Pankaja_Dasa

The Original Guru

Rate this topic

<center>

<font color="blue"> <h3>The

Original

Guru</h3>

</font color> </center>

The original spiritual master is Nityananda Prabhu. He is the general representation of guru. In the spiritual world, he is the guru-tattva principle in the four primary mellows of devotion, excluding the conjugal mellow. In madhurya-rasa, Baladeva's representation is Ananga Manjari, the sister of Radharani.

The position of Nityananda is greater than that of Baladeva. Why? He is distributing prema, divine love. And what is prema ? It is higher than all other achievements. If one can give divine love, then all others must be subordinate to him. If Krsna is subordinate to Mahaprabhu, then of course, Balarama is subordinate to Nityananda. They are similar, but when magnanimity is added, Balarama becomes Nityananda. That Balarama who can distribute divine love, who can perforrn that higher function has come here as Nityananda. Our foundation must be solid and proper. Then the structure should be erected. Otherwise the whole thing will go down (heno nitai vine bhai radha krsna paite nai ) . We can get a solid foundation from Nityananda Prabhu.

One day Nityananda Prabhu came to Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu's house in Mayapura. Mahaprabhu's mother, Saci devi, and Visnupriya devi, his wife, were also there, as well as other devotees. Suddenly, Nityananda arrived, quite naked.

Mahaprabhu managed to give him some cloth. And perhaps He was concerned that the devotees might have some misconception about Nityananda Prabhu. So, to prevent this he asked Nityananda Prabhu for his kaupina, his loincloth. He tore it up and distributed it amongst the householders that were present, instructing them, "Keep a piece of his loincloth, as a kavaca, an amulet, and tie that with a thread to your arm or wear it around your neck. Please keep it with you. Then you will be able to achieve sense control very soon."

Nityananda Prabhu has control of his senses to the extreme degree; he does not know anything of this world. His vairagya, indifference to the world of mundane transaction, is of such a degree that he can appear naked amongst both male and female. So, the grace of Nityananda Prabhu will construct a firm foundation for us. If there is a firm foundation, then we may build a great structure over it. If we have faith in Nityananda, then that faith can bear any amount of weight. It won't betray us.

So, Srila Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada has laid stress amongst the Westerners on devotion to Nityananda. First, we must get His mercy. And then, afterwards, we can get the mercy of Radha-Krsna. Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu means Radha-Krsna (sri krsna caitanya radha-krsna nahe anya ). First achieve the mercy of Nityananda Prabhu, and then Gauranga Mahaprabhu, and then Sri Radha Govinda. In these three stages, we must raise ourselves up.

Devotee: How does one attain the mercy of Lord Nityananda?

Srila Sridhara Maharaja: One who finds more inclination to serve Gauranga and his dhama, his transcendental land, and his servants can get the mercy of Nityananda Prabhu. Nityananda is very much kind to one who has some special tendency towards Gaura lila.

"Take the Name of Gauranga"

Nityananda Prabhu walked from door to door in Bengal, saying, "Take the name of Gauranga! I'll become your servant. You can purchase me if you only take the name of Gauranga. I'll be sold to you without any price or condition." That was his temperament. When Mahaprabhu was in Puri, he sent Nityananda Prabhu to Bengal. At that time, he said, "Without you I don't find anyone who can spread the holy name of Krsna, or devotional service to Krsna, in Bengal. They are more engaged in the tantric method and the smrti. They make too much of these trifling things. They are puffed up, thinking that they have finished all knowledge. So, Bengal is a very hard field for preaching. Without you, no one will be able to awaken the masses. Separate yourself from the higher castes and approach the masses with the holy name of Krsna. You are the fittest person for this work."

Nityananda Prabhu went to Bengal, but without trying to preach the glories of the holy name of Krsna, Nityananda began to preach the name of Gauranga. Nityananda Prabhu found that there is some danger of thinking that Krsna's pastimes are very much akin to the mundane debauchery, lying, and stealing of a degraded soul. Krsna's pastimes are of a highly confidential nature. It is very difficult for the masses to understand the purity of krsna-lila. The mass mind cannot accept krsna-lila as the highest attainment. So, Nityananda Prabhu found it would be difficult to preach krsna-li1a, but he found it would be easy to preach gaura-lila, where Krsna has come to distribute himself to the public with so much capital in his mind. Gauranga means a dynamo which wants to distribute Krsna, surchared with the most magnanimous, intensified, pity and kindness for the ordinary people, with the greatest affection even for the criminals. Nityananda Prabhu wanted to bring them in connection with Gauranga, for then krsna-lila would automatically be within their fist. So, he began to preach about Gauranga, not Radha-Krsna, as commanded by Mahaprabhu. So, Nityananda Prabhu says, bhaja gauranga kaha gauranga, laha gauranga nama, "Worship Gauranga, speak only of Gauranga, and chant the name of Gauranga."

There is another instance of the relationship between Krsna and Balarama and Gauranga and Nityananda, which is described in the Caitanya-bhagavata. Saci devi had a dream that Krsna and Balarama were sitting on a throne, and Nityananda was fighting with Balarama, "Come down from the throne. It is no longer Dvapara-yuga. The age of Kali has come and my master Gauranga must occupy your position on this throne. You come down!" Balaram began giving some opposition. "No, no, why should we come down? We have been sitting on this throne for such a long time." Nityananda Prabhu began forcibly taking him down, and Balarama submitted slightly. Nityananda Prabhu said, "My master Gauranga wants to take the position now. The age for him has come." So Nityananda is very partial to Gauranga. He says, "Krsna is far off. My Lord is Gauranga. "

So, we must be very grateful to Nityananda Prabhu, for he is our guru. And guru's grace is so important that Raghunatha Dasa Goswaml says, "Radharani, I want your grace. Without you, I don't want Krsna separately. I never want Krsna without you." That should be the healthy attitude of a devote. This has been explained by

Srila Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura, in his Gurvastakam :

yasya prasadad bhagavat-prasado

yasyaprasadan na gatih kuto 'pi

dhyayan stuvams tasya yasas tri sandhyam

vande guroh sri-caranaravindam

" I bow down to the lotus feet of sri gurudeva. By his grace, we achieve the grace of Krsna; without his grace, we are lost. Therefore, we should always meditate on sri gurudeva, and pray for his mercy."

This is the position of sri guru, by whose grace we can get everything, we can get the grace of Krsna, and without whose grace, we have no other prospect. So, in this way, we must have reverence for he who has given us our first connection with Krsna consciousness.

Guru Is Not a Doll

But at the same time we offer reverence to gurudeva, we must not conceive that the, guru is a doll, a lifeless figure. Because we are familiar with a particular figure and accept that as our guru we should not become misled. The important thing is what he says, his instructions. That is attracting our inner hearts. I am not this body. I am the inquirer. That thing which is satisfying me, drawing the inquirer to the inquired--I must try to locate that thing in him. I must not rely on material calculation. I am not this body. Who am I, the disciple? Am I only this body, this figure, this color, this caste? Or am I this temperament, this scholarship and intellectualism? No. I am he who has come to seek. Who is the party within me, and who is the party in guru? We must be fully awake to that. What is the inner thing? I have come for that. We must be awake to our own interest.

There is the relative principle and the absolute principle. We shall have to eliminate the form, ignore the form; we shall always have to keep the spirit. Otherwise, we become form worshipers, idol worshipers.

Guru: More than Meets the Eye

It is said, of course, that the connection with the spiritual master is eternal (caksudana dilo yei, janme janme prabhu sei ). But we must not identify our guru with the appearance we perceive with our physical senses. Our inner identification of him will be clarified according to the growth of our vision. When our vision increases and takes shape from material to transcendental, his look will also change accordingly.

A man is sometimes known most externally, by his uniform, and then by his body, then by his mind, then by his intelligence. As much as our eye will develop to see things rightly, what we are seeing will also change its face. Krsna says, acaryam mam vijaniyan, "Ultimately it is I who am the acarya. " It is the function of divinity, and in different stages there may be different forms. Different acaryas may work at the same time. The knowledge, the ideal, is growing from subtle to gross. And the depth of the vision of the eye will disclose the different figures of the different acaryas. It will go in different rasas to the highest position, by a gradual process of realization. Otherwise our knowledge will be based on the material conception. And to force the material conception onto divinity is a crime, it is ignorance, it is erroneous.

We have to free ourselves from the snare of identifying reality with the physical form presented to our senses. The eyes deceive us; they cannot give us the proper form or color. The ears cannot give us the proper sound. The concrete reality is beyond the experience of our senses. So, then what is that thing? Because we are in such a low position, we can gradually go there to the inner world only with the help of our guru.

But how can we recognize our guru? Sometimes in the winter he wears a particular dress, and in the summer he wears another dress. If we attach so much importance to the external dress, then what should we do? Should we think that the dress is indispensible to the body? The guru may come to us in a particular body. Suppose the guru appears as a young man. When he has become an old man, and the young form has grown into another form, how are we to recognize him? How are we to differentiate? Again, in one birth, he may have come in a particular body, and another time, he may appear in a different body. The same guru may appear differently at different times. How are we to recognize him? From the external consideration we must go to the internal.

If I am devoid of flesh and blood, and I exist only in a subtle body, then I shall also find my guru there, in a subtle body. The demigods, gandharvas, and siddhas, the perfected beings in the heavenly planets, also have their gurus, but they do not have a material body, nor does their guru have a material body.

So, by eliminating the external conception, we have to enter into the internal, and that will be all-important to a progressive disciple. That does not mean that one should disregard the physical form of our guru. But the real importance is within. We must worship the remnants of the guru, his coat, his boot, his sandal. But that does not mean that his shoe is superior to his body; we must serve his person. In a similar way, if we are eager to do some physical service for him, if we want to massage his feet, but he does not desire that, and says, "No, no, no," then should we do that? Our internal obedience to him will be higher. In this way, we have to make progress from the gross to the subtle.

Who is guru? Where is he to be located? What is his ideal? What does he really want me to do? These things must not be dismissed from our ears. We must not give only formal adherence. We want the spiritual way. The spiritual man is going to the spiritual world to have the spiritual realization. It is all a spiritual transaction. And all conceptions of mundane, whether physical, mental, or intellectual, should be eliminated in our journey if we want to go to the inner world of substance.

Progress Means Elimination and Acceptance

This attitude will decide our real progress, our real design of life. Our fulfillment comes always from the inner side. If one can catch up that thread, then he can go and get things of that higher, spiritual quality. We may appreciate the beautiful figure, style, movement, and intellectual delivery of the spiritual master, and so many other things may be appreciable. But what should be the highest focal point of our realization? What should be our highest aim, for which we will eliminate everything else?

Progress means elimination and acceptance. And our spiritual life must always be a dynamic thing, otherwise we shall be dead. Progress means acceptance and elimination. The scientists also say this in their theory of natural selection, "survival of the fittest." Nature is selecting some and eliminating others. Life is dynamic; we are living in a dynamic world. Everywhere we find acceptance and elimination. That is progress. And our life must be progressive, not static.

To get the grace of Nityananda Prabhu, we should try as far as possible to study the character of Sri Gauranga Mahaprabhu, to serve him, to serve his dhama, and his devotees. That will easily help us attain the grace of Nityananda Prabhu. And there will always be so many practical dealings in our present stage, but we must always keep the highest ideal over our heads. With this ideal we shall be able to make progress. Our ideal, our highest model-- that is our all in all in life. To be acquainted with the conception of the highest ideal and to be on the path of realization of that goal is the greatest wealth in one's life.

Srila Raghunatha Dasa Goswami prays, "I only aspire after one thing. I cherish the hope that one day I may be welcomed into the plane where Radhika and Madhava are in their glory, sitting and playing." That should be our prospect. This is found in Raghunatha Dasa Goswami's prayer to his guru. He says:

nama-srestham manum api saci-putram atra svarupam

rupam tasyagrajam uru-purim mathurim gostavatim

radha-kundam giri-varam aho radhika-madhavasam

prapto yasya prathita-krpaya sri gurum tam nato 'smi

"I am fully indebted to sri gurudeva. Why? He has given me so many things. He has given me the highest conception of the holy name of Krsna, the highest form of sound which contains the highest form of thought, aspiration, ideal, everything. And next he has given me the mantra. " The name is there within the mantra. Without the name, the mantra is nothing. If the name of Krsna is withdrawn and replaced with another name, the mantra will give the opposite result. The name of Krsna is all in all. And within the mantra, the name is couched in a particular way as a sort of prayer.

And then he says, "He has given me the service of that great saviour, the son of Mother Saci, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, who is like a golden mountain standing to show the direction of krsna-lila. And gurudeva has brought me to the lotus feet of Mahaprabhu's most favorite personal assistant, Svarupa Damodara, who is the representation of Lalita devi, the most favorite friend of Radhika .

"Then he has brought me in connection with Sri Rupa, who was ordered to distribute the highest kinds of devotional love, rasa. " Vaidhi bhakti, the worship of the Lord in awe and reverence, is of a lower order. But raganuga-bhakti, spontaneous love, the hearts innermost dealings, was distributed through Srila Rupa Goswami. Mahaprabhu considered Sri Rupa the best to deal with raganuga-bhakti.

Dasa Goswami says, "Then, by his grace, I have achieved the association of Srila Sanatana Goswami, who adjusts our position in relation to raganuga-bhakti.

He explains the path of vaidhi-bhakti, and gives us sambandha-jnana : the knowledge of what is what, a proper acquaintance with the environment." Then he says, "Gurudeva has given me Mathura Mandala, where Radha and Govinda have their pastimes; where the forest, the hills, every creeper, shrub, and grain of sand, everyone is bearing the acquaintance of Radha-Krsna lila, and wherever I shall cast my glance they will help me in my remembrance of Radha and Govinda. I have received all these things from my gurudeva : Vrndavana, where the cows and the milkmen have their village constructed. I am becoming acquainted with their association, their nature, and their feelings of love for Krsna.

"By the grace of gurudeva, I have become acquainted with Radha-kunda, the favorite place of Radha and Govinda for their pastimes, and this great Govardhana. And lastly he has given me the hope that one day I can get the service of Sri Sri Radhika and Madhava. I have been given all these assurances by my gurudeva, so I bow my head with all my respects to his lotus feet."

So, if we are conscious of all these spiritual matters, then we can think that we have approached our gurudeva properly. What is our guru? What is his mission? It is filled with all these things. Devoid of that, what is our interest?

What is ISKCON?

Devotee: There are so many visions about the International Society for Krsna Consciousness (lSKCON). But what should the real vision of ISKCON be?

Srila Sridhara Maharaja : In this verse, Raghunatha Dasa

Goswami gives the real acquaintance of what is lSKCON (nama-srestham manum api saci-putram atra svarupam ). ISKCON must not deviate from this line We have not come here to deceive ourselves, but to fulfill ourselves. ISKCON will fulfill everyone's inner demand, even extending to the vegetables and stones, taking them to the feet of Mahaprabhu and the gosvamis. From village to village, every one, in every place, should be hunted and approached, "Take the name of Krsna! Come under the flag of Mahaprabhu! This grand worldwide mission will thrive like anything; it will touch the heavens and cover the Earth, and other planets also. That was the aim of Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, and we understand and appreciate that.

Guest guest

If he was the original Guru then what about all the guru's that were present before him? Were they inferior?

Specifically Sri Caitanya Caritamrta and of-cource others.

Also Caitanya Bhagavata by Vrindavana Dasa Thakura mentions, but you need faith to understand.

Maharaja mentioned above is said by His Divine Grace! This!

<center>

--Bhaktivedanta Srila Prabhupada--

Srila Vrndavana dasa Thakura was an incarnation of Vedavyasa and also a friendly

cowherd boy named Kusumapida in krsna-lila.

In other words, the author of Sri Caitanya-bhagavata, Srila Vrndavana dasa

Thakura, the son of Srivasa Thakura's niece Narayani, was a combined incarnation

of Vedavyasa and the cowherd boy Kusumapida.

</center>

Bhagavatam says Krishna is Original Guru and Krishna is Guru to Brahma. Then disicplic succession..

Maybe these will convince you. These are not saying Lord Nitai, these are saying about the Authority of Purity of Maharaha {Vrindava Dasa Thakura}:

http://caitanyacaritamrta.com/adi/8/41/en1

Bhaktivedanta VedaBase: Sri Caitanya Caritamrita Adi 8.41

narayani -- caitanyera ucchishta-bhajana

tanra garbhe janmila sri-dasa-vrindavana

SYNONYMS

narayani -- Narayani; caitanyera -- of Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu; ucchishta-bhajana -- eater of the remnants of food; tanra -- of her; garbhe -- in the womb; janmila -- took birth; sri-dasa-vrindavana -- Srila Vrindavana dasa Thakura.

TRANSLATION

Narayani eternally eats the remnants of the food of Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Srila Vrindavana dasa Thakura was born of her womb.

PURPORT

In text 43 of the Gaura-ganoddesa-dipika, a book written by Kavi-karnapura that describes all the associates of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and who they previously were, there is the following statement regarding Narayani:

ambikayah svasa yasin namna srila-kilimbika

krishnocchishtam prabhunjana seyam narayani mata

When Lord Krishna was a child, He was nursed by a woman named Ambika, who had a younger sister named Kilimbika. During the time of Lord Caitanya's incarnation, the same Kilimbika used to eat the remnants of food left by Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. That Kilimbika was Narayani, who was a niece of Srivasa Thakura's. Later on, when she grew up and married, Srila Vrindavana dasa Thakura was born from her womb. A devotee of Lord Sri Krishna is celebrated in terms of devotional service rendered to the Lord; thus we know Srila Vrindavana dasa Thakura as the son of Narayani. Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura notes in this connection that there is no reference to his paternal ancestry because there is no need to understand it.

___

http://caitanyacaritamrta.com/adi/13/48/en1

Bhaktivedanta VedaBase: Sri Caitanya Caritamrita Adi 13.48

caitanya-lilara vyasa, -- dasa vrindavana

madhura kariya lila karila racana

SYNONYMS

caitanya-lilara -- of the pastimes of Lord Caitanya; vyasa -- the authorized writer Vyasadeva; dasa vrindavana -- Vrindavana dasa Thakura; madhura -- sweet; kariya -- making it; lila -- pastimes; karila -- did; racana -- compilation.

TRANSLATION

Srila Vrindavana dasa Thakura, the authorized writer of the pastimes of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, is as good as Srila Vyasadeva. He has described the pastimes in such a way as to make them sweeter and sweeter.

_

Guest guest

No shastra says nityananda or balarama is original guru. If you have quote please correct me. They do say Krishna is as you pointed out, not n or b.

Hare Krishna! Nice picture, Govindaram! To the previous posters, please first learn about Krishna and his expansion Balram before posting such nonsense on this forum. Indeed govindaram, I can clearly see who the boss is /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Guest guest

Specifically Sri Caitanya Caritamrta and of-cource others.

what are the other sastras or vedas that confirm your point, ple point a generic source not the one followed by the iskonites.

Jai Ganesh

A picture speaks a thousand words.

Yes very nice picture depicting a wonderful past times of the lord.

In Krishna Avatar the role is reversed in Ram Avatar Laxman served the Lord as younger brother. It is quiet natural in vedic culture the younger brother to serve the elder.

The guest who asked for reference has not posted any thing that is nonsense, why are you so defensive?

The lord as parmatma is our guru, he resides in out heart and guides us, the question is do we listen?

Jai Shree Krishna

Teachings of Lord Chaitanya by Bhaktivinoda Thakura, edited by A.C Bhaktidedanta Swami Prabhupada.

www.vedabase.net

Caitanya Bhagavata. Ok I'll just paste some verses that may help or not as is the case.

--

http://srimadbhagavatam.com/1/3/23/en1

Bhaktivedanta VedaBase: Srimad Bhagavatam 1.3.23

ekonavimse vimsatime

vrishnishu prapya janmani

rama-krishnav iti bhuvo

bhagavan aharad bharam

SYNONYMS

ekonavimse -- in the nineteenth; vimsatime -- in the twentieth also; vrishnishu -- in the Vrishni dynasty; prapya -- having obtained; janmani -- births; rama -- Balarama; krishnau -- Sri Krishna; iti -- thus; bhuvah -- of the world; bhagavan -- the Personality of Godhead; aharat -- removed; bharam -- burden.

TRANSLATION

In the nineteenth and twentieth incarnations, the Lord advented Himself as Lord Balarama and Lord Krishna in the family of Vrishni [the Yadu dynasty], and by so doing He removed the burden of the world.

PURPORT

The specific mention of the word bhagavan in this text indicates that Balarama and Krishna are original forms of the Lord. This will be further explained later. Lord Krishna is not an incarnation of the purusha, as we learned from the beginning of this chapter. He is directly the original Personality of Godhead, and Balarama is the first plenary manifestation of the Lord. From Baladeva the first phalanx of plenary expansions, Vasudeva, Sankarshana, Aniruddha and Pradyumna, expands. Lord Sri Krishna is Vasudeva, and Baladeva is Sankarshana.

____

http://caitanyacaritamrta.com/introduction/en1

Bhaktivedanta VedaBase: Sri Caitanya Caritamrita, Introduction

After offering respects to Lord Caitanya, Krishnadasa Kaviraja begins offering them to Lord Nityananda in the seventh verse of the Caitanya-caritamrita. The author explains that Lord Nityananda is Balarama, who is the origin of Maha-Vishnu. Krishna's first expansion is Balarama, a portion of whom is manifested as Sankarshana, who then expands as Pradyumna. In this way so many expansions take place. Although there are many expansions, Lord Sri Krishna is the origin, as confirmed in the Brahma-samhita. He is like the original candle, from which many thousands and millions of candles are lit. Although any number of candles can be lit, the original candle still retains its identity as the origin. In this way Krishna expands Himself into so many forms, and all these expansions are called vishnu-tattva. Vishnu is a large light, and we are small lights, but all are expansions of Krishna.

--

http://srimadbhagavatam.com/7/15/45/en1

Bhaktivedanta VedaBase: Srimad Bhagavatam 7.15.45

Significant in this verse are the words jnanasim acyuta-balah. Jnanasim, the sword of knowledge, is given by Krishna, and when one serves the guru and Krishna in order to hold the sword of Krishna's instructions, Balarama gives one strength. Balarama is Nityananda. Vrajendra-nandana yei, saci-suta haila sei, balarama ha-ila nitai. This bala -- Balarama -- comes with Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, and both of Them are so merciful that in this age of Kali one may very easily take shelter of Their lotus feet. They come especially to deliver the fallen souls of this age. papi tapi yata chila, hari-name uddharila. Their weapon is sankirtana, hari-nama. Thus one should accept the sword of knowledge from Krishna and be strong with the mercy of Balarama.

Guest guest

What have you proven with this? And by the way, the words of Bhaktivinoda Thakura and A.C Bhaktidedanta Swami Prabhupada are not shashtra

Guest guest

the words of pure masters are non different by the words of sri krsna

sri krsna is the original spiritual master, he does this task through the personality of sri balarama, and nityananda is the eternal manifestation of sri balarama in gaura lila

so there's not much to quarrel

Guest guest

Your personal beliefs are fine. Tell yourselves whatever is needed to strengthen your faith in what you believe.

No harm...but you have no business trying to enforce your sectarian beliefs on others. Especially when you cannot prove they are correct. This iskon view of 'original guru' should have been posted in an iskon forum...not here.

No harm...but you have no business trying to enforce your sectarian beliefs on others. Especially when you cannot prove they are correct. This iskon view of 'original guru' should have been posted in an iskon forum...not here.

--

Your fool No.1. Dont' be.

Guest guest

Your personal beliefs are fine

-this is an explanation of the reason why nityananda is the supreme spiritual master..

it is not a sectarian belief because nityananda is balaram.. so maybe, as hindus, on balaram we agree

if you want to discuss you have to deny with logic and shastras that gauranga is not krsna and nityananda is not balaram... this is the real matter of discussion

This iskon view of 'original guru' should have been posted in an iskon forum...

••that balarama is the original guru is preached eternally by vaishnava sampradaya... that nityananda is balarama is preached by gaudya vaishnava sampradaya from 1492

so this dharma is surely more ancient of your one... and this is a sanatana dharma forum

any problem?

Guest guest

For most of us misfortunes are unwelcome. These are popularly believed to be the result of past sins and displeasure of God. However, this view is only partially correct. It is true that one of the reasons for unhappiness is past sins, but all unhappy events do not necessarily have their roots in past misdeeds. It may appear paradoxical, that at times misfortunes also befall us because of the grace of God and accumulation of past virtues. Unhappiness may also be felt while undergoing hardships in course of virtuous activities. When God shows His condescension towards a highly evolved soul and wills to release that soul from the bondage of sins of materialism, He creates distressful situations in life. Such unhappy events jolt the individual out of his slumber and to realize the futility of attachment to worldly things. The shock of unhappiness in such cases serves as a Divine Wake-Up-Call.

Our addiction to worldly attachments, infatuations and passions is so strong and alluring that we cannot be easily de-addicted by a casual approach. There are fleeting moments of wisdom in life when man thinks that life is extremely valuable and must be used for achieving some lofty objective, but soon thereafter attractions of the world drag him back to the erstwhile lowly routine of animal-like existence. Through misfortunes, God exerts a strong pull to extricate the devotee from the self-created quagmire of ignorance. Mishaps wake us up from our slumber in ignorance and darkness.

Unpleasant, heartbreaking happenings, such as a near fatal accident or disease, death of an intimate friend or relative, sudden financial loss, humiliation, or treachery by a trusted friend, may occur to give a strong shock treatment so that one may correct the course of his life.

Sometimes, the virtuous samskars accumulated on account of our past karmas also produce unhappy events. Virtuous karmas also act as shields to ward off sinful temptations. The former do not permit the sinful tendencies to dominate and offer stiff resistance. Many a times commitment of sin is foiled by some unforeseen obstacle. If a thief breaks his leg while goings for theft, it should be taken as a consequence of his past virtuous karmas.

Those who work hard for moral or social upliftment of the society and meticulously follow their course of duty, face stupendous problems, hardships and lack of resources. They also have to face antagonism of people who find such activities detrimental to their vested interests. Besides, they are tormented by unscrupulous in many ways. Persons treading the royal highway of righteousness have to face hardships at each step. Misfortunes are like goldsmith’s furnace, in which the validity of past virtues and tolerance to hardships undertaken for virtuous deeds are tempered. After going through misfortunes, the character and personality of an upright person becomes all the more lustrous.

Hence while going through misfortunes, do not be under the impression that you are a sinner and a wretched person deserving Divine Wrath. It could be that the distress is a blessing in disguise, with hidden boons, which you are unable to foresee at the moment because of lack of clear vision.

Innocent persons may be found suffering because of unfair ideologies or oppression by others. Any one may become a victim of exploitation, suppression and injustice. The exploiter has to face the consequences of his karmas in due course of time, but the sufferer should not take such trials as outcome of his prarabdha.

A student has to face many hardships in course of his education. A mother suffers while bringing up the child. Ascetics, social reformers and righteous persons undergo unbearable hardships while working for reformation of the society and evolution of the human soul. Such voluntarily undertaken hardships, confrontations and problems faced in course of fulfillment of self-assumed responsibilities cannot be considered as consequences of past misdeeds.

It would not be proper to regard every "happy-go-lucky" person as a virtuous person in his past life or every sufferer as a sinner of his past birth. Such a concept would be unjustified and misleading. There is no reason for someone to have self-pity or feel remorseful on such a false premise. The course from karma to prarabdha follows an occult and mysterious process known only to the Creator.

We have to remain ever vigilant towards our duties and responsibilities and leave the rest to impartial Supreme Justice of God. Let us face the misfortunes and good fortunes of life with equanimity. God has made us responsible only for our duties as human beings. There could be many reasons for successes-failure and happiness-unhappiness. Only the Creator knows their purpose in His Absolute Wisdom. Let us entirely offer ourselves to the Divine to be used for the free and unobstructed flow of His Will through us.

Guest guest

Your personal beliefs are fine. Tell yourselves whatever is needed to strengthen your faith in what you believe.

No harm...but you have no business trying to enforce your sectarian beliefs on others. Especially when you cannot prove they are correct. This iskon view of 'original guru' should have been posted in an iskon forum...not here

The demon's right if you stop critizing it it'll stop blasphming KRISHNA