Truth Hurts

Rate this topic

Bhagavad-Gita Chp 18.66

sarva-dharman parityajya

mam ekam saranam vraja

aham tvam sarva-papebhyo

mokshayishyami ma sucah

SYNONYMS

sarva-dharman -- all varieties of religion; parityajya -- abandoning; mam -- unto Me; ekam -- only; saranam -- for surrender; vraja -- go; aham -- I; tvam -- you; sarva -- all; papebhyah -- from sinful reactions; mokshayishyami -- will deliver; ma -- do not; sucah -- worry.

TRANSLATION

Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender unto Me. I shall deliver you from all sinful reactions. Do not fear.

_____

Govindaram: Without Giving up 'I am Hindu' 'I am Christian' 'I am Muslim' one cannot attain Krishna.

Krishna states above give it all up {sarva}-means all. Thats enough. Maybe rename this Forum:

Sanatana Forum /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Guest guest

Ok when Krishna spoke those words were there any christians, muslims, jews etc yet? Dharma does not mean religion in the gita. Wrong translation.

Guest guest

It has been shown again and again how motivated some translators are. It has been shown recently how a verse of Chandogya Upanishad has been altered.

In this case “Dharma” is translated as “all varieties of religion”. Have you heard of Karma, Dharma, and Moksha? What does Dharma mean? If you don’t know then read translations of a few learned people.

XVIII. 66

Sarvadharmaan parityajya maamekam sharanam vraja;

Aham twaa sarvapaapebhyo mokshayishyaami maa shuchah.

Gita as it is

Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender unto Me. I shall deliver you from all sinful reactions. Do not fear. (18.66)

Swami Sivananda

Abandoning all duties, take refuge in Me alone; I will liberate thee from all sins; grieve not.

Verse 18.64-67

Dr. Prasad

Set aside all meritorious deeds and religious rituals, and just surrender completely to My will with firm faith and loving devotion. I shall liberate you from all sins, the bonds of Karma. Do not grieve. (18.66)

PROFESSOR S. RADHAKRISHNAN

(66) Abandoning all duties, come to Me alone for shelter. Be not grieved, for I shall release thee from all evils.

Swami Gambhirananda

Abandoning all forms of rites and duties, take refuge in Me alone. I shall free you from all sins. Therefore, do not grieve. (18.66).

End of citation

Note: “Sarvadharmaan parityajya” is translated as “Abandon all varieties of religion” by SP.

All others translate this as “Abandoning all forms of rites and duties”.

This is intentional, biased and malicious translation. Of course such bigots are also to be found in all religions.

Now read verses 9.1 to 9.3 as translated by various authors

Idam tu te guhyatamam pravakshyaamyanasooyave;

Jnaanam vijnaanasahitam yajjnaatwaa mokshyase’shubhaat. (9.1)

Raajavidyaa raajaguhyam pavitramidamuttamam;

Pratyakshaavagamam dharmyam susukham kartumavyayam. (9.2)

Ashraddhadhaanaah purushaa dharmasyaasya parantapa;

Apraapya maam nivartante mrityusamsaaravartmani.(9.3)

Swami Sivananada

The Blessed Lord said:

1. I shall now declare to thee who does not cavil, the greatest secret, the knowledge combined with experience (Self-realisation). Having known this, thou shalt be free from evil.

2. This is the kingly science, the kingly secret, the supreme purifier, realisable by direct intuitional knowledge, according to righteousness, very easy to perform and imperishable.

3. Those who have no faith in this Dharma (knowledge of the Self), O Parantapa (Arjuna), return to the path of this world of death without attaining Me!

Dr. Prasad

Lord Krishna said: I shall reveal to you, who do not disbelieve, the most profound secret transcendental knowledge together with transcendental experience. Having known this you will be freed from the miseries of worldly existence. (9.01)

This Self-knowledge is the king of all knowledge, is the most secret, is very sacred, it can be perceived by instinct, conforms to righteousness (Dharma), is very easy to practice, and is timeless. (9.02)

O Arjuna, those who have no faith in this knowledge do not attain Me, and follow the cycles of birth and death. (9.03)

Gita as it is

The Supreme Personality of Godhead said: My dear Arjuna, because you are never envious of Me, I shall impart to you this most confidential knowledge and realization, knowing which you shall be relieved of the miseries of material existence.(9.01)

This knowledge is the king of education, the most secret of all secrets. It is the purest knowledge, and because it gives direct perception of the self by realization, it is the perfection of religion. It is everlasting, and it is joyfully performed.(9.02)

Those who are not faithful in this devotional service cannot attain Me, O conqueror of enemies. Therefore they return to the path of birth and death in this material world.(9.03)

(1) The Blessed Lord said:

To Thee, who dost not cavil, I shall declare this profound secret of wisdom combined with knowledge, by knowing which thou shalt be released from evil.

(2) This is sovereign Knowledge, sovereign secret, supreme sanctity, known by direct experience, in accord with the law, very easy to practice and imperishable.

(3) Men who have no faith in this way, not attaining to Me, O Oppressor of the foe (Arjuna), return to the path of mortal living (samsara).

Swami Gambhirananda

However, to you who are not given to caviling I shall speak of the highest secret itself, which is Knowledge combined with experience, by realizing which you shall be free from evil. (9.01)

This is the Sovereign Knowledge, the Sovereign Profundity, the best sanctifier; directly realizable, righteous, very easy to practice and imperishable. (9.02)

O destroyer of foes, persons who are regardless of this Dharma (Knowledge of the Self), certainly go round and round, without reaching Me, along the path of transmigration which is fraught with death. (9.03)

End of citation:

Note: So, Sarva Dharma is paritajya but the knowledge of the Self is highest secret to be embraced.

Also please note the difference in translation of 9.3 by SP on one hand and all others on the other hand.

I repeat 9.3 again

Ashraddhadhaanaah purushaa dharmasyaasya parantapa;

Apraapya maam nivartante mrityusamsaaravartmani.

Swami Sivananda

3. Those who have no faith in this Dharma (knowledge of the Self), O Parantapa (Arjuna), return to the path of this world of death without attaining Me!

Dr. Prasad

O Arjuna, those who have no faith in this knowledge do not attain Me, and follow the cycles of birth and death. (9.03)

Gita as it is

Those who are not faithful in this devotional service cannot attain Me, O conqueror of enemies. Therefore they return to the path of birth and death in this material world.(9.03)

(3) Men who have no faith in this way, not attaining to Me, O Oppressor of the foe (Arjuna), return to the path of mortal living (samsara).

Swami Gambhirananda

O destroyer of foes, persons who are regardless of this Dharma (Knowledge of the Self), certainly go round and round, without reaching Me, along the path of transmigration which is fraught with death. (9.03)

“Ashraddhadhaanaah purushaa dharmasyaasya” is translated as “Those who have no faith in this Dharma (knowledge of the Self)” by all except SP, who translates it as “Those who are not faithful in this devotional service cannot attain Me”.

Only a few foreigners will be fooled for some time. But like George Harrison they will also sing hymns for Uma Mahesvar.

Upadrashtaanumantaa cha bhartaa bhoktaa maheshwarah;

Paramaatmeti chaapyukto dehe’smin purushah parah.

The Supreme Soul in this body is also called the spectator, the permitter, the supporter, the enjoyer, maheshwarah and the Supreme Self.

Yo maamajamanaadim cha vetti lokamaheshwaram;

Asammoodhah sa martyeshu sarvapaapaih pramuchyate.

He who knows Me as unborn and beginningless, as the great Lord of the worlds, he, among mortals, is undeluded; he is liberated from all sins.

All religions have exoteric elements wqho hate others and other religions. All religions also have esoteric elements who love all equally as required by the Lord.

************Maybe rename this Forum:

Sanatana Forum********************

Maybe you do not know the meaning of Sanatana.

What you are basically saying is we must remember we are Hindus at the time of death, not Krishna God,

___

Gita as it is

Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender unto Me. I shall deliver you from all sinful reactions. Do not fear. (18.66)

Swami Sivananda

Abandoning all duties, take refuge in Me alone; I will liberate thee from all sins; grieve not.

____

Now tell me the difference between Dharma/Duty/ and Religion. If you can i I will give you 1 Trillion dollers.

Guest guest

********Now tell me the difference between Dharma/Duty/ and Religion. If you can i I will give you 1 Trillion dollers.*********************

Compare "Abandon all duties/ all meritorious deeds and religious rituals/ all forms of rites and duties" on one hand and "Abandon all varieties of religion" on the other.

If you don't know the difference between "varieties of religion" and "duties/deeds/rituals" then Lord help you.

There is only one Lord. And He can be remembered from within any religion/caste/culture etc. On the contrary, a dhoti clad Lord, as you percieve, may not be appealing to all.

Rig Veda says that those who have dressed the Lord in splendorous clothing do not know Him. Actually He has no clothes. He is pure intelligence.

********What you are basically saying is we must remember we are Hindus at the time of death, not Krishna God,**********

Where did I say this? Hindu, Christian, and worse still ISKCON are mere names. Most don't know the Lord.

At the time of death, Lord has to be remembered. And different people know Lord by different names and different forms: manifest or unmanifest or concsiousness. Lord Krishna has not taught anything different from what Upanishad's teach -- to know Lord as the Self (concsiousness) and to firmly abide by the Self.

The Supreme Soul in this body is also called the spectator, the permitter, the supporter, the enjoyer, maheshwarah and the Supreme Self.

Yo maamajamanaadim cha vetti loka maheshwaram;

He who knows Me as unborn and beginningless, as maheshwaram, he, among mortals, is undeluded; he is liberated from all sins.

Love Lord Krishna but do not ridicule Sanatanah Dharma. That way you cut off your source and root.

Guest guest

Why need to read so many translations of geetha on sarva dharma?Its obvious."Sarva" means all."dharma" means righteous path.It can be duty,religion anything.

I understand it as "leave everything and surrender to me".what is there to debate on this?

Guest guest

At the time of death, Lord has to be remembered. And different people know Lord by different names and different forms:

no.. only a few religious paths know with sufficient precision the lord and his names to be transferred in the lord abode in life or after the death

A person should know when he's defeated.

If you don't know the difference between "varieties of religion" and "duties/deeds/rituals" then Lord help you.

What does Sarva mean again?

Love Lord Krishna but do not ridicule Sanatanah Dharma. That way you cut off your source and root.

Oh so now its Sanatana Dharma? What happend to Hindu Dharma?

Please don't be misintrepretating Bhagavad-Gita. Sarva-dharma means just that. Being a HIndu won't help you when you goto Yamaraja house. Thats what I said before this in NOT Hindu its Sanatana. And even you yourself said it.

This is what you said before:

Note: "Sarvadharmaan parityajya" is translated as "Abandon all varieties of religion" by SP.

All others translate this as Abandoning all forms of rites and duties".

This is intentional, biased and malicious translation. Of course such bigots are also to be found in all religions.

I have to admit your level of understanding is astonishing. At one point you quote Swami Sivananda, then another you say Swami Prabhupada gave wrong translation. You accept one devotee and reject another. Our dutie is to Upheld religion {Krishna says this if you remember.

At ' <font color="purple"> The end </font color> ' Krishna says in most astonishing verse:

Bhagavad-Gita Chp 18.66

sarva-dharman parityajya

mam ekam saranam vraja

aham tvam sarva-papebhyo

mokshayishyami ma sucah

SYNONYMS

sarva-dharman -- all varieties of religion; parityajya -- abandoning; mam -- unto Me; ekam -- only; saranam -- for surrender; vraja -- go; aham -- I; tvam -- you; sarva -- all; papebhyah -- from sinful reactions; mokshayishyami -- will deliver; ma -- do not; sucah -- worry.

TRANSLATION

Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender unto Me. I shall deliver you from all sinful reactions. Do not fear.

---

Guest guest

**********A person should know when he's defeated.*****************

A purusha is never defeated.

*********Oh so now its Sanatana Dharma? What happend to Hindu Dharma? *******

Hinduism is the name of the Sanatanah Dharma that alone reveals the knowledge of the Self.

**************** Being a HIndu won't help you when you go to Yamaraja house. **********

Check out the name of this site. If you wish then rename this site. You act as if you have already kicked Yamaraja and Hindus are doomed.

**********I have to admit your level of understanding is astonishing. At one point you quote Swami Sivananda, then another you say Swami Prabhupada gave wrong translation. You accept one devotee and reject another. Our dutie is to Upheld religion {Krishna says this if you remember. *******************

We are not talking of my level of understanding at all.

I quote Swami Sivanada, Dr. Radhakrishnan, Swami Gambhiranand and others to show that your interpretation that Lord wants us to forsake Hinduism is gibberish.

Yo maamajamanaadim cha vetti loka maheshwaram;

He who knows Me as unborn and beginningless, as maheshwaram, he, among mortals, is undeluded; he is liberated from all sins.

Hinduism is the only religion that boldly states that Self is the Supreme Lord. Christ was crucified for proclaiming this.

<< Without Giving up 'I am Hindu' 'I am Christian' 'I am Muslim' one cannot attain Krishna. >>

To say "i am not a hindu" is to say "i am not a vedic person or sanatana dharmi or vrnasrami"

and that is to say "i am not a krishna devotee, and i do not care for gita or the vedas."

besides, when krishna said "sarva dharman" in the quotd verse, he meant the dharmas of all four varnas,

not religions like islam, xianity, etc.

one who is surendered to krisnna is free to do and dharma of any varna as appropriate according to the current situation's priority.

to do nothing is dangerous, says krishna.

dear govindaram, please understand the above.

once there was only sanatana dharam in this wirld.

so, there was no need to say "sarva dharman".

same is true 5000 years ago.

give up all false currency and just use "this currency"

means there is one real currency, and the rest is counterfeit. so, one cannot say give up all currency including what is real currency.

hinduism is similar to real currency that should not be given up.

yes, the malpractice of hinduism must be given up.

A purusha is never defeated.

Who said anything about being a Purusha, anyway you are a soul. Only Purusha male is Krishna.

Hinduism is the name of the Sanatanah Dharma that alone reveals the knowledge of the Self.

I dare you to give me a verse in Vedas which says this.

Check out the name of this site. If you wish then rename this site. You act as if you have already kicked Yamaraja and Hindus are doomed.

Yes rename the site.

Hinduism is the only religion that boldly states that Self is the Supreme Lord. Christ was crucified for proclaiming this.

The only Lord talking right now is your fully blown self important ego

Take shelter of Krishna the Supreme Autocrat. You were born in this world crying. Hare Krishna

To say "i am not a hindu" is to say "i am not a vedic person or sanatana dharmi or vrnasrami" and that is to say "i am not a krishna devotee, and i do not care for gita or the vedas."

I am Krishna devotees means I am not a Hindu, try to understand this simple point.

Hindu is bodily concept of life.A Yogi never says he is Hindu.

To the mundane man it is required to sometimes say I am Hindu. But we must declare the Supremacy of spiritual con. Not body.

besides, when krishna said "sarva dharman" in the quotd verse, he meant the dharmas of all four varnas, not religions like islam, xianity, etc.

He meant are you sure? Thats plain stupid. We must understand what Krishna is really saying.

one who is surendered to krisnna is free to do and dharma of any varna as appropriate according to the current situation's priority.to do nothing is dangerous, says krishna.

One who is Surrendered is above Dharma. Varna is only a way to Krsna, means and the end. Living in Varna won't get you Krishna. Dharma means what? Krishna says to Arjuna yes fight Dear Partha. At the end Krishna says Sarva Dharman, give it all up and Just Surrender Unto me. Without Surrender Dharma means nothing. The point is to Surrender. Krishna taught this He also lived according to Dharma. But even He Godhead Himself IN the most famous verses declares:

sarva-dharman parityajya

mam ekam saranam vraja

aham tvam sarva-papebhyo

mokshayishyami ma sucah

Surrender everything unto Him. {Krsna}

Guest guest

What Krishna is really saying? In their Gita commentaries - the Gaudiya acharyas Visvanatha Cakravartin and Baladeva Vidyabhusana do not agree with your skon interpretation.

You are vaishnava? What Vaishnava acharya agrees with your skon interpretation? Sridhara Svami? No. Ramanuja, Madhva? No. Who? Nobody.

You just revealed your utter stupidity.

Iskcon is Gaudiya Matha. Goto Gaudiya Matha and ask them if Prabhupada Gita is bona-fide. Anyway you make excuses dumb/ignorant fools always deride Krsna's devotees. Yet try to please Krsna by offering Him prayers. This is complete neophyte mentality. The lowest position of a devotee. I say devotee because in reality we are all Krsna's servants.

Guest guest

"I am Krishna devotees means I am not a Hindu, try to understand this simple point"

I am a worshipper of Krishna, and I also worship Shiva, Vishnu, Durga... Everybody calls me a Hindu. And I call myself a hindu. If you call me something else, then thats your problem and your organisation's problem.

So you are wrong. Its your opinion.

Its better you rephrase it as " I am ISCKON, and I am not a Hindu". May be that makes sense and nobody would object to it.

Hindu is not a bodily concept. You are wrong again.

Hinduism is the spirit. Hinduism prevades my mind, my soul, my actions.... Bodily all are the same. Its a way of life that define you as a hindu. Hinduism is a complex, vibrant culture. Its a set of beliefs... its an all encompassing omniscient religion.

Dharma does not have a proper english equivalent. SO no point in argueing over it.

Guest guest

He is giving the names of acharyas, that dont go with ISCKON.

Its your job to disprove it.

YOu cannot just sit in the couch and pass the buck.

Guest guest

"Hindu is not a bodily concept. You are wrong again."

do not cheat.. everyone in this site is speaking of hinduism as a material denomination

politic, contrapposition aganst other religions, land, conversion, numbers of followers....

a baby born by hindu parents is a hindu

a baby born by vaishnava, shaivite, advaita parents is not vaishnava, shaivite and advaita... first he has to make his personal journey in consciousness then he will be identified... but for hindu is not important, you count indian population, subtract muslims adn the few christian, buddhist, jainist, zoroastrians,sikh then you obtain hindus

in jagannath temple in puri they forbid the entrance to not hindus... they do not make spiritual distinctions. You can be an indian/hindu completely ignorant about vedic culture and atheist and enter, and you can be an american, french, japanese, australian completely devoted to sanatana dharma and be considered non hindu and forbidden to see jagannath

even the greatest vaishnava haridasa takura, exalted acharya, who gave initiation and holy name even to mayadevi, associate of sri chaitanya mahaprabhu was left outside because he was muslim by birth

so what's hinduism if not a material/political/human/denomination?

so "sarva dharma..." leave all material denominations and identifications and surrender to krsna

He is giving the names of acharyas, that dont go with ISCKON. Its your job to disprove it. YOu cannot just sit in the couch and pass the buck.

What do you mean don't go with Iskcon? Ramanuja is Rama-Bhakta. We are Krishna. Madhva was also Vishnu-Bhakta. They maybe subtle differences.

The main difference is most don't accept Mahaprabhu as Incarnation of Krishna. But do accept Him as a devotee. Which was exactly the thing Mahaprabhu was trying to enforce.

Unless you speaking about some political situation then theres not much I can add.

Guest guest

YOur arguement does not in anyway refute my claims.

I dont understand why you bring people of different races into this arguement. If they prove they are hindus by belief, nobody is gonna say NO to their entry. Off course, they might have had beef sandwich in the flight on the way to India, or might have had sushi.

What if they are not accepted in Puri? Its not the only hindu temple in the world. And there might be some reasons why they do not allow non hindus into the temple.

Guest guest

I dont understand why you bring people of different races into this arguement.

--because if hinduism is (sometimes) racist... it is not a spiritual concept but a bodily designation

If they prove they are hindus by belief, nobody is gonna say NO to their entry.

--i go in puri this august,come with me.. and i am not indian.. i am practicing dharma from 1982 and i am initiated by a 92years old very famous holy man orissi spiritual master.. i got the same diksa that he gives to his indian disciples.. but i cannot enter..

Off course, they might have had beef sandwich in the flight on the way to India, or might have had sushi.

--if you make these hypotesis you also demonstrate that hinduism is a body business.. a westerner has to be a meat eater even if he is serious in practicing dharma.. so indians yes and others not... very spiritual!!

And there might be some reasons why they do not allow non hindus into the temple.

--so you have demonstrated now that you consider hindus only the indians

so hinduism is a bodily (=racist) concept... sanatana dharma is not a bodily concept

hinduism is not sanatana dharma..

simple...

Guest guest

You hk's have your own forums to post your views on. Do you expect them to be accepted here? What is your business here?