... and we do respect every other religion.... plz do reason with me if i am wrong on this regard????

"Maadhav & Ganesh

Talking about bhajans, like GP most of the bhajans are cry of a devotee to the lord. If you listen to marathi abhangs like "Pathitha mee paapi" and its purely a cry of Tukaram to vittal . if you know "sadasiva brahmendra" who wrote "pibare ramasam" & Broohi mukundeti that is of a different order.

Maadhav

I disagree with your poitn that only saints can sing bhajan, when you sing truly in search for HIM anything is bhajan. "

Well Mr.Madhav i totally disagree with the very concept you have in your mind about other religions and about our religion too........firstly our religion doesnt teach us ..violence and revenge..our religion say's "FORGIVE"...our religion doest tell us to hate anybody....our religion say's spread "LOVE".....well u have criticised Gandhji...but i ask u for what?? because he wrote a verse "Raghupati Raghava Raja Ram........" well i ask u whats wrong in it??...i dont find it incorrect...he never told you or anybody to sing that verse in a temple or something like that....all he wanted is to make ppl like you and other anti-muslim and anti-hindu ,anti-sikh to understand that almighty God is one...it is senceless to fight with each other on his name..this is what he meant....

well if u think that singin this verse makes you or us coward ....its ur misconception....our religion belives in forgiving...

well u said this verse didnt helped us...let me ask u..how we got independence..how hindu-muslim-sikh got united.well Mr.Madhav it realy helped us to gain our independence..y did partition occured did u ever asked yourself ..why? it happened?...because ppl like you never belived in it(verse-: Raghupati raghava raja Ram.....)

most of the indians belived in this verse thats why our india is a secular nation

<<<and our knowing it does not stop us from being slaughtered by them. not a bit. we need to unite to teach them that they need to give up islam or give up bharat. there are non violent ways to do it too.>>>>

Well yes the Islamic rulers from afganistan slaughtered the hindu's...... i wanna ask u

so what are you going to do...slaughter 'em too... well i wanna ask you again ..who are you to punish 'em..are you God? who r you to judge Gandhiji...r u God??....its none of our business to judge or punish any human... your job is to see what u are? and what is your job on earth that god has given you.. The afganis suffered for their sin's ...you can see the shape of afganistan,Iraq,palestine....they are suffering for their sins...

<<<<any composition made by a non saint or non aachary is not a bhajan.

no saint or aachary has sung rabhupati raghav.

therefore, it is not a bhajan and should not be sung

in religious gatherings.>>>>

well "narasinha maheta, mirabai, tukaram " who were these peole ..were they God's???

i dont think so..Mira was a simple women...the bhajans which she use to sing has so much value ...why??...bcoz those bhajans came from true heart....who was kabir??? a simle man...y does.his dohas are considered so valuable...coz those words came from his trues heart..........same with Gandhiji why his verse is so valuable...bcoz it came from his true heart.. even Sri Sai Baba said "SAB KA MALIK EK HAI" whats the difference in SAI BABA'S VERSE and GANDHIJI's VERSE

well its senceless to say "any composition made by a non saint or non aachary is not a bhajan."

but rather let me put it in this way "any composition made by a human is not a bhajan unless it is true from your heart".

.where was sri prabhupada when indians were suffering due to britains??? well he remembered Ghandiji when we got the independence....he wanted to spread hinduta after independence.............y didnt he approached Gandhiji b4 independence to help him.????

Ghandiji has done so much for the people but he had nothing for himself....

well look at yourself..where are you right now...in "USA" look into urself b4 criticisng others.

look its so very easy to criticise a person...

Guest guest

shri madhav...

i would to like to clear few more points from you....

what is ur bottom line... do u mean that Islam is barbaric or their followers are barbaric?? and u mean to say all the followers of Islam are barbaric??

and u said every Hindu knows what Islam is... can u make me understand what Islam is all about... does it preach killings... i would like to understand this....

and what do u mean to say by preaching that gandhi turned Hindus into cowards by preaching non-voilence.... dont be general.. if you are talkin about urself fine... i dont mind....

I dont say that the followers of Islam are good human beings.... we all knw that there are fanatics, who do think only in one direction...but not all of them....

And if they are bad or asuras as u say does that mean that we too follow the same path... why??? what is the reason behind it... We respect every religion because of our strong foundation...our strong culture which allows us to treat everyone in a good manner... That is the reason we are pure.... I might not have read as many bhajans as u might hav read... but i am sure that i do respect my religion like any other true Hindu would do....

and u did also say smthng about converting the muslims into Hindus...

I find it very ridiculous.... U mean to say by converting from muslims to hindus their perception will change... will they stop killing.. will their thinkin change... i dont think so...as it is the holy Kuran doesnt preach killing.... It is only people like you who are on the other side as well who preach these kind of things....

Give me one religion that preaches killing..... Its we as human beings who have taken it the wrong way....

And Raghupati Raghava Raja Ram is a prayer sung by a man who wanted peace to prevail at his place (India)...who believed all religion are one as they all beleive in the Allmightly (Its like different lakes coming from all different angles and joining the sea) who wanted to spread the message of love...thats what the hindu scripture too believes in... isnt it... and according to you he is wrong.... great...

stop preaching things that shows jealousy, hate against other religion and be a true Hindu...

raj

well he remembered Ghandiji when we got the independence....he wanted to

Independance. Well I hope I am reincareted in India for Billions of years. Big Diff between 'independance' and IndePENDANCE. Haribol

You know what Samsara is?